Tick Prevention for Dogs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TRC

Tick Prevention for Dogs

Post by TRC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Lately I've been taking my beloved Standard Poodle for a 30 minute daily walk in the woods. It's the only place I can let him off leash (outside of our fenced in yard) where he runs to his heart's delight. It's the highlight of his day! Sadly here in Mass, the ticks are still out in force. We're pulling at least 5-6 off of him after each walk. Luckily they're not attached, because my wife is the tick whisperer and finds them like it's her job. We use the Sorresto collar, but that doesn't seem to prevent them from attaching to his hair.

Wondering if any one has any suggestions of sprays (ideally something non-toxic) that I can apply to him before a walk or other home remedies to keep the ticks at bay?

Thanks,
TRC

mrc

Re: Tick Prevention for Dogs

Post by mrc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 pm

We use Frontline Plus for fleas and tick. Lyme (deer) ticks are tiny. Buy online, not from your vet, where the markup is quite high. Assume you're using a heartworm preventative too, like Heartgard or Sentinel (again, we get a paper Rx from the vet and order online).
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Permethrin is probably one of the few chemicals that might be used. Humans put it on their clothes. I've done some studies and it really works to mess up the nervous system of insects which then die. I don't have personal experience with ticks nor with using permethrin on dogs.

What does your vet tell you?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:45 pm

TRC wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 pm
Lately I've been taking my beloved Standard Poodle for a 30 minute daily walk in the woods. It's the only place I can let him off leash (outside of our fenced in yard) where he runs to his heart's delight. It's the highlight of his day! Sadly here in Mass, the ticks are still out in force. We're pulling at least 5-6 off of him after each walk. Luckily they're not attached, because my wife is the tick whisperer and finds them like it's her job. We use the Sorresto collar, but that doesn't seem to prevent them from attaching to his hair.

Wondering if any one has any suggestions of sprays (ideally something non-toxic) that I can apply to him before a walk or other home remedies to keep the ticks at bay?

Thanks,
TRC
We use seresto. Long term protection, water proof. Although now that winter is coming you might want to wait till spring and use something else in the mean time.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Nexgard chews.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:47 pm

We’ve had very good luck with these. Our dogs used to pick up a lot of ticks through the year, but since we started using these we have seen none.

https://www.1800petmeds.com/Preventic+A ... d3306.html
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:48 pm

You may want to read this: https://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/keep ... dog-safely The Bio Spot does make a spray for dogs. And if you have cats, you'll need to be very careful what you use, since many dog products are toxic to cats and your cat could lick it off your dog.

mainebeach

Post by mainebeach » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Veterinarian here. I use Nexgard for my own dogs but given the time of year try to stay out of hi risk areas. MA must be bad as my daughter just reported severe problems with her horse in spite of regular tx-she is in RI. The seresto collar is also quite good. Be extremely careful for your safety as well. Beyond lyme dz there are a lot of severe tick diseases such as Rocky mountain and ehrlichia. These can be fatal situations. A friend from an ICU in Delaware had some patients that went into organ failure-I believe the cause was ehrliciha.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:29 am

What about Trifexis for fleas, ticks and heartworm?
Frugality, indexing, time.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:30 am

longleaf wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:29 am
What about Trifexis for fleas, ticks and heartworm?
We give our dog Trifexis. A simple google search indicates Trifexis is not for ticks. Our dog has had a few ticks attached over the years which we remove with tweezers. I suppose if we didn't remove the ticks then they would die anyways.

I think the OP doesn't want ticks to be crawling around in the fur of the dog. I think in order for that to happen, the fur has to be treated. But if one treats the fur and the dog licks its fur ....
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

brandy

Post by brandy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 am

FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5 ... -your-dog/
1. Flea and Tick Control
On the microscopic level, diatomaceous earth resembles bits of broken glass. Though food-grade DE is harmless to humans and animals, those itty-bitty glass-like fragments kill insects like fleas, ticks, lice and mites (and their larvae) by piercing their protective structures, which causes them to dehydrate and die.

Apply the DE lightly on your pet’s coat, as well as on bedding and carpeting. It can take three days for it to do its work, so leave it in any carpeting for at least that long before vacuuming.

Join a friend and buy it by 50 pound bag at the local large animal (horse) feed store. Years ago I got a bag for about $25. (Pet store prices are/were a lot higher.) They poured 1/2 into a second bag for me. I also use it around the base of my house against termites.
Be sure you get FOOD GRADE.