Please help me with my car decision

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sleepydoc99

Please help me with my car decision

Post by Sleepydoc99 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:01 am

Bogleheads, Thank you for all you do. I would appreciate your kind advice:

Situation:
1. I drive 3 miles to work most days. Sometimes 7 miles. Very occasionally 60 miles to cover distant hospital. Maybe 5x a year. Not in winter usually. I drive a Porsche for about 7 months a year. 2 seater rwd.

2. My wife drives 30 mins to work 4x a week. She has a nice modern car with awd and winter tires. It’s great and seats five. Infiniti, she likes it.

3. We have a minivan. We love it. I drive it 5 winter months a year. We both drive it weekends or whenever kids have stuff after school...

4. We have 3 kids 7,6 yo. And a 6 month old. We are almost 40.

5. No school debt, forever home paid off. NW 4MM. trying to cruise and work less. Combined income projection:850

Problem:
I can’t take the minivan in the winter because it’s inconvenient for the kids, wife, nanny to not be able to use it if I’m at work. I have a fourth spot in garage. I just don’t want the hassle of a fourth car. I’m also not going to give up the Porsche easily. It’s my only slight indulgence that I bought used in cash... I also like convertibles a lot...

So an electric car might work? No oil changes. I need extreme reliability. I don’t care about status etc for this car. Just winter safe. Fits five people? Likely four is ok

I truly appreciate any responses and am happy to answer questions. Thank you in advance.

livesoft

Re: Please help me with my car decision

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:19 am

What is the most common family vehicle that you see on the roads in the winter when you are driving?

I truly don't see what the hassle of a 4th car is for you. You have 3 drivers (you, spouse, nanny) and 2 utilitarian cars and a non-utilitarian car. You want 3 utilitarian cars: One for each driver. You want a vehicle that will be around in 10 years when the kids start driving.

A possibility would be an Infiniti SUV, so you have 2 Infinitis and use the same place for service.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:25 am

Our nanny only uses our car occasionally. Less than once every three months. She has her own vehicle that can seat five.

Also, we have bought all of our cars used. The most expensive of which is my wife’s car which was still less than 40k...

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 am

Sleepydoc99 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:25 am
Our nanny only uses our car occasionally. Less than once every three months. She has her own vehicle that can seat five.

Also, we have bought all of our cars used. The most expensive of which is my wife’s car which was still less than 40k...
You don't need a 4th car.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 am

First world problems, humblebrag edition.

For a 3-7 mile commute, I’d sell the Porsche and get a bicycle, and teach my kids by example about fitness and saving the planet. Then get a Subaru or something for winter.

Or just take an Uber when it snows.

But I think you want permission from strangers to get a 4th car. You can afford it, so you don’t really need our permission.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 am

Sleepydoc99 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:01 am
Problem:
I can’t take the minivan in the winter because it’s inconvenient for the kids, wife, nanny to not be able to use it if I’m at work.
Why not take the Infiniti on those days.... what's the problem?

nanosour

Post by nanosour » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:53 am

Ditch the Porsche and get a Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring for your daily driving needs. (Assembled in Indiana so you'll be supporting the local economy) Then get a cool retro motorcycle to scratch your fun driving itch.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:54 am

I was in a similar situation until recently, except our nanny used our vehicle frequently.

I kept a used 4th vehicle around so that I had something to drive during the winter.

I have been recently down-sizing vehicles and other possessions to try and simplify my life. In your case I don’t really see the need for a 4th vehicle. Make other arrangements if the nanny only needs your vehicle 4x a year.

If you want a 4th vehicle for whatever reason, buy something used you like (I suspect if you drive an older Porsche 7 months of the year there are lots of other older vehicles, perhaps a BMW or something that would interest you) or lease something dirt-cheap. The overall cost will be about the same either way. There are leases for under $150/month for basic transport. A used Leaf would be a good option as well.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:12 am

I'll give you a strategy.

Fun car: Sell your Porsche and pick up a 996 turbo. These are all all wheel drive and are currently bargain priced in the 911 family. Because there is no intermediate shaft in the engine, you avoid the infamous IMS bearing problem. With snow tires, it'll get through the snow after it's been plowed. Of course, if there are 2 foot frozen ice balls on the road, this won't work.

Infinity for the wife: Keep the Infinity for the wife.

Mini Van for the nanny: Keep the mini van for the nanny.

There. No extra cars. No bicycling through minus 8 degree ice covered streets. All situations covered.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:19 am

Seems like Uber and Enterprise (car rental) would solve most of your problems. Use some of your $ to pay for convenience and quality of life.

Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 am

1. I’m so sorry that this came off as a humblebrag. Please know that is not my intention and I’m happy to withdraw my questions if that’s the case.
2. Thank you for the suggestion for the leaf. I’ll look into it. Any issues with winter tires on it?
3. Thank you for the suggestion of the Porsche awd. I’ll look into that and hopefully not to expensive. Not looking at getting through a foot of snow.
4. Biking and Uber are not possible at the times I work and due to the nature of where I live. I appreciate the fitness aspect of it but my kids will learn that from my marathon running and CrossFit.

I truly didn’t mean to offend anyone. I came from very humble beginnings and haven’t made current salary for a number of years. Any further help is appreciated as well.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 am

Seems more inconvenient to own a 4th vehicle to me. Even if you do get an EV, you can't let it sit for 7 months in the summer. You'll have to drive it every couple of weeks to maintain the 12v battery like any other car.

I say buy narrow profile diono radian car seats and fit 3 car seats in the back in your wife's Infinity so that she can go with the Nanny to places. That's what we did and we have a Prius. We have 1 Diono Radian and 1 rear facing carrier for our new born and one regular Britax car seat. We also have a compact double stroller and an umbrella stroller if there will be a lot of walking.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 am

The Porsche is your fun car, I get that. So keep it.

So ideally, you need two other cars, one for you to drive in winter and one for your wife to drive year round. It seems like if your wife drove the minivan in the winter and you drove the Infiniti, that might work. Your wife also might say I don’t want to drive the minivan in the winter. I get that too. It’s also possible that the minivan needs to be available when your wife is at work. If any of these things is true, I think you are looking at a fourth car. It’s really not that much additional hassle. Buy something used, relatively utilitarian that would be good in winter and maybe have some use in summer. Your income certainly will support this and it’s probably worth it overall.

I own 4 cars and for the most part it’s just oil changes every six months. The difference between 3 cars and 4 cars is not a lot actually. It some ways it is more convenient because you can leave a car for service for a couple days if needed and still have enough cars to cover for a few days.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:55 am

Don't worry about the snide "humblebrag" comment. Plenty of folks on this board are very well-to-do, and that's hardly anything to be ashamed of. Judgmental snarky comments like that reflect envy, add nothing to the discussion, and are appropriately ignored.

To your question, though, an electric vehicle makes good sense. Internal combustion-powered vehicles do not do well on short commutes, because the motors cannot warm up sufficiently to burn off contaminants in the oil. Additionally, condensation which forms in exhaust systems will not burn off because the systems do not get hot enough on such short drives, resulting in more corrosion and a potential need to replace them much sooner than would ordinarily be the case. Because short drives do not permit cars with internal combustion engines to reach normal operating temperatures, an electric alternative would be very practical as any range limitations inherent in electric propulsion would have no impact in that use case.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Sleepydoc99 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 am
1. I’m so sorry that this came off as a humblebrag. Please know that is not my intention and I’m happy to withdraw my questions if that’s the case.
2. Thank you for the suggestion for the leaf. I’ll look into it. Any issues with winter tires on it?
3. Thank you for the suggestion of the Porsche awd. I’ll look into that and hopefully not to expensive. Not looking at getting through a foot of snow.
4. Biking and Uber are not possible at the times I work and due to the nature of where I live. I appreciate the fitness aspect of it but my kids will learn that from my marathon running and CrossFit.

I truly didn’t mean to offend anyone. I came from very humble beginnings and haven’t made current salary for a number of years. Any further help is appreciated as well.
"I came from very humble beginnings and haven’t made current salary for a number of years"
Very curious how this start leads to $4M net worth before 40 with 3 kids, home paid off, and no school loans.

Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi smitcat. Not sure if you really wanted an answer but here it is:

We made a lot less and had 250k in loans. We lived like residents for a number of years. We bought a house in a LCOL area and we also got significantly better jobs here. It also helped that I graduated early from high school and college. We buy nice cars but used. We take vacations but nothing crazy. Our biggest expenses by far are child care and kids activities.

Leaning toward the 997 convertible

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:35 pm

How does a 997 convertible solve your winter car problem?

Edited to add: if you are ok driving a Porsche in the winter, just get a set of dedicated snow tires and rims and run them on your existing Porsche From Nov. 1 to May 1 or so. Then you can run summer tires the rest of the year. AWD won’t be that much of an upgrade; you still have to turn and stop. I’d probably rather drive a RWD Porsche with snow tires over an AWD Porsche with all season tires in the winter.
Last edited by Kenkat on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:43 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 am

For a 3-7 mile commute, I’d sell the Porsche and get a bicycle, and teach my kids by example about fitness and saving the planet. Then get a Subaru or something for winter.

But I think you want permission from strangers to get a 4th car. You can afford it, so you don’t really need our permission.
Cripes.
I have two vehicles (Mustang convertible and F-150 pickup) and I'm retired, and single.
If working people want two vehicles each, then that's perfectly fine.
Where's the problem?
Attempted new signature...

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Sleepydoc99 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm

We made a lot less and had 250k in loans. We lived like residents for a number of years. We bought a house in a LCOL area and we also got significantly better jobs here. It also helped that I graduated early from high school and college. We buy nice cars but used. We take vacations but nothing crazy. Our biggest expenses by far are child care and kids activities.

Great answer Sleepydoc99!!

Best to you!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:09 pm

The discussion is starting to get a bit contentious. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
Please stay focused on helping the OP.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:17 pm

It sounds like you really enjoy the Porsche so it does not sound like giving that up is a good option.

With your income and net-worth having a very safe car for the normal winter months is an easy financial choice and it would be easy to over-analyse the situation. In addition to your normal winters there will also occasionally be an unusually bad snow or ice storm every few years so also consider possibility.

By your user name and income I would assume that you are a doctor(D'oh!)and may have spent some time in an emergency room. I don't know what the statistics would but setting yourself and your family up to be driving a minivan on icy roads might not be a good choice. In addition to your normal short commute things can happen like you will have to drive in bad weather to pick up your kids or some other unavoidable errand.

Here are some of the safety ratings.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

You are a little bit away from it but one other piece of the puzzle is that it will not be all that long until your kids are learning to drive.

They could learn to drive on a minivan but then when they are out and about with it the minivan would not be available to haul the other kids around. At that point having a fourth car could make more sense so right now you are mainly looking at a short term solution.

If I was in your situation I would just get something like a late model or new Subaru Outback with all the safety bells and whistles and good snow-tires to drive in the winter. It should also hold its value pretty well. A year or two before your oldest kid is ready to drive you could reevaluate what car you want with teenage drivers and by then an 8 year old Outback might still be a good car for them to learn to drive on.

An Outback might also be a lot better than your wife's car in snow, if that is the case then on bad snow days she could take the Outback and you could use her car for your short commute.

We were in a much different situation but when my son was a teenager we let him have my wife's older Subaru Legacy to drive because it was reasonably safe even back then. It is a bit hokey but they even use "passing the car down to your kid" in some Subaru commercials, but there is some truth in that.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:22 pm

I’m confused.

You have a minivan that your nanny never actually uses, but you state it’s inconvenient for her not to be able to use it.

Your wife has a car that should be able to seat 3 kids in a pinch.

Why do you need a 4th car?

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Sleepydoc99 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm

There might be different versions of it but a quick google found that it only has around four inches of ground clearance. Even if it has four wheel drive that will be a problem in any snow.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I gather you and your wife were both residents so are both docs,so your NW at 40 is not an issue.High training, high responsibility,very high work hours, not sure why you got clobbered by laying out your NW on this site. If you had done a startup app renting bicycles and made 20M on the IPO everyone would be congratulating you.

Anyway, to the cars. You can have six cars if you want to,in relation to your income it is not a big deal. Certainly 4 is ok. Keep the Porsche,I get it. I have a Mercedes I rarely drive, it is 20 years old, I am keeping it!

My favorite daily driver is a 2006 Chevy Avalanche Z71, loaded, with four wheel drive on the fly. I have used it in the cold climates, to ski resorts, arount town, love it.It is not a pickup truck. They stopped making the Avalanche I think in 2014, but I think that would be a great used vehiicle if you get one in good condtion. Very versatile, and most of all, when you are doing that 60 mile drive, it is nice to ride higher up when going down the highway.

Minivans-get rid o the minivan, get maybe a Subaru Outback for the nanny.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:22 pm
I’m confused.

You have a minivan that your nanny never actually uses, but you state it’s inconvenient for her not to be able to use it.

Your wife has a car that should be able to seat 3 kids in a pinch.

Why do you need a 4th car?
This. What's the issue if the nanny doesnt really need a vehicle? Why does the nanny use your minivan 4x a year? Can you rent the nanny a SUV those 4 times?

Lol at the folks touting bicycle commuting to the OP in a snide way of downplaying OP's parental abilities. Very nicely done. Regardless of the merit of your thoughts, hopefully rereading the way they are communicated results in understanding the arrogance and disrespect in your tone.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:12 pm
I gather you and your wife were both residents so are both docs,so your NW at 40 is not an issue.High training, high responsibility,very high work hours, not sure why you got clobbered by laying out your NW on this site. If you had done a startup app renting bicycles and made 20M on the IPO everyone would be congratulating you.

Anyway, to the cars. You can have six cars if you want to,in relation to your income it is not a big deal. Certainly 4 is ok. Keep the Porsche,I get it. I have a Mercedes I rarely drive, it is 20 years old, I am keeping it!

My favorite daily driver is a 2006 Chevy Avalanche Z71, loaded, with four wheel drive on the fly. I have used it in the cold climates, to ski resorts, arount town, love it.It is not a pickup truck. They stopped making the Avalanche I think in 2014, but I think that would be a great used vehiicle if you get one in good condtion. Very versatile, and most of all, when you are doing that 60 mile drive, it is nice to ride higher up when going down the highway.

Minivans-get rid o the minivan, get maybe a Subaru Outback for the nanny.
"I gather you and your wife were both residents so are both docs,so your NW at 40 is not an issue.High training, high responsibility,very high work hours, not sure why you got clobbered by laying out your NW on this site. If you had done a startup app renting bicycles and made 20M on the IPO everyone would be congratulating you"

If you happen to be referring to my post I do apologize to the OP if it came off as snippy or negative - it was certainly not intended that way.
Certainly not intended to 'cobber' but rather impressed about the shorter term of accumulation and wanting to learn.
It was truly a curiosity question and was more of a math question then a personal question about their life> More like a how do you get there form here question by saving and investing not about lifestyle really.
Given that guess I also made other guess's that they would not have begun earning until the late 20's and that would leave give or take 10-11 years of accumulations. If one was to make say a combined $600K a year the taxes would be at least $200K or so.
Anyway - there was no intention to "clobber" , there was an intention to learn however clumsy and/or incorrect it may have come out.
I did assume that both the OP's were in the medical field as well and

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 am

Just add another car. Panamera or something. You make a fortune and manage it well.

My wife and I make way less (roughly same age) and we have six vehicles (all paid for). We enjoy them and they represent a small portion of our NW picture. Our experience is another car always comes in handy when a repair is required.

BTW, I didn't take your post as a brag at all, you were just laying out the facts in an efficient manner.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Combined income projection:850
When you say you want to buy a nice used vehicle, I am at loss for words.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:23 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 am

I think we all knew this was coming :sharebeer .

Isn't a bicycle a little extravagant? I'd buy some used roller blades at the salvation army and teach my kids the real meaning of frugality.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:39 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:19 am
Seems like Uber and Enterprise (car rental) would solve most of your problems. Use some of your $ to pay for convenience and quality of life.
I was about to say Uber ... especially with a name like sleepydoc!! :oops:

letaPAS037

Post by letaPAS037 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Easy: I driven manual transmission RWD sports cars as daily driver for last 11 years in Midwest winter. Invest 2k in a set of wheels with winter tires - I feel more surefooted in RWD with winter tires more than AWD with all season (ie no season) tires. In fact, I do this even with an SUV at the house because I enjoy it more

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Sleepydoc99 wrote:

Situation:
1. I drive 3 miles to work most days. Sometimes 7 miles. Very occasionally 60 miles to cover distant hospital. Maybe 5x a year. Not in winter usually. I drive a Porsche for about 7 months a year. 2 seater rwd.

2. My wife drives 30 mins to work 4x a week. She has a nice modern car with awd and winter tires. It’s great and seats five. Infiniti, she likes it.

3. We have a minivan. We love it. I drive it 5 winter months a year. We both drive it weekends or whenever kids have stuff after school...

5. No school debt, forever home paid off. NW 4MM. trying to cruise and work less. Combined income projection:850

Problem:
I can’t take the minivan in the winter because it’s inconvenient for the kids, wife, nanny to not be able to use it if I’m at work. I have a fourth spot in garage. I just don’t want the hassle of a fourth car. I’m also not going to give up the Porsche easily. It’s my only slight indulgence that I bought used in cash... I also like convertibles a lot...

So an electric car might work? No oil changes. I need extreme reliability. I don’t care about status etc for this car. Just winter safe. Fits five people? Likely four is ok

I truly appreciate any responses and am happy to answer questions. Thank you in advance.
Buy snow tires on steel rims and put them on the Porsche in winters. Might be the most cost effective alternative to getting a fourth car.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Bicycling sounds like someone didn't read winter in Indiana.

Why not sell the minivan and buy two identical Subaru Outbacks? They're cheap (relative to NW and income), easy to maintain, cheap to insure, and hold values pretty well. Sounds like this isn't really a problem, especially since OP even has garage space for it.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:11 pm

smitcat wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 am

If you happen to be referring to my post I do apologize to the OP if it came off as snippy or negative - it was certainly not intended that way.
Certainly not intended to 'cobber' but rather impressed about the shorter term of accumulation and wanting to learn.
It was truly a curiosity question and was more of a math question then a personal question about their life> More like a how do you get there form here question by saving and investing not about lifestyle really.
Given that guess I also made other guess's that they would not have begun earning until the late 20's and that would leave give or take 10-11 years of accumulations. If one was to make say a combined $600K a year the taxes would be at least $200K or so.
Anyway - there was no intention to "clobber" , there was an intention to learn however clumsy and/or incorrect it may have come out.
I did assume that both the OP's were in the medical field as well and
No worries Smitcat, maybe I misunderstood also :sharebeer

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get an Outback 3.5 (V6 engine) loaded with all their new safety features.

Yes, you could outfit your beloved Porsche with snow tires, but that won't help if another car slips on ice and slides into you.
Let it rest in the garage in snowy/icy weather.

In my opinion, the Outback drives more like a car or station wagon and is built to handle challenging weather conditions.
Should you be called on to fill-in at the hospital across town during a sleet storm, you'll be able to get there with confidence.

As an added bonus, when your oldest is ready to learn to drive, you'll have the ideal new driver car right there in the garage.

Have you checked out the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety ratings https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List/?

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 pm

we're in a similar family situation (without the Porsche). minivan for kids and nanny, husband's car (drives far to work).

For me, who has a short commute to the train, we have an old 4WD jeep Cherokee. We keep it on the driveway when needed. I've stopped doing cosmetic repairs on it. It is simply my beater commuter car. and it's great to have a 4WD in the snowy winters.
So, if I were you, I would buy an older used 4WD SUV. It would fit your needs well. (But I would also sell the Porsche)

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm not sure where I see the "hassle" in adding another car. You have both the means and the garage space. There are endless options of cars that would fit the situation. Also, I wouldn't consider driving a porsche, even with snow tires, in the winter in your situation, it's unnecessary.

Seems to me that this boils down to: you have a toy that you want to keep, and now you need a daily driver that can handle winter. I wouldn't overthink it.

Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you for your suggestion about winter tires on my boxster. I don’t have a long commute at all. Do you really think I could add winter tires to my boxster and do icy roads more times than not? I could always take the minivan in a pinch or if it’s several inches of snow? We do winter tires on the wife’s infiniti and it makes a world of difference.

Also, about how we got here: honestly we just came from so little that lifestyle creep just took a long time. I’ve never bought a new car, bought used huge house - got lucky in 2012, and I worked 80-100 hours a week the first five years with no kids and 800/month rent! Frankly, it’s about being thankful for what you have and not always wanting more at this point. Just looking for what I can do best for the kids.

Sorry I didn’t mean to be bragging. In my circle of friends, I’m the one with low net worth... so I never come off as the most successful or biggest house, nicest car etc... so the thought of me bragging is silly to me compared to people whose family nw is 10-100MM and some of them drive used Honda’s.

I appreciate all of you but I won’t be biking to work!! I gave up long distance cycling once I started working. It’s too dangerous in any weather.

Thank you again.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Sleepydoc99 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm
Thank you for your suggestion about winter tires on my boxster. I don’t have a long commute at all. Do you really think I could add winter tires to my boxster and do icy roads more times than not? I could always take the minivan in a pinch or if it’s several inches of snow? We do winter tires on the wife’s infiniti and it makes a world of difference.

Also, about how we got here: honestly we just came from so little that lifestyle creep just took a long time. I’ve never bought a new car, bought used huge house - got lucky in 2012, and I worked 80-100 hours a week the first five years with no kids and 800/month rent! Frankly, it’s about being thankful for what you have and not always wanting more at this point. Just looking for what I can do best for the kids.

Sorry I didn’t mean to be bragging. In my circle of friends, I’m the one with low net worth... so I never come off as the most successful or biggest house, nicest car etc... so the thought of me bragging is silly to me compared to people whose family nw is 10-100MM and some of them drive used Honda’s.

I appreciate all of you but I won’t be biking to work!! I gave up long distance cycling once I started working. It’s too dangerous in any weather.

Thank you again.
"Thank you for your suggestion about winter tires on my boxster. I don’t have a long commute at all. Do you really think I could add winter tires to my boxster and do icy roads more times than not? "|
No - I would never consider putting winter tires on that Porsche or taking it out when the roads are salted and/or slippery with snow and ice.
Get what you need to commute when the Porsche is not the correct tool to use.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm

One consideration with snow tires on a Porsche or other RWD vehicle is that it's a pretty big hassle to switch them out twice each year. You can't carry the other tires to the shop in the Porsche because it lacks the necessary cargo capacity, so someone else will have to drive a second vehicle to the shop where you'll either change tires or change wheels with your off-season tires already mounted. You'll have to store the tires/wheels for the other season so you'll always have a set of tires and, possibly, wheels, lying around your garage. In colder climates, a car like a Porsche is perhaps best left garaged with some Sta-Bil in the tank and on a Battery Tender during the Winter months.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm

I on the other hand would get winter tires on the Porsche (if you are ok exposing it to the elements). I’d drive it up the sides of mountains, on ski slopes, past AWD SUVs with all season tires, playing Ride of the Valkyries when appropriate. You can probably find a tire dealer who will store your tires and swap them out for you twice a year for a reasonable fee.

If it’s a garage queen, then you need another car. Otherwise, drive it, enjoy it, and buy something else when it’s worn out.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 am

GmanJeff wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm
One consideration with snow tires on a Porsche or other RWD vehicle is that it's a pretty big hassle to switch them out twice each year. You can't carry the other tires to the shop in the Porsche because it lacks the necessary cargo capacity, so someone else will have to drive a second vehicle to the shop where you'll either change tires or change wheels with your off-season tires already mounted. You'll have to store the tires/wheels for the other season so you'll always have a set of tires and, possibly, wheels, lying around your garage.
There are two very simple solutions to this:

1. Change them yourself. it only takes 20 minutes. This is what I do for both of our vehicles with winter tires--did it last week, in fact.
2. Let the tire shop store them. Some will do this for free if you pay for them to do the swaps. My parents store one of their off-season sets at Discount Tire, which charges $70/year for storage and both swaps (winter and spring).

Both of our vehicles have room to carry their alternate set, but I just don't bother any more. I was considering storing my wife's at a tire shop, but did a little reshuffling in the garage and found a way to store both sets (8 wheels and tires for 2 vehicles) without giving up much storage space vs. the way I had been storing just the one set.

WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Sleepydoc99 wrote:

Situation:

Problem:

First things first...

1) You are KILLING THE GAME!!! Congragts on NW, Income, and what I assume is zero debt.
2) Don't pay any attention to folks that come off too judgey, some don't mean too but sound that way, and others you just ignore.

Background:

This is one area of indulgence for me. To me, life is too short to drive a boring car all the time. I have my reliable transportation that is my every day ride (and is like an old shoe) and just gets the job done. Then I always like to have some sort of totally fun car, that is more of an "experience" to drive. In the past I had a street legal HMMWV. Not a "Hummer" or H1, but a 1987 ex-military M998. No AC, no radio, soft top, diesel. It was a BLAST to drive and own.

We currently have 4 vehicles:

Wife: GMC Yukon XL. This is our people and stuff mover. IMHO there's no better ride that packs a ton of crap and eats tons miles on the highway. The MPG sucks, and since its' a GMC, the interior will fall apart within 10 years, but overall we love it.

Me: Lexus LS460. This is my daily driver when the kids are both back from college.

Me/Kids: Toyota Tundra: This is my daily driver when the kids are at school...so most of the time. I have had her since new (2006) and she's got 188,xxx miles on her. Love it, and it's always a plus in my family to have a truck around to haul "stuff" and other toys.

Me/Kids/Current Toy: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: Lifted, 38's, big bumpers, etc. This is the toy. The roof and doors are off the thing about 6 months per year, and it's a blast to tool around in. Terrible gas mileage, but drive it very low miles per year and it's a toy. At some point this Toy will probably be converted into a Porsche or Corvette, still TBD.

My advice to you....

I would probably pass on the electric vehicle, so that you can just have a "normal" daily driver in the winter and not worry about charging. Personally, I would tell you get a used Toyota truck (Tundra or Tacoma). Seats 5, can go 4wd if you want, and the practicality of having a truck around comes in real handy. They are also very reliable. Many who swear to hate trucks tend to change their tune once they have had one for a bit. If you are dead set against a truck, then I would get a used Accord or Camry for many of the same reasons...seats 5, very reliable.

Good luck.