Sequoia or Land Cruiser

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rashad3000

Sequoia or Land Cruiser

Post by rashad3000 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 am

My wife and I are about to start a vehicle sinking fund. While my 2003 Honda Pilot is still going strong, I understand that I need to plan for the future. I will drive it until i can’t anymore, but I will not put any further “costly” repairs in it. My projection is 3-5 years, hopefully longer.

I am mainly interested in the Land Cruiser, but I don’t like the price tag, even on a 3-5 year model. It seems that you can buy a Sequoia for $20-25,000 less. Besides the name, what are the other main differences between the 2 vehicles? Is the Sequoia as durable as the Land Cruiser?

When I buy, I’m looking to drive the vehicle for 12-15 years.

z0r

Re: Sequoia or Land Cruiser

Post by z0r » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 am

What are your requirements? Land cruiser is made for luxury off roading and long service life/durability. Do you frequently go on safari? Then it's perfect. Sequoia is made for towing while also seating 8. Both are enormous and get poor gas mileage, even worse than competitors because Toyota is behind in this segment, so I'd only consider them if their capabilities closely matched your requirements.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 am

I agree, unless you are towing or off roading these are not really around town vehicles and have a truck like ride. In addition, they are dated in design. Personally, I would look at the Pilot again or a Highlander.

rashad3000

Post by rashad3000 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 am

Great feedback. The Pilot is definitely a consideration.

What about the Explorer?

We have 3 kids and really just need something spacious for them. Our main vehicle right now is my wife’s 2016 Camry. It’s very tight in the back for them.

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:10 am

rashad3000 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 am

What about the Explorer?

We have 3 kids and really just need something spacious for them. Our main vehicle right now is my wife’s 2016 Camry. It’s very tight in the back for them.
Only a few posts in and you're already all over the map.

First, you already narrowed it down to the Land Cruiser and Sequoia. These are enormous oversized, outdated beasts.

Then, in your very next post, your ask about the Explorer???

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 am

I recently rented a Explorer for a vacation trip. It was dual purpose, I needed the room and I wanted to test drive it for a long period. Granted it only had 9k miles on it but it's a nice ride, plenty of room and features. Gas mileage was ok on the highway poor around town. The only issue I would have is what is the long term reliability? Search around some of the Explorer forums to get a sense of what others think, if you are interested.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am

4runner or
toyota something
balance of value vs utility.
do you need 4wd? towing?

or another honda pilot
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am

The Sequoia is a Tundra (truck) frame, but not quite as long. It's built in San Antonio. The Landcruiser is also a truck frame, but is built in Japan and imported.

The landcruiser is more "solid" than the Sequoia, but, I believe, has slightly less towing capacity.

If someone were giving me one or the other, I'd pick the land cruiser. I've owned two. I've also owned a Tundra.

I agree about the price of the land cruiser having gotten out of hand. If I go back to another vehicle like that, I'm planning to look at the Nissan Armada. They shifted the design a couple of years ago away from the pickup truck base, and moved it to the international model based "Patrol". It's now the same as the infiniti qx-80 mechanically, and its properly discounted from the infiniti model. The land cruiser is not properly discounted.

Both the Landcruiser and the international "Patrol" version of the Nissan are used in the middle east by the UN and terrorists because they are dependable and capable.

If you can live with a slightly smaller vehicle, you should look at the Lexus GX. There is no Toyota equivalent offered. I've owned that one too and its quite capable. An american version of a toyota popular in the Australian outback, again for reasons of dependability and capability.

Good luck.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 am

rashad3000 wrote:

What about the Explorer?

Test drive both the Explorer and the Flex. We had a 2014 Explorer and now drive a Flex. If you can get past the boxy look (I like it), then the Flex > Explorer on a couple of areas. The Flex sits lower and has a longer wheel base. This means it rides better and gets better MPG. The shape means that that it feels roomier. They are very similar inside. We have the 2/3/2 configuration for 7 seating. The Sequoia is more in the Expedition/Suburban/Yukon XL space. Large/truck based. 11-12 mpg in town driving. Figure out if you are in the Large SUV or the Mid-Large SUV class (Explorer, Flex, PIlot, Highlander).

We have the AWD Flex. Both Highlander and Pilot are solid. I just prefer Ford. In the end, there are a number of vehicles that meet your space needs. The price point and features/ride/mpg will be the difference.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

targetconfusion

Post by targetconfusion » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:35 am

rashad3000 wrote:

What about the Explorer?

If it's space you're after, since nobody has said it yet, have a look at the cargo capacities of minivans compared to whatever SUV you're considering. For Toyota, Sienna has [notation: cubic feet behind first/second/third row] 150/87/39 to the Sequoia's 120/67/19 and Land Cruiser's 82/43/16. Sienna, uniquely among minivans, is available in AWD.

You give up ground clearance and towing capacity, so clearly not an option if you're into heavy offroading. And, subjectively, style. Though one could argue practicality has style all its own.

https://www.toyota.com/sequoia/features ... /7919/7921
https://www.toyota.com/sienna/features/ ... /5342/5348
https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/features/mpg/6156

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am

If you are willing to look in the category size SUV of the Explorer (3-row SUV) there are many to choose from. Probably all manufacturers have one in this size. Nissan, Honda, Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Toyota, Hyundai - all offer 3 row SUV off the top of my head. Probably others too.

mx711yam

Post by mx711yam » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 am

I looked at both of these, same age range you're talking about, then drove an expedition. For the money, I couldn't pass up what Ford has done on the 2015 and newer expeditions.

PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am

We've been researching large SUVs, wanting something that can pull a travel trailer. We narrowed it down to the Ford Expedition and Nissan Armada.

We test drove both the other day and preferred the ride and standard features of the Nissan Armada, which was revamped in 2017 and is now very similar to the Infiti QX80. The Armada has a towing capacity of 8,500, which should be adequate for most small to mid-sized RV travel trailers. Both the 2017 Expedition and Armada can be found for under $30k with 40k to 50k miles.

I realize I didn't exactly answer the question, but we also considered the Sequoia. We wanted the extra towing capacity, so it didn't make the final cut.

:beer
-PoF

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:30 am

rashad3000 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 am
My wife and I are about to start a vehicle sinking fund. While my 2003 Honda Pilot is still going strong, I understand that I need to plan for the future. I will drive it until i can’t anymore, but I will not put any further “costly” repairs in it. My projection is 3-5 years, hopefully longer.

I am mainly interested in the Land Cruiser, but I don’t like the price tag, even on a 3-5 year model. It seems that you can buy a Sequoia for $20-25,000 less. Besides the name, what are the other main differences between the 2 vehicles? Is the Sequoia as durable as the Land Cruiser?

Both are very big SUVs. Very reliable. LC uses torson center diffential which is more expensive and capable AWD system for off-road. Sequoia used electro-hydro controlled central differential which is less capable AWD system. That's why it is cheaper than LC. On road, Sequoia is good enough. If you don't need such large SUV (mpg also very bad 15-18 MPG), choose a 4Runner or even a Highland, you will get around 25-30MPG.
Last edited by WhiteMaxima on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am

rashad3000 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 am

Where do you live?
What are your goals with the vehicle?
Sequoia would have third row seats that go into the floor not landcruiser.
LC would be better at off roading, not Sequoia.
LC build quality is better than Sequoia. However, all Toyotas suffer from rusting earlier than most other manufacturers, if you live in area where salt in winter is a big thing.
It all depends on what the usage of this vehicle is going to be.

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:30 am
LC uses torson center diffential which is more expensive and capable AWD system for off-road. Sequoia used electro-hydro controlled central differential which is less capable AWD system.
The chances of the OP taking either vehicle further off-road than a shopping mall parking lot is <1%.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am

Then Sequoia is better choice and cheaper. I don't like both gas mileage. They are big and heavy. I know Saudi has a lot LCs. But their gas is 5c/gallon. LCs are very good on sand dune.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm

The Sequoia is very long in the tooth and has more or less been abandoned by Toyota in terms of updates. The last major revamp of the Sequoia was in 2007 for the 2008 model year. That's very old for a current production vehicle. It's probably because sales have dwindled down to almost nothing. Sequoia sales peaked at 70,000 in 2002 and have been declining ever since to about 12,000 in 2017.

Only reason I can think of for getting a Sequoia is for the towing capacity. There are many better and more modern options if you are just looking for a 7 passenger SUV. And if towing is the primary reason for getting the vehicle then something like a crew cab F150 is going to be much more capable.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 pm

rashad3000 wrote:

What about the Explorer?

I am provided a new Explorer every few years as a work vehicle. It's great because it's free, but I wouldn't purchase one myself.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 pm

The Sequoia feels significantly behind the times in a variety of aspects, because it is. 2019 is the twelfth model year since the last significant changes to the platform, and much of it dates all the way back to its inception in 2000 (or actually, the late '90s Tundra). It is roomy and reliable, and that's about all it has going for it. Fuel economy is abysmal, there is basically no tech to speak of. Just about everything in the segment would be a better overall choice.

But if you don't actually need such a behemoth, midsize and large crossovers almost across the board will be more suitable than a full-size Body-on-Frame SUV, regardless of brand. Things like the Pilot (avoid Touring and Elite trims with the universally-loathed 9-speed auto), Highlander, Explorer (2019-model will be RWD-based, on the Mustang platform), Flex, Traverse/Enclave twins, RX, Q7, etc.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:26 pm

For 84k base price, you'd be better off going for a Mercedes GLS or the upcoming BMW x7 (both of which are cheaper). Take a look at the interior of either of those and compare it to the bargain basement rubbermaid Land Cruiser which hasn't been redesigned in 10 years, then compare the gas mileage, and reconsider your options.

The Land Cruiser is great for extreme conditions and off roading, but it seems like space is what you're after, not off-road capabilities.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm

I had a Sequoia as a rental recently. It was a 2017 model year car, but when I first got it, I thought it must be at least 10 years old. I actually checked because I was shocked that a rental car company would still be running such an old vehicle.

On top of being woefully outdated, it didn't seem to do anything particularly well. It didn't drive well, the interior was quite cramped for a car of its size, and fuel economy was poor. You'd likely be much better served by a more modern 3-row crossover.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Don't count to use the 3rd row seat. because of the rear differential axle, the 3rd row has pushed very high. But LCs are the king on Gebi desert and super reliable V8. Lexus LX570 is same but up lifted LC with hydro ground height lift. 80K USD.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm

I, too, have three kids and one of the vehicles mentioned: Lexus GX. I love my Lexus, but hate taking three kids anywhere in it - our minivan fits that role perfectly: It keeps the kids away from each other and still leaves plenty of room for luggage space for a family of five. I'd love to have a new Land Cruiser, too, but bet the minivan would still be used for family outings. Unless you need to tow something big or go off-road, get a modern cross-over or a minivan.

Boglegrappler first mentioned the GX and said
If you can live with a slightly smaller vehicle, you should look at the Lexus GX. There is no Toyota equivalent offered. I've owned that one too and its quite capable. An american version of a toyota popular in the Australian outback, again for reasons of dependability and capability.
For the curious, the Lexus GX is a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Prado

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:17 pm

For moving people on road, minivan would be the right choice. You will have better MPG and quick get in and out because if sliding door. very usable 3rd row seat. Not for off-road of course. Much better ride comfort. LCs and Lexus LX are all truck based SUV. Driving is much bumpy and harsh than unibody minivan and sedan.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm

TierArtz wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm
I, too, have three kids and one of the vehicles mentioned: Lexus GX. I love my Lexus, but hate taking three kids anywhere in it - our minivan fits that role perfectly: It keeps the kids away from each other and still leaves plenty of room for luggage space for a family of five. I'd love to have a new Land Cruiser, too, but bet the minivan would still be used for family outings. Unless you need to tow something big or go off-road, get a modern cross-over or a minivan.

Boglegrappler first mentioned the GX and said
For the curious, the Lexus GX is a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Prado
4Runner plus big engine.