Help with reattaching a wooden door knob

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hmw

Help with reattaching a wooden door knob

Post by hmw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 pm

One of the wooden door knob on our pantry door has come off. The screw that secures the door knob appears to smaller than the hole inside the wooden door knob. Not sure how it was ever attached securely. Any suggestions? Take the wooden knob to home depot and see if I can buy a slightly larger screw?

Thanks

FiveK

Re: Help with reattaching a wooden door knob

Post by FiveK » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 pm

One possibility: jam a bunch of wooden toothpicks, coated with wood glue, into the knob hole. Let dry, saw the toothpicks flush to the knob, then reuse the same screw.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 pm

FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 pm
One possibility: jam a bunch of wooden toothpicks, coated with wood glue, into the knob hole. Let dry, saw the toothpicks flush to the knob, then reuse the same screw.
+1 :D

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:16 pm

I have that problem with some wooden door knobs on shutter type doors for closets. My plan, when I ever get around to it, is to put some wood patching material in the hole, maybe let it dry, then screw in the knob.

Years ago I used some wood patch stuff to replace door hardware with hardware that needed different holes, but I don't recollect its name and was not able to find something that good when I went looking for it later. It was perfectly fine without toothpicks. I was able to fill in holes in layers that dried in between coats, then sanded and painted.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:27 pm

The end of a wooden golf tee plus glue would work as well. I think the toothpick or golf tee would hold better than wood putty because you will be screwing into, essentially, solid wood. In either case, you might want to drill a small pilot hole into the toothpicks/tee so the screw goes in easier.

The easiest thing is probably to just go to Lowe’s or Home Depot (or other hardware store) and get a larger screw. Remove the screw from a different knob and see if it fits. If so, take it with you and get the same size.

hmw

Post by hmw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:17 pm

wageoghe wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:27 pm

The easiest thing is probably to just go to Lowe’s or Home Depot (or other hardware store) and get a larger screw. Remove the screw from a different knob and see if it fits. If so, take it with you and get the same size.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up going to Lowe's and bought a slightly larger screw. Works like a charm. :happy

PVW

Post by PVW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:27 pm

A few possibilities. You can get a larger screw. Take the screw and knob to Home Depot or similar and get a screw that is the same length and just big enough to screw snugly into the existing hole. You might have to drill the door hole larger.

The knob you have is probably very cheap to replace. And they come with the appropriate screw and pre drilled hole. But then you will also need to paint the knob. You might be able to find one that is already painted - or if it doesn't need to match other knobs, just get one that is suitable to you.

The typical way to repair stripped threaded holes in wood is to drill the hole out larger than the outside diameter of the screw and the same diameter as a dowel - maybe 1/4 inch in your case. Then glue a hardwood dowel into the hole. The dowel should be longer than the hole is deep, then cut the dowel off flush with the knob surface using a flush cut saw after the glue has dried. Then the knob is as good as new and you can redrill a hole for your screw.

There are also a variety of screw anchors that would also work, but I think this is more effort than the knob is worth.