Damage caused by roofer, what are my options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
focusedonwhatmatters

Damage caused by roofer, what are my options?

Post by focusedonwhatmatters » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:35 pm

Two years ago I hired a local roofing company with an A+ BBB rating to do a large roofing project which was covered by my homeowner's insurance. Included in this project was replacing a copper hood that abutted some stonework. They chiseled out the mortar around the stones by the copper hood, as well as some other places where the stones met the roofline. This resulted in stones falling off my house a few months later, well within the five year installation guarantee the roofing company boasts. I am certain the mortar problems are a direct result of this company as the entire house has stone but the only places the mortar is cracked or crumbling is where they chiseled to work on the roof and the copper.

I have spoken to the owner of the roofer 9 times in the past 8 months. He admits responsibility, but says it is his sub's faulty craftsmanship and thus his sub should fix it. For what it's worth, I did not pay his sub separately, I just paid the roofing company. He promised to fix it "by the end of the week" for several months.

Finally someone put the stones back up one day last month when I was not home; it was done in a sloppy manner, and they didn't even put mortar around the newly-placed stones. They also failed to address the crumbling mortar that resulted from their work two years ago. Several more voice mails later, and he has not returned my calls about the crumbling mortar. Frankly I don't think this roofer has any idea how to properly fix the problem.

I contacted another company who gave me a bid of $1,500 to repair these areas *if* there isn't damage already from water intrusion where it meets the roof and also getting behind the other stones. I haven't had the work done yet, but want this fixed before winter.

I'm looking for advice as to how to proceed. I'm wondering if this is something that can be addressed with the insurance company that originally paid the claim (although I no longer have my policy with that insurance company)? I'm also thinking of filing a complaint with the BBB, asking the roofer to pay the company of my choice for the repair. If that fails I could possibly take him to small claims court.

Any advice on the best approach?

Thanks in advance!

fowm

OnTrack2020

Re: Damage caused by roofer, what are my options?

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 am

As you probably know by now, your problem is not going to get resolved with the roofing company. Get in touch with your insurance agent and explain this situation. Let them know you need to have the repairs done ($1500), because my guess is you are going to have bigger problems if you don't. They should be able to advise you, as this would still fall under that particular claim you filed. I would start there.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:23 am

OnTrack2020 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 am
As you probably know by now, your problem is not going to get resolved with the roofing company. Get in touch with your insurance agent and explain this situation. Let them know you need to have the repairs done ($1500), because my guess is you are going to have bigger problems if you don't. They should be able to advise you, as this would still fall under that particular claim you filed. I would start there.
But I would also get the repairs done promptly by someone who is competent. The most important thing is minimizing damage to your house.

I would also bring in the BBB and post reviews.

Sometimes companies with good reputations just suck; I had that happen with a painting job this summer. I eventually ate damage costs and threw them out. It wasn't worth further stress. I am working on a dilly of a review, however.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am

I would decide if you want to win against the roofer or have the issue fixed.
4nursebee

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am

BBB A+ rating. That's hilarious.

(to eliminate complaints, all a company has to do is contact BBB and tell them that the problem is resolved and the case can be closed. No contact is made to the complainant. The BBB is only interested in the business side of the story.)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 am

I dont see why anyone relies on the BBB as a reliable source anymore. Its been common knowledge that you can pay to improve your rating for at least a decade. It can be effective for dispute resolution in some cases however.

OP, pay the money to the other company to do it right, write a bad review with pictures on google and yelp, and get on with your life or try to take them to small claims court.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am

(to eliminate complaints, all a company has to do is contact BBB and tell them that the problem is resolved and the case can be closed. No contact is made to the complainant. The BBB is only interested in the business side of the story.)
This hasn't been my experience and I've actually had great success with the two times I have filed complaints with the BBB. The BBB never closed either case until I agreed that things were resolved and they asked me without prompting in both cases.

focusedonwhatmatters

Post by focusedonwhatmatters » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I will hire another company for the repairs, then file a complaint with the BBB. If I don't get anywhere with the BBB, I'll try small claims.

I called my insurance company who said they couldn't help me since the claim was paid and closed. My insurance company suggested I file a claim with the roofer's insurance company. I called the roofer's company who told me their coverage doesn't cover such a thing, I would have to take them to court. :annoyed

I hesitate to write a review on Google or Yelp because it identifies me publicly.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:39 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am

This hasn't been my experience and I've actually had great success with the two times I have filed complaints with the BBB. The BBB never closed either case until I agreed that things were resolved and they asked me without prompting in both cases.
I agree. I have used the BBB 2-3 times and they seem quite conscientious.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am

First, did you ever put the issue and your requirements for repair in writing? If not, send the roofer a certified letter that clearly and succinctly spells out what you want done, and give a very short timeline for repairs. Reference and include an attachment that lists all the times over the last year you contacted him and what he said and did.

If you do not get it resolved via the above, and you know the roofers insurance company (you did get a certificate of insurance before they did the work, correct?) look on the certificate and contact the General Liability Insurer. Tell them you want to file a claim under the "completed operations" portion of the GL policy.

Then get two or there companies to price the repairs, with complete scope. In this scoping out process you will hopefully learn exactly what needs to be done, so you can select the company you like best and have them do it.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Those BBB ratings are not a reliable place to look. I have had much better luck combing deeply through reviews at yelp/angies list/etc. and reading them at length. That's the only tool to really get a feeling for whether someone has a good track record.

And you need to read a lot of them because some of them are fake. But usually not when there are a a mountain of good ones for one place.
A letter grade from BBB or the like is basically useless.

focusedonwhatmatters

Post by focusedonwhatmatters » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Thank you for all the responses. The repair job has increased to over $4,000 as the damage was more extensive than I could see from the ground. This bid may go up if further damage is revealed once they get in there.

I am writing a letter to the owner of the roofing company -- which I will both email and send by certified mail -- demanding he pay for the repairs or I will file suit. I am including the bid I received to do the repairs as well as multiple photos of his failed work.

My thought is he hasn't been willing to work with me up until now, so trying to resolve this through the BBB would probably just be spinning my wheels. I might as well just cut to the chase and go to small claims court. Not that I really want to go to court, but $4,000+ isn't pocket change to me.

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:20 am

You say you spoke to the roofer and "someone" came to repair it by replacing stones that had fallen off. Do you know who that was? Surely not the roofer you've been dealing with. To me, this is an issue. You demanded they come fix it, someone came to your house and did sub-standard work, and now you have another issue. If those stones weren't adhered properly or even mortared, as you indicate, they'll probably have to be removed again and replaced correctly.

My point is that I'd want to make darn sure I know who's coming to do the work, and I'd want to be there when it's done. Why trust this contractor after all this mess?