Time to splurge. MB E class, BMW 5 or Audi 6?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14

Time to splurge. MB E class, BMW 5 or Audi 6?

Post by retire14 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 am

Time for a new car and have decided to splurge a little in our old age. We currently have a BMW series 3 with 110K miles and like it a lot. May even be doing European Delivery. Your take on 2019 MB E Class or BMW Series 5 or Audi 6?Just doing research now and will buy some time after the New Year. If doing ED, Audi no longer offers it, so it will be between MB and BMW. If buying locally, we will need to include Audi 6. TIA

Jags4186

Re: Time to splurge. MB E class, BMW 5 or Audi 6?

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:42 am

retire14 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 am
Time for a new car and have decided to splurge a little in our old age. We currently have a BMW series 3 with 110K miles and like it a lot. May even be doing European Delivery. Your take on 2019 MB E Class or BMW Series 5 or Audi 6?Just doing research now and will buy some time after the New Year. If doing ED, Audi no longer offers it, so it will be between MB and BMW. If buying locally, we will need to include Audi 6. TIA
The Volvo S90 is the most attractive car in that class IMO. Check it out.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 am

If you go the Beemer route, consider getting the sport suspension if it is still offered. The handling between the 3 series and the 5 series is pretty dramatic. The 5 is not as much fund to drive as the 3 series. I would have gotten the sport suspension on my 535, except for all the speed humps and speed bumps around here.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:03 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:42 am
retire14 wrote:
The Volvo S90 is the most attractive car in that class IMO. Check it out.
the Volvo OSD is very very good. Pro tip: upgrade to Business Class on the SAS flight

skime

Post by skime » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:25 am

retire14 wrote:
Don't forget the M4 :)

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:36 am

Would you consider a near-new CPO E class? Their values drop like a rock the first 3 years and are an absolutely killer value with the CPO coverage.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

chaucer

Post by chaucer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:51 am

Leased a 2017 540 M sport - love it. Also came from a 3 series and feel it was a big upgrade. Fast, sporty, luxurious, and comfortable. Only complaints are that the AC is a little weak, that I didn’t get upgraded speakers, and the run flat tires get killed by potholes. Would consider buying the next one when this lease is up, depending on the deals at that time. No issues in the 20 months I’ve had it. Didn’t look closely at MB or Audi since I was leasing and they couldn’t compete. Probably can’t go wrong but I’m a vote for the 5.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:59 am

skime wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:25 am
retire14 wrote:
Don't forget the M4 :)
I personally would include an M in my consideration (I bought an M2 earlier this year) but any M car is a pretty different choice than how soft the 5 series has gotten in recent generations. The M2 is very quite firm suspension-wise and far from super quiet. I like it but unsure if it would be suitable as a 'daily driver' in this area of bad roads (northern NJ). But, I don't drive to work and also have a 328i. Plus the M2 is noticeably smoother on the 18" wheels I got with my winter tire set recently, as opposed to the summer/19" set up it came with. From reading forums, I've never test driven an M4, my understanding is that 'competition package' M4's are too harsh even for some enthusiasts but for regular ones the overwhelming forum enthusiast verdict is 'firm like it should be', as owners seem to feel about the M2 and I do basically also, for what I want out of that particular car. Note as additional plug, the M2 has scored better times in head to heads v M4 with professional drivers on some tracks. It's definitely slower straight line (speaking of 2018 like mine and earlier M2's, the 2019 is more poweful), but the cornering is something else, and it's also quite a bit cheaper than an M4. Of course also quite a bit smaller for carrying people and stuff than a 5 series, which M4 is to a lesser extent also.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 pm

retire14 wrote:
Don’t forget the Tesla.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Agreed on the suggestion to consider the S90 and their excellent OSD program.

bds3

Post by bds3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Forget the A6. S5 sportback for less. Or if you're gonna splurge, bump that splurge up a notch: S6.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 pm

If you go with a new E-Class, skip the 4-cyl E300 and get the 6-cyl E400. Unless you don't care about power/acceleration.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:33 pm

onourway wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:27 pm
Agreed on the suggestion to consider the S90 and their excellent OSD program.
+3. Go for the T8

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:58 pm

retire14 wrote:
Sport or Luxury? Size and utility or style? How overpowered do you need to be? You can make arguements for any of these cars.

This is one segment where buying a 2-3 year old used one makes a ton of sense. You can buy a 60k car for 35k.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Consider the Genesis G 90 as an alternative to the Mercedes (not as an alternative to the other two cars).

The new 2018s are coming down in price, even though the 2019s are not out yet.

Ralph

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 am

They're all great cars so it comes down to preferences. This is how I see it. If I wanted a comfortable road car and to arrive in style, choose your favorite E class, all day. It would make a lot of sense to get it used if you don't mind the occasional fat repair bill. I wouldn't seriously consider a vanilla 5 series in comparison. If I wanted performance, the M5 is a beast, but don't overlook Mercedes AMG either. And Audi makes an incredibly nice Volkswagen in the vanilla trims, but the S series is worth a look.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:35 am

I’ve had my 2017 530i M-Sport for 15k mikes and 15 months and it’s been a spectacular vehicle. I came from a 2011 328 and I do miss the agility of the 3, the manual transmission, and the steering feel, but everything else on the 5 is better.

I seriously considered the Mercedes E class but there were a few areas where the BMW was better and made the BMW seem like the more well rounded vehicle. While the design of the E class interior is nice, some of the materials are cheap compared to the 5 series. The dual screen across the dashboard looks like an afterthought to me. The worst aspect of it though is the ergonomics. BMWs iDrive system is much better designed and the controls are setup so you almost never take your eyes off the road in the BMW (Heads up display is amazing). The Mercedes systems are distracting. BMWs 4 and 6 cylinder engines were smoother than their Mercedes counterparts. The BMWs ride is stiffer but no less comfortable, does an excellent job of being sporty and comfortable whereas the Mercedes feels sloppy in comparison.

The E class is a great car and the differences I mentioned above are pretty subtle. It’s not a night and day difference between the two cars but all the small things added up in favovr of the 5 for me

I didn’t consider the A6 at the time because it was in its last year of the redesign. If I were buying today, I would be even less inclined to consider the A6. All of the controls are now touch-screen and sacrifice function and ease of use for form. I also find the styling to basically look like an overweight stretched VW Jetta, and the driving experience is lacking due to it being based on a front wheel drive platform and having over boosted steering

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 am

You said you're getting older so that translates to wanting more comfort and a few cool nannies too. My favorite user interface of the German cars is the BMW system, especially the overhead camera. Sweet spot for comfort and sport is the 5 series; a great all day highway car and tight handling when you want it. I test drove an Audi S6 in 2015 and it was a great car albeit a little cheaper interior than BMW--and they wouldn't budge on price so hasta la vista. They have a new design coming out so might be worth checking into. The MB Command system used to be inferior to BMW, maybe it's been upgraded in the several years since I had one. MB just doesn't have great road feel/handling so not for me anymore. I've never driven a Panamera but they apparently handle amazingly considering the large looking size. P cars are a whole different price level though and maybe not worth it to you.

BMW has the best ED setup and a nice discount that'll help pay for the trip. Great sub-forum on https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/. I did it in 2012 (550i) and certainly would again. One month insurance is included if you wanna stay that long and they even load Europe maps into the nav system.

And buy new since this is your splurge car!
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm

As far as European Delivery goes I did it in 2010 with a 3 series. It was great experience at the Welt. I drove the car for four days along the Deutsche Alpenstrasse (and in retrospect was quite lucky I didn't get any very expensive speeding tickets). I picked the car up in early April so there was still some snow on the mountains and very little traffic on the roads in the middle of the week. I got the car for 10% off MSRP which paid for the travel expenses to Munich. The biggest hitch was that a number of cars sat at the port in the US for 45 days. BMW blamed customs and some other impacted people on Bimmerfest actually contacted customs and they blamed BMW ("tell them to come get their cars off our lot"). BMW claimed this was a one time issue.

BMW has since changed the program and the discount is much less. Also CUVs are more popular than sedans right now so you can get good deals on cars that are already on the lot or in transit. ED is a lot of fun, but it will no longer save you money. The Bimmerfest ED forum is a good place to get more info on the current program as well as ask any questions.

If you want a highway cruiser I'd go with the E Class. We had a 2003 and a 2010. Great comfortable cars.

retire14

Post by retire14 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 pm

spitty wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 am
You said you're getting older so that translates to wanting more comfort and a few cool nannies too. My favorite user interface of the German cars is the BMW system, especially the overhead camera. Sweet spot for comfort and sport is the 5 series; a great all day highway car and tight handling when you want it. I test drove an Audi S6 in 2015 and it was a great car albeit a little cheaper interior than BMW--and they wouldn't budge on price so hasta la vista. They have a new design coming out so might be worth checking into. The MB Command system used to be inferior to BMW, maybe it's been upgraded in the several years since I had one. MB just doesn't have great road feel/handling so not for me anymore. I've never driven a Panamera but they apparently handle amazingly considering the large looking size. P cars are a whole different price level though and maybe not worth it to you.

BMW has the best ED setup and a nice discount that'll help pay for the trip. Great sub-forum on https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/. I did it in 2012 (550i) and certainly would again. One month insurance is included if you wanna stay that long and they even load Europe maps into the nav system.

Thanks to all for great posts and advice. You did the ED for 550i, so obviously you did OK, but did you have any concerns about driving a medium size car (series 5 vs. Series 3)in Europe? Parking, driving in cities, etc?

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm

retire14 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 pm
spitty wrote:
did you have any concerns about driving a medium size car (series 5 vs. Series 3)in Europe? Parking, driving in cities, etc?
I would not do a European Delivery to focus on travel to large cities. A car is a hassle in any European city. Instead focus on the German, Swiss, Austrian, and Northern Italian countryside. Berchtesgaden. Garmisch. Ludwig's castles. Lake Como. Swiss mountain passes. You can sometimes stay in the countryside and take an S-Bahn commuter train into the city if you really want. Many rural hotels and inns have gravel parking lots not parking garages.

Driving in Germany is very easy. Roads are very clearly marked with the next village and the next larger town/city so you just need to keep in mind your next intermediate destination. To be honest I find GPS actually complicates navigation over a good road atlas. You can usually phonetically read and pronounce German signs to get by. Germans under the age of 60 generally learned English in school but younger people especially in rural areas may be more confident. I prefer to drive on rural highways over Autobahns most of the time. If on the Autobahn just remember to drive in the right lane and brake hard when the other cars do. Speed limits drop abruptly. Germans use the fast lane for passing not driving even when they are going 220 km/hr the way you were taught in drivers ed. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Biggest thing you have to watch for are automated kiosks that don't take American credit cards or cash. Supposedly this is getting better but I still try to avoid these situations.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:10 pm

spitty wrote:
did you have any concerns about driving a medium size car (series 5 vs. Series 3)in Europe? Parking, driving in cities, etc?
I would not do a European Delivery to focus on travel to large cities. A car is a hassle in any European city. Instead focus on the German, Swiss, Austrian, and Northern Italian countryside. Berchtesgaden. Garmisch. Ludwig's castles. Lake Como. Swiss mountain passes. You can sometimes stay in the countryside and take an S-Bahn commuter train into the city if you really want. Many rural hotels and inns have gravel parking lots not parking garages.

Driving in Germany is very easy. Roads are very clearly marked with the next village and the next larger town/city so you just need to keep in mind your next intermediate destination. To be honest I find GPS actually complicates navigation over a good road atlas. You can usually phonetically read and pronounce German signs to get by. Germans under the age of 60 generally learned English in school but younger people especially in rural areas may be more confident. I prefer to drive on rural highways over Autobahns most of the time. If on the Autobahn just remember to drive in the right lane and brake hard when the other cars do. Speed limits drop abruptly. Germans use the fast lane for passing not driving even when they are going 220 km/hr the way you were taught in drivers ed. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Biggest thing you have to watch for are automated kiosks that don't take American credit cards or cash. Supposedly this is getting better but I still try to avoid these situations.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Is the car the splurge, or the trip to Germany, or both?
I'm not sure what break in recommendations are on new BMW or MB .
It would suck to be on the autobahn and not be able to use the full speed of the car.
Because you want to break it in properly. Then you get it home and could not use the speed because it was not legal.
Splurge any way you want!

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:26 pm

BMW with Sport suspension and don't look back.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:26 pm
BMW with Sport suspension and don't look back.
+1

My 5 has the m-sport suspension and it’s the right balance between sport and comfort. Even on LA’s terrible roads it rides great. To me, the base suspension and the adaptive suspension were a bit to floaty.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:53 pm

retire14 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 pm
spitty wrote:

Thanks to all for great posts and advice. You did the ED for 550i, so obviously you did OK, but did you have any concerns about driving a medium size car (series 5 vs. Series 3)in Europe? Parking, driving in cities, etc?
Yes, the 5 is huge compared to average German cars on the road and I was very aware of that on the usual narrow urban roads. Parking was easy however with the overhead camera--very precise and I quickly learned to trust it. Most trouble I had was using the parking meter system since instructions are in German only. Everybody, at least in bigger cities, spoke English and didn't mind helping with directions, etc. My Nuremburg hotel had an underground garage that would be tight for a motorcycle--so that was scary but rescued by the camera system. And I had to back into this one!
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:52 pm

We purchased a low millage CPO Audi A6 a few years ago and couldn't be happier with the car. It has been extremely reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Audi. Our splurge car is our Porsche.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:36 pm

-1 on the Volvo S90.

I drove a 2017 model for 850 miles last month, and while it's a very comfortable and decent car, it's not in contention with a 540i or E400. I would recommend the new E class with the giant dash screen over any prior E class models. No comment the BMW - friends have them but I personally haven't really driven those. I have no comment on Euro delivery (never done it).

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:01 pm

retire14 wrote:
Your take on 2019 MB E Class or BMW Series 5 or Audi 6?
I've owned all three of those European marques and a few more. They all make great cars - but personally I would never want to buy one in it's first year of production - too much risk of bugs that need working out. The Audi A6 is going to be all new for MY2019. The current BMW 5 Series was released MY2018 and the current MB E Class was all new for MY2017.

What do you value in a car? Any particular technology that interest you? Things like: sporty handling? comfortable ride? semi-autonomous driving? laser headlights? night vision? fuel economy? luxury?
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:05 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:58 pm
retire14 wrote:
Sport or Luxury? Size and utility or style? How overpowered do you need to be?
+1
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:08 pm

retire14 wrote:
Would you consider the M3?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Used AMG station wagon
Promise you’ll have barrels
of fun

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Having driven an E class for a number of years, I now drive a 3- series. The MB was a big heavy slug by comparison. Be sure you are going to be happy with the bigger cars. Ride etc smoother but not so much fun to drive I think. Had a great time at the Welt during a trip to Munich and would consider ED in the future. Good luck!

iceman99

Post by iceman99 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:08 pm

I own a 2017 E400 wagon. Great car.

I recommend you test drive the cars you are interested in at night as well. Can't speak for the other brands but the MB has apple CarPlay which I use 100% of the time while I drive (Navigation, messaging, Prime music, etc). Easiest interface IMO.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 pm

I would wait for the new 3-series which was just introduced. It looks like it has pretty much everything that makes the 5-series so great, but at a more reasonable size and less weight. I love the 5-series, but these cars are a bit too large now and not quite nimble-enough. I would take a serious look at the new 3-series:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1540476

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am

spitty wrote:
I test drove an Audi S6 in 2015 and it was a great car albeit a little cheaper interior than BMW--and they wouldn't budge on price so hasta la vista.
Funny I felt the exact opposite when I sat in a a6 versus bmw 5 series. I didn't own them so I have no clue about exact packages. Maybe the audi had some 10k interior package. In the end who cares about mine or yours opinions. You got to go sit in these cars and decides which one speeds to you.

Personally I sort of like the Jaguar XF. A good chunk is that you don't see a dozen of them every time you go out like you do with BMW, Audi, and MB and part is english charm. I will not pretend that it is totally rational. And the quality bar is probably a bit too low even for someone willing to put up with BMW and MB reliability.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 am

I looked into BMW ED a few years back and it sounds like it's really more of a pain that doesn't really save you any money in the long run. Instead of doing ED I just went to Munich, visited BMW Welt, and rented a car for trips outside of Munich. I was fine driving a rental on the Autobahn :D

Then when you get home just go an buy a discounted BMW. I guess the whole experience would be cool if it was some rare BMW or something.

As far a which car to buy, you really need to drive all 3 and drive them with the configuration you plan on buying. If it was me, I'd stay away from the turbo 4 cylinder models on any luxury car. Yes, they are now pretty powerful but the sound alone would kill it for me and all 3 make great V6's. Audi was killing everyone in the interior for a long time but now the other 2 have stepped up and the Mercedes infotainment are beautiful. The A6 exterior is boring. If it was me, I add an Lexus GS 350F in the mix if you can look past the cow catcher grill.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:52 am

Be prepared for poor reliability and plenty of aggravation at the service center with any of them. Not guaranteed to happen, but you need to be mentally ready for this tradeoff (otherwise get a Lexus GS350).

Bearing that in mind and in order of reliability -

The MB is the best all-arounder: most solid, quietest, safest,luxury interior, durable, etc and most conservative. CLS is essentially an E class with style.

BMW will handle better and is generally a bit sportier, despite loss of sportiness in the 5 series over the last couple decades. Spartan interior.

Audi will do better in rain and snow with perhaps better interior. Driving dynamics boring due to AWD.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 am

visualguy wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 pm
I would wait for the new 3-series which was just introduced. It looks like it has pretty much everything that makes the 5-series so great, but at a more reasonable size and less weight. I love the 5-series, but these cars are a bit too large now and not quite nimble-enough. I would take a serious look at the new 3-series:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1540476
I'd agree with this. Sedans from all manufacturers are inching up in size. The new 3 series should definitely be on your list if you can hold out another year for demand to settle.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:40 am

snackdog wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:52 am
Be prepared for poor reliability and plenty of aggravation at the service center with any of them. Not guaranteed to happen, but you need to be mentally ready for this tradeoff (otherwise get a Lexus GS350).

Bearing that in mind and in order of reliability -

The MB is the best all-arounder: most solid, quietest, safest,luxury interior, durable, etc and most conservative. CLS is essentially an E class with style.

BMW will handle better and is generally a bit sportier, despite loss of sportiness in the 5 series over the last couple decades. Spartan interior.

Audi will do better in rain and snow with perhaps better interior. Driving dynamics boring due to AWD.
The reliability is opposite order of what you have listed. According to consumer reports and other reliability studies, Audi and BMW are actually above average and ranked about 5th and 6th, above many Japanese brands like Honda, Mazda and Nissan but below Toyota and Lexus. Mercedes is much lower on the list and considered below average. Don’t remember their exact rank but it’s 15 or 16 or around there

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 am
As far a which car to buy, you really need to drive all 3 and drive them with the configuration you plan on buying. If it was me, I'd stay away from the turbo 4 cylinder models on any luxury car. Yes, they are now pretty powerful but the sound alone would kill it for me and all 3 make great V6's.
My 5 series is the 4 cylinder and I agree with you but not because of the sound...the G30 2017-current generation of the 5 has so much sound deafening you couldn’t tell it’s a 4 cylinder by sound alone...it honestly feels like most brands V6.

That said, A V6 engine is inferior in every way to BMWs excellent inline 6. So while the bmw 4 cylinder feels like an Audi or Mercedes V6 just a bit slower (but not much because the BMW weighs less and has better aerodynamics than the others), it’s nowhere near as smooth as BMW’s inline 6. I figured the 4 would be fine for me because I mostly sit in traffic, but I truly miss the refinement of the inline 6 that I had in my old 328, and also my 98 M3 which I drive on weekends for fun.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am
dsmclone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 am
As far a which car to buy, you really need to drive all 3 and drive them with the configuration you plan on buying. If it was me, I'd stay away from the turbo 4 cylinder models on any luxury car. Yes, they are now pretty powerful but the sound alone would kill it for me and all 3 make great V6's.
My 5 series is the 4 cylinder and I agree with you but not because of the sound...the G30 2017-current generation of the 5 has so much sound deafening you couldn’t tell it’s a 4 cylinder by sound alone...it honestly feels like most brands V6.

That said, A V6 engine is inferior in every way to BMWs excellent inline 6. So while the bmw 4 cylinder feels like an Audi or Mercedes V6 just a bit slower (but not much because the BMW weighs less and has better aerodynamics than the others), it’s nowhere near as smooth as BMW’s inline 6. I figured the 4 would be fine for me because I mostly sit in traffic, but I truly miss the refinement of the inline 6 that I had in my old 328, and also my 98 M3 which I drive on weekends for fun.

Sorry I put V6, I meant all 6 cylinders made by these 3. I have an m235i and agree that the motor is glorious.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Wow, I am impressed no one jumped in recommending a Corolla yet. :P

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:27 pm

AUDI A6 .. other German names are a dime a dozen on the road.. A6 or A7 will be more exclusive
Last edited by Keenobserver on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgf

Post by bgf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm

ooo, id get a black Cadillac CT6 with SuperCruise.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

Restless

Post by Restless » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm

retire14 wrote:
I’m in the market for the same type of car, hoping to get my hands on the car by year’s end. I’m anxiously waiting to see and drive the new A6. I understand the concern with updated first-year German cars; but now that I’m retired, I’m less intimidated by issues that will pop up due to the luxury of more discretionary time.

Although the E Class is nice, especially with the upcoming new inline 6 engine, I just can’t live with how the car looks. But, style preference is a personal thing. I intend to try out the 540i as I had an E90 335i in the past (had issues, but liked it). This might be a challenge as most 540s around here are xDrives.

As for the Volvo, I just tried out a T6 XC60 over the weekend. While I felt very safe and comfortable in the car (love Volvo seats), the engine is not as refined as four-cylinders in German brands due to more noise (unpleasant type) and vibration. Since all Volvos now use the same basic engine (with turbo, turbo and super charger, or turbo and super charger and battery), I don’t think the experience will be significantly different in a S90.

In the last 10 years, I’ve had cars from all three German brands (still have my B8 S4), and a Volvo 850 in the 90’s. So, I have no loyalty to any brand, just concerned with how the car meets my requirements at the time.

I would not let availability of ED be a major factor as I’ll be living with the car far longer than the effects of a trip to Germany/Europe, and I can take a trip there anyway. Since you’re splurging, I wouldn’t consider a few thousand dollars in cost difference to be the deciding factor as well.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 pm

retire14 wrote:
What model year is your current 3 series?

Bryan995

Post by Bryan995 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 am

Tesla. S or 3 performance. Be sure to drive one before you settle for a bmw/audi, ;) That is all.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 am

Bryan995 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 am
Tesla. S or 3 performance. Be sure to drive one before you settle for a bmw/audi, ;) That is all.
Not really comparable... Teslas don't have some important features like surround view cameras (extremely helpful when parking) and a head-up display. Also, there are big differences in interiors, ergonomics of controls, and fit-and-finish. For people who care most about the car being electric, Teslas make perfect sense, but if that's not a huge consideration for you, the picture changes quite a bit in favor of the Germans.

msk

Post by msk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:02 am

Not in the Germanic tribe but do consider a Lexus LS500 (I skipped the LS500h because it's a bit slower, 0-60 in 5.2 sec instead of 4.6, and at my age, 74, I need to be in a hurry :twisted: ). Why the LS500? I wanted to buy the top two 2018 luxury sedans, one for DW and one for myself. All reviewers place the Mercedes S Class at the top of the heap (and I loved my Mercedes 500SEC way back through the 1980s), but I was also astonished by the reliability and comfort of my Lexus LS460 through the late 2000's. So I special ordered a 2018 Mercedes S560L and a 2018 Lexus LS500. Performance, comfort, caressable leather, all features are very much equivalent (my own top specs for each), but the Mercedes costs almost twice as much. To me that really demonstrates how much of a bargain the Lexus LS500 is! Probably within spitting distance of a well loaded E Class and its Germanic brethren. Do check out the LS500. PS I hate the front grills of both the S560L and the LS500 but the rest of each car is pretty much close to perfection.