Mint Mobile feedback

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LSLover

Mint Mobile feedback

Post by LSLover » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Those who have experience with Mint Mobile, do you like the service? How would you compare it to others?

UniversityEmployee9

Re: Mint Mobile feedback

Post by UniversityEmployee9 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I have used it for over a year and like it. Be sure that you have decent T-Mobile coverage where you live or a phone that is capable of using Wi-Fi calling.

Some people prefer using the Verizon or AT&T network via Red Pocket (search on Ebay to find annual rate deals), but you won't get Wi-Fi calling with Red Pocket. Then again, you may not need Wi-Fi calling, as those two networks are more extensive than T-Mobile's.

tri-james

Post by tri-james » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Used the 2GB plan for a year and was completely satisfied - about $15 a month. MintSim is T-mobile only and is pretty good in the Austin, TX area. It does not roam so be aware of that.

After the year (last month) I switched to Red Pocket 5GB plan - Red Pocket is a reseller for all carriers - i selected AT&T because it has slightly better coverage here - there was an eBay coupon so it brought the total to ~$210 for the year (about $17 a month). Once again no roaming but I do not notice any dead spots.

Also completely satisfied.

I use an android phone but I believe the Red Pocket AT&T does not do MMS messages on the iPhone.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:23 pm

I've had the 5GB plan for over a year. I paid $250 out the door (including fees/taxes) for a year. It has worked very well for the most part. I've had a couple areas where the internet was really slow. And I'm talking about in a busy area with normally good coverage. I repeatedly had slow speeds (like .5 Mbps). Blocks from this area, it worked fine. I complained and they gave me the runaround which I didn't like. Long story short, they said my phone wasn't "entirely" compatible. Well, I told them I put my IMEI in and it said it was, they said to read the fine print. :shock: I renewed as I don't go to that location anymore, but there have been a few other times I've had slow data service. In retrospect I should have borrowed a phone to shoot down their story as I'm sure it wasn't my phone. I imagine Mint customers on T-Mobile go to the end of the line in congested times/areas.

I use Google Voice, so I don't really use their texting or VM.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:23 pm
You might, or should. You have unlimited voice if you use the voice minutes. Otherwise, you're using up your data. It might not be much if you don't exceed your monthly allowance, but if you're going over, it might make the difference.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:23 pm
You might, or should. You have unlimited voice if you use the voice minutes. Otherwise, you're using up your data. It might not be much if you don't exceed your monthly allowance, but if you're going over, it might make the difference.
I use Mint for voice calls. I don't use their texting or voicemail. That (GV) doesn't use much data.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm

I have the 2GB service and find it completely adequate. I found it marginally more expensive than Tello for my needs, but the hassle of worrying about overages with Tello was not worth the $1-2/mo. in expected savings relative to Mint.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am

My wife has been with it for a year and found it fine. As a result, I just signed up. I'm a little worried about the 2 GB data limit (on the $15 plan), but we'll see. I'm usually right around 2 - 2.5 GB / month ...

Initial experience suggests that what michael wrote above is right: you go to the end of the t-mobile line when things get congested. I've been with t-mobile and am comparing use cases pretty directly.That's fine for half the price!

Like unlimited calling, like pay for a year at once.

Signup and transfer was easy. Note that you can almost always avoid the $5 sim charge.

Topic Author
LSLover

Post by LSLover » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 am

AnonJohn wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am
My wife has been with it for a year and found it fine. As a result, I just signed up. I'm a little worried about the 2 GB data limit (on the $15 plan), but we'll see. I'm usually right around 2 - 2.5 GB / month ...

Initial experience suggests that what michael wrote above is right: you go to the end of the t-mobile line when things get congested. I've been with t-mobile and am comparing use cases pretty directly.That's fine for half the price!

Signup and transfer was easy. Note that you can almost always avoid the $5 sim charge.
How do you avoid the $5 SIM card charge?

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am

I would wait a few months they are in the middle of a "massive upgrade" with known technical issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/

I tried to recently sign up for this and they sent me a SIM card with an activation code that did not work. After several tries 4 calls to customer service and days to resolve the issue, I could not get the SIM card to activate. Requested a refund and moved a different provider that had smooth activation.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 am

In addition to my comments above, one thing I don't like is the pricing is such that it is much cheaper (at least % wise) to buy for a whole year. That locks you in if things go south. I thought of doing the 3 months to avoid a long lock-in period, but it was $20/mo vs. $30/mo (5 GB plan) so I just went with the year.

One thing to note is their international data roaming is extremely expensive. I am going to Europe in a couple weeks and bought a sim for that as their data was 20 cents per MB. That is over $200 per GB!

BiggerFishToFI

Post by BiggerFishToFI » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:00 am

Switched from Verizon to Mint Mobile a couple months ago with the 3 month 2GB $15/mo plan. It has been great, although I have been running out of data. I plan to go to the $20/mo 5GB plan for a year when my 3 months is up.

Works great in a mid-sized city, service is worse than Verizon up in the mountains (but I don't want to be reached on my phone when I am up there anyway!)

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 am

No issues here. 2GB is enough data for me. Cut my bill in half.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:19 am

Until recently, I was using their 10GB plan as my sole internet. Obviously that is a bit of overkill now that I have internet at home, but I have been very happy with it and even the 10GB plan is less than my husband's Virgin Mobile. He just isn't ready for a new phone.

Beach

Post by Beach » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 pm

My wife and I have the 10GB plan each. We cut our bill from $110 with AT&T to $50 with Mint. We prepay for the entire year ($300 x 2). Our phones (iphone SE and iphone 7) were owned by us prior to getting Mint. The setup was a little weird, having to go into the settings, but we figured it out.

Pros: Obviously cheaper, same call quality, same internet speed
Cons: Weird text issues (not everybody can get pics - still an issue), group texting was not working for awhile (seems to be fixed), VM notification was non existent (seems to be fixed as I get updates to VM).

Overall, for the price, it was worth it to have some headaches (wife might disagree). Most of the cons listed above have been corrected with their latest updates. We have also been told to ensure our iOs was updated to latest version but I refuse to do that until they release the 2nd iteration of iOs 12.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:53 pm

LSLover wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 am
AnonJohn wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am

How do you avoid the $5 SIM card charge?
They routinely run deals / promo codes. Once you have their cookies, I keep seeing ads. Right now retailmenot says the code is "IRFREESHIP"?

They actually shipped me two free sims when I ordered mine, to give away. Live near DC? :)

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:15 am

I recently switched from T-Mobile to Mint Mobile and have thus far been very happy and impressed.

Details:

T-Mobile (old plan): 2 lines, unlimited data 110 a month.
Mint Mobile: 2 lines sharing 8 GB data. We took advantage of the current promo and spent around $50 for the next 3 months. We have the option of then buying a year worth of the 8 GB (4G) service for both lines $480.

The savings is quiet remarkable ($1320 vs $480). While I doubt we would hit the 8GB mark, it is nice knowing that if you go over you won't be charged extra but instead be throttled back.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm

I just switched 2 iPhones with AT&T to Mint, one on the 3GB plan and the other on the 8GB plan commensurate with past use. On AT&T we paid about $120/month (wife gets a 25% discount though her work w/AT&T). With Mint I paid up front ~$420 for 12 months. That is a savings of over $1000 per year. I feel like an idiot I didn't do it sooner.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:36 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm
I just switched 2 iPhones with AT&T to Mint, one on the 3GB plan and the other on the 8GB plan commensurate with past use. On AT&T we paid about $120/month (wife gets a 25% discount though her work w/AT&T). With Mint I paid up front ~$420 for 12 months. That is a savings of over $1000 per year. I feel like an idiot I didn't do it sooner.
I completely understand.

Mass marketing has led us all to believe we need unlimited data. If people actually sat down and researched their monthly usage, they would be shocked. We barely averaged a combined 3GB a month for 2 lines. However because Mint is so affordable we both went for the 8GB plan. Still $70 a month cheaper.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm

It looks like Mint Mobile is offering a great deal right now - $20 for 8GB for 3 months to try out the service (so around $7/month). After 3 months, there is the option to buy another 12 months for $240. I’m thinking of switching from Cricket Wireless.

The cost with Cricket for 2 lines for 15 months with 5 GB/month would be: $1050 ($35 x 2 lines x 15 months)
The cost for Mint Mobile for 2 lines for 15 months with 8 GB/month would be: $520 ($20 x 2 lines for 3 months) + ($20 x 2 lines x 12 months)

Sorry for the amateur question, but how does one initiate the process to switch providers? We would want to keep our current phones and phone numbers. I checked on the Mint Mobile website and it says our phones are compatible. Both my wife and I have an iPhone 6s that we originally purchased from Cricket Wireless a few years ago. We paid for the cost of the phones upfront. I believe our phones are locked but not sure.

Also, what happens if you lose or damage the phone shortly after prepaying for a 12-month plan? Basically, is it risky to buy too many months up front?

DarthEnol

Post by DarthEnol » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

I have two lines with Mint. No complaints.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm
It looks like Mint Mobile is offering a great deal right now - $20 for 8GB for 3 months to try out the service (so around $7/month). After 3 months, there is the option to buy another 12 months for $240. I’m thinking of switching from Cricket Wireless.

The cost with Cricket for 2 lines for 15 months with 5 GB/month would be: $1050 ($35 x 2 lines x 15 months)
The cost for Mint Mobile for 2 lines for 15 months with 8 GB/month would be: $520 ($20 x 2 lines for 3 months) + ($20 x 2 lines x 12 months)

Sorry for the amateur question, but how does one initiate the process to switch providers? We would want to keep our current phones and phone numbers. I checked on the Mint Mobile website and it says our phones are compatible. Both my wife and I have an iPhone 6s that we originally purchased from Cricket Wireless a few years ago. We paid for the cost of the phones upfront. I believe our phones are locked but not sure.

Also, what happens if you lose or damage the phone shortly after prepaying for a 12-month plan? Basically, is it risky to buy too many months up front?
That is the same deal we took advantage of.

You aren't the one to initial the process to switch providers. Mint Mobile has some informative You Tube videos on their site that will walk you through the process.

After we received our Mint Mobile activation Card and SIM, we were instructed to visit their site to activate it. Once you put in your activation code, the next screen will ask if you want to port over your existing number. Once you click on that button, you will need to provide your phone number, (Cricket) Account number and PIN/Password. Once you enter everything it will begin porting your number in the background, while that is happening you'll be prompted with screens to create your own account. It will then alert you if your number was brought over successfully.

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. Also if you truly are interested, I can send you a referral link. My feelings won't be hurt if you choose not to do this. That's the benefit of this service already being so cheap!

Also, one minor downside is that you will need two different accounts for your two lines. There isn't an option to have one account for multiple lines.

Best of luck.

Topic Author
LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:51 pm

I have tried Mint and really wanted to like it. But had a major (for me) issue with MMS/Group texts. It just did not work. When a group texts were sent by me to others they were not delivered to any of my group recipients. Other than that, it was working fine.

I am a pretty advanced gadget guy. Can get most issues solved without technical support but not in this case. I bought a brand new recent model Samsung smartphone, changed all required settings as the support videos and instructions recommend, then spent literally hours upon hours on the phone with the Mint support, went thru my issues with many customer support agents and a few supervisors. And all of it to no avail. Most of them are helpless and can only resolve very simple problems.

After spending three days working on getting things straight, I gave up...
Last edited by LSLover on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm
If you lose the phone with the sim card in it, you just have to order a new sim card and put it in another unlocked compatible phone. If the phone breaks, you just take the sim card out and put it in another unlocked compatible phone.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks for the info. I’m considering switching but not totally sure. Group text messaging not working would be a problem for us. Has anyone else encountered the same issues as LSLover of group texts not going through?

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm
Thanks for the info. I’m considering switching but not totally sure. Group text messaging not working would be a problem for us. Has anyone else encountered the same issues as LSLover of group texts not going through?
At first my messages to the group were sent individually. However after a quick search I found that my mms settings just needed reconfigured. Now works correctly on my Moto g5.

This is not to dismiss LSLovers issues as it is a risk you may run into.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm

SagaciousTraveler wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm
At first my messages to the group were sent individually. However after a quick search I found that my mms settings just needed reconfigured. Now works correctly on my Moto g5.

This is not to dismiss LSLovers issues as it is a risk you may run into.
Thanks, I'm considering it and sent you a pm as well. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my questions.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

LSLover wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:51 pm
I have tried Mint and really wanted to like it. But had a major (for me) issue with MMS/Group texts. It just did not work. When a group texts were sent by me to others they were not delivered to any of my group recipients. Other than that, it was working fine.

I am a pretty advanced gadget guy. Can get most issues solved without technical support but not in this case. I bought a brand new recent model Samsung smartphone, changed all required settings as the support videos and instructions recommend, then spent literally hours upon hours on the phone with the Mint support, went thru my issues with many customer support agents and a few supervisors. And all of it to no avail. Most of them are helpless and can only resolve very simple problems.

After spending three days working on getting things straight, I gave up...
We had similar issues with the texting. However, they had an update a few months ago which seemed to clear everything up. Not sure how long ago you gave up but we haven't had any issues lately.