Engineering school

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VINNY

Engineering school

Post by VINNY » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Any recommendations on a good engineering school for electrical engineering in Illinois or the Midwest. Thanks

JohnFiscal

Re: Engineering school

Post by JohnFiscal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:29 pm

University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Illinois - Urbana
Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
Northwestern University

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Purdue or Michigan.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 pm

This topic has been moved to the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

I would agree that UIUC, Northwestern, and Michigan are solid schools for EECS. Especially UIUC. Is this for undergraduate or graduate school? In the latter case research areas may matter a great deal more and limit your best options.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Purdue, University of Minnesota, Michigan Tech, Iowa State University, Northwestern, Notre Dame.

Honestly almost every Big Ten state school will have a good engineering program, including electrical engineering.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 pm

My friend who's a Rose-Hulman graduate would recommend Rose-Hulman.

ThrustVectoring

Post by ThrustVectoring » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is an absolutely fantastic school. The biggest downsides are expenses and a heavy workload, but you'll get a best-in-class education there. Oh, also, it's an engineering-only school and has the gender ratio you'd expect (roughly 3 men for every woman), so if you're looking to date women in your class cohort you're going to have a rough time.
Last edited by ThrustVectoring on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current portfolio: 60% VTI / 40% VXUS

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Hidden gem slightly outside your geo zone, Clarkson University - Potsdam, NY.

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:47 pm

CWRU in Cleveland, OH.

rocketfast

Post by rocketfast » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:03 pm

When you buy real-estate, you hear people say it is all about "location-location-location". When it comes to engineering schools, unless they are in top 10, Iocation makes a super huge difference with your job prospects. For e.g., computer science in unranked San Jose State Univeristy is a LOT better for job prospects than almost any school outside top 10. You are almost guaranteed to get internships every year of school which pay well and expand your horizon.

If you are doing electrical engineering and know what kind you want to specialize in, it is better to go to a school that is in a city with lot of jobs in that area. For e.g., I did electrical engineering at USC with specialization in computer networks. Very good curriculum and I learnt a lot. But, jobs were mostly in SF bay area or North Carolina Research triangle park. Internships were harder to get than for those in SF bay area or North Carolina.
Last edited by rocketfast on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:08 pm

rocketfast wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:03 pm
When you buy real-estate, you hear people say it is all about "location-location-location". When it comes to engineering schools, unless they are in top 10, Iocation makes a super huge difference with your job prospects. For e.g., computer science in unranked San Jose State Univeristy is a LOT better for job prospects than almost any school outside top 10. You are almost guaranteed to get internships every year of school which pay well and expand your horizon.
Clubs are also important and often feed candidates into the top internships. As an engineer who does recruiting I can tell you clubs/internships is all I focus on evaluating.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:10 pm

rocketfast wrote:
Bingo. Go to school in a location conducive to whatever industry you think you want to work in. Prestige matters less than sheer proximity to the type of job you would be happy in.

I learned this the hard way.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:11 pm

VINNY wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 pm
Any recommendations on a good engineering school for electrical engineering in Illinois or the Midwest. Thanks
For engineering, unless you get a big scholarship, in-state is usually the way to go.

Most states have a least one good engineering school, at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of going out-of-state.

University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign is the best one in Illinois.
The J stands for Jay

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 pm

MSOE
UW-Madison
UW-Platteville
UW-Milwaukee

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:22 pm

South Dakota State University - for embedded chips and systems.

Which might bring a different dimension to your search. Many student change majors, so also consider what other aspects your child needs.

GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I agree with the earlier comments on proximity matters. I had to struggle for the first few opportunities I received. My school was barely accredited, but that's OK by me. I took a look at who I was coming out of high school and knew that if I went to a big school in a big city that I might get weeded out in the first year or two. As they say, former engineering majors make great business majors. Anyway, a smaller school with smaller class sizes and a strong cohort made the difference in me being successful. BTW, if you're looking a bit further west, there are several regionally respected schools in Colorado.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:04 pm

MildlyEccentric wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:47 pm
CWRU in Cleveland, OH.
An excellent choice, also known as Case Western Reserve University.

jr6857

Post by jr6857 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Kettering U. Used to be called General Motors Institute. 100% co-op so kids graduate with great work experience. Located in Flint, MI which is an ugly place but the combination of theory and real world experience has always impressed me when hiring.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 pm

I work and studied in the Northeast (EE).

U-Michigan is one of our go-to centers for recruiting engineers, and probably has the most cache in our local market.

That said, there are a lot of good choices out there, and people from the Midwest may have a better perspective on the market overall.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:42 pm

ThrustVectoring wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:39 pm
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is an absolutely fantastic school. The biggest downsides are expenses and a heavy workload, but you'll get a best-in-class education there. Oh, also, it's an engineering-only school and has the gender ratio you'd expect (roughly 3 men for every woman), so if you're looking to date women in your class cohort you're going to have a rough time.
That's better than when I was looking at Engineering only schools. It was 50 to 1 then.
I went into Engineering to a state Univ. instead, roughly 50/50. Engineering classes were still 50:1 , but
in an English class, it looked like there were women everywhere by comparison.

The Co-Ed dorms had the best grades and were the best kept up.
Having the opposite sex around caused both the young men and women put their best foot forward.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

rocketfast wrote:

If you are doing electrical engineering and know what kind you want to specialize in, it is better to go to a school that is in a city with lot of jobs in that area. For e.g., I did electrical engineering at USC with specialization in computer networks. Very good curriculum and I learnt a lot. But, jobs were mostly in SF bay area or North Carolina Research triangle park. Internships were harder to get than for those in SF bay area or North Carolina.
IMO, this is the only realistic post here.

The remaining comes down to preference. Any Big Ten school would be fine, but try to get a grasp for how they can assist with internships, etc. My two cents is that once you get your foot in the door as an engineer, then your knowledge, competency, communication and personality move you forward in your career. I also would look at tuition to maximize your ROI. Some are considerably more expensive than others and wouldn't necessarily give you an advantage.

What will catapult your career is understanding that engineering is a sub-set requirement for a successful business and engineers don't rule the world. (That is a very unfortunate thing to come to the realization to :) )The understanding of how to manage up, get visibility, lead and speak business is the core.

It has little to do with the name of the school on your degree.

Either way - I think engineering is a terrific degree overall given what it offers upon completion, as it is respected overall regardless if you go in to engineering or something else.

My two cents and experience.
Last edited by LawEgr1 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

muddgirl

Post by muddgirl » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm

I am an engineer (ME) although I went to school on the west coast. I am assuming this is for undergraduate degrees. I would look for a school with a strong liberal arts requirement. I meet many engineers in my job who struggle to craft well-written documentation. There isn't a lot of room for argumentative writing in undergraduate tech classes; much easier to find opportunities to practice this craft in undergraduate humanities courses. Very quickly in my career I reached a point where a significant minority of my job was convincing someone (my boss or a client) to give me money to work on what I wanted to work on. Another factor to look at is undergraduate opportunities for research, co-ops, or internships. This travels better than name recognition which IME can be a benefit in the area near a school and decreases in benefit the further you get away.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 pm

undergrad at U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

I haven't been back since the early 1990s, so a lot can change.
If you are interviewing, it is a major pain because you have to connect through either Chicago O'Hare or St. Louis.

Huge classes. You can get lost.

It was one of the first 5 universities that IBM donated the first PCs.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:05 pm

When I was helping my son pick which college to go to one thing that I heard that really stuck with me was that I read;

"Picking a college is not about picking the best college, it is about picking the college that is the best fit for your kid."

There are all sorts of non academic factors like big college, small college, urban, small town, rural, gender and cultural mix, active fraternities and sororities, etc. that will be important to how well the student fits in so the best fit might not be would be rated as the "best" college.
VINNY wrote:
I have not seen Georgia Tech mentioned and it would be a reasonable distance from Illinois. Out of state tuition would be pretty high. If you have a good instate university I don't know that it would be worth the extra cost for an undergraduate degree.

suewolf

Post by suewolf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Study after study shows that the school you go to matters much less than the effort you put into the school. Most undergrad engineering schools are the same. The difference might be in the other kids in the program and lab equipment. But if your kid is self motivated, it really doesn't matter. Encourage taking added classes in business and/or liberal arts. Encourage participation in a band (lots of Big 10 marching bands have lots of engineering students). Encourage participation in any club or activity. These are the types of experiences that will help much more than the very best engineering school. Don't be swayed by ratings (the size of the library, the average SAT score of new students, etc....really irrelevant criteria).

As has been mentioned here - look for cost, proximity and specialities offerred (Transmission / distribution vs computer engineering for example).

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:23 pm

For engineering, I believe any State U is a fine choice for an in state student. I'm a Big Ten grad in ChE. Though it's fun to rip on other B10 schools... the truth is I'd hire a grad from any of them for engineering.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Marquette has excellent engineering programs, small class sizes, scholarships that will make it the same or cheaper than in state tuition if you have good stats.

Joining a solar car team is a good way to get the attention of employers

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't deny that some of these schools are ok but my company (Bay Area, chip design) would throw in the trash resumes coming from most of them. Name IS important.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm

I graduated in engineering and worked in IT for my entire career. This list seems about right to me. But as others have said, at the undergraduate level there are many good choices. This is only the top 12 but you can sign up (at a cost) to see the entire list.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... nications

I'm a big fan of the bigger schools with lots of degree options, both within the engineering school and in other degree programs. Many kids change their minds once they're in college and see what they've gotten themselves into and what other options are available.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm

ThrustVectoring wrote:
US News and World report as best undergraduate engineering program https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... ng-overall

Also see: https://www.commonapp.org/school/rose-h ... technology.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Clamshell

Post by Clamshell » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:56 pm

In-state Big Ten
Graduate without as much debt.

Check out resources of Placement office. In 1969 as an Indiana kid at Purdue In engineering I landed an internship in Massachusetts that launched my career. Super organized Placement center. Forty nine years ago!
Good luck.

bstevlin

Post by bstevlin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 pm
MSOE
UW-Madison
UW-Platteville
UW-Milwaukee
I agree. UW Platteville out of state room, board and tuition is <$24000. When I was working I hired C+ gear heads from MSOE. They were as they say shovel ready to take on projects start to finish. They worked well with tradesmen such as electricians, millwrights, fitters, mechanics, toolmakers and machinists.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:24 pm

ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

When I went there it was all men, so the odds were even worse! :D

My undergraduate degree was from Rose-Hulman (38 years ago). I grew up in Colorado, and I'm not sure exactly what drew me to go to school in far away Indiana. However, I have to say it was a very good choice. I think I got a top notch education there. I can only go off of reputation, but I would assume it is still top notch. I couldn't convince my daughters to go to Indiana to school (they both went to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo - another very good school), but I'm sure if they would have they would have gotten a great education.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:19 pm

investingdad wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:23 pm
For engineering, I believe any State U is a fine choice for an in state student. I'm a Big Ten grad in ChE. Though it's fun to rip on other B10 schools... the truth is I'd hire a grad from any of them for engineering.
This.

Thermodynamics is Thermodynamics. It's taught the same way at all state schools.

But yes, internships matter... but most state schools are good at those too.
The J stands for Jay

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:51 pm
I don't deny that some of these schools are ok but my company (Bay Area, chip design) would throw in the trash resumes coming from most of them. Name IS important.
That's unfortunate. Engineering was the one of the last places where your skills and abilities mattered more than the name of the school.

Maybe that's changing.
The J stands for Jay

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:24 pm
ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

My undergraduate degree was from Rose-Hulman (38 years ago). I grew up in Colorado, and I'm not sure exactly what drew me to go to school in far away Indiana. However, I have to say it was a very good choice. I think I got a top notch education there. I can only go off of reputation, but I would assume it is still top notch. I couldn't convince my daughters to go to Indiana to school (they both went to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo - another very good school), but I'm sure if they would have they would have gotten a great education.

Rose Hulman is ranked the top engineering school in the country for schools that don’t have a masters program.

It’s an amazing school.

learningstill

Post by learningstill » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:57 am

I am an electrical engineer who has worked for a number of chip companies in Colorado over the years. This area tends to draw a lot of engineers out of the midwest. Some of the brightest that I have had a chance to work with come from many of the different schools that have shown up in this thread including:

University of Wisconsin
Purdue University
University of Illinois
University of Cincinnati
Case Western Reserve University
Iowa State University
Ohio State University
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
Penn State University (technically east)

I'm sure there are many others but there is a natural tendency to return to recruit in the places where there has been success in the past. I think that the key is to make sure it is a solid program, a good fit for the student and then he/she needs to work very hard to get everything they can out of their time in school. Engineering success after school is typically based on a solid educational background, willingness to keep learning, ability to work well with others and a very strong work ethic.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:23 pm
Horsefly wrote:
ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

Rose Hulman is ranked the top engineering school in the country for schools that don’t have a masters program.

It’s an amazing school.
I assume you meant doctorate program, since Rose has a Master program.

I went to Rose as an undergrad then UIUC for grad school a few years later fulltime, and past the initial job placement prowess of Rose, I have found in the last twenty years that the B10 degree name has held more weight. Of course could be the Master's, but I still find people in the midwest who do not know what Rose is about. While I would hope technical hiring managers would, there could be a case where your progression could be impacted. Normally your job experience starts to outweigh school in a crazy short time.

When I was contemplating grad school i had, Rose, UIUC, Michigan, and Purdue on my list. In state major school would be my first choice looking back.

multiham

Post by multiham » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 am

As a hiring manager (not engineering) for a mega-corp, college name DOES matter for your first job. Once you have full time experience (not internships, co-op's), the significance of your school name decreases. Once you have about 5 years of relevant experience, it really doesn't matter unless you are up against candidates who match your experience and interview just as well.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:48 am

VINNY....If you decide to expand the geography, then I have a recommendation for you: Drexel University.

My eldest went to Drexel and I have to say: it was excellent. He had a combined BS/MS 5-year program in Biomedical engineering, and the real important thing here is that he had three (yes 3) paid co-ops with different companies in his field. It was practical work experience that was invaluable. In his last semester, he was already employed in a full-time position (he is still with this employer and doing quite well). He also had a semester abroad (Costa Rica) at an unbelievably reasonable price.

I highly recommend Drexel. The staff were responsive to issues that cropped up, and actually worked with us to find a solution that benefited our son. I will also note that if your child has a good academic record, scholarships are available (my son basically got a 2/3rds ride on scholarships).
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 am

Silverado wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Horsefly wrote:
ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

It’s an amazing school.

I went to Rose as an undergrad then UIUC for grad school a few years later fulltime, and past the initial job placement prowess of Rose, I have found in the last twenty years that the B10 degree name has held more weight. Of course could be the Master's, but I still find people in the midwest who do not know what Rose is about. While I would hope technical hiring managers would, there could be a case where your progression could be impacted. Normally your job experience starts to outweigh school in a crazy short time.

When I was contemplating grad school i had, Rose, UIUC, Michigan, and Purdue on my list. In state major school would be my first choice looking back.
Yes, I meant doctorate. Thanks for the catch.

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:23 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 am
Silverado wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Horsefly wrote:
ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

It’s an amazing school.

Yes, I meant doctorate. Thanks for the catch.
I work for a Bay Area firm and hire engineers. I had never heard of Rose before this year and I am from an adjacent state in the Midwest. My estimation of it has risen considerably since learning about it, but I hope the school will take my experience as an indication that they need to elevate their profile.

tindel

Post by tindel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:09 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 pm
Starfish wrote:
That's unfortunate. Engineering was the one of the last places where your skills and abilities mattered more than the name of the school.

Maybe that's changing.
Without question that's changing! 12 years ago when I started in aerospace in the Colorado area, The big megacorp I worked for hired from three main state schools, University of Colorado, Purdue, and University of Texas. They also hired several from Colorado School of Mines. Your chances of getting a job there out of college went down significantly if you weren't from one of those schools. You also weren't getting a job with anything less than a 3.0 GPA. They preferred 3.6-4.0.

Something that has changed since I started my career is that a MS is the new BS. In both aerospace and ic design (the industries I've worked in), you'll be lucky to walk in the front door without an MS. Also realize that most undergrad programs have the same classes. It's not until your senior year and your graduate level classes when you really start to specialize in something. You can do your undergrad pretty much anywhere, and then chose to do your graduate work at a school that is known for getting their students hired into the specialty and industry you're interested in.

My suggestion is this: Decide on a field you think is interesting. Perhaps RF, Power, IC design, Embedded, Controls, etc, etc. Then choose an industry. Contact a few companies in that industry and find out what schools are their top three preferred schools for your area of interest. Go to one of those schools. If you're interested in pursuing a masters, I'd perhaps do this after going to a local state school for your undergrad to save some money* and refine where your interests lie. Some companies will hire a BS and pay for the MS - that's a good strategy too.

What you'll probably also find is that each company location will have their preferred schools. Example: Boeing in Seattle may prefer Washington state schools while Boeing in Florida may prefer different schools near Florida.

Anyway, good luck. EE is an incredibly interesting, demanding, diverse, and rewarding career.

*I'd also suggest going to a community college for your lower level classes (Calculus, history, DiffEQ, English, Tech writing, etc.). You will save gobs of $ living at home and taking boring classes that are the prereq's of the interesting classes you'll take at university. DO NOT list your community college on your resume when you go to get a job.

bada bing

Post by bada bing » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:31 am

Horsefly wrote:
ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

First name Cliff ? 3rd floor BSB for freshman year ?

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:01 pm

VINNY wrote:
Before you pick, read the relevant chapter from Malcom Gladwell's book in "David and Goliath" (gist @ https://www.businessinsider.com/malcolm ... th-2013-10). The TLDR is you are not only better off financially by choosing a less flashy, less expensive (but still very solid) institution, but you may actually be more successful in your chosen career by doing so. I won't try to summarize anymore than this, as I simply won't be able to do justice to Malcom's theory.

I have suspected for sometime that I have a large advantage over most (but not all) of my counterparts who went to far better schools, but never fully appreciated it until reading Malcom's book (who also has a fantastic podcast btw called "Revisionist History" ... he's just a master at story telling).

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:05 pm

bada bing wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:31 am
Horsefly wrote:
ThrustVectoring wrote:
+1

First name Cliff ? 3rd floor BSB for freshman year ?
Ha! Nope. Steve. 3rd floor Speed Hall.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:17 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 pm
Starfish wrote:

Maybe that's changing.

The issue with my company, bay area generally is that people like me (foreigners, 50-80% of hiring managers) know absolutely nothing about schools without PhD degrees. I friend of mine mentioned the other day Harvey Mudd (supposedly one of the top undergrad engineering programs). I told him he is crazy to send his kid to a school I have to search on Google. In EE people like me are the norm, not the exception. His plan is to send him for Masters to Stanford etc otherwise the kid will have some majors issues accessing the wider job market.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:06 pm

VINNY wrote:
Can I throw in U Washington in Seattle?

It was very good in computer science 3 decades ago.

It does not meet your geographical criterion *but* it would be a fabulous place to be a student I think. If an urban university suits.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:52 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:19 pm
investingdad wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:23 pm
This.

Thermodynamics is Thermodynamics. It's taught the same way at all state schools.

But yes, internships matter... but most state schools are good at those too.

I agree any big ten is good.

Thermo is Thermo.

BUT, I think college difficulty is strongly regulated by the level of your peers/classmates. If you're top 5% you can coast and get A's. If you're top 30-40% you have to work for your A.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:06 pm
VINNY wrote:
Can I throw in U Washington in Seattle?

It was very good in computer science 3 decades ago.

It does not meet your geographical criterion *but* it would be a fabulous place to be a student I think. If an urban university suits.
Did Seattle get teleported to the Midwest?