Where to stay to visit Yosemite

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
krishk24

Where to stay to visit Yosemite

Post by krishk24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello
I have never visited Yosemite national forest and have a few questions on where to stay. I will be traveling with my wife, 2 kids and a dog. We are planning on driving and are interested in the following -
  • Reasonable accommodation - max of $150/night
    Duration - 6 days in December starting probably on the 24th
    Activities - snow sledding and maybe light skiing (we are not expert skiers)
    Amenities - kitchen, 2 bedroom and 1 bath
Should I stay inside of the national forest or near the national forest (20 miles from the entrance ?), consider Stanislaus National forest ?

Please advise regarding accommodation, where to book etc. If there is any further info needed, please let me know.

eye.surgeon

Re: Where to stay to visit Yosemite

Post by eye.surgeon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 am

I live in Clovis, the gateway to Yosemite. None of the places I would recommend would fit your budget to be honest (and having a dog will probably eliminate most of them) but all the hotels in the park have their unique charm with the marque property being the Majestic Yosemite hotel, called by all the locals by it's real name, the Ahwanee hotel, named changed over a travesty of a lawsuit. Outside the park in Fish Camp past the south gate is the nicest out of park hotel, Tenaya lodge.

Cheaper lodging can be found in Mariposa or Oakhurst, probably more to your budget.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:15 am

Check out Pinecrest in Groveland. It's about 30 minutes to the gate from there. It is usually right below the snow line, but you won't be far from some fun. Your price per night is a bit unreasonably low.

It is not guaranteed that you will have snow. We are going to the Bracebridge dinner, the weekend of 12/15 and staying at the Majestic Hotel. There is sometimes snow by then and sometimes not.

It has not started raining here and it's still upper 70's. When it rains in the Bay Area, it is usually snowing in Yosemite and the Sierras.

Dogs are iffy in the park. They are not allowed on the trails (bears!) and you will likely be inconveniently tied down.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am

First, Yosemite is a National Park, not a forest.

This is important because dogs are not allowed on any trails in almost any National Park, including Yosemite.

So I'd leave the dogs at home.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 am

Consider renting an RV. Rentals are between $100 - $1,000 per night depending on size and luxury. Check on where to camp/park first.

I have no recommendations on either.

Ralph

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:16 am

My recommendation is to consult the Yosemite National Park web site for lots of information. When reading there, you will learn about the requirement to have tire chains in case of snow. You will learn about lodging in the park and nearby, too. Links to check availability will be available, too. Example of a link: https://www.travelyosemite.com/special- ... s/lodging/

I have stayed at Tenaya Lodge and Yosemite Valley Lodge. Of course, I paid a lot more than $150 a night. To get into your price range, you will need to go backcountry camping. It will be a wonderful time of year to put on a backpack with your tent and take your snowshoes up into the mountains. I have even skied up the Merced River valley during your chosen time of year. The beauty of that is that there will be no one up in the snow with you. Avalanches might be a danger though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

PressIt

Post by PressIt » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 am

There are a few options outside the park, but personally I prefer to stay inside the park if possible. The views from within the valley are amazing, and you avoid the 30+ minute drive to get into The Valley every day, plus the headache of parking / traffic depending what time of the year you go.

I’ve camped in The Valley with my dog before, but most of the trails are off limits to pets. They can be on anything with a paved road, which includes a bike trail the goes around the entire valley. Other than that, don’t expect taking him / her on many hikes.

I’ve stayed outside The Valley at some air bnbs before, but my wife and I always prefer to stay in The Valley when possible.. I think it will make for a better trip

PressIt

Post by PressIt » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:45 am

PressIt wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 am
There are a few options outside the park, but personally I prefer to stay inside the park if possible. The views from within the valley are amazing, and you avoid the 30+ minute drive to get into The Valley every day, plus the headache of parking / traffic depending what time of the year you go.

I’ve camped in The Valley with my dog before, but most of the trails are off limits to pets. They can be on anything with a paved road, which includes a bike trail the goes around the entire valley. Other than that, don’t expect taking him / her on many hikes.

I’ve stayed outside The Valley at some air bnbs before, but my wife and I always prefer to stay in The Valley when possible.. I think it will make for a better trip
Sorry I may have read that wrong. I’m not sure any of the hotels in The Valley allow dogs, and most are pretty expensive. I was referring to campgrounds mainly at $20 or so a night

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 am

krishk24 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:41 pm
Hello
I have never visited Yosemite national forest and have a few questions on where to stay. I will be traveling with my wife, 2 kids and a dog. We are planning on driving and are interested in the following -
  • Reasonable accommodation - max of $150/night
    Duration - 6 days in December starting probably on the 24th
    Activities - snow sledding and maybe light skiing (we are not expert skiers)
    Amenities - kitchen, 2 bedroom and 1 bath
Should I stay inside of the national forest or near the national forest (20 miles from the entrance ?), consider Stanislaus National forest ?

Please advise regarding accommodation, where to book etc. If there is any further info needed, please let me know.
You are not going to find accommodations in Yosemite National Park that meet your requirements. You will need to stay outside the park and drive in everyday. This could present a problem if there is a storm during your visit. Be prepared for driving in snow. The prefer entrance in the winter is Highway 140. Your best bet could be staying in Mariposa. Here are some possibilities:https://www.airbnb.com/s/Mariposa--CA-- ... g=oTUbH5S8
Your dog will present a problem that you will have to decide how to handle.
Best Wishes, | Joe

uconn97

Post by uconn97 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:58 am

Check out:
https://www.scenicwonders.com/
They have cabins for rent, right outside the park. Now, the internet is very limited and there is no grocery store, so bring everything you think you will need for your stay...we stopped in Clovis and brought groceries on the way from Sacramento. These cabins are 30 mins to the valley and have direct access to the park. Have a great stay.

segfault

Post by segfault » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 am

Stayed in an Airbnb in Mariposa last year, and it was great. The commute into the park wasn't bad.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:45 am

Decide which area and entrance of the park you want to visit. I'd say it's too large to visit more than a couple areas from one of the gates in only a couple days. I also recommend a house rental such as Airbnb near whichever side of the park you want most. We have a place we occasionally rent out on Airbnb in Groveland which is on the road to the West gate. My wife loves it up there.

Whatchabooblehead

Post by Whatchabooblehead » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:27 pm

You can stay inside the park about 20 minutes away from Yosemite valley in cabins or condos at enchantedyosemite.com. It's well suited for a family or couple depending on the accommodations you choose. You will have to get your food stuffs before you enter the park in Oakhurst or Merced. Happy hiking :)