Washing machine/dryer shopping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catscadia

Washing machine/dryer shopping

Post by catscadia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm on the younger end of the spectrum, so this would be my first time buying either. Been renting a townhouse with washer/dryer hookups for 6 months, and just renewed the lease for another 12. Tired of wasting $10 every week using the apartment complex shared laundromat. Since I just renewed my lease I think now would be a good time to invest in a washing machine/dryer of my own. Should I buy new or used? If the former, how do I score the best deal? And what brands should I be looking at?

Carter3

Re: Washing machine/dryer shopping

Post by Carter3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Buy New

robphoto

Post by robphoto » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:11 pm

You could get the online subscription to Consumer Reports and read their commentary and recommendations.

In my experience, the basic old-style top loading washer and standard dryers are least expensive and most reliable, though a front loading washer uses less water (but often runs a very long cycle).

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I would buy used. Depending on your area, you can find some great deals on hardly used high-end units.

workoutexcite

Post by workoutexcite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Wait for Black Friday. Lowe’s and Home Depot will have great deals.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Catscadia - Side by side units or stacked units?
Tom D.

Rienzi

Post by Rienzi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:53 pm

I've always heard good things about Speed Queen. Not the fanciest, but well built with nice warranty.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Based on current personal experience with Speed Queen washer and dryer, and based on fifty-one years of experience with top and front loading and agitator and non-agitator top loaders, I can vouch for Speed Queen. More expensive than some top loaders (and less than others) it is the best top loader we have had since our first Lady Kenmore back in 1967. SQ's are more like commercial units (think laundromat) and you will not find Consumer Report ratings on them.
Tom D.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:28 pm

I would buy used. You can get a set for $200 all day long on Craigslist. If you buy new, look for ones with the fewest features and fewer things that will break. Personally, I only want a washer that will allow me to 1) change the water temperature; 2): change the water fill amount; 3) change the agitation speed from regular to delicate cycle. That's it. Nothing fancy.

Post by 123 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:43 pm

There are electric and gas dryer options. Does your dryer hookup have a gas connection or is it electric only? Gas dryers are normally less expensive to operate than electric dryers. I think we're assuming your hookups accommodate side-by-side rather than a stacked washer-dryer unit.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Do you have a lot of money or in debt up to your eyeballs broke?

Topic Author
catscadia

Post by catscadia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:47 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 pm
Catscadia - Side by side units or stacked units?
There's space for side by side, and the dryer will have to be electric.

For the above poster, I don't have much debt ($5,500 student loan) but I'm not swimming in cash either. I have a $3,000 emergency fund, $1,500 in checking. So I don't think I'm in a position to buy an expensive speed queen machine.

Thanks for the input, all.
Last edited by catscadia on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Consumer Reports reviewed the newest Speed Queen washer and gave it a 31 out of 100 - i.e. poor - review, said it did a poor job of cleaning clothes. I looked at The Wirecutter and they posted this article - Speed Queen: The Life (and Death) of Internet Commenters’ Favorite Washing Machine - in August. In the article, the author talks to a long time Speed Queen retailer and fan who was so extremely disappointed with the performance of the 2018 Speed Queen model that he posted a YouTube video critiquing it. Needless to say, Speed Queen was NOT happy with him.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:54 pm

catscadia wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:04 pm
I'm on the younger end of the spectrum, so this would be my first time buying either. Been renting a townhouse with washer/dryer hookups for 6 months, and just renewed the lease for another 12. Tired of wasting $10 every week using the apartment complex shared laundromat. Since I just renewed my lease I think now would be a good time to invest in a washing machine/dryer of my own. Should I buy new or used? If the former, how do I score the best deal? And what brands should I be looking at?
You're in a rental unit. If you buy a washer/dryer ($700-$1000ish), what will you do w/ them if you move?

if I were in an apartment again, I'd consider something like this. Maybe not this exact model, but.....

For whites etc, may need to hit laundromat, but for other items, not so. I don't dry a lot of items anymore (barring towels/socks etc) as it shortens the lifespan.

YMMV, this isn't for everyone, but for a young person in an apartment.....
-
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Based on your financial position I would get the cheapest set I could find on craigslist or garage sales. Even then I'm not sure you should be buying at this point. Keep saving your money until you are in a stronger financial position.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:32 am

Buy used. New washers and dryers are junk. We use a 25 year old set and I will delay buying something new for as long as possible. My personal opinion is that in general the quality of workmanship has decreased, but also that all the energy efficient features they're now required to have make them last a shorter time and do a poorer job of cleaning and drying your clothes. I do not want a washer to determine how much water I use--I want to decide.

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 am

Wow if this doesn't spill out my situation to a T as well...

Appreciate the post OP and the feedback received.

I'm paying roughly the same, $10 a week for laundromat, or I could rent for $40 a month.

The three options I'm going to further evaluate
1) Going to buy new if there's an awesome deal for Black Friday
2) Buy used off craigslist
3) Rent $40 a month.

EDIT: After reviewing the portable washer that was linked, I'm going to get that and air dry my clothes. Absolutely brilliant post!!!
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

TSR

Post by TSR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:23 am

Buy used. Spend $200. Realistically you are likely going to be leaving whatever you buy there once you move (with the permission of the landlord, who will be happy to let you do it). Just get a fairly low end model that washes clothes without much more. Be prepared to transport the things (rent a pickup at Home Depot or whatever).

Good luck!

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 am

A lot of posters commented on buying used, but nobody asked you what your clothes are like. That's what I would consider the #1 consideration.

If your clothes are higher maintenance (only you can answer this), there will be a definite benefit to buying new for peace of mind. Personally, I went with set of basic LG washer/dryer in your exact position 5 years ago. They are still going strong after having moved 4 times.

Which brings us to the next issue: What to do with the washer/dryer when you move? They are still a pain whether you buy new/used, and that if you decide to leave them (assuming used), you are responsible for figuring out how to properly dispose of the units.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Consider asking your landlord if he will add them. Tell him you are willing to pay $20/month more on rent (or whatever you are willing to pay).

It will take a while to break even if you buy new. The problem with buying used is the delivery. You'll need to ask the seller to deliver, which they may not. If you can find someone to deliver, I'd look for a pre-90's Maytag. They were built well and you would likely only need to replace a belt, drum wheels, or a heat element. All of these things are easy to do if you have some basic tools and are willing to watch a YouTube video. If you don't think you can do some basic repairs, I'd probably buy new and have it delivered. Just figure out your breakeven point first.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 pm

If you are going to buy new, Black Friday usually has great deals on washer/dryers, but many are not in stock. It could take several weeks for your order to be delivered. I bought an LG set last BF and I didn't get it until February. Next time, I will only buy in stock sets. Speaking of LG, I'm not buying it again. I'm on my second set. The dryer is poorly designed and doesn't trap lint at all. I had to resort to supergluing several fishing weights to the lint screen to keep it from popping up while in use and yes, I do make sure it is inserted correctly. It is a common issue. They are also expensive to repair, and you will be repairing them sooner or later. My research indicated that Samsung was pretty similar. I think I will go with Electrolux next time, which was my first pick but the LG was less than half the price at the time.

You also need to carefully measure the area you intend to keep it. We were really limited in choices because a door opens too close to the washer and it seems that everyone makes super deep washers now, especially ones that are large enough to wash king sized sheets and blankets.

I see a lot of ads for people selling sets that are relatively new but the sellers got transferred and chose not to move the with them. If there is an "executive" subdivision within driving range of you, I would check their Facebook page to see if anyone is selling anything.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:17 pm

After seeing this, I wouldn't buy Samsung..

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... ad_washer/

arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:23 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:54 pm
catscadia wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:04 pm
You're in a rental unit. If you buy a washer/dryer ($700-$1000ish), what will you do w/ them if you move?

if I were in an apartment again, I'd consider something like this. Maybe not this exact model, but.....

For whites etc, may need to hit laundromat, but for other items, not so. I don't dry a lot of items anymore (barring towels/socks etc) as it shortens the lifespan.

YMMV, this isn't for everyone, but for a young person in an apartment.....
-
Looks ok, but there’s the issue of wringing the excess water out of the clothes afterwards.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:34 pm

New
Check Lowes.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:49 pm

If you are in an apartment complex with washer dryer hookups, is there a way to let your fellow apartment dwellers know you are interested in purchasing a unit? A bulletin board, facebook community or talking to the leasing office? Seems likely that there may be others moving out who do not want to take their wash/dryer with them.

calisoldier83

Post by calisoldier83 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:24 pm

I bought Speed Queen a few years back. I bought off Amazon and it was a horrible experience. You have to buy it locally for the warranty. I had a few issues and they weren't handled properly. YMMV, but definitely buy locally and make sure the shop is highly rated. If I could do it over, I would've went with local big box with a warranty.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm

How about an electric portable washer? It hooks up to your bathroom sink faucet and drains into your bathtub. Get a dolly to wheel it around, if you don't have the space to keep it in your bathroom. Our adult kid has a Haier. It works great, holds quite a bit of laundry, definitely large enough if you don't have children. And if you use the gentle cycle, it's very fast. Spin cycle gently removes the water very well. The kid drys clothing by hanging it on a rack and uses the apartment coin op dryer for towels and bedding. And when you move, it's easy to take with you.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1-0-Cu ... N/13346456

And watch owner demos on YouTube! :happy
Last edited by wstrdg on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

corysold

Post by corysold » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 pm

If I could suggest anything, it would be to get a washer with a vertical agitator. The wash plates in the newer models don't work very well, despite what reviews suggest.

I'd also get a unit that allows for custom fill options, allowing you to fill the tub fully. Washing clothes in a small amount of water with a wash plate doesn't work very well.

A440

Post by A440 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:44 pm

veritas et virtus wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:53 pm
I've always heard good things about Speed Queen. Not the fanciest, but well built with nice warranty.
+1
They are on the expensive side.
I bought used appliances for my rentals and they were fine. Many older units hold up better than the new models that are planned for obsolescence.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Speed Queens are workhorses, but they shake & are noisy (they are not well insulated). They would be OK for a garage/basement. They are problematic in a multi-story wood building- your downstairs neighbor will complain, with good reason. I bought, then exchanged, a Speed Queen washer a year ago. (It came from a local appliance store, & they were nice about the exchange)
Last edited by RetiredArtist on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goaties

Post by goaties » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Definitely, if you are a single person, you might get by with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Prod ... 01ICBLBL0/

It will weigh 25 lbs. so you can easily move it to your next destination. No, you won't be able to wash a quilt or rugs in it, but you can go the laundromat once every six months for that.

There are many on Amazon (and other places). They do spin the water out of the clothes.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:01 pm

get a used kenmore elite direct drive washer and dryer at a fraction of the price of those fancy pants washers and dryers that have a fraction of the durability of the old school kenmore elites

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Speed Queen top loader washer. Go for the mechanical switches. I don’t have a problem with mine that are electric but there’s always tomorrow. Get the dryer too and forget about it washer/dryer problems afaic. Never had a problem. Plus, they’re made in the good ol’ USA.

My Kenmore super elite super efficient super important front loader had a small leak while I was gone and managed to leak enough that I had to replace part of the ceiling in my garage. My kenmore dryer’s cheap handle broke and I’ve managed to super glue it on for now. Since I’m trying to follow a Bogleheads approach to life and live below my means I haven’t replaced it yet. But I’m waiting for the day. Oh, and it has more buttons on it than the cockpit of an airplane. Really Kenmore? I’m drying my clothes, not preparing for takeoff with 230 people on board.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:50 pm

I bought a used Maytag set a few years ago on Craigslist for $350--only 3 years old. The sellers were relocating and their new house already had similar machines. No regrets with my purchase.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:48 pm

I've been thinking about buying a new washer and dryer. Now I think I won't. This thread has saved me a lot of money. Thanks.

My large capacity Kenmore washer and gas dryer have been completely reliable since I bought them in 1986. I did replace the squeaky idler/tensioner thingy on the dryer belt in 1997, but that's it. Oh, and the plastic handle on the lint screen has been cracked since 1990, but I'll get around to it soon.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:49 am

RetiredArtist wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 pm
Speed Queens are workhorses, but they shake & are noisy (they are not well insulated). They would be OK for a garage/basement. They are problematic in a multi-story wood building- your downstairs neighbor will complain, with good reason. I bought, then exchanged, a Speed Queen washer a year ago. (It came from a local appliance store, & they were nice about the exchange) The new ones are ridiculously big and fancy.
My understanding is that Speed Queen within the last 1-2 years has made changes to their models. Many longtime Speed Queen fans aren't happy judging by posts, and the reviews haven't been kind. There's even a few dealers who have posted around various places about why they stopped carrying them after the recent changes. Who knows though. There's plenty of positive recommendations for them, so maybe look for a used one that's slightly older?

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:49 am

brajalle wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:49 am
RetiredArtist wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 pm
Speed Queens are workhorses, but they shake & are noisy (they are not well insulated). They would be OK for a garage/basement. They are problematic in a multi-story wood building- your downstairs neighbor will complain, with good reason. I bought, then exchanged, a Speed Queen washer a year ago. (It came from a local appliance store, & they were nice about the exchange) The new ones are ridiculously big and fancy.
My understanding is that Speed Queen within the last 1-2 years has made changes to their models. Many longtime Speed Queen fans aren't happy judging by posts, and the reviews haven't been kind. There's even a few dealers who have posted around various places about why they stopped carrying them after the recent changes. Who knows though. There's plenty of positive recommendations for them, so maybe look for a used one that's slightly older?
Read Amazon reviews (2018 was a bad year for Speed Queen)!
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:49 am

Buy new.
Speed Queen rocks!
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 am

We purchased fairly recently. The salesman stated that new washers and dryers were not equal to older ones and recommended we consider minor repairs. He said that the metal was thinner and that they had problems with dents on arriving items in the store. He also said that ones with agitators were preferable and said the same for top loaders. He also said that the focus today was on appearance and designer colors and to compare simple, white machines with colored ones. Basically, he said to purchase inexpensive ones, that they were all made by a very few of the same manufacturers and did not last but several years unless used sparingly. One of the most open salesmen ever, but, hey, it was a Sear's store! :happy
Purchased Kenmore, by the way, for less than $1,000 total.

Tim