Tire rotation - low mileage car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Tire rotation - low mileage car

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

How important is regular tire rotation?

If you have to pay for the rotation - how much is rotating "worth"?

Car is driven only about 5,000 - 6,000 miles per year.

HueyLD

Re: Tire rotation - low mileage car

Post by HueyLD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Tire rotation is included in the price I paid for the tires. So, I take the car to where I bought the tires and have them rotated without additional charge.

The shop owner told me that tires only need to be rotated every 5-6k miles. So in your situation, you only need the rotation once a year.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:37 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm
Tire rotation is included in the price I paid for the tires. So, I take the car to where I bought the tires and have them rotated without additional charge.
The shop owner told me that tires only need to be rotated every 5-6k miles. So in your situation, you only need the rotation once a year.
No such deal with these tires - I will check around.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Personally
Every 5-6k for me.
Don't know if it is necessary ,
But it gives me peace of mind.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm

I thought you got the tires at Costco? They do tire rotation, balancing, repairs and inflation free of charge.

Post by 123 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Rotating of tires is often a condition of the warranty of the tires. So the warranty will tell you when to do it. It possible to tell if tires haven't been rotated by the wear patterns usually. The longer the expected life of the tire (miles) the more likely you are to see tire rotation issues if you don't rotate. I think a dealer could charge $25 - $100 to rotate tires if that were the only service (some wheel/rim types involve extra costs). Some tire dealers give lifetime free rotation. I have usually had mine rotated when I get an oil change every year or so (I usually go where the tire rotation is free or at minimal cost with the oil change, like Sears Auto Center).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm
I thought you got the tires at Costco? They do tire rotation, balancing, repairs and inflation free of charge.
We only got 2 at Costco a year ago. I thought to get the free rotation - you had to buy all four (we did on other car). I will check to see if we have the deal for only 2.

Thanks.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Yes, do check with their friendly tire center folks.

I had two original tires replaced on my relatively new car. So only two tires were purchased at Costco. The tire center guy told me that as long as at least one tire was bought at Costco, they would do the rotation without charge.

Of course their willingness to help out got me to go back and got the next two tires replaced when it became necessary.

Win-win.

terran

Post by terran » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Discount Tire will rotate your tires for free regardless of where you bought them (obviously with the hope that you buy from them next time).

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:54 pm

I only rotate them every 10K miles, regardless of how many months or years it takes to accumulate that many miles (although, if the tire rotation comes up near an oil change interval, I'll delay or move up one or the other so I can do both on the same day).

If you're only putting 5-6K miles/yr on your car, I would think rotating them every 2 years is plenty unless the tire warranty says otherwise.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:55 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

I have rotated tires on some of my cars, but some of my cars have staggered tires which means they cannot be rotated. All tire rotation does is even out the wear to prolong their longevity a little bit. I didn't lose any sleep over not rotating my tires. IMHO there are more important maintenance than rotating the tires:

4 wheel alignment
tire pressure
checking suspension
replacing "expired" tires that are over 6 years old (regardless of mileage or wear)
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:16 pm

dm200 wrote:

Assume you have a Camry with front wheel drive and Michelin Defenders on all four corners with a warranty of 80k miles. Given a vehicle wears the fronts faster than the rears, you will only get 40k miles out of the Defenders in the front if you never rotate. If you rotate just once at 40k miles then you'll have evenly worn all 4 tires. So it's worth it to rotate at least once to get full use within the 6-8 year expiration lifetime of the tires.

But here's the rub. The front wheels are what you feel through the steering wheel. It gives you feedback on how much control you have. If the fronts have more wear than the rear, you will drive more cautiously as you feel the car losing grip. Conversely, if there is more traction in the front tires, it will give you a false sense of control as you fishtail in the rear and not realize it. That's the reason why manufacturers recommend regularly rotation to keep the tires wearing evenly. If you can't do this, then keep the newer tires in the rear.

Thus, if I were you, I'd keep the Defenders in the rear and wear out those other tires in front as soon as possible so that you can replace with another pair of Defenders. Ask Costco to keep the next pair of Defenders in the front so it wears to the same level as the rear. Then rotate once a year afterwards.
Last edited by mmmodem on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Costco for me. i have low mileage too and I rotate once a year.

Although costco is free, I spend like 4 hours there just to rotate tires which I hate. They are a busy costco, i think all of them are.

fandango

Post by fandango » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:26 pm

My friend has a Suburban and has never rotated tires. The wear on the tires seems even, and he is getting good mileage out of them.

When the tread is low he buys 4 new tires on and runs them 50,000 and repeats.

thomase

Post by thomase » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:39 pm

I rotate once per year so the front and rear tires all wear evenly and wear out at the same time, I like to buy all 4 new tires when it's time for replacement. I just do it myself on the driveway, takes less than 15 minutes.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 pm

terran wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm
Discount Tire will rotate your tires for free regardless of where you bought them (obviously with the hope that you buy from them next time).
I bought mine from Belle Tire in MI which gives free rotation and rebalancing, not knowing I'd be relocating to TX soon. Do all Discount locations do this?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:30 pm

dm200 wrote:

Do it yourself, or just buy new tires as needed.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm

I never rotate tires on a front wheel drive car. Discount Tire recommends keeping the tires with more tread on the rear wheels. When my fronts wear out I move the rears up front and buy 2 new tires for the rear.

I rotate tires on a RWD vehicle every other oil change.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm

For 6k a year, just rotate tires once a year. Get your oil changed at the same time. Probably a $100 bill all in
Last edited by TxAg on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Thus, if I were you, I'd keep the Defenders in the rear and wear out those other tires in front as soon as possible so that you can replace with another pair of Defenders. Ask Costco to keep the next pair of Defenders in the front so it wears to the same level as the rear. Then rotate once a year afterwards.
+1

edvest

Post by edvest » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:51 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:54 pm
I only rotate them every 10K miles, regardless of how many months or years it takes to accumulate that many miles (although, if the tire rotation comes up near an oil change interval, I'll delay or move up one or the other so I can do both on the same day).

If you're only putting 5-6K miles/yr on your car, I would think rotating them every 2 years is plenty unless the tire warranty says otherwise.
Agreed ^

I've been do it yourselfing my tires for over thirty years. Never had a problem every ten thousand miles. I always rotate front to back on the same side. I buy from Costco but only rotated once there. They rotated counter clockwise, which, I guess fits a 5k mile strategy but places a already worst for wear front tire back on the front.

btw, Yes you have to wait a long time, which ultimately leads you going into the store and buying more crap you don't need. :oops:

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 pm

Rotate/Balance Q 5-6k miles. This last time 3 of the tires needed rebalancing. The previous time all 4 tires needed rebalancing. They were new before that. Put about 4k/yr on the tires.

Auto has full-time 4WD.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

terran

Post by terran » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:49 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 pm
terran wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm
I bought mine from Belle Tire in MI which gives free rotation and rebalancing, not knowing I'd be relocating to TX soon. Do all Discount locations do this?
All I can say is I saw it posted here, and it worked at the one local to me, so that's at least two separate locations that do.

Chip

Post by Chip » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:04 am

I rotate based on tread wear, not mileage. If the fronts (FWD car) have 1/32" less tread than the back, I rotate. I measure tread every 5k miles or so.

I just checked my Accord a few weeks ago, expecting to have to rotate. But all 4 tires had essentially the same amount of tread, despite 15k miles since the last rotation. So I didn't rotate.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:29 am

I had a bad experience with Tire Kingdom when I purchased a set of tires, then chose to have them do my routine lube and oil jobs with 'free' tire rotation. After about year something happened to make me question whether they were really doing it or not, so I marked the tires with a location identifier on the sidewall about 10 inches from the valve stem with a black ball point pen to see if they were, indeed, rotating the tires. Took the car in and the receipt indicated everything was done, including rotation. I checked the marked tires before leaving and found they were not rotated, so I brought up to the manager that the tires were NOT rotated as the receipt indicated. He blew me off saying "They didn't need it this time." I replied "Then why did you mark it as done?" His reply was "It's standard operating procedure, even if we don't do it, we mark it as done."

I called and emailed corporate headquarters, they never responded to my complaint.
I NEVER went back there again.

I suggest that you should mark your tires to see if you're not getting played.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 am

I have to step in and ask about our particular situation. 2018 Lexus ES-350, purchased in February 2018 as a result of the totaling of wife's 2017 ES-350, only has 1,200 miles and will be about 1,600 when it hits the one-year mark and is due for oil change and tire rotation according to Lexus.

Any comments as to how often to rotate tires with such limited annual mileage? Normally about 4,500 miles per year prior to this accident.
Tom D.

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 am

tomd37 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 am
Any comments as to how often to rotate tires with such limited annual mileage? Normally about 4,500 miles per year prior to this accident.
In your situation I wouldn't pay to rotate until about 10,000 miles. If rotation is "free", then there's no harm, of course.

With such low annual mileage you will likely replace the tires due to age well before the tread wears out. So you would probably be okay not rotating them at all.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:13 am

If the tires are more than five years old, some service companies may refuse to work on them, including rotation, balancing, flat repairs, etc. because the typical warranty is worthless after five years.

A Consumer Report article indicates that tire warranties are basically worthless because the tire shop can almost always find something that will void the warranty. One obvious example: tires not perfectly worn.

praxis

Post by praxis » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Two of our cars have Cooper tires bought from a local store that includes lifetime rotation. I've been following their 5K guidelines. Last visit I asked the owner about rotation. He said it can almost double the life of your tires. When I sounded skeptical, he said that he'd held the contract with the local police, sheriff and highway patrol cars for several years and he can't get them to stop by for their free rotations. As a result, he sells them many more tires.

The first ones to wear out are the left side because of the frequent U-turns to catch speeders, he said. He told me that the actual contract is with Firestone, and he is the designated dealer who services the contract. He makes very little margin on the tires, but it's in his contract with Firestone to service these customers.

He really didn't have an incentive to stretch the truth that I could see. And his family's owned this tire business for decades. I will keep rotating. One of our cars barely makes 3K/year. The other, closer to 20K/year.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 pm

I rotate with each oil change. Usually spring and fall.

I use full synthetic oil and go up to 8k if we drove a lot between an oil change. Usually closer to 6k.

Rotating the tires keeps them wearing "in sync" and can extend the life of the tires.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:28 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm
HueyLD wrote:
We only got 2 at Costco a year ago. I thought to get the free rotation - you had to buy all four (we did on other car). I will check to see if we have the deal for only 2.

Thanks.
Key point, if you have 2 pairs of varying ages, rotation is more important because you don't want to further exaggerate the wear difference if you deal with any type of winter weather. For example, if rear tires are significantly more worn than the front you may have fishtail issues.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:30 pm

I usually rotate around 20k. Too much hassle with questionable benefit to do more frequently.. I rarely drive over 65 mph and I am a defensive driver. So I doubt I am risking much in safety by doing this..

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:33 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:28 pm
dm200 wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Thanks.
Key point, if you have 2 pairs of varying ages, rotation is more important because you don't want to further exaggerate the wear difference if you deal with any type of winter weather. For example, if rear tires are significantly more worn than the front you may have fishtail issues.
Yes - if I had the newer tires (now on the rear) moved to the front - then the rear tires would be more worn than the front.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:38 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:33 pm
MichCPA wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:28 pm
dm200 wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Thanks.
Yes - if I had the newer tires (now on the rear) moved to the front - then the rear tires would be more worn than the front.
How much more worn? With your yearly mileage I would assume it isn't much?? If you are pulling into a dealership or quick lube for an oil change, the service manager would probably be able to give you an honest take on this because its not a huge profit center. Maybe they would tell you to wait until spring?

Retired2013

Post by Retired2013 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Wife drives about 3k per year. At the annual car inspection, I have the oil changed (tires are rotated for free). One stop per year.

Tire shop where tires were purchased will also rotate for free.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:12 pm

How much more worn? With your yearly mileage I would assume it isn't much?? If you are pulling into a dealership or quick lube for an oil change, the service manager would probably be able to give you an honest take on this because its not a huge profit center. Maybe they would tell you to wait until spring?
There is about 5,000 miles on the new rear tires. The tread depth on the newer rear tires seems to be about double the depth on the older front tires.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:53 pm

I rotate tires every oil change, for example, at 6,000 miles on the forester and rotate as recommended in owners manual. Start the process using the spare tire as placeholder until done. This is also a good time to check tire pressure and wheel condition and clean the back of the wheels. All done with a cheap harbor freight jack and Tekton torque wrench to spec. Takes less time than taking to Costco, about 1/2 hr, and I know that some gorilla didn't grossly over tighten the lug nuts.