Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm

My wife went downstairs to our kitchen at 3:00 a.m. last night and when she turned the light on a mouse scurried across the floor into another room. Our Golden Retriever apparently observed this with moderate interest, and then went back to sleep. Bless her (wife, not dog) for not waking me.

Yes, I can get all kinds of mouse traps - there's a reason for that old expression "if you build a better mousetrap ...". But, that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is, where are the mice getting into the house and can that be blocked?

We live in a 1977 two-story 3,000 sq.ft. house in New England. Anyone who has something like this knows how complex the exterior of the house is - how many windows, vents, foundation cracks, attic openings, there are. I could work on the house with a caulk gun for weeks and not be confident I've blocked mice from entering.

Is there a solution?
Last edited by Small Law Survivor on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rupert
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Mice

Post by Rupert » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm

A cat.

firefloat
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Mice

Post by firefloat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Even if you try and block the openings they are using, they can easily chew new openings. As long as they aren't coming from off of your property, you can do a lot of damage to the population with traps. If the ones you have tried aren't working then try another, there are a lot of variations. Here is a YouTube channel dedicated to just mouse traps: https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter

graeme
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: Mice

Post by graeme » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Sticky traps can work well. Steel wool can be used to fill interior holes such as where a water pipe goes into a kitchen cupboard and prevent mice going through. If possible, try to figure out where they are entering the house.

User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Mice

Post by catdude » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Rupert wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm
A cat.
I concur with this recommendation, but I’m biased.
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

User avatar
BoglePaul
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Mice

Post by BoglePaul » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:29 pm

catdude wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 pm
Rupert wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm
A cat.
I concur with this recommendation, but I’m biased.
Cat would also help with nice nearby the house as well as rats and snakes.

jebmke
Posts: 8465
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mice

Post by jebmke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm

I have had good luck with these snap traps.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-E-102-0-019 ... 004B9XPOO/

They are easy to set up. The cheap wood ones from Lowes were trickier to arm and I kept snapping my fingers. I put a couple each in my garage and shed with some peanut butter and that seems to get them.

This year we don't have nearly as many - might be due to the foxes that had a litter of 6 under our shed last winter. Come to think of it, there seem to be a lot fewer squirrels around.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18906
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Mice

Post by dm200 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:36 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:29 pm
catdude wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 pm
Rupert wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm
A cat.
I concur with this recommendation, but I’m biased.
Cat would also help with nice nearby the house as well as rats and snakes.
yes ..

retiringwhen
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Mice

Post by retiringwhen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:44 pm

I have been battling a succession of mice infestations in our house for 10 years. They live outside around the house and when the weather changes, mostly colder they come inside (this month!). I have tried to find the holes/cracks, it is a failing task.

I tried outside traps and poison to no discernible impact (must get the pet safe versions). I tried water drowning traps (accidently caught a squirrel, stopped that.)

Make sure the mice have as little food source as possible (don't feed the birds, securely store dog food, keep your floor clean, etc.)

When the foxes and hawks are in our neighborhood are strong, the mice aren't around. When the natural predators are gone, they come back. This argues very strongly for a cat (I am very allergic, otherwise we'd have a house cat for sure.) One of our neighbors fed the feral cats for a long time, so they stuck around. That helped with the mice too, but is tragic for the local small bird population.

Inside, my approach is Victory traps (Tomcats are too hard to activate) with the thing that looks like a piece of cheese with a small amount of peanut butter and glue traps. they work best, none of the high tech traps are worth the money.

If you can figure out generally WHERE they are coming in even if you can't block all the holes you can put the snap traps along the mice's walking path along with glue traps. I had one trap that caught 10 mice without even bait as it was very near their point of entry (a door I cannot figure out how to 100% mouse-proof). When the mice are heavy the glue traps will do a good deal of damage to the population. Not cheap, but simple for folks who are not comfortable with handling dead mice though.

Another thing that is really gross but kinda works, mice are cannibals, leave a dead one in a trap for a day or two with another set trap or glue next to it. it will attract other mice better than almost any other bait.

Yesterday, I just bought a set of three of the sonic deterrents (night light that puts out a very high frequency sound that drives mice nuts, supposedly). I am hoping that it will keep them away, too soon to tell. A friend said they worked wonders in his house, too early for me to report results.

User avatar
nativenewenglander
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:05 am

Re: Mice

Post by nativenewenglander » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Rupert wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm
A cat.
A female cat. We've had many cats and the male cats are not as great a hunter as the females. The hunter gather thing in the cat world goes with the gals. We use those waxy Decon blocks and put them in the basement and attic, plus a couple under our porch. I bought a 3 lb container at the hardware store yesterday, the guy in line in front of me had the same container he said it's his third this season. I joked he may need to remortgage the house to get all the rodents around his house. Good Luck

likegarden
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Mice

Post by likegarden » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:05 pm

I think you have to fight mice outside the house to have no mice in your house. Look around your house up to 50 ft from your house walls and put poison readily available in big box stores into each mouse hole. Put it deep into a hole, use rubber gloves, cover the hole, and when the hole gets uncovered then continue with baiting.

I have no mice in my 2500 sqft 2-story house in the Northeast. I have mice outside and put poison into their holes in the landscape. I use poison pellets because meadow mice (voles) would otherwise destroy most of my perennials. University study shows that mice will produce more mice faster than you can kill with traps. There were neighbor cats around the house, but they were probably fed too well at home. Other natural enemies of mice do not seem to have much effect to reduce mice population, so I use poison outside.

User avatar
mickeyd
Posts: 4634
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of South Texas

Re: Mice

Post by mickeyd » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:07 pm

My cat send this suggestion:

"Love to eat them mousies! Mousies what I love to eat-- Bite they little heads off-- nibble on they tiny feet!"
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

retiringwhen
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Mice

Post by retiringwhen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:20 pm

firefloat wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:11 pm
Even if you try and block the openings they are using, they can easily chew new openings. As long as they aren't coming from off of your property, you can do a lot of damage to the population with traps. If the ones you have tried aren't working then try another, there are a lot of variations. Here is a YouTube channel dedicated to just mouse traps: https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter
The mousetrap guy showed a much improved solution for the water bucket solution that I tried (but got squirrel's instead). I am going to give this a try outside.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Walk- ... Swl5pZiVMf

FireHorse
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Mice

Post by FireHorse » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Also a New Englander here. As the weather gets colder the mice looking to home indoors. Last week we noticed that our dog food and dog treats in the garage were disappearing quickly, we set up mouse trap in the garage, attic and under kitchen sink, we caught 17 of them in 4 days. We didn't catch any yesterday, we believe the old traditional of mouse trap worked.

Turbo29
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Mice

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I concur with the cat.

Back in the mid 1980's my mother had a terrible problem with mice. I told her, "get a cat." So she did (it was a female as another poster recommended). The cat only caught one mouse that I can recall. The others all sensed there was a predator in the house and left of their own accord.

ByThePond
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:21 am

Re: Mice

Post by ByThePond » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm

mickeyd wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:07 pm
My cat send this suggestion:

"Love to eat them mousies! Mousies what I love to eat-- Bite they little heads off-- nibble on they tiny feet!"
My favourite Kliban Cat tee shirt.

BTW, we use house cats, Victory snap traps, and a local fox to keep the mice population down.

jebmke
Posts: 8465
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mice

Post by jebmke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:34 pm

ByThePond wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm
and a local fox to keep the mice population down.
Foxes are ruthless. I've found multiple snake spines, a muskrat skull, numerous rabbit pelts, squirrel fur and remnants of a turkey vulture in the back yard. I think they jumped the TV when it dropped down to get leftovers from a rabbit. My neighbor had a mallard head on his front lawn - he is a weekender from Baltimore - I told him it was a warning :shock: .
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Mice

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Besides the cats, you should consider releasing a few snakes in the house too :)

malabargold
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:16 am

Re: Mice

Post by malabargold » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:44 pm

One cat in the house
Scrap the poisons

shunkman
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Mice

Post by shunkman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Wirecutter recommends this trap. Tomcat Press ‘N Set Mouse Trap

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1707
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Mice

Post by F150HD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Big thread on this last winter if you search for it.

Also important to know what NOT to buy.

DCon Bait stations with the green square poison. These are worthless. They changed the 'ingredients' years ago and they no longer kill mice, but, you'll then notice lots of green mouse poop around your home. :(

Dont buy the traps w/ the large orange paddle to put pnut butter on, they aren't sensitive enough to trip when mouse is eating the pnut butter.

Best traps for the $$ are the Victory snap traps. Put them perpendicular to the wall (important).

Image

Glue traps are good too and the glue boards laid flat are great for certain places. I find they collect dust...and eventually you'll step on one and realize just how sticky they are :annoyed

If you want to throw some geometry at a really smart mouse....as I had to last year, put a big hunk of food (something smelly) against the wall in the kitchen. Use 3 glue boards laid flat and surround the food with a "U" shape (could also use standard glue traps, tho they are raised a little off the floor). To get to the food the mouse has to cross the glue board. I had a really smart mouse last year that wouldn't bite on anything, this is how I caught him. It took a month before I bought and tried the glue boards....should have sooner.

Image

JoeRetire
Posts: 1694
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Mice

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm
Is there a solution?
All of these:
- thoroughly clean the house, making sure all crumbs and edibles are gone
- never leave any food or mouse favorites on the counter
- scatter plenty of traps, after first learning the best places to put the traps, empty and rebate the traps weekly
- work on the house with stainless steel wool, etc as best you can starting from the ground, up
- hope for the best
- repeat all of the above frequently

It took me 5 years to finally stop mice from getting into my attic and wall. I finally found and sealed the tine hole they were apparently using.

bgrpph
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:46 am

Re: Mice

Post by bgrpph » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:05 pm

also check out the site- domyownpestcontrol.com or domyown.com they have lots of prof type bait etc- worth a look

kjsammy
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:19 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Mice

Post by kjsammy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Poisons and traps, especially glue traps - awful, cruel, but very American. If the chemicals don't work get bigger/ more chemicals.
Humane society:
" Responsible for more suffering than virtually any other wildlife control product on the market,..
Glue boards are widely used to kill rodents, but they don’t eliminate rodent problems. Solutions for controlling rodent populations must focus on the removal of the cause and source."
https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/glue-boards

At night have someone walk the perimiter of the basement while someone is outside to mark every spot of light seen. Fix all those openings.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/11-wa ... event-mice

This was an interesting programs about how we think about and deal with bugs/microbes

https://www.thirteen.org/openmind/

BobTexas
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Mice

Post by BobTexas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Agree with using the victory traps with peanut butter. I like to put them on a piece of newspaper so that when it catches a mouse I just pick up the paper. I also keep putting out traps until I don’t catch any more mice

Momus
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Mice [updated]

Post by Momus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:25 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Intruder-30442-B ... ref=plSrch

+ peanut butter

4 dead mouse with this, way more sensitive than a crappy snap trap.

Small Law Survivor
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 pm

UPDATE: Well, it was not a mouse - it was a small/baby squirrel. The squirrel must have been hiding all day, but it appeared this evening. After chasing it around the house with my pond fish net in hopes of catching it (nope), it finally ran ran upstairs and into a small room that had a sliding glass door to a second floor deck. We trapped it in that room, opened the glass and screen doors to the deck, and it ran off. This entire episode took about an hour (well, maybe it was a lot less than that, but it seemed like hours).

So now the question is: how did a squirrel get into the house? We have lived here 25 years, and this is a first, although a bat entered the house on two occasions a few years ago. Catching the bat with the pond net was easy - catching the squirrel, difficult. We got lucky that it went into a room we could trap it in by closing the door, and let it outside through an exterior door.

Our dog missed the action (we put her in another room while this was going on), and she's still on high alert looking for the squirrel.

Silverado
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Mice

Post by Silverado » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:50 pm

BobTexas wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 pm
Agree with using the victory traps with peanut butter. I like to put them on a piece of newspaper so that when it catches a mouse I just pick up the paper. I also keep putting out traps until I don’t catch any more mice
Are you saying you don't reuse traps?

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by HueyLD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Where I used to live, people would have made squirrel stew after shooting it dead. :)

You must be quicker than the squirrel. You are amazing and congrats.

User avatar
Flymore
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by Flymore » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 pm
UPDATE: Well, it was not a mouse - it was a small/baby squirrel. The squirrel must have been hiding all day, but it appeared this evening. After chasing it around the house with my pond fish net in hopes of catching it (nope), it finally ran ran upstairs and into a small room that had a sliding glass door to a second floor deck. We trapped it in that room, opened the glass and screen doors to the deck, and it ran off. This entire episode took about an hour (well, maybe it was a lot less than that, but it seemed like hours).

So now the question is: how did a squirrel get into the house? We have lived here 25 years, and this is a first, although a bat entered the house on two occasions a few years ago. Catching the bat with the pond net was easy - catching the squirrel, difficult. We got lucky that it went into a room we could trap it in by closing the door, and let it outside through an exterior door.

Our dog missed the action (we put her in another room while this was going on), and she's still on high alert looking for the squirrel.
My experience with squirrels is they come in from above, like a vent in the roof.
Check screens around vents see if they are in place, make sure vents are tight none coming off.
May need a roofer or exterminator to find where it came in.
Also cut tree branches away from house so they can't jump onto your house.

Good luck

User avatar
OAG
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Currently Central Ohio, USA

Re: Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by OAG » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Few years ago in a relatively NEW Condo we had a furnace that stopped working. Had a Technician come out and he had to replace the main circuit board. The Tech and I noticed the board had been burned out by a short circuit AND we found the culprit lying at the bottom and inside the furnace (DEAD MOUSE). Noticed some droppings also. Seems they little things crawled up the fresh air intake outside the condo. Seems the builder forgot to properly install a screen on it and the mice got in that way. I put a proper screen on it and no longer had the mouse problem. Just a suggestion to check yours (if you have one) as mice will use it if they can. The mice we had were small field mice looking for a warm place to spend the cold months (we live in central Ohio). Noticed your update this may be applicable to them too but the "from above" route mentioned may be more applicable.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4176
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Mice

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 pm

nativenewenglander wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:49 pm
Rupert wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm
A cat.
A female cat. We've had many cats and the male cats are not as great a hunter as the females. The hunter gather thing in the cat world goes with the gals...
+2. A youngish cat. The older cats get the less interested they are in mousing. Two cats are even better as they will polish their hunting-catching skills on each other.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

HereToLearn
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by HereToLearn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 pm
UPDATE: Well, it was not a mouse - it was a small/baby squirrel. The squirrel must have been hiding all day, but it appeared this evening. After chasing it around the house with my pond fish net in hopes of catching it (nope), it finally ran ran upstairs and into a small room that had a sliding glass door to a second floor deck. We trapped it in that room, opened the glass and screen doors to the deck, and it ran off. This entire episode took about an hour (well, maybe it was a lot less than that, but it seemed like hours).

So now the question is: how did a squirrel get into the house? We have lived here 25 years, and this is a first, although a bat entered the house on two occasions a few years ago. Catching the bat with the pond net was easy - catching the squirrel, difficult. We got lucky that it went into a room we could trap it in by closing the door, and let it outside through an exterior door.

Our dog missed the action (we put her in another room while this was going on), and she's still on high alert looking for the squirrel.
Is your chimney cap firmly in place? We returned from a week away to discover that a squirrel had come in via the LR chimney. I am guessing he was trapped there for a day, as he seemed to follow the light around the house. (Items knocked from deep window ledges....the mullion he chewed through in one room....the empty candy wrapper on the floor near a bowl of chocolates...) By the time we returned from vacation, it appears he had figured out how to go in and out, as he scrambled in a panic out through a few rooms, back up the LR fireplace, when we returned from vacation.

Found him a day later sitting on the back of a chair in the family room, eating away at the lunch box snack I had left out on the counter overnight. Replaced the chimney cap that day and haven't seen a squirrel inside since.

However, I probably have mice in the basement of my New England Colonial. Time to reset the traps.

Small Law Survivor
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 am

HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Is your chimney cap firmly in place?
Well, I have two chimneys - one has a cap, one doesn't. Guess I'd better get the second one installed. :oops:

JoeRetire
Posts: 1694
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 pm
UPDATE: Well, it was not a mouse - it was a small/baby squirrel.
Your wife mistook a squirrel for a mouse?

smackboy1
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:32 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 pm
So now the question is: how did a squirrel get into the house . . .

catching the squirrel, difficult. We got lucky that it went into a room we could trap it in by closing the door, and let it outside through an exterior door.
Likely via openings around the roof around the corners, vents, soffits etc.. Repair and screen with wire mesh. Do you have tree branches that are close to the house or above ground utility cables? They are attracted to bird feeders and like to nest in warm cozy spaces - like the attic. Once inside, they can become trapped and may destroy everything in their path.

This YT channel reviews traps and there are several quick kill traps to handle squirrels. The ultrasonic repellent devices don't seem to work.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYbru- ... s4FVn61JUQ
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

User avatar
nativenewenglander
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:05 am

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by nativenewenglander » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:00 am

HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 pm
UPDATE: Well, it was not a mouse - it was a small/baby squirrel. The squirrel must have been hiding all day, but it appeared this evening. After chasing it around the house with my pond fish net in hopes of catching it (nope), it finally ran ran upstairs and into a small room that had a sliding glass door to a second floor deck. We trapped it in that room, opened the glass and screen doors to the deck, and it ran off. This entire episode took about an hour (well, maybe it was a lot less than that, but it seemed like hours).

So now the question is: how did a squirrel get into the house? We have lived here 25 years, and this is a first, although a bat entered the house on two occasions a few years ago. Catching the bat with the pond net was easy - catching the squirrel, difficult. We got lucky that it went into a room we could trap it in by closing the door, and let it outside through an exterior door.

Our dog missed the action (we put her in another room while this was going on), and she's still on high alert looking for the squirrel.
Is your chimney cap firmly in place? We returned from a week away to discover that a squirrel had come in via the LR chimney. I am guessing he was trapped there for a day, as he seemed to follow the light around the house. (Items knocked from deep window ledges....the mullion he chewed through in one room....the empty candy wrapper on the floor near a bowl of chocolates...) By the time we returned from vacation, it appears he had figured out how to go in and out, as he scrambled in a panic out through a few rooms, back up the LR fireplace, when we returned from vacation.

Found him a day later sitting on the back of a chair in the family room, eating away at the lunch box snack I had left out on the counter overnight. Replaced the chimney cap that day and haven't seen a squirrel inside since.

However, I probably have mice in the basement of my New England Colonial. Time to reset the traps.
You would want to make sure your damper plates in the fireplaces closed properly. It keeps, squirrels, bats and mice from coming down your chimney, but also heat from escaping.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:06 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 am
HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Is your chimney cap firmly in place?
Well, I have two chimneys - one has a cap, one doesn't. Guess I'd better get the second one installed. :oops:
Good move! We have had to have squirrels removed from fireplace twice. The last time we had hardware cloth put over the top of the chimney. Had to sign a release stating we wouldn't be burning wood in our fireplace. We converted to gas logs long ago, so no issue.

The first time we had the problem was hilarious! I was in front of the hearth with a plastic container and a cover hoping to corral the little thing. Wife was standing on the couch screaming to be careful for me not to get bit, as it might be rabid.

Then our cat came into the room, wondering what was going on, and proceeded to chase the squirrel around the living room as it had gotten past the container I was trying to use as a trap. So, wife is now screaming louder, as now she was worried about getting bit. The squirrel jumped up and ran across the back of the couch, closely followed by the cat.

Fortunately we have sets of French doors leading to the sun room, and we had them open along with the outside door of the sun room, so the little thing made his escape.

I only wished I could have recorded the entire incident as it surely would have placed in the money on America's Funniest Videos.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6158
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by bertilak » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am
Your wife mistook a squirrel for a mouse?
He did say baby squirrel.

I have had animals come into the house and when they are scared they scoot around so much it can be hard to see what they are. Over the years I have had: a squirrel, a baby rabbit, a chipmunk, a bird and a bat. At least one of those was something the cat brought in to play with, adding to the confusion.

One day my cat ran into the house to escape a cat fight right outside the front door. On the way in she stepped on a sticky pad and made such a ruckus I at first thought both cats came in to continue the fight. In this case I knew what it was but couldn't tell (at first) how many.

Give the lady some credit!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

HereToLearn
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by HereToLearn » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 am
HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Is your chimney cap firmly in place?
Well, I have two chimneys - one has a cap, one doesn't. Guess I'd better get the second one installed. :oops:
Yes, we have two chimneys also, but he ran past the FR one that had a cap to get to his LR escape. I am guessing he had spent a couple of days coming in and out, once he figured it out, he returned at his leisure.

corysold
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by corysold » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 am

Did you get your Christmas tree yet? That's how Clark Griswold got a squirrel in his house.

But attic vent is more likely.

larsm
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by larsm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:49 am

To stop mice you must find, and seal, all entry points. It can be done as I have. Just have to get on your hands and knees and inspect the perimeter of your foundation. Make sure there are no "abandoned" pipes into basement: if so seal them.

Anything else is simply an exercise (albeit worthwhile) in mouse crowd control...

User avatar
shmidds
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by shmidds » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Mice and squirrels...make sure your gutters are clean with no standing water or nuts, then look for any small opening behind the gutters.

ubermax
Posts: 1453
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Mice [updated - not a mouse]

Post by ubermax » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:44 pm

We've lived in New England our entire lives and have had to deal with mice in the Winter for a large part of that time, it's just a part of the reality of living in New England - the tops of many poured foundations are simply not smooth and mice are small and can squeeze those little bods even smaller and so they go under the top plate and they're in - not to mention the zillion other vulnerable entry places around the house - I just assume they're going to get in and deal with them at that point - don't like poison because I won't know where they died , maybe inside the walls which is not my favorite place .

I've used the little Victor wooden snap traps for years ( about a buck a piece) , still do with the TomCat gel bait - I set them parallel and against a wall in our unfinished lower level "furnace" room - you should probably do the same in the garage especially if it's attached - they're very nocturnal and like to move around at night - they also need a food supply and so get food off the kitchen counter when you turn in for the night , and they also can bring food inside like sunflower seeds from a neighbors bird feeder and so periodically check sofas in lower levels for tears in the fabric and for a storage stash under the cushions .

This post is a good start , just continue asking questions and learning

Good Luck !!! - also do a forum search , this question has come up at least once before .

wfrobinette
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Mice

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:40 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm
I have had good luck with these snap traps.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-E-102-0-019 ... 004B9XPOO/

They are easy to set up. The cheap wood ones from Lowes were trickier to arm and I kept snapping my fingers. I put a couple each in my garage and shed with some peanut butter and that seems to get them.

This year we don't have nearly as many - might be due to the foxes that had a litter of 6 under our shed last winter. Come to think of it, there seem to be a lot fewer squirrels around.
Never had a tripped trap without a mouse using these traps. They work! And way more humane than the sticky traps mentioned above.

User avatar
queso
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Mice

Post by queso » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:49 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:40 pm
jebmke wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm
I have had good luck with these snap traps.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-E-102-0-019 ... 004B9XPOO/

They are easy to set up. The cheap wood ones from Lowes were trickier to arm and I kept snapping my fingers. I put a couple each in my garage and shed with some peanut butter and that seems to get them.

This year we don't have nearly as many - might be due to the foxes that had a litter of 6 under our shed last winter. Come to think of it, there seem to be a lot fewer squirrels around.
Never had a tripped trap without a mouse using these traps. They work! And way more humane than the sticky traps mentioned above.
I use these traps as well and have had a few picked without tripping, but I agree that they do work very well and are generally harder to pick than standard mouse traps. I keep three of them baited on a piece of 2x12 in my crawlspace. When I check them and see one tripped I just drag the whole board out and reset all three. I figure the odds of a skillful light-footed mouse escaping three of them in a row are pretty low. I had one unfortunate fellow that got caught by one and the force of the trap snapping threw him into one of the other ones that then snapped on him so he was actually caught by 2. Not your luckiest mouse..

mouses
Posts: 3841
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Mice

Post by mouses » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm
I concur with the cat.

Back in the mid 1980's my mother had a terrible problem with mice. I told her, "get a cat." So she did (it was a female as another poster recommended). The cat only caught one mouse that I can recall. The others all sensed there was a predator in the house and left of their own accord.
A mouse gets into my house about every six months to a year. My indoor male cat catches the mouse. I manage to get the mouse away and toss the mouse outdoors. No more mice in the house for months. I do think the caught mouse spreads the word to stay away.

I don't believe cats should be outdoors The result is a short life expectancy and they also catch birds.

Please don't poison the mice as other animals like hawks will die from secondary poisoning.

Small Law Survivor
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:00 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

Your wife mistook a squirrel for a mouse?
Indeed she did - she saw it for an instant at 3:00 in the morning before it disappeared under some furniture. She did say it looked like a large mouse, so there was some uncertainty until it fully emerged the following evening :happy

JoeRetire
Posts: 1694
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:00 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

Your wife mistook a squirrel for a mouse?
Indeed she did - she saw it for an instant at 3:00 in the morning before it disappeared under some furniture. She did say it looked like a large mouse, so there was some uncertainty until it fully emerged the following evening :happy
It's understandable.
Mice pretty much always leave droppings. It looks like black grains of rice.

jdb
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Mice [updated- not a mouse]

Post by jdb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:13 pm
Small Law Survivor wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:00 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

Your wife mistook a squirrel for a mouse?
Indeed she did - she saw it for an instant at 3:00 in the morning before it disappeared under some furniture. She did say it looked like a large mouse, so there was some uncertainty until it fully emerged the following evening :happy
It's understandable.
Mice pretty much always leave droppings. It looks like black grains of rice.
At least it wasn’t a juvenile skunk. Some years ago saw what looked like big rat scurry under garage refrig. Set rat trap. Middle of night heard awful racket in garage, when opened door the smell was almost overpowering, poor small skunk had foot caught in trap. Took almost week to get smell out of garage. Haven’t used a trap since. Have adopted the live and let live theory of wildlife. Good luck.

Post Reply