Quitting w/o notice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wfrobinette

Re: Quitting w/o notice

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

mortfree wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Someone did it to me when I was a manager once - left me suddenly and without a hand-off. I never forgot it - didn't matter how good he was - I just remembered him as the guy that suddenly quit without reason. I've seen the guys resume at 3 different jobs I've worked at since and blocked him from being hired at all three. At one of the jobs he tried to get in 3 times over 5 years - all three times I had him blocked (actually explained the situation to the hiring manager - no one wants to hire someone that might up and quit with no notice).
Most people quit their boss, not the job.

For you to go out of your way 3 times to block him. I dunno.
No kidding! Now he's posted it in a public forum as well.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:21 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:00 pm
AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:35 pm
If so I would at least create a transition plan to hand over to your boss when you quit.
Why?
Professional reference down the road
Overrated and unavailable.

100% of the co-workers who are with the same (former for me) companies that have served with me WILL not provide professional references because these are prohibited by company policy.

As for co-workers who are not longer with the same companies (that we served together), I think some of them will provide references.
Best part is: I get to choose who to ask.
Yeah, I take references with a grain of salt. Who would be dumb enough to provide a "bad" reference. I learned how to ask the right question to see if they are good or not. "Tell me your most significant accomplishment" then I drill down on that to see what they did vs what the "participated in"

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm

posted twice see below
Last edited by Morgan Dollar 1921 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm
Yeah, I take references with a grain of salt. Who would be dumb enough to provide a "bad" reference.
The same people who think they are clearly above average when they aren’t? :twisted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusor ... erformance

I have had former employees ask me for a reference who were “below average”.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:19 pm

GoldStar wrote:
OP,
I'm surprised at how many folks are advising you to quit without 2 weeks notice.
It's considered a professional courtesy in most industries even though not required in most.
I'ts considered unprofessional to leave suddenly - doing so can impact your career for many years to come.

Someone did it to me when I was a manager once - left me suddenly and without a hand-off. I never forgot it - didn't matter how good he was - I just remembered him as the guy that suddenly quit without reason. I've seen the guys resume at 3 different jobs I've worked at since and blocked him from being hired at all three. At one of the jobs he tried to get in 3 times over 5 years - all three times I had him blocked (actually explained the situation to the hiring manager - no one wants to hire someone that might up and quit with no notice).

Someone said you can get references from elsewhere but most intelligent hiring managers look at where you've worked and will check with references you do NOT provide - those that you worked for or with in the past. So if you don't want to potentially be blocked from being hired at everywhere folks in the management chain or HR chain might end up working (In addition to the current place) - give the 2-weeks notice.

If you do decide to forgo the notice - I would recommend calling your manager and explaining the situation to him (would like to stay on for 2 more weeks but serious family issues prevent you from doing so.... or some such thing).
I left one of the bullying general managers to go to a new position, I had to put service manager down on several job apps after the one store I went to sold out five years later due to the Olds death. One of the employees I supervised called me and said I should change your point of reference in the store due to the service manager doing exactly what you are doing Goldstar, trying to block my employment, I said thanks, and changed it. Just as well that guy was gone in a year or so later, had a heart attack. One of the better service writers I worked with at a Buick dealer quit suddenly one saturday morning, his wife said he went down stairs to put towels in the dryer, got to the top of the stairs, dropped like a rock, heart attack. He left without a hand-off too. Someday we all will be forgotten at work, Goldstar,, no one will remember that guy that left without a hand-off. You sound like another parts manager I know, he carried a little memo book in his shirt pocket, every person that ever worked for him and their phone numbers and why or why not to recommend. As Leon Russell said in Shooter,,"the world ain't what it seems". I hope you have a change of heart, people can change.
BTW, I did give two weeks when I left the former job. I have had two stores make me a management role offer, pending the fact I would start the next Monday, meaning none to four days notice. In the dealership world, skill and performance is more important than 5 to 10 days in the slide zone.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 pm
GoldStar wrote:
I just remembered him as the guy that suddenly quit without reason. I've seen the guys resume at 3 different jobs I've worked at since and blocked him from being hired at all three. At one of the jobs he tried to get in 3 times over 5 years - all three times I had him blocked (actually explained the situation to the hiring manager - no one wants to hire someone that might up and quit with no notice).
Is it really professional to hold that much of a grudge?
It's not a grudge. It's an actual experience he has with the person, and it indicates the person did not make solid decisions in his view. This is exactly why people are saying it might not be a good decision to not give a notice.

Baldrekr

Post by Baldrekr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm
Is your complaint that he's posted a story directly relevant to the thread? Seems quite relevant too, as it shows that there are indeed people out there who will get back at you later, which is another good reason to not burn bridges. Even if you really dislike your company/management, don't rub their faces in it on your way out if you plan to work in the same industry, it could come back to bite you later.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm

ERISA Stone wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 pm
8foot7 wrote:
GoldStar wrote:
I just remembered him as the guy that suddenly quit without reason. I've seen the guys resume at 3 different jobs I've worked at since and blocked him from being hired at all three. At one of the jobs he tried to get in 3 times over 5 years - all three times I had him blocked (actually explained the situation to the hiring manager - no one wants to hire someone that might up and quit with no notice).
It's not a grudge. It's an actual experience he has with the person, and it indicates the person did not make solid decisions in his view. This is exactly why people are saying it might not be a good decision to not give a notice.
Blocking someone from being hired three different times over five years is a grudge. Giving a narrative account of your experience with someone to a hiring manager is one thing. So is not hiring him again for your own position based on your own experience. But running around badmouthing this person to three different companies? That’s a grudge.

I’m in support of giving two weeks, as I posted above, but that continued level of negative behavior toward a person over half a decade reeks of a vendetta.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Baldrekr wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm
Is your complaint that he's posted a story directly relevant to the thread? Seems quite relevant too, as it shows that there are indeed people out there who will get back at you later, which is another good reason to not burn bridges. Even if you really dislike your company/management, don't rub their faces in it on your way out if you plan to work in the same industry, it could come back to bite you later.
No complaint. If said employee were to get a hold of his public statements, he might find himself party to a lawsuit.

Baldrekr

Post by Baldrekr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:48 pm
No complaint. If said employee were to get a hold of his public statements, he might find himself party to a lawsuit.
I don't think "Goldstar" on an anonymous forum, with no real name or company ever mentioned, has much to worry about on that front.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:59 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm
ERISA Stone wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
GoldStar wrote:
Blocking someone from being hired three different times over five years is a grudge. Giving a narrative account of your experience with someone to a hiring manager is one thing. So is not hiring him again for your own position based on your own experience. But running around badmouthing this person to three different companies? That’s a grudge.

I’m in support of giving two weeks, as I posted above, but that continued level of negative behavior toward a person over half a decade reeks of a vendetta.
It depends. If an otherwise excellent employee quit without notice and their former boss went out of their way to block the hire, I agree it may be an irrational grudge. There could have been extenuating circumstances causing the no-notice quit. But if a poor employee quit without notice, I can understand why someone would want to avoid having to work with them again. Applying 3 times in five years to the same job and getting that far each time is an unusual situation.

That said, the story goes to show that it is never a good idea to burn bridges. I haven't quite many obs, but for the ones I did, I found my notice period to be very relaxing times. You no longer have to stress about the job, and can devote your remaining time to helping out those who will be assuming your role. Even if you hate your boss, it's a courtesy to your co-workers to provide hand-off. Without giving notice you may not just burn the bridge with your boss, but other co-workers who could one day be in a position to hire you.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:39 pm

8foot7 wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
GoldStar wrote:

It also reeks of a lack of maturity. I do not think I would want an employee who would hold a grudge for 5+ years. At some point you have to let go, or at the very least show some introspection into what happened and whether you contributed to the situation.

finanzfrau

Post by finanzfrau » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Just went through this. The boss was an abusive bully. HR despite the fact that I complained did nothing to address the miserable work environment.This international company did nothing. It was affecting my health and my behavior with friends and family. The sudden passing of another colleague made my decision easier. After a weekend of admitting defeat and realizing I was going nowhere with the position and my career at that company, I submitted my resignation to HR with 2 weeks. They tried to convince me to stay and I said "NO". He initially announced it to the other managers the very next day. By the end of the week, He was back to his bullying. I realized that they did not even deserve the 2 weeks and any help with the transition. Others in the company had mentioned to me that this was not the first time and that other people had also left because of him. I have worked in finance for a while and in another company for more than 10 years. I had never heard or experienced this treatment before. I took sick leave and left after completing my last weeks. I gave them 2 weeks as a courtesy but I wish I hadn't. The HR person when I requested it said that my condition was not so acute ! Take FMLA if you can or leave if you believe they will just use the 2 weeks to make your life miserable. Its not an easy time but as they say "this too shall pass". Also before you resign consult an employment lawyer in case there are other issues that need to be addressed. Once you resign you will have no case as I learned later.

rralex1

Post by rralex1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Opinions are, of course a dime a dozen.. Often times the opinions that one pays attention to however, are the ones that most closely align with what someone wants or would like to believe.

Here's yet another opinion. Take the high road. It is becoming more and more rare, but more and more important. The more common approach sponsored by just about every social media platform is to "Do what you want to do, it's about you". That'll show em.

This opinion: Take the higher road. Always. That is what separates you from those down in the mud. Give the two weeks notice no matter what. The reality: You are in control and you will be able to look back and know you did the right thing. Unlike the thoughts of your employer, boss, whatever. Regardless, you know that you will be moving on. And you win.

It costs nothing to do the right thing. And you know what it is. That's what separates you from them. Do the right thing.

Wishing you all the best regardless.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Another vote for giving the 2 week notice. I've been on both sides of this one....the notice is common courtesy to both your boss and co-workers who will have to shoulder the load once you're gone. I also appreciate being in a role where you wake up to panic attacks and are over-worked & under appreciated. Give the notice, tie up loose ends, help with training, and finish well and with the knowledge you did your best. Maybe your employer reacts poorly or walks you out in response to you giving notice. That's OK and that's on them.

Good luck to you.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:14 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm
And there is no honor among (corporate) thieves.
A thief thinks everybody steals.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Whakamole wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:39 pm
8foot7 wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
GoldStar wrote:

It also reeks of a lack of maturity. I do not think I would want an employee who would hold a grudge for 5+ years. At some point you have to let go, or at the very least show some introspection into what happened and whether you contributed to the situation.
Not wanting to rehire someone that lacks professionalism is not a grudge, nor a vendetta, nor a lack of maturity - it's simply a good business decision. Relaying the stories to others so they don't make the mistake of hiring someone that is unprofessional is also a good business decision which makes the company stronger by avoiding a bad hire.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 pm
Whakamole wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:39 pm
8foot7 wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:
8foot7 wrote:

Not wanting to rehire someone that lacks professionalism is not a grudge, nor a vendetta, nor a lack of maturity - it's simply a good business decision. Relaying the stories to others so they don't make the mistake of hiring someone that is unprofessional is also a good business decision which makes the company stronger by avoiding a bad hire.
Like the other poster said, people quit bosses, not jobs. All else
being equal I’d probably prefer to work for a boss that might find it in their heart to forgive an etiquette violation 5+ years ago, or that might assume one grows as a professional.

Who knows, that guy might think twice about hiring you one day.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm

GoldStar wrote:
OP,
I'm surprised at how many folks are advising you to quit without 2 weeks notice.
It's considered a professional courtesy in most industries even though not required in most.
I'ts considered unprofessional to leave suddenly - doing so can impact your career for many years to come.

Someone said you can get references from elsewhere but most intelligent hiring managers look at where you've worked and will check with references you do NOT provide - those that you worked for or with in the past. So if you don't want to potentially be blocked from being hired at everywhere folks in the management chain or HR chain might end up working (In addition to the current place) - give the 2-weeks notice.

If you do decide to forgo the notice - I would recommend calling your manager and explaining the situation to him (would like to stay on for 2 more weeks but serious family issues prevent you from doing so.... or some such thing).
Best (and most truthful) advice so far in this thread.

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 pm

GoldStar wrote:

How would you describe this employees performance while they were under you? When this employee left did you reach out to them to see what was going on or if you could help or offer support in any way? How about the 3 times they were blocked, did you ever reach out to see WHY they left all those years ago?

One could argue you lack the same professionalism

OP, if I was you I would give 2wks notice

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm

gpburdell wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:32 pm
So, I don't want to go in alot of detail, but I've made up mind to quit my job. I've been stressed out for the last 4-6 months and having panic attacks, waking up at night, etc. The majority of it is my job and part having to deal with my dad being very sick.
Obviously it depends on the job, but I don't understand the etiquette especially if you're seriously miserable to the point of psychological trauma. Does your employer give you 2 weeks notice before they fire you? You could tell them it's a medical emergency.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 pm
gpburdell wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:32 pm
So, I don't want to go in alot of detail, but I've made up mind to quit my job. I've been stressed out for the last 4-6 months and having panic attacks, waking up at night, etc. The majority of it is my job and part having to deal with my dad being very sick.

I have emergency funds for almost a year; more if I cut down my monthly discretionary expenses. Worst case I have multiple years of expenses in IRA/401k.

I'm planning to resign this week and I'm trying to decide is if I should give 2 weeks notice or not. I've always given 2 weeks in the past (if not more) and always thought it standard practice.

Things came to ahead last week which pushed me over the edge and now thinking of just quitting immediately as I can't take it anymore.

Is it really that bad to quit w/o notice? I know the usual reasons to give it etc. Just wanting to get some feedback from everyone. thanks
Free country: check.
At will employment: check.

Show up in the morning, tell them you are out, and walk away.

There is literally nothing they can do about it.

If they want to pay for the next two weeks, that's fine.

Think of the reverse situation: if they wanted to get rid of you, they will do it on the spot, with a security escort.
Just because it’s a free country or because there is at will employment, does not mean it’s “right”. Legal does not make it “right”.

I think giving two weeks notice is the “right” thing to do. That’s why I’d do it. The exception would be if you are mistreated. Then, yes, don’t feel bad about quitting on the spot.

My partner gave a month’s notice and got fired immediately. The supervisor was very embarassed, but it was the supervisor’s boss’ decision. But it was the right thing to do. And she got excellent references.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to give the 2 week notice; well almost 2 weeks. I'm going to give notice on Tuesday in person as I worked from home on Monday and my last day will be the following Friday.

I do have 3 vacation days and plan to use them over the next 2 weeks. I have a sick day left too, but not sure if I'll use that or not.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Thanks for the update and best of luck to you and your family.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Not wanting to rehire someone that lacks professionalism
I have my opinion of which one of you lacks professionalism.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am

LMBFlorida wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm
GoldStar wrote:
OP,

Best (and most truthful) advice so far in this thread.
+1

OP: Take the high road. Be the professional. Give two weeks notice.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Not wanting to rehire someone that lacks professionalism
I have my opinion of which one of you lacks professionalism.
I'm okay with this and the other insults as I'm confident in my leadership abilities after decades of doing so.
I realize the number one reason people leave their job is their boss but I also know there are a myriad of other reasons and we all lose an occasional employee.
I have the best employee-retention record at my current company and one of the best in my industry all while having a very high-performing team.
I do it by looking after my people, providing them with career growth and opportunities, understanding their needs/desires, cultural differences, etc. In many cases I have bent-over-backwards to take care of my employees. But, I also take the time to ensure I have the right people on my team since part of my job as a leader isn't just to look after my team but it is also to assure my team is performing at their optimal level. As such - I only hire "A" players. Once someone displays a serious lack of professionalism, it becomes clear that they are simply not an "A" player.

When I first read this thread I was hesitant to respond because I have seen a lot of rash discussions whenever topics are not of a financial nature but I felt I would be doing the OP a disservice by not warning him what the result of his considered action might be.
I'm fine if you want to keep the insults coming - I've warned the OP and glad to see the right decision was made.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 am

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:00 pm
It is very poor form to quit without notice. If you are struggling deeply with stress, talk to your supervisor and at least attempt to work out the details of an exit plan in a collaborative fashion. It would clearly be much better if you can come up with a mutually agreed upon plan. I am thinking that if you were able to tolerate the challenges of this position in the past, you likely have the strength to tough it out for 2 more weeks to leave with your reputation intact.

On a personal level, I have found that once I know that the light is at the end of the tunnel, the stress abates greatly. I once "quit" a job due to stress when I had been working over 100 hours per week. I told my employer I just couldn't do it anymore and was at the breaking point. The employer advised that I go home and get some rest before making any final decisions. I basically slept for a couple of days to catch up, and then decided to go back and stick things out. The knowledge that I had the guts to "quit" if needed helped reduce the psychological stress of the overwhelming workload.

For you, once you give notice and know you are out in 2 weeks, the stress level may abate substantially.
Looks like you got connned.
Everyone in my position with the organization worked 100 hours per week. It was the expectation. Actually, it was the requirement. Since my time, laws were passed to limit the work hours to 80 hours per week for those currently holding that same position. It was grueling, but it was a rite of passage and it prepared me for a very successful and productive career.

The knowledge that I had quit to get some rest for a few days somehow helped me psychologically. The knowledge that I could quit again if I reached my breaking point helped me get through some very long and difficult months.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:38 am

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 am
Someone did it to me when I was a manager once - left me suddenly and without a hand-off. I never forgot it - didn't matter how good he was - I just remembered him as the guy that suddenly quit without reason.
You claim he suddenly quit "without reason." But he clearly had a reason and may not have felt comfortable sharing it with you.

So you have zero insight into why your employee quit, yet did everything in your power (at 3 different companies) to block his employment over the course of many years? That sounds a lot more like a vendetta/grudge than it does a "good business decision."

What if he had recently lost a close loved one? What if he or a close loved one had just been diagnosed with a terminal illness? What if he was suffering from a severe physical or mental condition?

Would any of these reasons have changed your mind about the employee? Would you still think you helped "make the company stronger by avoiding a bad hire." Not everyone wants to share such personal details with their boss. And maybe you're not as engaged/caring/compassionate/great of a boss as you think.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 am

I wouldn't want to have nothing on my resume for a year (or however long you take off) and also have no references/recommendations from that last job.

At the last place I worked, an acquisition was announced where most people knew they would be out of a job (acquiring company HQ in another state). People did give notice when they found new jobs, but a lot seemed to give 2 weeks and take several vacation or sick days in that two week period.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 am

J295 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 am
Number one priority for me would be your health and well-being.
This!
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

DPT31

Post by DPT31 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am

Get to a Dr. Get into a therapist. File a FMLA. If your workplace is like mine, depending on how generous your MD is or understands your distress, you might be able to get short term disability. My boss did this a few years ago when his boss was seriously stressing him out to where his BP was dangerously high and having panic attacks. He took 6 weeks off, and his MD said he could do more if he wanted.
Your HR should be contacted and explain your situation(sans the quitting thoughts). For FMLA, your boss can't ask why you are taking time off. HR is designed for this kind of stuff. You can literally get paid 60%(depending on STD policy) for 12 weeks while you recover, and then re-evaluate your options then.
As for notice, I'm in healthcare so I give 4 weeks(not for my hospital, but for my coworkers-they are the ones screwed over if I leave). Office work give 2 weeks. Just make sure everything from your computer and from your desk that you might ever need or is personal is in your possession off site before you tell them. They might walk you out depending on the profession. The economy is great now, but recessions happen and burned bridges are bad.
Good luck. I just took 3 months off from a job to destress after lots of anxiety and panic attacks. I've also seen a therapist 1x/wk. Has helped tremendously. At the end of the day-we get 1 life and you must take care of it.

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 am

Topic is locked (OP has posted his decision here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=261978&start=100#p4178805 ) and topic is derailed.