Thoughts on the New Macbook Air?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

Thoughts on the New Macbook Air?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:04 am

I've been holding off on replacing my 2010 (that's not a typo) Macbook Pro for a lonnnnng time. Just couldn't pull the trigger on a new computer.

But, I'm tempted by the new Macbook Air. My only hesitation (at this point) is the microprocessor. According to trustedreviews.com:
A dual-core 8th gen Intel Core i5 CPU with a base clock speed of 1.6GHz and boost speed of 3.6GHz runs the show, promising speeds that will delight both web browsers and creatives.
I'm not a techie - I was (sorta) 25 years ago, but now I'm just a consumer. So, I have no idea where these CPUs fall on the power-continuum, and for what kinds of applications they may fall short. I assume they must fall short at some point, or this new computer will cannibalize sales of the higher-end Macbook Pros.

Any advice on this issue (or other observations on the pros/cons of this computer) would be appreciated.

Uniballer

Re: Thoughts on the New Macbook Air?

Post by Uniballer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:14 am

Go to the Apple Store and play with it. If you don't think it is faster than any computer you have owned to date then don't buy it.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 am

An Apple certified Tech/Consultant that I use occasionally for complex issues suggested to me that the MacBook Pro may be better way to go than the new Air. For about the same dollars (for my specific needs), and 1/4 pound more weight, you get better/faster processors, more memory, more ports and more storage. Having said that the Air is a fine choice if you don't need the additional speed, memory and ports. I have not made a final decision yet though, still mulling.

Dave

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:04 am
I've been holding off on replacing my 2010 (that's not a typo) Macbook Pro for a lonnnnng time. Just couldn't pull the trigger on a new computer.

But, I'm tempted by the new Macbook Air. My only hesitation (at this point) is the microprocessor. According to trustedreviews.com:
A dual-core 8th gen Intel Core i5 CPU with a base clock speed of 1.6GHz and boost speed of 3.6GHz runs the show, promising speeds that will delight both web browsers and creatives.
I'm not a techie - I was (sorta) 25 years ago, but now I'm just a consumer. So, I have no idea where these CPUs fall on the power-continuum, and for what kinds of applications they may fall short. I assume they must fall short at some point, or this new computer will cannibalize sales of the higher-end Macbook Pros.

Any advice on this issue (or other observations on the pros/cons of this computer) would be appreciated.
Unless you're a hardcore gamer, doing home video rendering or other compute intensive tasks, the base i5 CPU is plenty for everyday needs of most people (web, email, video streaming from Netflix, etc).
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

mxs

Post by mxs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 am

I would have no hesitation with that processor. Intel has been the top dog for processors for a while, and AMD has just recently countered with processors that can compete with them.

i3 is budget, i5 is mainstream, i7 is high end
Last edited by mxs on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 am

I have to chuckle that any business or home user has to even worry about CPU speeds nowadays. I/O and disk access are the rate-limiting steps, aren't they?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 am

I will make a sweeping generalization there that for a new computer from just about anybody (Apple, Lenovo, Dell, whatever) raw CPU speed is the least interesting part of the hardware specs, unless you are doing something highly unusual for the average user. You will have enough CPU speed.

Much more interesting is the amount of RAM, is the storage SSD or HDD, etc. Also, what ports does the device have. Although I am fan of Apple devices, their recent trend toward removing many useful ports I find quite vexing. I like having multiple USB ports and an SD slot on my older Macbook Air.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 am

It's nice they've scrapped the atrocious touch bar (as a Vim user, the touch escape key is infuriating and I have no desire to retrain my hands) but as long as they stick to the butterfly keyboard with nanometer-thick keys, I'm never buying another Apple laptop.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:41 am

There's a reason why you've never felt a compelling need to upgrade. When Intel first released the Core series CPUs at the beginning of this decade, they vastly outperformed their AMD competition. There was little incentive for Intel to dramatically increase their performance every year until AMD caught 2 years ago with Ryzen. This prompted Intel to up their game starting with the 8th Gen Core processors.

Unfortunately, this new MacBook CPU is not optimized for performance but efficiency instead. While a 9 year gap should see signifcant speed improvements on what you currently own. I see technology moving to multi-core processing meaning I'd want to buy a quad core processor at least especially if I intend to keep the computer a decade. This MacBook Air still uses DDR3 ram when DDR4 has been around for 2 years.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:55 am

If you like the form factor and the price, the CPU spec is unlikely to make any difference to you. The differences between this new Air and the MacBook Pro without touchbar are very small. The Air is slightly lighter with slightly better battery life. The Pro is slightly more powerful. Either is a fine choice.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 am

Except for some special uses (video editing, gaming, virtual machines) most any computer is more powerful than the average use needs. And if you are a serious gamer you'd be using Windows anyhow.

Personally I don't need a computer for travel so I'd rather have the huge screen of a 27" iMac and when I travel use my iPad/phone for entertainment. I also have a dual bootable windows 10/Linux system but that is mostly due to staying current since I work in the tech world.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:08 am

rich126 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 am
Except for some special uses (video editing, gaming, virtual machines) most any computer is more powerful than the average use needs. And if you are a serious gamer you'd be using Windows anyhow.

Personally I don't need a computer for travel so I'd rather have the huge screen of a 27" iMac and when I travel use my iPad/phone for entertainment. I also have a dual bootable windows 10/Linux system but that is mostly due to staying current since I work in the tech world.
I went to a 27" iMac last year. I used to build my own Windows PCs and play quite a lot of games, but then I just got too old for that crap.
Dual booting iOS/Windows has been mostly trouble-free. There are things I miss about Windows, but overall it has been an (expensive) upgrade.

Leif

Post by Leif » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 am

I don't like their dropping of ports. I use the USB port for backups. I don't like they got rid of the magnetic power plug. That saved my bacon on a number of occasions. I know they have converter plugs, but that seems like something that will probably get lost.

The new processor is slower in GHz, but it is a later generation. Probably saves power which allows them to shrink the case and reduce the battery size (from 54 Watt hour down to 50.3). I want a larger battery, not smaller. I could care less how thin is the case. I'm also no fan of the new touch bar, so I was glad to see that was not included.

Retina screen is probably nice. I have that on my Pro. However, side-by-side it is difficult to see much difference. Not a big deal for me.

I'm hoping I can get 8 years of service out of my MacBook Pro 2014 like you did on your 2010. Perhaps longer with SSD instead of a magnetic based drive.

I think I would buy the older original model, still being sold for $1,000.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:24 am

Calygos wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 am
It's nice they've scrapped the atrocious touch bar (as a Vim user, the touch escape key is infuriating and I have no desire to retrain my hands) but as long as they stick to the butterfly keyboard with nanometer-thick keys, I'm never buying another Apple laptop.
Nope that is incorrect. Its still there in new MBP which tells me they have it in their long term plan. I hate it also, just for the record.

Leif

Post by Leif » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 am
I have to chuckle that any business or home user has to even worry about CPU speeds nowadays. I/O and disk access are the rate-limiting steps, aren't they?
Depends on the application.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

The difference between MBP and MBA is literally $100. I would swing extra money and buy highest configuration I can afford at the time of purchase. Or wait if I can't swing it, until I have enough.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:30 am

I replaced my 2009 MacBookPro with a Chromebook ($749 Pixelbook on sale) and was a great choice. Should be another sale for Black Friday.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

jschmitz28

Post by jschmitz28 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 am

I bought a new MacBook Air in 2011 (as a computer science major in college), and since it will works great I won’t be replacing it with the 2018 version. But I will likely be buying the 2018 air (base model) to replace my fiancée’s 2009 MacBook Pro which is on its last legs. Everything about the new Air looks pretty solid to me, and specwise is actually almost identical to the base model of the MacBook Pro (which is also very light weight now).

In my opinion, the biggest factor that impacts both overall speed and longevity of a computer is having a solid state hard drive over a mechanical drive. All of the 2018 MacBook variants are using SSDs now, and I think all are great options (although I don’t see the point of the “MacBook” line with the latest Air release). I wouldn’t be concerned about the differences in processor performance unless you have niche needs.

canderson

Post by canderson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:35 am

Before you buy go type on the keyboard.

These new butterfly keyboards from Apple are borderline unusable and it infuriates me.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:38 am

Contrarian opinion: the best apple notebook for most people right now is the old macbook air. $999. And more than powerful enough for most people. Apple likes to hype the superiority of the new screens and touts the new specs as being meaninful for everyone but in reality it's only power users that will notice a difference. I own a new macbook pro, I still miss my old air with it's legacy ports. The new screen doesn't change things much for most people. The old macbook air was the best notebook Apple ever made.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am

I have a Macbook Air for work and an Macbook Pro for personal use. The Retina Display alone is worth it to me on the pro. Keyboard feel is better too.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:38 am
Contrarian opinion: the best apple notebook for most people right now is the old macbook air. $999. And more than powerful enough for most people. Apple likes to hype the superiority of the new screens and touts the new specs as being meaninful for everyone but in reality it's only power users that will notice a difference. I own a new macbook pro, I still miss my old air with it's legacy ports. The new screen doesn't change things much for most people. The old macbook air was the best notebook Apple ever made.
The big problem is the display - the old Macbook Air has a truly atrocious 1440x900 panel. I made the mistake of having one for a work machine for a while - never again. Even if you're just messing with text, a true FHD panel is the bare minimum in 2018.

As for the new Air vs Pro - for the extra 200 bucks I'd rather have the non-touchbar Pro. The higher wattage CPU and higher powered iGPU means you'll get quite a bit longer of a usable life out of the machine.

Mind you, I replaced my 2011 MBP (which went to the kid) with a Thinkpad.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:24 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
The old Air's physical design was and remains superb, but the difference in display quality is not hype. All the Macbook Airs before this new model had TN displays. The IPS screens in other Macbooks (and better PCs - generally $600 and up) are vastly better in contrast, deep blacks, and viewing angles, even leaving aside the resolution. The difference is very plainly visible even to someone who's never heard of TN and IPS.

petulant

Post by petulant » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Look at used 2014 or 2015 MacBook Pro’s. Strong internals, good keyboards, no touch bars, available for 1000ish.

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:14 pm

OP, I would encourage you to buy the Macbook with the BEST DISPLAY --> MOST RAM --> BIGGEST CAPACITY SSD --> CPU horsepower in that order . Any Macbook you buy today will last another 10+ years. Ask yourself - will your vision be as good in another 10 years ? Will the Macbook have enough RAM and SSD to store applications in memory and in permanent store for another 10 years ? Get the laptop with the best display. You will thank yourself. I never bought the Macbook Air because of very poor display. And I still won't.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:40 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:14 pm
OP, I would encourage you to buy the Macbook with the BEST DISPLAY --> MOST RAM --> BIGGEST CAPACITY SSD --> CPU horsepower in that order . Any Macbook you buy today will last another 10+ years. Ask yourself - will your vision be as good in another 10 years ? Will the Macbook have enough RAM and SSD to store applications in memory and in permanent store for another 10 years ? Get the laptop with the best display. You will thank yourself. I never bought the Macbook Air because of very poor display. And I still won't.

Software developer -just retired . My current MacBook Air is currently underpowered. MacBook Pro is from 2012 and fairly slow since the last update. iMac is 2008. I am really tempted by MacBook Air with 16 GB of ram and large SSD. Lighter weight.

I no longer want to be a power user so the Air will work fine.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:48 pm

What do you use it for?
Surprised so many folks are throwing out suggestions without knowing - maybe I missed it.

With almost anything Apple you typically get about 50% less performance for about 50% more cost when comparing to other products (those running Chrome, Linux, and yes - even Windows) but folks are sold on the experience and seem to accept it.
Whether the Macbook will provide enough ooomph for you in the coming years all depends upon when you plan on using it for.

jkelly

Post by jkelly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:50 pm

My i7 mid 2011 MacBook Pro with SSD and 16 gig of ram is more than enough for house duties. The upgrades ($200) really sped things up.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:07 pm

I, too, have a 2010 MBP and upgraded the RAM to 8gb a couple of years ago. I'm thinking about upgrading the RAM again to 16gb, adding a SSD, and replacing the battery.

How easy is it to switch the HD to SSD and swapping the battery? The Amazon reviews for batteries don't look too promising. Anybody have any luck with that?

robphoto

Post by robphoto » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:41 pm

It's pretty easy to upgrade ram and add SSD to the old MacBook Pro's. I have a 2011.

I got the kit from macsales.com that includes the little screwdrivers and a drive case to put the existing drive into for transfer.

They also have videos detailing how to do it, and you can probably also find them on youtube.

The SSD was the most noticeable performance boost I've made, on the MacBook Pro, MacPro Classic, and iMac.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Good news is the new Retina display. It's about time or they should have just killed the Air; it fits in oddly between the Macbook 12 and the Pro and noticeably pixelated display. The processor in the 2015 Air was higher power than the Y processor in the new 2018 Air, which makes me think it's more like the Macbook 12 than the Pro. Weightwise, it's awfully close to the pro, so I'd consider all three in the decision and figure out what is most important to you. There are reasons for all 3 depending on your priorities, but IMO, the new Air is more the worst of both worlds than the best, but for some, that's the ideal compromise at the best pricepoint for their needs. It's probably best for those that can do with the Macbook 12, but want a slightly larger screen and keyboard and don't care for the ultraportability. Probably best battery life of them all. Test will hopefully back that up.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... n-macbook/

Do you use Safari or another browser?
What are your top 3 sites? Slowest site you commonly go to?
Besides web browsing, what are your 3 most used Mac programs?
Do you do anything that's processor intensive? If so, it may be an issue.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Cor ... 466.0.html

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:28 pm

The new MacBook Air is definitely worth it IMHO. It's like a slightly detuned MacBook pro without the ugly bits like the touch bar. But make sure you try out the new keyboard beforehand. People seem to either love it or hate it.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Wanted to add, the 5350U in 2015 Air is ranked higher at 278 vs 291 for Macbook 12 with upgraded processor (approximate ranking for the standard Macbook 12 processor is 310). The 8210Y isn't listed, but the 8200Y comes in approximately at 292, right next to the upgraded Macbook 12. We'll see if the 8210Y beats the older Air when they get the benchmarks done and whether the real world comparisons match the benchmarks. For the most part, I'd expect approximately similar performance from all these choices. Don't forget, the extra pixels on the new Air will demand more processing to meet same real world performance.

278 Intel Core i5-5350U
291 Intel Core i7-7Y75
292* Intel Core i5-8200Y
310* Intel Core i5-7Y54

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Pr ... 436.0.html

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:39 pm

what do you want this comp to do?
office work, youtube, web browsing? yea its all youll need for another 8 years.

compiling, video editing, 3d modeling....no step up to the MBP again.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Uniballer wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:14 am
Go to the Apple Store and play with it. If you don't think it is faster than any computer you have owned to date then don't buy it.
this isnt really practical. anything made in 2018 windows or mac is faster than his old MBP. we dont know the OPs use case.

this is useful for those butterfly switches however.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 am
Unless you're a hardcore gamer, doing home video rendering or other compute intensive tasks, the base i5 CPU is plenty for everyday needs of most people (web, email, video streaming from Netflix, etc).
thankfully hardcore gamers dont consider macos

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:42 pm

I have a early 2015 MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD. My wife has a similar configuration in a late 2014 MacBook Pro. They both work flawlessly. The screens are wonderful, and the keyboard is terrific. All the ports are extremely helpful. I hope they last forever. Expect to keep them quite a long time. About $1000, or less. Worth considering.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:42 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 am
depends on use case. rendering on a 2core chip will hurt. playing LoL on a 16 core chip is unnecessary.
but yes, anyone with a HDD still needs to move up to a SSD.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 pm

One suggestion OP is to wait until January when the MacBook Air returns come in. Then you can buy one as a refurbished model at an ~15% discount via Apple (with warranty). I haven't bought a new Apple in decades. Refurb is the way to go (it usually doesn't mean broken, just returned or exchanged). In either event it's fully checked by Apple Certified Techs and warrantied.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:41 am
This MacBook Air still uses DDR3 ram when DDR4 has been around for 2 years.
right? such a money grubbing move.
ddr4 debuted in 2014.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 am
An Apple certified Tech/Consultant that I use occasionally for complex issues
curious what exactly have been your complex issues?

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Leif wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 am
I'm hoping I can get 8 years of service out of my MacBook Pro 2014 like you did on your 2010. Perhaps longer with SSD instead of a magnetic based drive.
didnt the 2014 mbp all have ssds?

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
possibly. it just hurts to pay so much for such old tech.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:54 pm

badger42 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am
Mind you, I replaced my 2011 MBP (which went to the kid) with a Thinkpad.
wise man.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:56 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:48 pm
What do you use it for?
Surprised so many folks are throwing out suggestions without knowing - maybe I missed it.
you didnt, had same ques. op isnt back....

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm
eye.surgeon wrote:
On the old macbook airs, the display really isn't that good. But, the form factor is very good (and it has a nice selection of ports as eye.surgeon notes), battery life excellent, etc. And I think performance is fine for almost everybody.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:23 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm
eye.surgeon wrote:
It hurts my eyes to stare at an obviously inferior screen (non-retina) and it's easily worth $0.02/minute not to. Used Pro or 12 is ok with me, just has to have retina display now.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm

The macbook air uses ultra low voltage processors to reduce power consumption. Compared to a desktop spec or workstation replacement laptop, it's much slower. I don't know if you will notice, but I do. I don't plan to buy an ultrabook again, unless the processors get better.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Expensive. But I guess if you really want it it is like any other luxury/premium item.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 pm

I have an air. I wish I'd bought the pro. Mine is the older one, but it falls short on some video applications and running a half dozen programs at a time. The size/weight is great though. It's a 2013 and I've worn off the space, asdcenl and m keys completely and still doing great. I did have to replace the battery a few months ago and I have some tape on the cord. Considering I make my living on the internet, maybe the air is fine.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course