Think I have found my new commuter car - 2019 Honda Insight

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
letsgobobby

Think I have found my new commuter car - 2019 Honda Insight

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 am

Getting rave reviews from all quarters. Highlights:

- Prius-like mileage
- Superior performance in every respect to the Prius
- quiet on the road, noted in nearly every review, very important for a long highway drive
- noted to be ‘upscale’ by many (open to interpretation but suggesting it is no Prius on the inside, at least)
- Affordable, with the top level trim under $30,000 and base versions under $23,000
- presumed Honda reliability

Here are a few reviews:

https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/insight

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/23078/ ... uy-a-prius

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/i ... s-to-know/

I’ll probably let it age a year or two just to work out any new model year bugs, and to squeeze another 40,000 miles out of my current vehicle, but barring a new development during that period of time, I’ll be heading in to the Honda shop for a test drive and hopefully purchase.

Seems like a top notch option for those looking for a great commuter car.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Think I have found my new commuter car - 2019 Honda Insight

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 am

Pros: Looks like a real car. Top speed well over 100mph.

Cons: No manual transmission (CR-Z RIP).

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 am

One odd thing about it is that its regular 12V battery (the one that starts your car and such) is actually mounted under the center console and requires a special Honda AGM battery. The way I read it is that a battery change will require trips to the dealership. Don't know if eventually there will be after market batteries and such.

Just something to be aware of.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 am

I've been eyeing the Insight as well. My Prius still has several years of life left, but I'm tired of other cars on the road "bullying" me because I drive a Prius. I read about this before I got the car and chalked it up to an exaggeration by those obnoxious hyper-milers who impede traffic (and who probably deserve the backlash). Unfortunately it's a real thing, and it isn't my driving or just a small car thing since I have a totally different experience when driving our Corolla. The fact that the Insight looks like a completely normal sedan should eliminate this.

I think it's wise to wait at least a year. Unfortunately even Toyota and Honda have been prone to first model year bugs recently.

Honda also offers Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, while Toyota has been hesistant to adopt these technologies and are clinging to their rubbish Entune.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 am

As a current Prius owner (2007 - getting a bit long in the tooth but still runs fine) I'm also intrigued by the Insight. It seems to improve on just about everything on the Prius (performance, comfort, rear seat room, tech, styling) without sacrificing fuel economy.

The Civic SI looks a lot more fun to drive, but the practical side of me (and the fact that I do spend some time in stop and go traffic) will likely make this a better choice. I'm also thinking give it a year to iron out any issues.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:35 am

I'm always confused when people don't look at used EV's for commuter cars.

They drive like real cars. Tons of power and are actually fun.

Prius type cars drive like crap... I'm shocked people are willing to tolerate them when EV's get more than double or triple the "fuel" economy.

is it just new is scary?

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am

I don't want to burst any bubbles out there, but take it for a test drive. I too was enamored with the Insight in digital form, but I found the driving characteristics of it to be very unusual and sort of a deal breaker for me. The Toyota hybrids (Camry included) drive in a whole other class.

Plus it has the apparently new characteristic Honda flaw of significant center console intrusion on taller driver's right leg, which I've found to be a big problem for my long legs in the Accord, Insight, Civic and CRV. (I do find the Pilot to be one of the most comfortable vehicles I've experienced in my life--wife owns one).

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 am

texaspapas wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am
I don't want to burst any bubbles out there, but take it for a test drive. I too was enamored with the Insight in digital form, but I found the driving characteristics of it to be very unusual and sort of a deal breaker for me. The Toyota hybrids (Camry included) drive in a whole other class.

Plus it has the apparently new characteristic Honda flaw of significant center console intrusion on taller driver's right leg, which I've found to be a big problem for my long legs in the Accord, Insight, Civic and CRV. (I do find the Pilot to be one of the most comfortable vehicles I've experienced in my life--wife owns one).
Is this the new 2019 Insight you’ve driven?
clutchied wrote: I'm always confused when people don't look at used EV's for commuter cars.

Prius type cars drive like crap... I'm shocked people are willing to tolerate them when EV's get more than double or triple the "fuel" economy.

is it just new is scary?
EVs may get double or triple the ‘fuel’ economy, but they also cost double or triple the money, or have half or one third the range of the Prius type cars.

Pretty obvious.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 am

jadd806 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 am
I've been eyeing the Insight as well. My Prius still has several years of life left, but I'm tired of other cars on the road "bullying" me because I drive a Prius. I read about this before I got the car and chalked it up to an exaggeration by those obnoxious hyper-milers who impede traffic (and who probably deserve the backlash). Unfortunately it's a real thing, and it isn't my driving or just a small car thing since I have a totally different experience when driving our Corolla. The fact that the Insight looks like a completely normal sedan should eliminate this.

I think it's wise to wait at least a year. Unfortunately even Toyota and Honda have been prone to first model year bugs recently.

Honda also offers Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, while Toyota has been hesistant to adopt these technologies and are clinging to their rubbish Entune.
I drive a Prius and love it but I have to agree that there are Prius haters on the road. I drive at speed and don't try to hypermile. Compared to my experiences in other small cars (325i and Jetta), I definitely notice more aggression from trucks and pickups.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 am

It's a great time to buy a car. November is supposedly the cheapest month.

I was hell-bent on buying a Honda or a Toyota last November....I have driven Hondas since 1983.....but I finally settled on a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited just after the 2018s came out.

Reason? I got a lot more bang for my buck. Hyundai and Kia are desperately trying to improve their reputation and be considered in the same echelon as Honda and Toyota, and they have upped their game to do so. They are hungry and willing to bargain. A similar Honda or Toyota would have cost me at least $5K more than what I paid, and the car is loaded. I don't perceive a real difference in quality and the warranty is far superior.

Economy? Think about what you are really talking about. I do a lot of highway driving between MA and NY, and I average up to 46 mpg on the highway, driving 5-9 mph over the speed limit when I can , averaging in the mid to high 30s for mixed driving. I drive 450 miles or so between fill-ups. Even at $3/gallon, the difference between 40 mpg and 50 mpg would be $150 per 10,000 miles. The equivalent of what I often spend when I buy groceries. To me that difference is not important enough to be a major factor in choosing a car.

You may have your reasons for wanting a hybrid. I don't think they justify the extra cost.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:55 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 am
texaspapas wrote:

Yes, absolutely. The 2019 Insight, EX-L. I only did one test drive, so definitely give it a go for yourself, but it was a pretty negative experience for me.

But watch that right knee center console intrusion if you're over about 6 ft or so, regardless of the model you choose. I didn't even notice it until I was in an Accord as a loaner car. I had test driven Accords twice and liked it both times, but then the longer experience of being in the loaner car (the Pilot was at the dealer for leaking rear hatch repair) completely turned me off of their models with the wide/hard center console and stack intrusion. My knee just drives into that center console plastic, worse when I'm braking. It's terrible. Wife said it was non-issue for her.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:05 pm

texaspapas wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:55 am
letsgobobby wrote:
texaspapas wrote:

Yes, absolutely. The 2019 Insight, EX-L. I only did one test drive, so definitely give it a go for yourself, but it was a pretty negative experience for me.

But watch that right knee center console intrusion if you're over about 6 ft or so, regardless of the model you choose. I didn't even notice it until I was in an Accord as a loaner car. I had test driven Accords twice and liked it both times, but then the longer experience of being in the loaner car (the Pilot was at the dealer for leaking rear hatch repair) completely turned me off of their models with the wide/hard center console and stack intrusion. My knee just drives into that center console plastic, worse when I'm braking. It's terrible. Wife said it was non-issue for her.
I had the exact same experience with the Accord. I am 5'11" with long legs and test drove an Accord Touring 2.0T. When I first got into the car, I banged my knee into the center console. I've never had that happen in my life. Then when I was driving, the edge of the center console, which is made from hard plastic, was constantly pressing under my kneecap. Again, never driven a car, especially that large, that was wedging hard plastic into my body. Was an instant deal breaker for me.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 pm

monkey_business wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I had the exact same experience with the Accord. I am 5'11" with long legs and test drove an Accord Touring 2.0T. When I first got into the car, I banged my knee into the center console. I've never had that happen in my life. Then when I was driving, the edge of the center console, which is made from hard plastic, was constantly pressing under my kneecap. Again, never driven a car, especially that large, that was wedging hard plastic into my body. Was an instant deal breaker for me.
It's insane, right? Google around about it, it's a huge problem. After 30 minutes in that Accord it hurt to walk.

I guess with the increasing focus on big infotainment systems and places to charge/store large cell phones, the center stacks are getting wider. I've found the issue in the Camry as well, but terrible in the Accord, Civic/Insight and CRV. The Sonata and in particular the Elantra (mentioned above) seem to be quite a bit better. I'm trying to find places to rent cars prior to try out prior to making any purchase decision. It's actually harder than I would think though, for example Enterprise has told me I have to show up physically in their office to request a specific car, then pay extra to rent it.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:18 pm

texaspapas wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 pm
monkey_business wrote:

It's insane, right? Google around about it, it's a huge problem. After 30 minutes in that Accord it hurt to walk.

I guess with the increasing focus on big infotainment systems and places to charge/store large cell phones, the center stacks are getting wider. I've found the issue in the Camry as well, but terrible in the Accord, Civic/Insight and CRV. The Sonata and in particular the Elantra (mentioned above) seem to be quite a bit better. I'm trying to find places to rent cars prior to try out prior to making any purchase decision. It's actually harder than I would think though, for example Enterprise has told me I have to show up physically in their office to request a specific car, then pay extra to rent it.
It's totally insane. Not only is the console wide, but Honda made the bottom portion from rock-hard plastic, and it's not even completely rounded! It has an actual edge! It's amazing how huge the new Accord is, and yet how it has no space for your legs.

If you're interested in a sedan like that, test drive a Mazda 6. I found that its center console was quite comfortable, and also padded and wrapped in leather (or leatherette).

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:18 pm

monkey_business wrote:
texaspapas wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
texaspapas wrote:

I have the same problem with driving my wife's new Mazda CX-9.

It has a wide center console and my right knee is always rubbing against it when driving. It is a gorgeous SUV, drives great, and has a nice looking interior.

I prefer to drive my old pickup and "manspread" without my right leg touching the center console.

It seems like a lot of the new vehicles have larger center consoles.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Separate from the console, what was so unusual about the driving experience? None of the reviewers have commented on it in a negative way.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 pm

monkey_business wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:18 pm
texaspapas wrote:

It's totally insane. Not only is the console wide, but Honda made the bottom portion from rock-hard plastic, and it's not even completely rounded! It has an actual edge! It's amazing how huge the new Accord is, and yet how it has no space for your legs.

If you're interested in a sedan like that, test drive a Mazda 6. I found that its center console was quite comfortable, and also padded and wrapped in leather (or leatherette).
Good to know about the 6. I'll add that to my increasingly short list of cars to try out. Thanks for the tip.
bubbadog wrote:

It has a wide center console and my right knee is always rubbing against it when driving. It is a gorgeous SUV, drives great, and has a nice looking interior.

I prefer to drive my old pickup and "manspread" without my right leg touching the center console.

It was about a week ago when we had the loaner that my wife and I decided to do a 300 mile road trip in my 17 year old, lifted, 4x4 pick up truck rather than sit in that new Honda Accord for several hours. Driving that thing for an extended period of time was simply not an option.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:40 pm

monkey_business wrote:
texaspapas wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
texaspapas wrote:

My old Honda Fit was like that too.

I was always a bit concerned about what would happen to my knee if I was in an accident.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:42 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:33 pm
Separate from the console, what was so unusual about the driving experience? None of the reviewers have commented on it in a negative way.
I've test driven the Insight and the most unusual thing is that the engine sound is disconnected from the car's acceleration. The way the Insight works is it runs off electric power, and the combustion engine acts as a generator. The only time the combustion engine actually moves the car is during some highway driving, when a special clutch kicks in. What this means is that when you step on the gas pedal, the engine is revving up, but the sound does not necessarily match how the car is accelerating. The car also has no transmission, so the revs don't go through cycles but rather work more CVT-like.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:52 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:33 pm
Oh, yes, that's a great question but it's hard to describe. It's awkward. I know by the numbers it's actually not a slow car at all, but the power feels drained in it. And then with any significant throttle inputs the little gas motor kicks on and just screams at max RPM, but the car doesn't really move anywhere with that, it just continues a slow march up to speed. I'm a slow driver by nature, I drive mostly on at most lightly trafficked rural four-lane, divided median highways, and usually at the speed limit or a little under. And yet still I just felt like it would be irritating to drive this for any length of time on open highway. It would probably make an excellent city/heavy traffic commuter. If you look on Fuelly, drivers are posting superb mileage numbers.

I have driven the Accord hybrid as well, and outside of the center console/stack issues (which the Insight shares), it's a totally different car. Very responsive, I would say fast even, great braking. A superb driver if not for my knee/leg issue.

b42

Post by b42 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm currently leasing a 2017 Civic, so I'm interested to test-drive a 2020 Civic and Insight back-to-back to see the difference when my lease is up. To me the insight seems like the Civic hybrid that doesn't exist.

Also, I haven't had any issues with the console, although I do tend to drive with a leg resting up against it.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:19 pm

b42 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 pm
I'm currently leasing a 2017 Civic, so I'm interested to test-drive a 2020 Civic and Insight back-to-back to see the difference when my lease is up. To me the insight seems like the Civic hybrid that doesn't exist.

Also, I haven't had any issues with the console, although I do tend to drive with a leg resting up against it.
The Insight definitely Is the Civic Hybrid that doesn't exist. Turning radius is exactly the same (35.7'). Brakes front/rear exactly the same (11.1/10.2"). Length/width dimensions are within 1.3", just a slight difference in body paneling between the two. Both cars are amazing in their ways. Civic is probably the cheapest car available that I know of with the tech for full range adaptive cruise control and Honda's excellent Lane Keeping Assist system, both amazing on long highway commutes. Great machine for the money if you fit in it.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:32 pm

texaspapas wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 pm
monkey_business wrote:
texaspapas wrote:

Good to know about the 6. I'll add that to my increasingly short list of cars to try out. Thanks for the tip.
bubbadog wrote:

It was about a week ago when we had the loaner that my wife and I decided to do a 300 mile road trip in my 17 year old, lifted, 4x4 pick up truck rather than sit in that new Honda Accord for several hours. Driving that thing for an extended period of time was simply not an option.
My truck is also a 4x4 17 yo vehicle. It is way more comfortable than my wife's new SUV. :sharebeer

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 pm

The Insight has a nicer interior trim (seats, infotainment) than the Civic. I would have bought one when I was shopping in September but dealership sold me an Accord 2.0 EX-L for $4000 off MSRP. I actually would have preferred the smaller car for commuting but couldn't pass up the deal on the Accord. There were over 100 Accords on the lot and two Insights so a similar deal was not available on the Insight.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 pm

stan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 pm
The Insight has a nicer interior trim (seats, infotainment) than the Civic. I would have bought one when I was shopping in September but dealership sold me an Accord 2.0 EX-L for $4000 off MSRP. I actually would have preferred the smaller car for commuting but couldn't pass up the deal on the Accord. There were over 100 Accords on the lot and two Insights so a similar deal was not available on the Insight.
4k off MSRP for a 2.0 is a great, and what an engine. I really like the drive of the Accord, even the 1.5. Acceleration, and the brakes are amazing. And to my knowledge the Honda standard driver assist tech is the best deal on the market right now. My friend recently drove a Model 3 in "autopilot" mode, and was telling me how great it was that it could drive with auto-steer down the highway. I told him how my wife's 2 year old Pilot that cost about 25k less has been doing the same thing for years, he was incredulous. The Tesla tech is probably slightly more functional once you get used to it, but for general highway cruising/commuting, the Honda gets the job done and more.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 am

protagonist wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 am
It's a great time to buy a car. November is supposedly the cheapest month.

I was hell-bent on buying a Honda or a Toyota last November....I have driven Hondas since 1983.....but I finally settled on a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited just after the 2018s came out.

Reason? I got a lot more bang for my buck. Hyundai and Kia are desperately trying to improve their reputation and be considered in the same echelon as Honda and Toyota, and they have upped their game to do so. They are hungry and willing to bargain. A similar Honda or Toyota would have cost me at least $5K more than what I paid, and the car is loaded. I don't perceive a real difference in quality and the warranty is far superior.

Economy? Think about what you are really talking about. I do a lot of highway driving between MA and NY, and I average up to 46 mpg on the highway, driving 5-9 mph over the speed limit when I can , averaging in the mid to high 30s for mixed driving. I drive 450 miles or so between fill-ups. Even at $3/gallon, the difference between 40 mpg and 50 mpg would be $150 per 10,000 miles. The equivalent of what I often spend when I buy groceries. To me that difference is not important enough to be a major factor in choosing a car.

You may have your reasons for wanting a hybrid. I don't think they justify the extra cost.
but you admit the reason for the price difference is primarily because of brand - hyundai instead of honda - not because it’s a hybrid. better to compare within brand, such as civic-insight-accord, or corolla-prius-camry.

not saying i would never buy a hyundai, but they are not, at this moment, what i’m looking for.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 am

clutchied wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:35 am

is it just new is scary?
In our Prius Prime I have achieved 6.8 miles per kW-hr over 25 miles of city driving (max 35 mph roads). I am VERY interested to hear which four wheeled automotive electric vehicles with an ordinary comfortable interior and modern conveniences are hitting nearly 21 miles per kW-hr (i.e. less than 50 watt-hrs per mile). Granted, my more typical driving route that includes 45mph roads has me down to around 5.1 to 5.3 miles per kW-hr.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:44 am

Slacker wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 am
clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?
In our Prius Prime I have achieved 6.8 miles per kW-hr over 25 miles of city driving (max 35 mph roads). I am VERY interested to hear which four wheeled automotive electric vehicles with an ordinary comfortable interior and modern conveniences are hitting nearly 21 miles per kW-hr (i.e. less than 50 watt-hrs per mile). Granted, my more typical driving route that includes 45mph roads has me down to around 5.1 to 5.3 miles per kW-hr.
hey that's great! I'm talking gas consumption hybrids, but I'm sure you know that and were just trying to make a point.

Prius' still drive like garbage.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:17 am

jadd806 wrote:
I'm guilty of Prius bias. Every time I see one in front of me on a highway or country road, the first thing I do is figure out how to get in front of it before the next big hill climb.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 am

RootSki wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:17 am
jadd806 wrote:
I'm guilty of Prius bias. Every time I see one in front of me on a highway or country road, the first thing I do is figure out how to get in front of it before the next big hill climb.
Yup, most days on the way to work I experience this at least once. Vehicle merging onto the highway that's probably empty except for me: "oh a Prius, better pass it." Then they slow down below 70. Meanwhile I've had the cruise control locked on 72 for the last 20 miles and I'm not about to slow down, so I move over to pass. "Oh no, I'm about to get passed by a Prius, better speed up."

I used to give in and move behind them, but almost every time they just slow down again. Now I play their game to see how fast they're willing to go not to get passed by a Prius. Most give up around 80 but I'm young and irresponsible so I've gone quite a bit beyond that. Not saying you drive like that by the way, it's just one of the more common applications of the unique Prius stigma that I see. Any other passenger vehicle and nobody gives a second thought to letting faster moving traffic pass.

At the time I bought mine (2015) all the other hybrids on the market were more expensive and had at least 20% worse fuel economy. It seemed manufacturers were just retrofitting hybrid tech into their mid-size sedan lines as an afterthought. In 2018-2019 most have bridged the gap and the Camry Hybrid, Sonata Hybrid, Kia Niro and now the Insight are all legitimate competitors to the Prius. In fact I would consider all of these vehicles before a Prius if I needed a new car today and I always urge anyone I know who is looking for a hybrid to do the same.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 am

Owned Hondas since 1983 :happy
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am

More on topic, I have a buddy who is 6'3" who test drove the Insight. I asked him about the center console thing and he said he didn't notice it and had a few inches of clearance when his right leg was straight.

Are the people who complain about this just sitting wrong? I'm 6''1" and I don't see why my right leg would be anything other than perfectly straight unless my seat was adjusted wrong. I do notice that my left leg is bent to the side and presses into the door while I drive, but I'm not using it.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Just FYI, The December 2018 Consumer Reports has a review of the Insight. It says they think the Prius is a better deal.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks. Definitely need to test drive one.

For me, the biggest drawback to the Prius is the road noise. It’s absolutely horrendous in the freeway. I could not use that as my daily commuter car. It doesn’t bother my wife at all.

What caught my eye about the insight is the reviews which mentioned its quiet interior. That alone is enough to make be test drive it.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 am

clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?
Nah it is more that EVs make no sense for most people. They don't own commuter cars. They own cars they commute in. Living with a 120 mile range is too limiting for that. And no people don't want to rent a car once a month when they take a weekend trip. It might work out mathematically but it isn't somethig a lot of people will do. Some day when you can buy 20-30k (and remember those tax credits are rapidly expiring) cars that all go 200-250 miles, you will see EV uptake take off. The bolt is close but I bet a lot of people find it a hair too small.

The other problem is that the charging infrastructure eliminates a good chunk of the market. If you don't own a garage, it is a real pain. There are a lot of apartment and city dwellers where the car fits their needs but the infrastructure to support that car doesn't. It will be interesting to see if that also changes.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am

clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?
Actually, I want to drive a car that I don't have to worry about where to charge it for my long distance trips. I drive 500 miles round trips every other weeks and for that a hybrid car fits me well. Fill up the gas within 10 minutes and back on the road again, that's where an EV does not work well (for me).

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

jadd806 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am
I do notice that my left leg is bent to the side and presses into the door while I drive, but I'm not using it.
Red flag right there. How’s that going to feel if someone or something hits the door with substantial force right there? How’s that going to feel on a long road trip, potholes, vibrations, hard cornering, etc...?

wander

Post by wander » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 pm

RootSki wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm
jadd806 wrote:
I do notice that my left leg is bent to the side and presses into the door while I drive, but I'm not using it.
Red flag right there. How’s that going to feel if someone or something hits the door with substantial force right there? How’s that going to feel on a long road trip, potholes, vibrations, hard cornering, etc...?
Shouldn't you use the the car foot rest when driving or doesn't this car have one?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 pm

clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?
When will my landlord install charging stations in the parking lot? What about my public sector employer? A lot of reasons people can't shop for EVs. The infrastructure isn't readily available for a lot of the population.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 pm

RootSki wrote:
jadd806 wrote:
I drive 100 miles per day and it hasn't been an issue. If it was uncomfortable I would adjust my posture. I'm sure it's not optimal in an accident but I'll take the risk.
wander wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 pm
RootSki wrote:
jadd806 wrote:
Shouldn't you use the the car foot rest when driving or doesn't this car have one?
It has one, I just don't like to use it most of the time.

ClemsonBogle

Post by ClemsonBogle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm

I routinely get 38-39 avergae out of my 2013 accord EXL. I have gotten as high as 40. I see the appeal of the accord hybrid at similar prices to what you state for the insight? 49-50mpg and no penalty and full size and unbullied to boot?

Pick your poison but as long as my car is in the high 30s i am comfortable with it. I plan on upgrading to either a 2018/9 1.5T EXL in a few years or maybe really go crazy and get a 2.0T maybe even with a manual...

=)

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm

clutchied wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:44 am
Slacker wrote:
clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?
hey that's great! I'm talking gas consumption hybrids, but I'm sure you know that and were just trying to make a point.

Yes, not a sports car.

Compared to our other recent and current cars, it isn't so bad. Quieter highway drive then our focus or old mustang GT (sold this one).
Decent enough 0-30 for us as work from home types as we rarely are on the highways.

The Prius Prime let us "tryout" the ev lifestyle without making a full commitment and we find that the meager 30 mile battery range still means around 5000 miles between fuel ups at a gas station (does that mean we could tell someone we are getting about 500mpg :P ). It has us convinced that we could easily do with a 150 mile real world driving range EV. Love driving past gas stations on battery power.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am

Slacker wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm
clutchied wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:44 am
Slacker wrote:
clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?

Yes, not a sports car.

Compared to our other recent and current cars, it isn't so bad. Quieter highway drive then our focus or old mustang GT (sold this one).
Decent enough 0-30 for us as work from home types as we rarely are on the highways.

The Prius Prime let us "tryout" the ev lifestyle without making a full commitment and we find that the meager 30 mile battery range still means around 5000 miles between fuel ups at a gas station (does that mean we could tell someone we are getting about 500mpg :P ). It has us convinced that we could easily do with a 150 mile real world driving range EV. Love driving past gas stations on battery power.
good to hear!

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 am

wander wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am
clutchied wrote:

is it just new is scary?
Actually, I want to drive a car that I don't have to worry about where to charge it for my long distance trips. I drive 500 miles round trips every other weeks and for that a hybrid car fits me well. Fill up the gas within 10 minutes and back on the road again, that's where an EV does not work well (for me).
fair point!

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:54 pm

I was all convinced that I was going to buy an Insight from web info then I went in to a Honda dealership today. The first thing is, I leaned forward and hit my head on the sun visor. I am tall, but not that tall, and adjusting the seat did not help. Then I realized my body was twisted to the right. This is because the gas and brake pedals are small and close together. This is probably okay for a one footed driver, but not for a two footed driver.