Best LSAT course?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

Best LSAT course?

Post by Buster65 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:17 pm

I'm looking for some guidance on best LSAT course. Their are several option both on-line and in person. Their are also self study books. Need the best bang for the buck and any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

loslebenrl483

Re: Best LSAT course?

Post by loslebenrl483 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 am

I only have experience with the GRE. But I've found that the study guides/books are updated very often. The upside is that you can find used copies of the second to last version of them for very cheap. This can be helpful if you are looking for a lot of practice questions.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 am

I got a 178 on the LSAT. The only preparation I did was practice on the actual past versions of the test. A lot of them are available. There is no substitute for the real thing.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 am

For in-person courses, I think Testmasters is probably the best, especially if you are shooting for a high score. Princeton Review and Kaplan tend to be a bit more "lowest common denominator" focused. Testmasters also has the most stringent requirements for instructors (170+ on a real test instead of 165 on a company-administered practice test).

Self-study is also a reasonable option, especially if you are at the level where you can understand what you did wrong on a given question on your own. Other than past tests, the powerscore "bibles" are well-regarded.

As a final piece of advice, don't take the LSAT lightly. Unless you are one of those rare gifted folks who can waltz in and score a 175+ without studying, count on spending hundreds of hours towards mastery. Don't give up until you are at a 170+ or have exhausted your attempts.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 am

sawhorse wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 am
I got a 178 on the LSAT. The only preparation I did was practice on the actual past versions of the test. A lot of them are available. There is no substitute for the real thing.
Statistically, 99.9% of test takers will not be in your position. But you already knew that :happy

thatme

Post by thatme » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 am

TestMasters, BluePrint Prep, or PowerScore. The latter two are very similar to TM (started by/related to former TM people), so it can come down to schedule and what's available near you.

I would stay away from Princeton Review or Kaplan for the reasons stated above.

Source: me. I used to work for one of the three I recommended and scored in the high 170s. That being said, I didn't take a class when I prepped and just used old tests. If you're reasonably smart and willing to put in the work, it definitely can be done without a class.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 am

I suggest going with PowerScore. Their instructors have scored in the 99th percentile for the LSAT to be a teacher. For comparison, Kaplan only requires 90th percentile. With the instructors to have received such a high score, they have a solid understanding of the test and can provide the tricks and tips to help you get a better score.

looking

Post by looking » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am

what is lsat ???

snailderby

Post by snailderby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 am

1. If you don't plan to take a full prep course, at least take a look at the PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible. That was the one prep book that I used (other than old practice tests), and I found it very helpful.

2. I'd also second what alfaspider said about taking the LSAT seriously. I only studied for a month or so in the evenings and did OK, but even 2 or 3 points on the LSAT can make a big difference (for scholarships and admission). Don't feel like you have to jump straight into law school. For some people, taking a gap year to prepare for the LSAT (while doing some sort of work on the side) might be their best option.
Last edited by snailderby on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 am

looking wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am
what is lsat ???
Law School Aptitude Test

Gill

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 am

When I took it I was told to practice by working crossword puzzles. Guess it worked!
Gill

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:11 am

I used the book and took the book's practice tests over and over and honestly did pretty badly on all of the book tests. In the real test (which I came out saying I'd chew a broken light bulb before ever taking it again), I ended up in the 90 something percentile. Accepted into the law school I applied to. Becoming a patent lawyer was my safety net strategy during a big layoff time in my industry. I found another job in my engineering field and dropped the law path.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am

The powerscore bibles are well regarded for self study, but the big thing is getting old exams and practice, practice, practice. Self-study is fine, but it takes a fair amount of self-discipline.

For in-person course I used testmasters. I was working a demanding full-time job, and found that the course kept me on a good schedule as I progressed through the material. A good course will also admimister old exams in a strict timed setting—which helps to keep you honest.

Hit the low 170’s in the end. I would be careful about what schools are worth the cost, but that’s a different conversation.

hand

Post by hand » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 am

Liberty1100 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 am
I suggest going with PowerScore. Their instructors have scored in the 99th percentile for the LSAT to be a teacher. For comparison, Kaplan only requires 90th percentile. With the instructors to have received such a high score, they have a solid understanding of the test and can provide the tricks and tips to help you get a better score.
I don't know the companies in question, but not sure I agree with your reasoning. Good performance on standardized tests results from a combination of innate skill (reading speed, vocabulay, ability to think logically, ability to deal with stress) and learned skills (test taking techniques, subject matter specific knowledge etc.)

My view is the more innate skill, the less need for learned skill to do sufficently well on these types of apptitude tests. Ideally teachers would be those who sucessfully improved their scores though learned techniques and skills - and who are good at explaining and motivating. 99% on the LSATs dosen't guarentee any of these, and perhaps is negatively correlated with sucessfull use of learned skills since if you have the innate skills why bother with the learned skills.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 am

I did the self-study method. I bought a couple of the self-study guides and as many past tests as they would sell me. The past tests were the key, as the questions repeat over and over again over the years. The content of the questions changes, but the structure and type of questions repeats. Once you figure out how to answer each type of question, you'll do well. I don't remember my ultimate score, but I remember it being in the 94th percentile. I remember that so well because I finished law school in the top 6% of my class, which I thought the LSAT folks would find validating.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am

to those of you who have taken the test, how many hours of studying elapsed before "you just got it", kinda like having things slow-down bullet-time style, metaphorically speaking. I remember when I was preparing for the old (1600-scale) SAT's, somewhere after memorizing a good bit of vocab and doing enough practice exams, the reading comp and analogy questions just didn't faze me anymore. Do you experience the same thing on the section after certain number of hours spent?

I'm sort of dabbling here and there for now (which I know to be a poor strategy), as I don't yet know when I'll be taking the test. I have looked through the section and can probably get ~ 80-85% of the questions right, but i'd be ~10 minutes over the time limit. Does doing 5-7 practice exams help with speed? The down side to the old real exams is that they don't come with explanations. Sometimes, I would know i went for the red herring and got something wrong, but other times, a solid explanation would have really helped.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am
to those of you who have taken the test, how many hours of studying elapsed before "you just got it", kinda like having things slow-down bullet-time style, metaphorically speaking. I remember when I was preparing for the old (1600-scale) SAT's, somewhere after memorizing a good bit of vocab and doing enough practice exams, the reading comp and analogy questions just didn't faze me anymore. Do you experience the same thing on the section after certain number of hours spent?
Yes, I found that to be true, particularly on the analytical reasoning questions. On those, you can learn tricks and shortcuts to answer them quickly.

Bogle_Bro

Post by Bogle_Bro » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Google top law schools forum

That forum dives into the deepest lsat rabbit holes

Bibles , then manhattan lsat books, plus several practice tests ... like 30... and you should be good.

Spending Lots of time reviewing and going slow until everything clicks is important or else youre just burning through material

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:41 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am
I think somewhere around a month of part-time study is enough to get the basics down, and around two-months is where you start to plateau. You can always push it further (and those few extra points can be well worth the effort), but you start to get diminishing returns.

Methods for the Logic Games can be "learned," and that's where I saw the most improvement early on. I've only seen a handful of people who could do it efficiently without some kind of training and practice. Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning are areas where some people are just innately wired for it. That said, you can learn some tricks and developing a sense for where the questions will try to mislead you.

I think it's more important to work on consistency before worrying about speed. You should be able to do nearly all of the questions perfectly if given enough time. Once you have the tools down, you can work on getting faster. Doing a few practice tests will also build up a "rhythm" for hold long you should use up on each question.

Since it was mentioned, "top law school forums" go very deep into the subject. (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/index.php) You may need to take everything with a grain of salt, but there is a genuine wealth of information there about what has worked for people in the past.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Philip_Marlowe

Post by Philip_Marlowe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 am

I used Blueprint and was very happy with it (ended with a 177 for what it’s worth). Blueprint is one of the priciest options but at least when I signed up they included copies of every old LSAT and only used real questions instead of having ones they wrote to mimic the test. That alone was worth it for me.

As for the test itself, the logic games section in particular is very trainable. There are only a few different game types that are repeated over and over and they have the same general tricks and traps. Once you learn the different game types and practice all the variations on them you can become much much faster in the actual test. This was the area where I made the biggest gains through my study. Good luck!

Side note, I’m sure many people have told you but the choice of where you go to law school has a huge impact on your career choices and long term earning potential. If you were thinking about anywhere outside of the T-14 I encourage you to think carefully about what your goals are.