Multiple newspaper and magazine subscriptions - how much do you pay to stay informed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
letsgobobby

Multiple newspaper and magazine subscriptions - how much do you pay to stay informed?

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:03 pm

For a while we were subscribing to the NY Times online, WSJ print and online, our large city newspaper online, and our local newspaper online and print. It was coming out to nearly $1000 per year so we cut back on two, but miss the in depth news. We'd even like to add some papers of National or international renown, such as the Financial Times, but the cost is daunting when all added together.

For magazines, Texture offers a cost affordable way to read many magazines. Has anyone found a similar application for newspapers?

What other ways have you found to read multiple newspapers affordably?

Some universities offer Lexis access to alumni, but that doesn't seem to function like a newspaper per se, more like a searchable database of articles.

simple man

Re: Multiple newspaper and magazine subscriptions - how much do you pay to stay informed?

Post by simple man » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:55 pm

The only news I pay for is WSJ Online. Best, overall quality news without a strong slant. I like Drudge since it has relevant articles from all over the world and I think it is one of the top 3 news sites in the world. I end up getting a lot of US news from British sources linked through Drudge. Much more factual and informative than the typical US sources.

I dont read the NYT or Washington Post because (IMHO) there is much more opinion than news. BUT, if WAPO is your thing, you can get it free if you have a student email - meaning a .edu address. I was able to get one from my former college which provides an alumni .edu address for free. So you can get one of those and sign up to the Post. BUT, IMHO more one sided opinion than news.

I would also point out the benefit of getting magazines from Amazon. They have a magazine subscription service which is great. Why? Because super easy to order from your Amazon account, cheap prices AND you can TURN OFF the autorenew. Very hard to do that if you go through traditional sources.

Good luck!

Iowa David

Re: Multiple newspaper and magazine subscriptions - how much do you pay to stay informed?

Post by Iowa David » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 pm

simple man wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:55 pm
The only news I pay for is WSJ Online. Best, overall quality news without a strong slant.
+1 Agreement on this.
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:08 pm

OP,

My local library provides local electronic subscription/access to most magazines. For anything else not on the e-subscription, it has a physical copy. So, I do not need to subscribe to any of those magazines.

KlangFool

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 pm

I avoid paying and try to use free sites or however many free articles per month some sites allow. As a long time subscriber until fairly recently to multiple print newspapers as well as many magazines, I just decided there are enough good free sources. We have so many monthly (mostly) fees nowadays (internet, cell phone, vpn, Netflix, Amazon, etc.) that I have to draw the line somewhere. If I were to get just one it would be the WSJ as those are hard to find for free (and they seem to have closed the FB loophole). I don't know if it exists, but if they were to create a package subscription to a bunch of popular online publications, I might consider that.

The Chicago Tribune often has incredible deals on online subscriptions. The issue is, 1) they are limited in time and automatically renew at a higher rate 2) to cancel, you have to call and listen to their spiel and 3) I just don't need/want another monthly charge even if it is small to bother with.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 pm

I can view the online version of most newspapers (proquest) and magazines (flipster) with my library card. Or, use a chrome incognito browser instead.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:31 pm

I started going to the library more frequently, to checkout the magazines. I still get my newspaper delivered every morning, though.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 pm
I can view the online version of most newspapers (proquest) and magazines (flipster) with my library card. Or, use a chrome incognito browser instead.
Can you describe more about this?

Going to the physical library is not going to replace a daily newspaper delivery for me. Maybe when I'm retired.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:56 pm

We get the local newspaper hardcopy for about $150 a year.

We have TWO Wall Street Journal hardcopy subscriptions. Each of them runs about $200 - $250 yearly depending on what deals are available when they run out. We each like to read a current hardcopy and one of us folds/krinkles/mangles so that it's not usable by the other (Coordinating the reading of a single copy didn't work for us). Having two subscriptions is cheaper than divorce :happy

We recently started a digital subscription to the New York Times recently for $30 a year. We'll see how well that works on a digital only basis.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:58 pm

It begs the question about ‘staying informed’ and what that really means, and why. Most journalism is meant to be sensational, always has authors’ bias, and even WSJ is not immune (although better than most). And if you practice any form of staying mostly within your circle of control, there’s really very little that’s actionable for you to ‘stayed informed’ about at least on a day to day basis.

I think a lot of reading news is a bit of an addiction. Probably literally triggers dopamine, adrenaline, endorphins.

Try this first. Stop all subscriptions. Unplug from the news for a few days or a week. You may find you don’t miss it.
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide you should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 pm
fortfun wrote:

Going to the physical library is not going to replace a daily newspaper delivery for me.atbe when I'm retired.
Once you log into your local library's web page, they will have a list of databases. They will probably have Proquest (all newspapers) and Flipster (most magazines). You can simply view/read these online or with the app. You don't need to go to the physical library.

If it is not against your ethics, you can just load an incognito chrome browser to get around the limited number of news articles that your are allowed to read on NYT, Wapo, etc. After you've used up the free allotment, you just open a new incognito browser and the count starts over.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:18 pm

For the WSJ fans, (from a former editor of the WSJ op-ed page) http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/ ... -rise.html

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 pm

I only read The Wall Street Journal and it provides plenty of news.

I worked hard over the years to simplify (and continue to do so) and eliminated other magazines, books, and newspapers.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

five2one

Post by five2one » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:27 pm

I refuse to pay for basic news.

I would pay for good analysis but don't have a current need beyond what I can find without a subscription.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm

RB digital is an app my library uses. I read the economist and outside. Its included in my tax bill, ie it's "free"

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm

We subscribe to online access for NYT, Wapo, and The Guardian. I think it's particularly important these days to support good journalism. It's really the backbone of our democracy.

I'd also like to subscribe to our local papers, but as you say, the costs can rapidly add up. So far, most of the local papers allow free online access as long as you're not using an ad blocker.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:02 pm

I just started weekly subscriptions to Barron's, The Economist and New York Times, specifically to support evidence-based journalism. I chose these from a ranking of trusted news sources across various political groups: https://www.businessinsider.com/here-ar ... ca-2014-10. Weekly because I don't have the time to read daily news.

I am also looking to contribute to fact-checking institutions/efforts - if anyone has recommendations, I'd be happy to take them.

More than my pleasure of reading, I consider these subscriptions and fact-check contributions to be charity in the service of our democracy - paying other people to keep an eye on things I can't.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:22 pm

NYT & WSJ home delivery with 'free' online access. Am now paying $4/month for online access to WashPo. One of those that I meant to cancel once the free six month Amazon subscription expired, and need to now as I am not reading it. I don't find the WSJ to be unbiased, which is why I read it as a balance to my NYT. The headlines became so much more sensational after Murdoch bought it ten years ago or so.

Post by 2015 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:31 pm

I would never pay for newspaper or magazines. When I do read anything advertising driven, it's built on a foundation of skepticism. I've found no substitute for reading books, particularly books outside the fields of investing, personal finance, and macroeconomics. Reading in these areas does in fact circle back and impact thinking on investing, personal finance, and microeconomics (Like Munger/Buffet, I make no decisions based to macroeconomics).

I have been lucky enough to find people I consider to be highly intelligent who write regularly on how to think, not what to think. As a result, my decision-making has improved markedly in the past 3 or so years. I highly recommend reading the work of Tres Griffin, Shane Parrish, and Cal Newport. There others, but these three lead to those others.

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Online we pay for the NY Times and the Washington Post. We pay for print subscriptions to the Economist and a rotating smattering of other sources.

I strongly disagree with some of the others in the thread who object to paying for news services. You get what you pay for. And if you're not paying for the product, you are the product.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 am

CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:35 pm
Online we pay for the NY Times and the Washington Post. We pay for print subscriptions to the Economist and a rotating smattering of other sources.

I strongly disagree with some of the others in the thread who object to paying for news services. You get what you pay for. And if you're not paying for the product, you are the product.
I agree with this. The print advertising model was passive, perhaps with some subliminal messaging at work, but for the most part you could ignore the ads. The online advertising model is absolutely pernicious, IMO, given the tracking and data collection that is aimed at an increasingly comprehensive effort to manipulate your actions.

Journalism costs money. There is no end of free info and bad writing online, but being connected to the sources of news, actual bylines of working journalists and superior writing and editing is a privilege.

I subscribe to two national newspapers and one opinion blog, and receive the local small town paper. I also enjoy reading longform articles and have a paper subscription to the New Yorker. These all have my name and probably sell my profile, for better or worse. However, I block the ads and have elsewhere tried to minimize my presence as an online data source.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 am

Cycle wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm
RB digital is an app my library uses. I read the economist and outside. Its included in my tax bill, ie it's "free"
Wow, this is excellent. Thanks!

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:04 am

We get the WSJ and NYT online.

The actual news articles are fine. I keep an eye on the op-ed section for both, but I like seeing what’s happening on both sides of the red-team blue-team divide.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:25 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 am
Cycle wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm
Wow, this is excellent. Thanks!
Thank you for this tip. I looked at the available “in home access” digital offerings through my local library and its extensive. Off I go for a library card!

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:31 am

fortfun wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 pm
letsgobobby wrote:
fortfun wrote:

Going to the physical library is not going to replace a daily newspaper delivery for me. Maybe when I'm retired.
Once you log into your local library's web page, they will have a list of databases. They will probably have Proquest (all newspapers) and Flipster (most magazines). You can simply view/read these online or with the app. You don't need to go to the physical library.

If it is not against your ethics, you can just load an incognito chrome browser to get around the limited number of news articles that your are allowed to read on NYT, Wapo, etc. After you've used up the free allotment, you just open a new incognito browser and the count starts over.
wonderful. it took some digging but I’ve found proquest at our library, and can now read nearly anything, for free. Thank you!

With RBDigital and Proquest, why would I ever pay to subscribe to an included newspaper? Maybe I should cancel some of my remaining subscriptions!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 am

letsgobobby wrote:
fortfun wrote:

letsgobobby,

1) I work from home.

2) My local library is a short cycling distance from me.

3) I have the choice of going online to read the magazine/newspaper or go to the library to read the physical copy. This applies to book/movie/music too.

KlangFool

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:52 am

I don't pay to stay informed. If it's important news it will find its way to me.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:55 am

I would pay a good amount of money to have access to multiple well known and respected newspapers on the internet.

I’d like to calmly read the various perspectives on different event.

Does this exist.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:58 am

My main source of news is the NPR. If they mention something that I want to learn more about, I search the web.

I used to subscribe to The Economist and consider it the best print medium. However, I always wanted to read everything in The Economist and it was taking too much of my time. I used to think that I would subscribe to it again after I retire but, alas, I am now busier than ever.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:02 am

I get news and also interesting articles from the BBC free. There is enough other news free around the Internet to the degree I care about it. I am not aware of any major US "newspaper" that is without bias.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 am

I look at Associated Press News daily. It's one of the most neutral news sites out there.

TravelforFun

patrick

Post by patrick » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:09 am

Nothing. There is more than enough news out there for free.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:31 am
fortfun wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 pm
letsgobobby wrote:
fortfun wrote:

wonderful. it took some digging but I’ve found proquest at our library, and can now read nearly anything, for free. Thank you!

With RBDigital and Proquest, why would I ever pay to subscribe to an included newspaper? Maybe I should cancel some of my remaining subscriptions!
Besides $60/month for Internet, I pay for no other subscriptions :)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:40 pm

patrick wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:09 am
More is not always better, and in this case it is worse.

The problem is not to get news but to get credible news.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:42 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 am
I look at Associated Press News daily. It's one of the most neutral news sites out there.

TravelforFun
Thanks. I have checked APN out and will visit it again.

Victoria

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

I pay zero now. Every outlet has an agenda. I’ve yet to meet any that matches mine 100%.

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:56 pm

I subscribe to the Economist and use the library for things like Morningstar. I also watch PBSnewshour. I pay the rate for the Economist, I think about $200yr and donate an annual $1000 to my local PBS channel. I guess that's about what folks pay for cable, I use an arial for 4 channels of PBS instead and get Passport access for donating. Have been a lifelong user of PBS and NPR and want to pay it back in some way.
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:40 pm
patrick wrote:

Victoria
+1
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:35 pm

I subscribe to the NYT and our local daily newspaper online and to a local online-only publication that started up a few years ago. Other national publications such as the Washington Post, WSJ, LA Times, Chicago Trib, various magazines, etc., I read at the library. I like getting as many sides to a story as I have time for. I think that is the best way to stay informed...well informed.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 pm

The New York Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal come to $55.98/mo. I think the NYT crossword is another $25/year or so.
SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:58 pm
It begs the question about ‘staying informed’ and what that really means, and why.

This is a good point. Sometimes in fits of honesty I wonder whether the real reason I want to be informed is so that I can feel superior to those I regard as less informed. That said, I enjoy reading the news and other features so it's worth it to me.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:51 pm

I subscribe to NY Times online, and a nonprofit that covers local issues very well. I get The Economist through RBDigital, but I rarely have time to make much of a dent in it. I’m dyslexic, and the Economist articles can sometimes turn into word soup.

I subscribe to several others intermittently as special offers pop up, then cancel when the deal ends.

Paying for a free press is one of the ways I can support democracy. So I subscribe even when I don’t have time to read it.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:03 pm

ble"
VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:40 pm
patrick wrote:

Victoria
I have to agree with Patrick.

If one can't look at a variety of sources and drill down and separate the wheat from the chaff, one is not truly informed anyway.

Even "credible" journalists are nothing but journalists. They typically myopic, rely on tired sources and, in any event, are themselves not big thinkers. A lot of times, they aren't even that great at regurgitation.

JT

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:03 pm
Even "credible" journalists are nothing but journalists. They typically myopic, rely on tired sources and, in any event, are themselves not big thinkers. A lot of times, they aren't even that great at regurgitation.

JT
All journalists are like this?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm

We subscribe to our local paper, NYT online, Washington Post online, and The Economist.

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:11 pm

samsdad wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm
I pay zero now. Every outlet has an agenda. I’ve yet to meet any that matches mine 100%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:03 pm

CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:11 pm
samsdad wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
But what if I’m right, again?

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I read WSJ online because my company pays for it. I don't pay for anything else. I use RealClearPolitics, Pocket, and lots of blogs to find interesting things to read. When I encounter sites to WaPo that limit the number of articles I read, I open them in private browsing mode. They don't limit the number of articles when you read that way. Yeah, call me a cheap deadbeat if you want, but it works.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Halicar wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 pm
The New York Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal come to $55.98/mo. I think the NYT crossword is another $25/year or so.
SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:58 pm
It begs the question about ‘staying informed’ and what that really means, and why.

This is a good point. Sometimes in fits of honesty I wonder whether the real reason I want to be informed is so that I can feel superior to those I regard as less informed. That said, I enjoy reading the news and other features so it's worth it to me.
Thank you!! Yep, you are being extremely insightful and honest. No matter the reason for reading the writings all these many journalists, "enjoy" might at the end of the day = a dopamine, adrenaline, endorphin hit in your brain. Seriously. I don't say this as a bad thing. I used to subscribe to WSJ, NYT, The Economist, etc. Gradually had to be honest with myself. How am I benefiting myself, my family, my community, society in general by spending the time involved with reading these multiple individual journalists' stories...really, to what end? I had to question, what does "staying informed" really mean for most people when one thinks of a circle of control and even a circle of influence, and what impactful action one really takes. Honestly. Arguing with your friends from a super-informed position? Please. (Google T. Jefferson's letter to his grandson re arguing.) Writing your Congressman/woman? How's that working out? Voting? Yes definitely, one should vote from an informed position, but I would reason this doesn't require the daily reading of the printed news. In fact, informed positions result from study of multiple sources including history and opposing views, but certainly the serious important foundational material doesn't change every day with the printed news.

I understand the addiction to daily news. Just one voice here, I know, in the minority. I'm just a (not-a-stupid-uninformed) voice suggesting it is worth a little distance on a daily or maybe even weekly basis.
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide you should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:11 pm

I have not read through all of this. But if you have Bogleheads, then you have Google. Why would anyone ever pay for news and information in the first place when you have google and all of the internet?? What were you paying for that you could not get for free??

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:17 pm

I pay exactly ZERO. I stopped my home delivery of The Washington Post ten years ago, and I have not paid for news since then. I get it for free from television, radio, and the internet. I am unable to access the websites of The Washington Post, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal, but the daily emails from the Post and the Times (which are free) and the alerts from their apps (along with the CNN app and my local NBC4DC app) keep me well-informed until the NBC Nightly News airs.