How often does Costco have the deals on 4 Michelin tires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

How often does Costco have the deals on 4 Michelin tires?

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:33 pm

At some point in the next 6-12 months (guess), we may want to replace 4 tires on our 2002 Camry. I notice that Costco seems to have a great periodic discount when you buy four Michelins ($70 off purchase PLUS $60 off if you use their Citicard).

Any idea if there is a regular schedule and how often this deal is available?

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Re: How often does Costco have the deals on 4 Michelin tires?

Post by General Disarray » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Costco seems to have sales on the Michelin tires every other month, although this is my estimate. (There is a sale going on now through October 28--$70 off four Michelin tires.) The sales seem to alterate monthly between Michelin and Bridgestone tires.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm

General Disarray wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm
Costco seems to have sales on the Michelin tires every other month, although this is my estimate. (There is a sale going on now through October 28--$70 off four Michelin tires.) The sales seem to alternate monthly between Michelin and Bridgestone tires.
That was my guess as well. I think we want the Michelin Defenders. I will get an estimate for the regular price at Costco of four Defenders and see how the $130 discount would work for the purchase. Two month intervals would next be December and February after that.

Post by 123 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:48 pm

General Disarray wrote:
Costco seems to have sales on the Michelin tires every other month, although this is my estimate. (There is a sale going on now through October 28--$70 off four Michelin tires.) The sales seem to alterate monthly between Michelin and Bridgestone tires.
+1 This is my recollection as well. I think the extra $60 off for using Costco Visa is a relatively new promoiton. Michelin Defenders are a top-rated by Consumer Reports tire that I've bought a couple of times and been very satisfied with.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:52 pm

The $60 Costco visa rebate replaces the 1 cent tire installation deal.
My signature has been deleted.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Price them at Discount Tire also, which has holiday promos, notably Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. Usually similar, if not better, then what you mentioned. Discount Tire credit card is Synchrony Bank, i.e. GE Finance.

Lifetime rotate and balance, free flat repair.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 pm

If you want to shop elsewhere, the "deal" is usually matched (or beaten) by competing tires shops around the same time. You'll get a $100 Visa gift card instead.

Costco's tire prices aren't actually all that great but I do like the road hazard warranty. All I do these days is buy Michelin from Costco when the time comes (every two years for my car, every 4-5 for our other vehicles.)

38,000 ft

Post by 38,000 ft » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm

I’d recommend Discount Tire over Costco any day of the week. I have had consistently poor experiences with Costco Tire centers and consistently good experiences with Discount Tire. I chalk it up to the fact that the tire center is kind of a minuscule side gig for Costco but it’s Discount Tire’s primary business.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 pm
If you want to shop elsewhere, the "deal" is usually matched (or beaten) by competing tires shops around the same time. You'll get a $100 Visa gift card instead.
Costco's tire prices aren't actually all that great but I do like the road hazard warranty. All I do these days is buy Michelin from Costco when the time comes (every two years for my car, every 4-5 for our other vehicles.)
Costco is very convenient - and seem not to nickel and dime you over road hazard warranties.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

One small gotcha with Costco - they will not install tires with a lower speed rating than the OEM tires.

In most cases this isn't an issue (if your car shipped with H or T rated tires, you have tons of options), but sometimes fairly sedate cars come with tires with high performance (V, W) speed ratings and the corresponding reduced lifetime.

Most independent shops are willing to apply common sense.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm

badger42 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm
One small gotcha with Costco - they will not install tires with a lower speed rating than the OEM tires.
In most cases this isn't an issue (if your car shipped with H or T rated tires, you have tons of options), but sometimes fairly sedate cars come with tires with high performance (V, W) speed ratings and the corresponding reduced lifetime.
Costco installed two Michelin Defenders on our other, older Camry - so I doubt it will be a problem.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am

They alternate the Michelin and Bridgestone coupons in their monthly coupon books which don't precisely match the calendar months. Mine just arrived in the mail yesterday and is valid from 10/31 through 11/26. It has the $70 off Bridgestone coupon in it so the next Michelin coupon will probably be in the December coupon book.

NOTE: You don't need the actual paper coupons to get the deal. You get it automatically if you buy during the coupon period.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 am

Every other coupon book as already mentioned. They alternate between Bridgestone and Michelin. I'm a fan of Bridgestone as I don't notice the quality premium of Michelin except in my wallet.

I'm also a fan of America's Tires as they offer the same prices as Costco with superior customer service and faster transaction times. I can't handle the lines and wait times at Costco.

America's Tires also allow me to buy the road hazard warranty after I have a claim. I've had two occasions where the tire was flat and couldn't be repaired. I was expecting to pay full price for a replacement. They just told me to buy the road hazard for that one tire and that will allow them to prorate me the replacement. I didn't ask them to do this. They just offered. And it happened on two separate occasions on two different cars and two different locations. After the proration and buying the tire warranty, I probably only saved $10-$20 over buying one new tire. No big deal to America's Tires but they've got a customer for life.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm
General Disarray wrote:
Costco seems to have sales on the Michelin tires every other month, although this is my estimate. (There is a sale going on now through October 28--$70 off four Michelin tires.) The sales seem to alternate monthly between Michelin and Bridgestone tires.
That was my guess as well. I think we want the Michelin Defenders. I will get an estimate for the regular price at Costco of four Defenders and see how the $130 discount would work for the purchase. Two month intervals would next be December and February after that.
If you will be driving in ice and snow this winter, it might be a better idea to buy the tires now, before the snow flies. Trying to get another month or two out of the old ones might be a false economy.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm

sport wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm
dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm
General Disarray wrote:
If you will be driving in ice and snow this winter, it might be a better idea to buy the tires now, before the snow flies. Trying to get another month or two out of the old ones might be a false economy.
Hard to tell (for me) just by looking - but seems like more than a month or two. The car will need an annual state safety inspection in December - so that will give an indication about the tires. We get some snow here -- but not the snow belt :)

Since these are the tires on the car when I bought it at the end of 2017, I don't know how old they are.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Most Tire shops all have the same sale going on, or I will do some kind of matching.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

sport

Post by sport » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm
Since these are the tires on the car when I bought it at the end of 2017, I don't know how old they are.
I believe there are date codes on tires.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:26 pm

sport wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm
I believe there are date codes on tires.
+1
Definitely check the date codes. Mom has a 2009 vehicle. I checked the date code on the tire and it was 2009. :oops: Nearly a decade old tires! Otherwise, the always garaged tire looks perfect with probably 4/32" remaining. They were the original Michelins that came on the vehicle when new. Still drove great but I replaced them with Bridgestone.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:21 pm

My wife just checked - over ten years old.

Plan on replacing all four this week. :happy

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Carmakers, tire makers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... tires.html

petulant

Post by petulant » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Tirerack.com is another good one for cheap tires. They ship to a local service provider who then installs for a nominal fee.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm

petulant wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm
Tirerack.com is another good one for cheap tires. They ship to a local service provider who then installs for a nominal fee.
It depends on where you live.

My local shops do not install tires you bought elsewhere.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm

The Costco by me has them on sale for $130 off right now. I bought a set of four for my Subaru last week. That was Carson City Nevada.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:51 pm

btenny wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm
The Costco by me has them on sale for $130 off right now. I bought a set of four for my Subaru last week. That was Carson City Nevada.
Yes - that is what, initially, prompted my post. My wife will get our tires replaced (and get the $130 discount) this week. :)

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm
petulant wrote:

I would be surprised if there were no installers in your area. Normally the online sales sites will provide a list.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:07 pm

If you know the size you want, you can search the web for that plus the manufacturer you want to get a good idea of prices. I recently got a couple of Goodyear tires from Amazon, then had my local garage install them.

IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:18 pm

If you want to take chances, Sears gives back $300 in points for auto services over $300. The points are $25 per month for a year. If sears survives you can get tires for next to nothing.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm
petulant wrote:

I would be surprised if there were no installers in your area. Normally the online sales sites will provide a list.
Granted I did not check with every single tire shop in my area, but I have no desire to drive to a location that's more than half an hour from my house.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:12 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:51 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm
Granted I did not check with every single tire shop in my area, but I have no desire to drive to a location that's more than half an hour from my house.
Did you go to an online tire sales site and see if there was a form for finding an installer close to you?

As an example, here is the installer location form for Tirerack:

https://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks for the link, Earl.

Unfortunately, the first two (closest to my house) that show up per the link do not install customers' own tires. In addition, both belong to the same franchise that I do not trust because they messed up my car and hid it well.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:02 pm

petulant wrote:
Nominal?

The closest Tire Rack installer to me will do so at an exorbitant fee. I simply bring the tires I bought from Tire Rack to NTB. Never an issue.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Take this as a lesson. When you bought your car in 2017 (apparently an 8 year old car), the tires were at end of life - 8 years. They had zero value, and for the last two years you have been driving on borrowed time.

Always check date codes on every car you buy, even a brand new one.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:48 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm
dm200 wrote:
Take this as a lesson. When you bought your car in 2017 (apparently an 8 year old car), the tires were at end of life - 8 years. They had zero value, and for the last two years you have been driving on borrowed time.
Lesson learned ..

Bought the car in December 2017 - so owned for a year. Did not check age of tires - since they had a lot of tread. Car had about 88,000 miles at the time. It is a 2002 model. Tires have 2006 date.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:48 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Lesson learned ..

Bought the car in December 2017 - so owned for a year. Did not check age of tires - since they had a lot of tread. Car had about 88,000 miles at the time. It is a 2002 model. Tires have 2006 date.
Even worse. Tires were 11 years old, 3 years past life, now are 4 years past life.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:55 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:48 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Lesson learned ..
Even worse. Tires were 11 years old, 3 years past life, now are 4 years past life.
Only 2 more days. My wife ordered 4 new Michelins at Costco today - will be installed this week.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:36 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm
Thanks for the link, Earl.

Unfortunately, the first two (closest to my house) that show up per the link do not install customers' own tires. In addition, both belong to the same franchise that I do not trust because they messed up my car and hid it well.
If a shop is a tire rack affiliate installer on the list published by tire rack, then they will install if you have the receipt from tire rack. This is different than showing up with your own tires from store XY because they’ve already made an arrangement with tire rack.

This is about tire mounting/installation not general repairs. How did they mess up your car?

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 am

badger42 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

I side with Costco here. If the manufacturer specs the car for a given rating of tire, all the safety engineering and safety QA on the car likely was done with that spec tire.

As an example, if a car is spec’d For H rated tires and you use T rated ones, stopping distance will be increased, which could cause the input assumptions to the car’s safety engineering to be invalidated.
Index fund investor since 1987.