Pull kids from school for vacations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Pull kids from school for vacations?

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:05 pm

We have the means and PTO to travel more and would love to travel sometime in January - early March. But my child doesn't have school vacation until April. She's a great student, yet the school is surprisingly strict about unexcused absences for elementary school. So I'm curious how others feel about this. Did you pull your kids from school to go on amazing family vacations or was school too important and you planned all trips around the school schedule?

dm200

Re: Pull kids from school for vacations?

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:10 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:05 pm
We have the means and PTO to travel more and would love to travel sometime in January - early March. But my child doesn't have school vacation until April. She's a great student, yet the school is surprisingly strict about unexcused absences for elementary school. So I'm curious how others feel about this. Did you pull your kids from school to go on amazing family vacations or was school too important and you planned all trips around the school schedule?
When our son was in early elementary school, we once took him out of school in October for 4-5 days for a wonderful (and relatively low cost) California trip, in conjunction with a business trip of mine. [We live on the east coast]

Normally, I would be reluctant to do so - for the perception as opposed to the reality of losing anything important.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:16 pm

We have pulled our elementary kids for about 9 extra days per school year.
3-4 are extra days from a holiday weekend, making it a 4 day weekend.
The others are on the front end of holidays (XMas, Spring Break, etc) - in our system, nothing is learned the last 2 days prior to vacations. Both kids got straight As/were above the curve, we wouldn't if they were having trouble.
Our public ES was entirely supportive, one the kid had to write an essay or give a presentation on the trip, for those ones we took an extra week.
Now that the kids are in private MS/HS, not really an issue - they have TONS of vaca (the more you pay, the less you go lol) and so no need to pull.
They're only yours for 18 years (and probably even less depending on what tween/teen you get).
Last edited by arsenalfan on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Never pulled children. In our school district with privileged wealthy parents it's a problem and school officials have rightly put their foot down.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 pm

We have done so on occasion, but not regularly.

Often, strict attendance policies are grounded in economics more than anything else. For example, in my state, funding to a particular school is directly dependent on daily student attendance.
Semper Augustus

celia

Post by celia » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Kids are only in school for about 180 days a year, which is a little less than half of the days in the year. I'm sure you could schedule your vacation during the other 180+ days.

The only time I ever took our kids out of school were if THEY were sick or there was a family funeral. But since we were paying tuition, EVERY school day was valuable to us. (Even if you don't pay tuition, you are paying taxes so your kids can attend. Do you want to waste your tax money?)

Why don't you take your amazing family vacation in April? Spring vacations are staggered so not everyone is off at the same time.
Last edited by celia on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Hans

Post by Super Hans » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 pm

When I was in third grade, my parents took me to spend six weeks in the old country over Christmas. In high school, my dad took me on business trips to Europe every year for one or two weeks each time. All these experiences were transformative, and I missed much of nothing back in public school.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:29 pm

We never did. Always thought it set a very poor example. No regrets.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:33 pm

No. We wanted to send the message to our daughter that school is too important, and we wanted to send the same message to her teachers. Now, she does not cut classes in college. Cause-effect relationship? Maybe.

Gasdoc

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:35 pm

My parents would just call me in sick for the week in elementary school. I high school I would just get an unexcused absents and go to Saturday school.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:37 pm

When our kids were in elementary school money was tight and we only took vacations when it was cheaper to do so. We did pull kids out of school for it. If I recall correctly the school allowed absences up to 10 days/year. I do not think it affected their academic performance adversely. They had to write an essay about what they did. My then 8 year old daughter had written a good description of each day of her first visit to the Disney parks which highly impressed her teacher and we have saved that essay. We did not pull them out during middle or high school years.
Ram

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Teague wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 pm
We have done so on occasion, but not regularly.
Often, strict attendance policies are grounded in economics more than anything else. For example, in my state, funding to a particular school is directly dependent on daily student attendance.
Yes - this is very true in some localities and some states.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm

I love travel and my son has gotten my travel bug so yes, I do pull him from school but no more than five or six days a year so that he can sometimes accompany me when I travel. We have done Chicago, Phoenix, San Francisco, Washington DC, and a few others. We each very much enjoy these trips, it’s huge for bonding and broadening perspectives, and I sleep fine at night.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I don't have kids in school so please enlighten me. When people say schools don't "allow" absences, what exactly does that mean? Do they like fine you or something? What authority exactly do they have to say no?

I would think the kid would remember the vacation time and bonding time with family far more than the school time. It shocks me that so many people think school at the elementary or secondary level would be more important than family time. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Nope, never. As someone pointed out upthread, school is only 180 days per year, leaving plenty of time for vacations. Yes, it is more costly to travel when school is not in session, but to us, that is the cost of having kids.

Jack: what do you consider an "amazing vacation" that can only be completed during the school days?
Last edited by Big Dog on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:48 pm

28fe6 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 pm
I don't have kids in school so please enlighten me. When people say schools don't "allow" absences, what exactly does that mean? Do they like fine you or something? What authority exactly do they have to say no?

I would think the kid would remember the vacation time and bonding time with family far more than the school time. It shocks me that so many people think school at the elementary or secondary level would be more important than family time. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
What???

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:50 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm
I love travel and my son has gotten my travel bug so yes, I do pull him from school but no more than five or six days a year so that he can sometimes accompany me when I travel. We have done Chicago, Phoenix, San Francisco, Washington DC, and a few others. We each very much enjoy these trips, it’s huge for bonding and broadening perspectives, and I sleep fine at night.
As a parent, it is often difficult (and sometimes surprising) what children remember and value from experiences when very young. Our son, from a very early age, loved to travel - whether by air, train or car. To our pleasant surprise, now - 30-35 years later - he seems to still have positive memories of travel we did.

I also well understand the experiences and opinions about not taking kids out of school - especially about "privileged parents". ;)

Several of the October trips we took were in conjunction with my company paid travel and really fantastic air fare deals available then. Fortunately, at that time, my employer had the entire Christmas period as a company holiday - so we could take family car trips when school was out for the holiday.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:51 pm

28fe6 wrote:

I would think the kid would remember the vacation time and bonding time with family far more than the school time. It shocks me that so many people think school at the elementary or secondary level would be more important than family time. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek].
Secondary level you can get behind if it's a serious school. Elementary, I don't think I learned anything except how to read and do arithmetic.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:53 pm

28fe6 wrote:

My parents treated school as my “job”. I was expected to do as well as possible. That meant attending school. We had plenty of family time.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks all. Still torn on this but am leaning towards not missing unless a very unique circumstance.
celia wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm
Kids are only in school for about 180 days a year, which is a little less than half of the days in the year. I'm sure you could schedule your vacation during the other 180+ days.

The only time I ever took our kids out of school were if THEY were sick or there was a family funeral. But since we were paying tuition, EVERY school day was valuable to us. (Even if you don't pay tuition, you are paying taxes so your kids can attend. Do you want to waste your tax money?)

Why don't you take your amazing family vacation in April? Spring vacations are staggered so not everyone is off at the same time.
I wouldn't consider my tax money wasted. I think the cost per day of school is quite low.

I love where I live but my least favorite time of year here is the middle of the winter so a family getaway then would be ideal. I would even consider moving our family to a warm weather HCOLA but have a great set up here close to family. We can't do a vacation over Christmas break as we have family visiting and April is quite nice here. That may seem selfish or wrong, but my child is in kindergarten, does very well with school and I could probably make the argument that she would learn more on vacation. With all that said, we may skip the winter vacation
gasdoc wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:33 pm
No. We wanted to send the message to our daughter that school is too important, and we wanted to send the same message to her teachers. Now, she does not cut classes in college. Cause-effect relationship? Maybe.

Gasdoc
Interestingly I skipped quite a few college classes (but still got good grades). I think you bring up a good point though that school should be taken seriously especially as kids get older.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:57 pm

If it's for Disney world, no. If it's for international travel, definitely as it offers some of the best educational opportunities around. We've done it, international, and had them write a paper about their trip to help them focus /remember and satisfy the teachers if needed.
Last edited by bob60014 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:58 pm

My wife struggles to use the PTO her employer gives her due to hospital shift coverage.

We will pull our daughter away from kindergarten for an extra day or two and we confirmed with the teacher that she is ok with that. Also my daughter is towards the top of her class so there are no concerns.

I wouldn't go beyond a few days. As she gets older, middle and high school I dont think we would do that. Too much important learning. Hopefully my wife will be up in seniority by then.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:00 pm

celia wrote:
The counterpoint is that kids go to school 180 days per year, which is almost half of all days in the year. Is it really going to be a problem if they "only" go 170 days?

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:02 pm

28fe6 wrote:

I know they can report it to social workers. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Obviously they can mark attendance and tardiness on report cards, even have it impact grades. I don't think it's devaluing the family, I think it's their job to take the education they're providing seriously and they don't want unexcused absences to pile up. I've heard it can also make it tougher for teachers when some students fall behind.
Big Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:48 pm
Nope, never. As someone pointed out upthread, school is only 180 days per year, leaving plenty of time for vacations. Yes, it is more costly to travel when school is not in session, but to us, that is the cost of having kids.

Jack: what do you consider an "amazing vacation" that can only be completed during the school days?
I just posted this to a similar question:

I love where I live but my least favorite time of year here is the middle of the winter so a family getaway then would be ideal. I would even consider moving our family to a warm weather HCOLA but have a great set up here and are close to family. We can't do a vacation over Christmas break as we have family visiting from out of town and April is quite nice here. That may seem selfish or wrong, but my child is in kindergarten, does very well with school and I could probably make the argument that she would learn more on vacation. With all that said, we may skip the winter vacation

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 pm

We have tried not to, but some years we chose to because of timing of schedules. I would say it gets harder and harder to pull the kids as they get older. In high school, my kids were upset if we pulled them. Before high school, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you do pull them, ask the teachers for work in advance that they can do on vacation.
Mark

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
The message it sends your child about your view of the importance of school and about your willingness to put your needs ahead of the child’s needs are the biggest downsides, but a student does return from absences behind the curve with school work.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

28fe6 wrote:
When I was in high school, in my senior year, my dad, who was mayor of the city took me for a week of skiing in Vermont. I remember this very well because when we returned, I asked my dad for a note for school but since I was 18, he said to write my own because I was a legal adult. I did. The principal called my dad and said I'd have a week of detention. My dad tried to get me out of it but the principal only gave him the option that he could go to detention for me.

Although I showed up for each day of detention, I was very active in school and president of a number of clubs so was excused for club meetings going on after school.

With our kids, even in kindergarden, the school system strongly told us that taking kids out for vacation was not allowed. I do remember taking trips to Aruba and pulling the kids out for the last day before school vacation and returned the day after the restart of school. By the time our kids were in high school and middle school, I wish we pulled them out for vacation. The schools were mostly teaching them how to skype with their friends during class, play games, watch videos and go online during class on the school required laptops.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Did you pull your kids from school to go on amazing family vacations or was school too important and you planned all trips around the school schedule?
We have tried to minimize pulling them from school over the years but sometimes it is just unavoidable, especially when your in-laws live overseas and their school schedule doesn't sync up with our school schedule.

When we do pull our kids from school, I always make sure the kids do as much of the makeup as possible before they leave and when we get back, make sure they get everything made back up promptly. Thus far, they are in grade and middle school and generally they can miss a week and still make it all up in a few hours. My kids get all A's though. If they struggled in several classes, I would be less inclined to take them out of school.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 pm

I have done this frequently, no issues with the school approving the absence or arranging make up assignments.

Always ask for approval prior to planning the trip.

Bonus is travel can be significantly cheaper during the school year.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Americans don't use all their PTO as it is, and they're massively stressed out at work. I have no data but I wouldn't be surprised if part of that workaholism comes from school systems and these sort of perfect attendance policies. Leaving for a week to make memories as a family (and get some R & R) is not the same as letting a child stay home for a week because they don't want to go.

I missed at least a week of school each year during high school for family trips abroad. I always asked for work ahead of time and handed it in before I left or turned it in immediately when I came back. Somehow managed to get into a few colleges and find a job! We've taken our kids out of elementary school for a few days to go immerse themselves in a Spanish-speaking city.

The family memories made were fantastic. Life is more than grades.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 pm

No. I think iit sends entirely the wrong message. They have plenty of time off to plan vacation. Our school is very strict and I don't blame them. They will not send work for the kids to do. It's a lot of work for teachers to do that.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 pm

My kids aren't quite school age yet. We've thought about it and decided it just depends. I don't see a problem with it in most cases.

Regarding the 180 days comments...some trips can't be made in a weekend's time, and some trips are seasonal.
Last edited by TxAg on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Most if not all states have truancy laws in their education code.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:29 pm
We never did. Always thought it set a very poor example. No regrets.
same for us.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:41 pm

we pull our kids for a week once a year. this year our eldest is in 8th grade so not sure what will change with high school. 8th grader is a straight A student.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Not directed any any particular poster, but why are so many people mentioning their kids' grades? Does the answer to the OP depend upon the kids' IQs, grades, popularity, something else? Or does the answer to the OP cause the good grades?

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 pm

OP I would meet with teacher and/or principle and try to get the blessing for such a trip.
And if it's a hard no, then find out the consequences.
Be curious to hear the answers to those questions, and also their rationale.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm
Not directed any any particular poster, but why are so many people mentioning their kids' grades? Does the answer to the OP depend upon the kids' IQs, grades, popularity, something else? Or does the answer to the OP cause the good grades?
I think it's to clarify that they aren't sacrificing academic performance for a family experience.
If they had a kid that was working hard to make Bs, a week of missed school might affect them/require a lot of extra effort by the teachers.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm

jalbert wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
The message it sends your child about your view of the importance of school and about your willingness to put your needs ahead of the child’s needs are the biggest downsides, but a student does return from absences behind the curve with school work.
Or it sends a message that family vacations and expanding one's world view through travel is more important than 'insert subject' and what Tammy and Johhnie had for lunch on Friday.

This is easily debatable.

I think it comes down to personal choice.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:11 pm

We pull our kids regularly, but they are in kindergarten and 2nd grade. Not sure what we will do in a few years.

You only live once, and you have no idea when your time is up.

Enjoy the world and your family.
Fractions aren’t going anywhere.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 pm

I can assure all that neither my son nor I will regret the time we spent traveling together. Life is short and so is childhood. They leave home so fast.

And trust me, plenty of time is wasted in school — it’s not wall-to-wall learning. He spent two hours planning a class pickle festival the other day. That’s fine but to me travel is easily equally valuable as a pickle festival.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Teague wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 pm
Bingo. Public schools care because their funding is dependent on attendance rates. Those teachers care as it affects their pay eventually if they can't prevent low attendance rates. Private schools don't care if your kid even comes to school IF they do well on exams and get into a good college (both help in their recruiting endeavors).

In the end, the schools care about their OWN economics and how your kid affects it.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:37 pm

28fe6 wrote:
They have next to nothing. Someone mentioned a truancy law; good luck with that one. There is almost certainly no authority to fine.

In our system the absences are considered “unexcused” which has, again, almost no real consequence. Since the teachers cannot excuse the absences (they are prohibited from doing so) I no longer play the “ask permission” game; rather, we send a note a few weeks ahead of time saying DS will be out the 21-23rd; we will make him complete any work you would like to send in advance.

Supposedly if there are more than 20 unexcused absences the child may be held back. We have never come near even half that number but let’s also be real, they’re not going to hold a kid with high marks back a year regardless of absences especially if those absences were travel related.

Post by 123 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:41 pm

We have never and will not pull children from school for vacations. It detracts from the commitment to education and sends a message that vacation has a higher "family value" then education. The only time we have allowed an unexcused absence for a child was one day when a university under consideration had a "preview" day (on a weekday) for prospective students that we thought would be valuable.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Our kids are just getting to the age where school is more difficult. Our oldest just started middle school this year, and the younger 2 are in elementary school still.

In the last 2 school years (last September when oldest was still in elementary school) we have taken the kids out of school for a week to go to the Big Island Hawaii, and this year took them out for 3 school days (coinciding with a break in school resulting in a 5 day weekend) to go to Paris. Our kids still talk about all of the things we did on our trip to Hawaii a year later, and we just got back from Paris a couple of weeks ago so memories are still very fresh from that trip, but I guarantee they got a lot more out of the trips than they would have had they been in school instead. I know this because I saw he work they missed and had to make up.

As our kids get older I bet we will take them out less due to it becoming more difficult to make up missed work, and the potential effect on grades.

And to all the people saying why not just take them when there are school breaks or in the summer, that isn’t possible for every single employed person. My call group is divided up among 5 people, 4 of whom have school aged kids. So guess who requests every school spring break and fall break and Christmas holiday off from the call schedule? Sometimes that means I have to work those days that kids are off school when it’s my turn. Should I just not take vacation then? We do go some in the summer as well when the kids are out of school, but even then it’s not as if I can take my entire allotment of vacation days during the summer months due to call coverage and inability to take too many days off in a row in order to see post op patients and keep my clinic running.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

123 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:41 pm
We have never and will not pull children from school for vacations. It detracts from the commitment to education and sends a message that vacation has a higher "family value" then education. The only time we have allowed an unexcused absence for a child was one day when a university under consideration had a "preview" day (on a weekday) for prospective students that we thought would be valuable.
Please. If going on a few vacations sends that message to your kids then you’ve got other issues.

My kids will always remember the weeks we spent in Hawaii and in Paris and the things they learned about history, and art, and language, and culture, but probably still have zero recollection of anything about Mesopotamia or topographic maps that they had to make up when we got back.

My children learn that education is important from us in plenty of other ways than us making sure they are in school the required 180 days per year.
Last edited by Erwin007 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:44 pm

celia wrote:

I want to maximize my tax dollars.. so the bigger question is why are they only in school 180 days a year?

School is their "job", so why aren't they working 240 days like everyone else?

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
I'm curious how others feel about this. Did you pull your kids from school to go on amazing family vacations or was school too important and you planned all trips around the school schedule?
Our message to our sons was always that learning was important, and that school was their #1 job.

We wanted to set the right example and convey the importance. So we scheduled our vacations around school. It wasn't at all hard to do. Delayed gratification isn't all that hard. IMHO, it's ridiculous to pretend that you can't have meaningful and memorable family time without cutting into school days.

Frankly, there are plenty of long weekends, school vacations, and summer. I never understood the need to take more time than that.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:51 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
I'm curious how others feel about this. Did you pull your kids from school to go on amazing family vacations or was school too important and you planned all trips around the school schedule?
Our message to our sons was always that learning was important, and that school was their #1 job.

We scheduled our vacations around school.
That’s great that you had a job that allowed this. That isn’t possible for everyone.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm
I personally would feel quite different pulling my kids from school if they were easily coasting, getting all A's vs getting C's struggling to grasp concepts and keep up. For a struggling student it would seem more detrimental and tougher on not only them but also the teachers