Hulu & NBC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
catdude

Hulu & NBC

Post by catdude » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Hi there Bogleheads -

I'm currenlty a couple days into a free 7-day trial of Hulu. I'm enjoying it a lot... I especially like that I can stream sports on my Echo Show. Pretty groovy.

Here's the problem: Hulu doesn't carry NBC. (Neither do Sling TV or Playstation Vue... I checked). I wanted to watch the Sunday night NFL game, so I went with Plan B -- I tried out my OTA antenna, attached to my TV. At first the picture quality was fine, but then it started getting garbled. Eventually it got to be really atrocious, totally unwatchable.

So I don't know what to do. I like watching the Sunday night football games, plus NBC has some golf tournaments that I really enjoy (Players Championship, British Open, Ryder Cup). The lack of NBC is potentially a show-stopper for Hulu, unless I can come up with a way of streaming/watching that network. Anybody have any ideas?
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

DSInvestor

Re: Hulu & NBC

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Hulu has NBC tv shows but not sports.
Wiki

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Is YouTubeTV available where you are? Another option that could work is Locast, again depending on where you are. Final option is setting up the antenna in a better location.

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:54 pm

We have been using Hulu with Live TV for about 90 days. If you are a fan of the NFL, it really leaves much to be desired. Frequently games that are supposed to be available in our area cannot be seen. And like you, Sunday night NFL games cannot be seen either. To solve the NBC NFL Sunday night problem, I bought an $11 antenna and it added 23 channels including our local NBC and CBS affiliates. Beyond trying a different antenna, I don’t know what else to recommend. Overall, I believe Hulu with Live TV is best described as “not ready for primetime.” There are too many glitches and often the tedious search for programs that you know are supposed to be available simply cannot be found. It’s my understanding this product is still considered in “beta” and it needs some improvement before I would recommend it to friend or family. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:07 am

stlutz wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 pm
Is YouTubeTV available where you are? Another option that could work is Locast, again depending on where you are. Final option is setting up the antenna in a better location.
YouTubeTV is available in Portland, but sad to say, not here in Central Oregon. Tough buns, I guess...

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:12 am

dccboone wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:54 pm
We have been using Hulu with Live TV for about 90 days. If you are a fan of the NFL, it really leaves much to be desired. Frequently games that are supposed to be available in our area cannot be seen. And like you, Sunday night NFL games cannot be seen either. To solve the NBC NFL Sunday night problem, I bought an $11 antenna and it added 23 channels including our local NBC and CBS affiliates. Beyond trying a different antenna, I don’t know what else to recommend. Overall, I believe Hulu with Live TV is best described as “not ready for primetime.” There are too many glitches and often the tedious search for programs that you know are supposed to be available simply cannot be found. It’s my understanding this product is still considered in “beta” and it needs some improvement before I would recommend it to friend or family. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
This reminds me, in additon to my troubles with NBC on Hulu, I also had some trouble with the CBS broadcast of the Rams - 49ers game. I wanted to watch the live broadcast (starting in the 3rd quarter), but Hulu insisted on showing me the recorded version (starting in the 1st quarter). Quite frustrating. Yeah, maybe they're not ready for prime time.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 am

What does antennaweb.org tell you about the OTA signal strength at your address?

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 am
What does antennaweb.org tell you about the OTA signal strength at your address?
It tells me that I'm 3 miles away from the NBC tower, the same distance as for the Fox, CBS, ABC towers. My reception for those other networks is fine.

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 am

It looks like I've resolved my OTA/NBC problem. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just had to fiddle a bit with the location of my basic flat panel antenna. Previously it had been resting on the TV shelf, with a partially obstructed path to the local broadcast towers. Now it's dangling from the shelf, with a clear path to the towers. :oops: :oops: :oops: My reception of the local NBC station is just fine now.

Sorry, I got y'all worked up for nothing... :mrgreen:

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am

catdude wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 am
It looks like I've resolved my OTA/NBC problem. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just had to fiddle a bit with the location of my basic flat panel antenna. Previously it had been resting on the TV shelf, with a partially obstructed path to the local broadcast towers. Now it's dangling from the shelf, with a clear path to the towers. :oops: :oops: :oops: My reception of the local NBC station is just fine now.

Don't feel bad. I was assistant chief engineer at the local ABC affiliate during the digital transition, and later the chief engineer up until retirement, and I cannot tell you how many calls I took from folks having difficulty receiving our signal whose problems were cleared up by fixing minor antenna issues of one sort or another. I could do a seminar on the variety of calls I took. You fixed it yourself, so you would have been my hero. :sharebeer
It tells me that I'm 3 miles away from the NBC tower, the same distance as for the Fox, CBS, ABC towers. My reception for those other networks is fine.
This is not at all uncommon. I heard the same thing from a lot of callers. In fact I used to have an antenna on a pole at my own home that would only receive two of the "big three" stations in town (ABC, NBC, CBS). Depending on which two I wanted to watch, I had to go outside, grab the pole, and rotate it slightly.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

stinkycat

Post by stinkycat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 pm

My directv now subscription has nbc.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Weird. I have Hulu Live and I get my local NBC station, no problem (including Sunday Night NFL games). Maybe it's a promotional thing?

For awhile when I scrolled through channels it showed my local NBC station under its call letters (W-something-something-something) in the alphabetical listing.

If Hulu doesn't work, go grab a digital antenna (good ones can be found for less than $100, which is a flat fee -- no subscription), and you should be able to watch NBC over the air easily.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

An alternative is https://www.directvnow.com
They also have free 7 day trial.

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Hulu TV also has a huge flaw in the way they air programs: it only plays for the allotted time slot; if the game goes long (e.g. over time), it just cuts off.
It doesn't have a conventional guide like the competition, that let you just play whatever is on a particular channel.

Youtube TV and DirecTV Now both have all the local channels.

I agree on the questionable reliability of an OTA antenna; planning to switch back to DTVNow and their $5/mo HBO.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Local channels are completely different depending on they city you are in.

The bigger the city, the more likely (just likely) to have all 4 locals included with your streaming package.

In our area (130k population), only Hulu Live TV has all 4 local networks. Sony Vue has 3 (no ABC). DirecTVNow has none. YouTubeTV has none, SlingTV and Philo don't offer locals here.

We have a roof Over-The-Air antenna and get fantastic reception. ~21 various locals, not all in HD.

Each package should allow you to search by Zip Code and see your locals available. Vue offers on demand ABC and we can authenticate all the individual apps for ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox with our Vue subscription.

It is a swamp to navigate. However, Dish and DirecTV would frequently spat over the locals and we would not always have the locals there either. Also, the two cable providers have had spats and not had some of the locals for blocks of times. Having the OTA antenna makes up for it.

I am going to look into the Amazon Fire DVR (OTA) when it releases. The price point is higher, but feature/functions look good for OTA recording.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:16 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm
Local channels are completely different depending on they city you are in.

The bigger the city, the more likely (just likely) to have all 4 locals included with your streaming package.

In our area (130k population), only Hulu Live TV has all 4 local networks. Sony Vue has 3 (no ABC). DirecTVNow has none. YouTubeTV has none, SlingTV and Philo don't offer locals here.
Good to know; didn't know it was region dependent!

As an aside: has anyone noticed the effects of abolishing Net Neutrality? Streaming services seem likely targets.

LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm

catdude wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 am

Yea, I was gonna say the signal doesn't normally degrade over time. Glad you got it figured out!