Cruise America RV rental experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JeanMich

Cruise America RV rental experience?

Post by JeanMich » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm

We were looking into renting an RV from Cruise America for a different type of vacation from our usual road trip by car experience. Then I read a bunch of very negative reviews having to do with service and maintenance issues. I realize that many reviewers write their review simply because they are unsatisfied, but I could not find many positive reviews at all. This has me very worried. Do any of you have any experiences (good or bad) with Cruise America?

researcher

Re: Cruise America RV rental experience?

Post by researcher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 am

JeanMich wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm
We were looking into renting an RV from Cruise America for a different type of vacation from our usual road trip by car experience. Then I read a bunch of very negative reviews having to do with service and maintenance issues. I realize that many reviewers write their review simply because they are unsatisfied, but I could not find many positive reviews at all. This has me very worried. Do any of you have any experiences (good or bad) with Cruise America?
I think there are much better options for renting an RV than Cruise America. I would start here...
https://rvshare.com/

In addition, many of the large RV dealerships also rent them, so I would check there as well.

corysold

Post by corysold » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 am

It was almost 20 years ago now, so I've no idea what relevance it may have, but I had a good experience with Cruise America. Took an RV from IL to New Orleans over New Year's. Went off without a hitch. But I got the sense it was somewhat like UHaul, where the business you rent from is the issue, not Cruise America itself. Might be a misconception though.

drew1976

Post by drew1976 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 am

We rented from them to test out the RV experience. Picked up an RV in Oceanside, CA and took it out to the San Elijo campground (no hookups) then a standard KOA place in Joshua Tree with hookups.

I had zero issues with the entire process. RV was in great shape when we got it. Our only issue was with the RV itself - we had 5 people sleeping in it and if anyone shifted while sleeping the whole thing rocked like crazy. Really needed some stabilizers.

Other than that - it was great and convinced us that RV life probably isn't for us now. Between the fuel bill, the propane bill, the RV maintenance and the decreased flexibility with a car - it is much easier and cheaper for us to drive/fly and get hotels for the 4-5 weeks we vacation per year.

I will echo that it probably depends on where you rent from - the guy at our rental place gave us a 15-20 min overview of where everything was and how to use everything. However, everything was pretty well documented on Youtube by Cruise America too. Just download their videos before you get out of an area with signal.