Do I need to buy laptop software?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Do I need to buy laptop software?

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I are looking to buy a new inexpensive laptop (under $500) and was wondering what software do I need to buy? Specifically I have an old Dell and had to buy Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PP) and think it's too old for a new laptop. Will I have to buy a new Windows software package or does it come with it. I think Google has comparable word processing/spreadsheet applications, would they be compatible with Office software? Sorry if I'm rambling or am being unclear.
Last edited by tennisplyr on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

JoeRetire

Re: Do I need laptop software?

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Buy a Chromebook and use Google apps.
Don't be a lemming.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:54 pm

No, you do not need to buy laptop software. You can use google docs which is like microsoft word at https://docs.google.com

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:55 pm

You can open MS Word in Google Docs but it has trouble saving documents in MS Word format.

There is now an online version of MS Word so you do not need to buy the software unless you need the advanced functionality of the full version.

Is this for personal use?

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:12 pm

This is for low key, personal use. DW needs to be able to open docs from friends. Talking basic here. I need to be able to print things, don't have another laptop or desktop.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:28 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 pm

If you don't know what software you need, you probably don't need it!
Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, they're all great in their own ways.
Windows: most susceptible to viruses, best for gaming and software
Mac: nice interface, pricy
Chromebook: cheap, simple, basic
Linux: simple, customizable, works great on old hardware (might put on your old laptop)

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:34 pm

If you have a Microsoft email account as I do, I get basic versions of Word and Excel and OneNote and Powerpoint online for free.

https://office.live.com/start/Word.aspx?auth=1
https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx?auth=1
https://office.live.com/start/PowerPoint.aspx?auth=1

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Look at LibreOffice. It's a totally free suite of office products that IMO mirror MS Office with same functionality. I've been using it of years without issue. Go to https://www.libreoffice.org/

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:48 pm

You can get a perfectly decent Chromebook laptop for MUCH less than $500. It will have all the software you would need; The google office suite has become very powerful (and is free.)

If you go with a Windows machine (which you can also get for less than $500, you can still use Google Suite. You could also try Libre Office, which is similar to Office, but also free.

There's probably no reason to buy any software.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:15 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:18 pm
... had to buy Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PP) and think it's too old for a new laptop.
Office 2007 or later will run on Win10. So if you have the CD for Office 2007 or later, just install it and then Windows will update it.

Do note that LibreOffice is an excellent alternate. I use that on my drag around ( travel ) laptop. Just understand when saving a file, you will need to tell it which version of Office to save to as the default is not an Office format. It's public domain user group supported so it's pretty up-to-date with Office.

edvest

Post by edvest » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 pm
Linux: simple, customizable, works great on old hardware (might put on your old laptop)
We have a ms server with exchange and 15 workstations. Could I use Linux to replace MS? The network has, and does not need any internet/cloud connection.

Tu, Tennisplyr, Alexa and all!

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Indeed, I have a 10 year old HP laptop running Ubuntu and it works fine. Posting on it now.

Haven't booted up the Windows partition in 5 years.
Last edited by Turbo29 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:44 pm

duplicate

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm

edvest wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm
We have a ms server with exchange and 15 workstations. Could I use Linux to replace MS? The network has, and does not need any internet/cloud connection.
Tu, Tennisplyr, Alexa and all!
What exactly do you do with these workstations? You might get more feedback on a Linux forum about what you can/can't do coming from Windows.
Linux is free and fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. I'd recommend Linux Mint.
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
https://forums.linuxmint.com/
Make a bootable USB using Rufus and it's fairly simple to install.
You can partition your drive to test it out or just run it on the USB to make sure it works to your satisfaction.

edvest

Post by edvest » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm
What exactly do you do with these workstations?
Write letters in ms word, internal email with ms outlook on the workstations and ms exchange, which holds the mail on the server, a man'f application, some excel and old paradox databases.
What usually happens is the server dies and the vender comes in and install all newer ms stuff. $10k +.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:21 pm

edvest wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Write letters in ms word, internal email with ms outlook on the workstations and ms exchange, which holds the mail on the server, a man'f application, some excel and old paradox databases.
What usually happens is the server dies and the vender comes in and install all newer ms stuff. $10k +.
That sounds fairly basic. You might ask your IT guy about it but they probably won't like the idea of it because it's free. Linux uses LibreOffice rather than Microsoft Office unless you use Wine to run Windows programs. It might take some getting used to and there will likely be some hiccups setting it up but may be a good move long term. https://www.ubuntu.com/server
Definitely give it a test run first.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pm

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 am

AllMostThere wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm
Look at LibreOffice. It's a totally free suite of office products that IMO mirror MS Office with same functionality. I've been using it of years without issue. Go to https://www.libreoffice.org/

So if I get Word documents sent to me, I can open them through LibreOffice?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:01 am

weltschmerz wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pm
I see recommendations for Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Chromebooks, etc. I am coming from a Windows machine running Windows 7. What about drivers to run my printer and scanner? I know I need to take action sometime, since Win7 is not supported past next year. I would love to move away from Windows if I can still get my old peripherals to work.
Make a bootable Linux Mint USB and try it out on your current computer for free to test if they work.
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 am
So if I get Word documents sent to me, I can open them through LibreOffice?
Yes, Google Docs is also a good substitute if you want to store them all online.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 am

It's unfortunate that while Microsoft was offering free upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 7 you didn't take it. Have no idea if you dig around online if you can still find that option.

I upgraded several PCs. On other PCs I saved the ability to upgrade so I can when I want to, I still use Windows Media Center, which is part of Windows 7 but not part of Windows 10.

As indicated, many versions of Office will still work fine on Windows 7 or Windows 10. I plan on using Office, installed on my computers, for as long as it is supported with security updates, which is December 31, 2020.

As far as using Google's free online software, one should carefully understand what Google scans for content and what it does not. I have things in my documents and spreadsheets that I will never put online.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 am

I use OpenOffice for documents, spread sheets, and it works fine with the "standard" Microsoft document files.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am

The Samsung model offers 16, 32 and 64 GB options. The ASUS offers 16 and 32 GB options. Do you have any thoughts re how meaningful the differences in those options are, in terms of day-to-day usage?

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 am

edvest wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm
What exactly do you do with these workstations?
I don't know how much do you need to keep the email on local server. Is it super sensitive information?

I would look into online version of Google office or office 365. For the cost of the server (10k), you will get years of service and you can use any off the shelf laptop or desktop.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am

Office 365 Personal (1 user) is $70 for a year.

Office 365 Home (6 users, kids? parents? It is by Microsoft account) is $100/year.

Each user gets 1 TB of OneDrive space.

https://products.office.com/en-US/compa ... ucts?tab=1

You can try the free options, but sometime sticking with what you are used to for a reasonable price is still worth it.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:22 pm

You can reuse your old Microsoft Office product key on the new laptop.

I like Microsoft Office and don't trust free alternatives. I also don't like the idea of a Chromebook where everything is in the cloud. But of course, this depends on how you are using your MS Office.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm

If you use Quicken you need Windows laptop. At least for now...

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Austintatious wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am
The Samsung model offers 16, 32 and 64 GB options. The ASUS offers 16 and 32 GB options. Do you have any thoughts re how meaningful the differences in those options are, in terms of day-to-day usage?

Those are all storage capabilities on the chromebook itself.
It all depends on what one stores on the chromebook.
Personally I only need 16 gig as I store most everything on Google Drive.
No need for local storage.
On another note ,I would purchase the device that offers 4gig of ram as opposed to 2.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Toons wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 pm
Austintatious wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am

Those are all storage capabilities on the chromebook itself.
It all depends on what one stores on the chromebook.
Personally I only need 16 gig as I store most everything on Google Drive.
No need for local storage.
On another note ,I would purchase the device that offers 4gig of ram as opposed to 2.
:happy
thanks

feh

Post by feh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 pm

AllMostThere wrote:
+1

For both windows and linux.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm

feh wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 pm
AllMostThere wrote:
+1

For both windows and linux.
I can't stand Open/Libre-office. Office docs don't look good IME.

Spring for the real office if necessary, else use google docs.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:54 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm
I can't stand Open/Libre-office. Office docs don't look good IME.

Spring for the real office if necessary, else use google docs.
At least for spreadsheets, they look almost the same to me. I had developed my portfolio managing sheet under Excel, but it ported into OpenOffice with little trouble. Oddly, in Libre some of the formulas don't work. Searching online, it seems that sometimes it can "see" circular references that aren't really there.

I would suggest that before spending money on Microsoft, that anyone interested try the open source versions first.

michaeljc70

Re: Do I need to buy laptop software?

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm

It sounds like a Chromebook or Google Docs will work for your needs. If you get a Windows laptop, there are cheap options to get Office. I bought Office 2016 Pro Plus online, which I believe to be legit, for around $30. I found it on a popular deal site and was able to register it with Microsoft more than a year ago and have had no issues.

The one issue you could have, and it is unlikely if you are opening basic documents, is Office macros won't work on competing products.