tipping for grocery delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brandy

tipping for grocery delivery

Post by brandy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:13 pm

For the past 3 years I've occasionally had (on-line) grocery delivery through a national chain. Their FAQs state their drivers do not accept tips. I get a paper receipt/shopping list with the goods.
Last week I ordered from a different company, all ordering and receipts are on-line. I did not plan to tip, though it did cross my mind, as it did the other company when I started with them. The fellow delivered, I signed his phone, did not tip. When I checked the on-line, their site has a "tip your driver" section. If I remember, it starts at $8 with about 4 increasingly higher links, and "other". Their site states that prices are higher, shopping and delivery are included in the price.
I called and asked, was told tipping isn't necessary. So I didn't.
I know I'm not the only one affected by this. I expect to order from them 4-6 times a year. How do you not feel (a negative) emotion, both on the tip page and your rejection of the request? They are paid at least minimum wage-$10.50, but pay ranges from $11.50 to 21.00. From picking to me to back to store might be about 1 2/ 2 hours, but I bet he didn't have to wait in a cashier line.

adamthesmythe

Re: tipping for grocery delivery

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 pm

It takes enough thinking to decide what to tip taxi drivers and restaurant waiters.

Avoiding the emotional and intellectual effort to decide on tips for in-person deliveries is a good reason for me to not use these services.

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:34 pm

I know, but sometimes it is the best thing to do all around. I'm grateful it's available when I do use it. One item I paid $28.39 for, the in-store price label says $22.70. Price difference of $5.69. It's the only product that had it's own label. Figuring an average of +$3 an item, that was a bit under $45.00 for 1.5 hours work, most of which will go to the boss...
Maybe i don't/won't feel guilt or embarrassment after all for not tipping.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm

No, I wouldn't tip unless there was extra service of some sort.

One of the lo-cal news reports was on grocery delivery. Sometimes items that are on sale at the store are not for delivery. So there can be extra cost beyond the delivery charge depending on what you get.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 pm
It takes enough thinking to decide what to tip taxi drivers and restaurant waiters.

Avoiding the emotional and intellectual effort to decide on tips for in-person deliveries is a good reason for me to not use these services.
+1
This also reduces my inclination to eat out in restaurants, use the shuttle service for airport parking, etc. Tipping works through shaming, and has no place in what should be routine consumer transactions.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 pm

Tipping is out of control in this country

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm

I always tip something on grocery deliveries. I put it in the category of pizza delivery. $5-$10 depending on the size of the order.

I would want my house to be viewed positively for future deliveries.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 pm

oxothuk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pm
This also reduces my inclination to eat out in restaurants, use the shuttle service for airport parking, etc. Tipping works through shaming, and has no place in what should be routine consumer transactions.
I have never seen anyone tip the shuttle driver.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:36 pm

TxAg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 pm
+1, not only out of control it is now assumed to be at a ridiculous percentage AND for just poor to average service. It used to be 10% gratuity for GOOD service, now they assume 18-20% for poor to average service. And everywhere you go there is that little tip jar......

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 pm

I had to use the local grocery store chain's picking/delivering service a few months back. On the receipt presented to me when I placed my order was a line-item charge for "Tip" and an amount included.

So I didn't give the deliveryman anything extra.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm

I tip $5. I'm sure these delivery people are paid dirt, and they work hard. I buy 10 pound bags of kitty litter, 12 can packs of Coca Cola, etc. and it's about fifty feet from their truck to my door.

If they earned decent salaries, I would not tip. The fact is, almost anyone working low on the food chain is paid dirt, to the degree that they have to use food stamps, etc.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Always tip for about everything. But, we're retired and have the $$ and are happy to share such nominal amounts.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 pm

The weird thing is that there's also often a delivery fee in addition to a tip. I'd rather just go to the store/pizza joint myself. For the convenience factor, I would say a $5 tip is reasonable and fair. I think that is the recommended tip for Whole Foods delivery.

brandy

Post by brandy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for your input.
mouses wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm
I tip $5. I'm sure these delivery people are paid dirt, and they work hard. I buy 10 pound bags of kitty litter, 12 can packs of Coca Cola, etc. and it's about fifty feet from their truck to my door. If they earned decent salaries, I would not tip. The fact is, almost anyone working low on the food chain is paid dirt, to the degree that they have to use food stamps, etc.
This company has a reputation for paying high wages as I said, base pay is $1 over minimum.
My kitchen is about 30 feet away, and the products are heavy, and/or several in a box.

"I always tip something on grocery deliveries. I put it in the category of pizza delivery. $5-$10 depending on the size of the order. I would want my house to be viewed positively for future deliveries."
This is a concern to me, too. This time the order contained 13 items, future ones will probably be about the same. I expect to get 4-5 orders over a year, and have no idea if the person will be the same. I have never had the same driver from the other company, who has been doing this longer in my area. Perhaps wisdom (re my situation) calls for at least a $5 tip. I am retired, on ss, so live frugally. And yes, this is frugal for me. More thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 pm

What is it you're concerned about? If you don't tip, they'll start coming late? Mash the stuff around? Those are things that if they start happening you complain to the service.

I never let fear rule my tipping decisions.

ragnathor

Post by ragnathor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Local grocery store has $6 shopping fee and $6 delivery fee. There is an optional tip line that we'll give around $2. We use the service once a week and often get repeat drivers. The convenience is worth it for us with 2 small kids.

Another similar situation is the tip line on takeout food. I usually would not til but now leave a nominal amount $1 or $2.

I strongly dislike tipping. I would much rather restaurants/Uber/barbers etc charge a higher price and leave it out. It's the ambiguity and varied social expectation that cause an unnecessary stress on what should be a simple transaction.

I remember hearing a podcast on the history of tipping. Supposedly really got its jumpstart around the Great Depression when restaurant managers began to encourage tipping so they could drop employee wages or keep them low.

Other countries don't have anywhere near the tipping expectation as in the US, but I've found traveling abroad it's often expected that Americans will tip!

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Why don’t we tip the people who bag our groceries at the grocery store? They’re low-paid employees performing a personal service similar to the people who bag our takeout food or make our lattes. No one tips them. There seems to be little logic around the custom of tipping. My family member used to think she was expected to tip the agent at the airport ticket counter.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 pm
oxothuk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pm
I have never seen anyone tip the shuttle driver.
At my major airport people frequently tip the parking lot shuttle drivers. I see it just about every time I fly. (But I don’t tip them).
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

z91

Post by z91 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 am

Must be the that time of the month again for the tipping thread.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 am

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 pm
Why don’t we tip the people who bag our groceries at the grocery store? They’re low-paid employees performing a personal service similar to the people who bag our takeout food or make our lattes. No one tips them. There seems to be little logic around the custom of tipping. My family member used to think she was expected to tip the agent at the airport ticket counter.
I tip them at a commissary. Everyone else I’ve ever seen does too. A private supermarket is a bit different. I don’t tip the unionized workers, whether they are working the register or not.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 am

brandy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm
Thanks for your input.
mouses wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm
I tip $5. I'm sure these delivery people are paid dirt, and they work hard. I buy 10 pound bags of kitty litter, 12 can packs of Coca Cola, etc. and it's about fifty feet from their truck to my door. If they earned decent salaries, I would not tip. The fact is, almost anyone working low on the food chain is paid dirt, to the degree that they have to use food stamps, etc.
This company has a reputation for paying high wages as I said, base pay is $1 over minimum.
My kitchen is about 30 feet away, and the products are heavy, and/or several in a box.

"I always tip something on grocery deliveries. I put it in the category of pizza delivery. $5-$10 depending on the size of the order. I would want my house to be viewed positively for future deliveries."
This is a concern to me, too. This time the order contained 13 items, future ones will probably be about the same. I expect to get 4-5 orders over a year, and have no idea if the person will be the same. I have never had the same driver from the other company, who has been doing this longer in my area. Perhaps wisdom (re my situation) calls for at least a $5 tip. I am retired, on ss, so live frugally. And yes, this is frugal for me. More thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Even a few bucks. Just something that shows you appreciate their effort, goes a long way. In college I waited tables and before that delivered pizza. Whether people like it or not, service changes if you know the person on the other end has no intention of tipping you for your work.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 am

I've been using Fresh Direct (in NY) for at least a dozen years. In the beginning, there was no tip rule and no line
when ordering online for tips. I began giving tips almost from the beginning. The few bucks really is meaningless to me and might make a difference. The last 4-5 years, they have a line on the ordering process for an optional tip, and I still tip
$5-$7 depending on how large an order.

When our local supermarket began to use Instacart for their deliveries extra charges started to go through the roof.
A $7 delivery charge (unless yearly pass was bought), recommended 10% tip for person pulling the order so they would have a living wage, tip for the drive. By the time I added up all the extra charges it ran 30-40%. At that point, I just drove the supermarket and stopped ordering from them online, except on really bad weather. This is in ADDITION to higher costs, than the store usually charges.

Instacart has super fast delivery, but the costs are rather high.

dickyboy

Post by dickyboy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:30 pm

TxAg wrote:
You are absolutely right. What is wrong with business owners paying their help a decent wage in the first place.

tj

Post by tj » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:59 pm

They are paid at least minimum wage-$10.50, but pay ranges from $11.50 to 21.00
I wouldn't be so sure. Instacart, Shipt, Doordash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Amazon Restaraunts - those are all independent contractors and IMO unprofitable to pursue considering the vehicle cost.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 pm

I've ordered a couple of times from Safeway home delivery. Their site prominently says that their drivers don't accept tips, so I haven't tipped them yet.

I live in a multi-story condo building with an elevator.

offtopic, but I agree with others in this thread. Tipping in this country is out of control. I do my best to avoid tipping on most things, but even I am subject to the societal pressure. Just this morning, I had horrible service along with low quality food at a breakfast restaurant. I still tipped ~22% for some stupid reason.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:26 pm

dickyboy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:30 pm
TxAg wrote:
You are absolutely right. What is wrong with business owners paying their help a decent wage in the first place.
Bingo.
The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.
source:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... z9JtIgiSGE
For those of you who think tipping in this country is "outrageous" what's really outrageous is only getting paid $7.25 an hour in 2018. If working 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year (that's right...with NO vacation time) works out to be $15,080 in total gross income per year.

Tip your servers people or don't eat out.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:36 pm
TxAg wrote:
+1, not only out of control it is now assumed to be at a ridiculous percentage AND for just poor to average service. It used to be 10% gratuity for GOOD service, now they assume 18-20% for poor to average service. And everywhere you go there is that little tip jar......
I am around 50 and never heard of "10% gratuity for GOOD service...." When was this? I always heard 15% and now most people do 20%. For restaurants that is.

$5 for grocery delivery I think.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:21 pm

ragnathor wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Another similar situation is the tip line on takeout food.

I had an issue with that. Restaurant I would periodically get takeout from, maybe once a month, enough times that they recognized me. I never tipped for takeout.

2 orders in a row were not right. They used water instead of broth. First time I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Second time I decided they don't want my business.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 pm

My God, people. They are pulling all the items according to your notes (green bananas for example, driving them to your home and bringing your groceries into your kitchen for you! Give them a couple bucks. If you don’t want to tip someone who is saving you time and effort, just go to the store yourself.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:13 pm

il0kin wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 pm
My God, people. They are pulling all the items according to your notes (green bananas for example, driving them to your home and bringing your groceries into your kitchen for you! Give them a couple bucks. If you don’t want to tip someone who is saving you time and effort, just go to the store yourself.
I'm picky enough about meats, fish, fruit, and vegetables that I would rather go to the store myself. And I will make choices to stock up on regularly purchased items on sale. AND I am not encouraging the creation of more low-pay, contingent jobs that make it difficult for people to make a decent living without tip income.

brandy

Post by brandy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:13 pm
il0kin wrote:
I'm picky enough about meats, fish, fruit, and vegetables that I would rather go to the store myself. And I will make choices to stock up on regularly purchased items on sale. AND I am not encouraging the creation of more low-pay, contingent jobs that make it difficult for people to make a decent living without tip income.
From their website, near the top of the page. If you're looking for it, it is easy to see. "Prices are higher than your local warehouse and include service and delivery. The order minimum is $35. " Emphasis mine.
As I said, Each item is (IIRC, I was told, is $1.50 to ~$6.00 OVER store price) One item I paid $28.39 for, the in-store price label says $22.70. Price difference of $5.69. It's the only product that had it's own label. Reviewing a month's old label, price difference of some other items were $1.40, 1.60, and $3.10.
It would be nice to know what the shelf price would be if I could get in myself. If they did not have this service, I would probably either have to do without or hire someone to do it for me.

When I do get out, it is generally for health care or groceries from a nearby grocer. Anybody here get groceries from Amazon or Walmart? Do they charge, do they suggest/require tips? And again, the other grocer I sometimes get delivery does not allow tips, also according to their website.

AGING IN PLACE is not just about barrier free bathrooms.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 pm

With regard to aging in place, while you may. It get sales (this seems to vary by grocer locally), it has to be cheaper than paying a personal assistant type helper person $15-20/hr to run errands for you if you are truly confined to your home for mobility or whatever other reasons. My grandfather had a person who came twice weekly and helped him tidy up, take care of chores he couldn’t handle as he passed 90 and drove him places when family members were unavailable. Those services are not cheap and should be accounted for early on in your life if you plan to age in place.

The grocer in my city that does it charges a flat $5 delivery fee under $100 and free over $100 and honors sale prices. I don’t know how they possibly make money or even break even on the service but was commenting to a friend recently how wonderful of a service it would be for disabled or mobility impaired folks, yet here we are with people complaining about it. Of course some grocers are going to upcharge a bit, the labor has shifted from the customer to people picking/pulling and then driving a van to your home. Even at a large scale that’s going to cost $10 in labor and fuel.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

il0kin wrote:
Chances are the driver is not the one gathering and packing the items. You'd be tipping the wrong person.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

I tip $4-8 for grocery delivery in NYC, depending on order size. Tips are a large share of the income delivery workers earn. It is not required but it is customary. I don't think they would take the job for the base wages. It is worth it because they know that most customers tip.

brennok

Post by brennok » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:31 pm

I don't tip unless they do something above and beyond. I already paid for delivery.

I believe it is doordash that splits the delivery fee with the driver. If you tip they get a $1 instead and 100% of the tip.

Blondemommer

Post by Blondemommer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:40 pm

My daughter has delivered for Instacart in the past. She didn’t get paid anywhere near what was quoted up thread. Remember this is contractual work. These workers pay self-employment taxes, get no benefits and put a lot of wear and tear on their vehicles. Many people they shop for are very particular which requires the shopper to sometimes substitute acceptable products. Sometimes they order six cases of water that must be delivered upstairs. Tipping, while not required, is appreciated.

brandy

Post by brandy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm

I do not think THAT delivery was via instacart. They do have a different delivery system that IS via instacart. Do you recall what she was paid per hour? Did she pick product AND deliver it?
I'm particular, too. I do not want substitutions. There was a substitution link I think for each product.
I do wish they had a "delivery instructions" or "notes for the picker/driver". I would tell them an easier place to park.

The other grocer has 2 ways to buy, too: either through their on-line store (prices higher than in-store) OR Instacart. The inline store does not permit tips.
I think the Instacart is more expensive.

Blondemommer

Post by Blondemommer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Her hourly wage varied, from $6/hr to $15/hr typically. She shopped and delivered. She worked for Instacart while living in the northern suburbs of Chicago and also in the Phoenix metro area. Frequently, she would have to drive 45 minutes to get to the closest Whole Foods; and then drive another 30 minutes to deliver it. In the Phoenix area, she finally quit because it was just too difficult to deliver to the massive apartment complexes without any instructions such as gate codes, building numbers, etc.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 am

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 pm
I've ordered a couple of times from Safeway home delivery. Their site prominently says that their drivers don't accept tips, so I haven't tipped them yet.

offtopic, but I agree with others in this thread. Tipping in this country is out of control. I do my best to avoid tipping on most things, but even I am subject to the societal pressure. Just this morning, I had horrible service along with low quality food at a breakfast restaurant. I still tipped ~22% for some stupid reason.
Why in the world did you tip 22%? You are doing it wrong. Bad service needs to be made aware otherwise bad service will continue.

20%+ for outstanding service. The kind of service where you tell the manager you had a great service.
20% great service.
15% good service.
10% for terrible service.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 am

I don't tip ANYONE, except at restaurants (only because I'm forced to) and the Uber/Lyft driver if they do a good job (not just a normal job).

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm

I had a small neighborhood grocery store at one time. We made a lot of deliveries. I never once received a tip and neither did any of my employees to my knowledge. I can remember toting a 100 pound sack of hog feed on my shoulder from the front of a house to the back, wading mud, and dumping it in a drum. I did this several times and never received a tip, and I didn't expect a tip. Now everybody expects a tip and most of the time it's for basically nothing. It's ridiculous.
Slow and steady wins the race.

clockman323

Post by clockman323 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:26 pm
dickyboy wrote:
TxAg wrote:
Bingo.
The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.
source:
For those of you who think tipping in this country is "outrageous" what's really outrageous is only getting paid $7.25 an hour in 2018. If working 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year (that's right...with NO vacation time) works out to be $15,080 in total gross income per year.

I agree that tipping is out of control in the US. Dinner out with my family typically averages around $80. A 15% tip would be $12 and it seems like each server is waiting on 5-6 other tables during the hour that we are there. 6 tables at $12 each would add an additional $72 to his base wage. That is higher than I earn as a skilled professional.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:43 pm

I still tip 15% for anything but outstanding service and that’s on the pre tax amount. Not sure where all of this 20+% after tax came from but I do not subscribe to it. I don’t make these folks worry about my wage so I’m not going to spend a lot of time fretting over theirs.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm

clockman323 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:26 pm
dickyboy wrote:
TxAg wrote:
Bingo.
source:

I agree that tipping is out of control in the US. Dinner out with my family typically averages around $80. A 15% tip would be $12 and it seems like each server is waiting on 5-6 other tables during the hour that we are there. 6 tables at $12 each would add an additional $72 to his base wage. That is higher than I earn as a skilled professional.
sure but your argument that waitresses are overpaid relative to their skills is based on the following premises:
1. that all diners tip (you may find this hard to believe but some do not tip and others do not tip well)
2. you're basing the payment on an hourly wage but those 6 diners could linger for more than an hour, in which case it would be half what you stated.
3. not all waiters/waitresses work at restaurants that charge $80 for a family. Some work in greasy spoons, breakfast/lunch shifts which pay less, etc.

I'm not saying some waiters/waitresses don't make out well. Some do. Some don't. They may make more than you per hour, but are you sure they're all working the same number of hours as you? Sometimes servers are part time, not full time. And most don't have benefits like health care, vacation, sick time, 401k, etc.

So perhaps they make more per hour than you, but then they have to use that extra money to pay the bills during a vacation when they're not working and pay for their own insurance, etc.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Not to mention the periods of their shift when there aren't that many tables. If wait staff were so over-paid, then it would make sense for you quit your job and take that up.

student

Post by student » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:43 pm
I still tip 15% for anything but outstanding service and that’s on the pre tax amount. Not sure where all of this 20+% after tax came from but I do not subscribe to it. I don’t make these folks worry about my wage so I’m not going to spend a lot of time fretting over theirs.
15% is fine. I tip 15%-20% pre tax depending on service (15% for standard, 18% for good and 20% for excellent) as per Emily Post. http://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 am

NextMil wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 am
j0nnyg1984 wrote:

Why in the world did you tip 22%? You are doing it wrong. Bad service needs to be made aware otherwise bad service will continue.

20%+ for outstanding service. The kind of service where you tell the manager you had a great service.
20% great service.
15% good service.
If you get terrible service why give them anything?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am

Arguing about tips is a truly American hobby.

The hardest I’ve ever worked in my life was doing the lowest paid, worst jobs. If someone is driving their own car to deliver something to me? I tip.

Yes, I would prefer it if their employer paid a living wage, full time hours, and provided health insurance so that I didn’t have to get out a calculator to figure out how much whatever I’m buying is really going to cost. But that isn’t the way it is.

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:38 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Not to mention the periods of their shift when there aren't that many tables. If wait staff were so over-paid, then it would make sense for you quit your job and take that up.
Those of us who have worked in restaurants almost always tip generously and consider it part of the cost of a restaurant meal or other service.
Jobs where tipping is a high share of wages are worth it because those who tip well balance out those that don't. It was not the choice of the waiter/delivery driver to set up our tipping economy. Many would gladly take a guaranteed wage over variable wage via tipping if the same schedule/flexibility were available.

I had several restaurant jobs in the 2000s. A typical dinner shift was 4-10:00 pm covering 5-6 tables. While at 7:30 pm, all tables might be full, that simply balanced out the hours for set-up/clean-up and those where you have just 0-2 tables and are making just the $2.25/hour or whatever the minimum wage for tipped employees was at the time. Busy weekend nights also balanced out slow weeknights. On slow nights, I made as low as $40-$60. On good weekend nights, maybe $100-150. Maybe $200 on very rare occasions (usually meant a server didn't show up so had extra tables to cover).

I always averaged 20% of my (post-tax, including alcohol) sales in tips as I was competent (I listened to customers and wrote down everything ordered by person, so I made few mistakes and could easily split checks, etc). The range was about 10-30%. Younger folks tended to tip in the 15-20% range. Older ones were more likely to tip at either extreme (10-15% or 25-30%). Oddly there were few tips in the 20-25% range. Most tips were on credit cards, so there was no ability to avoid taxes on them (not saying that I tried, but people sometimes claim that restaurant workers don't pay taxes on tips).

I never heard that some people tip pre-tax or not on alcohol until long after I worked in restaurants, I would have assumed those customers didn't like service or food or wait times or whatever. Usually I was too busy to think much about why each table tipped whatever they did. I had to tip out the bartender 10% of all alcohol (including wine bottles at menu price) I served to my tables (it didn't matter what my actual tips from each table were). I had to tip out the hostesses a bit too, I don't remember how much but something like 5-15% of my actual tips (and I had discretion to vary that somewhat based on how helpful they were). Such arrangements vary a lot by establishment.

I feel that everyone - even children of the wealthy - should spend some time in a service job (restaurant or retail). At least a brief stint as a teenager/college student. It is a valuable lesson.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 am

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 am
NextMil wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 am
j0nnyg1984 wrote:

20% great service.
15% good service.
If you get terrible service why give them anything?
Because the server might think you are foreign or just a total cheapskate. 10% is widely known among servers as sending a message that you did a terrible job.