Home Buying Books. [Looking for books about buying a home]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kadibex1

Home Buying Books. [Looking for books about buying a home]

Post by kadibex1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 pm

So I am in the market of buying a home. Thing is that I know absolutely nothing about real estate. Are there any good book(s) and websites out there, which give you a break down of the step by step process? What to do, what not to do, how to get bang for you buck etc, etc. So I am not going into this blindly.

kadibex1

Re: Home Buying Books.

Post by kadibex1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Any takers?

Dottie57

Re: Home Buying Books.

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Look at Amazon. There are books with good star ratings.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Home Buying Books. [Looking for books about buying a home]

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (books). I retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm

As a first time buyer <3yrs ago, there is an endless amount of information about this on the internet, I'm not so sure reading a physical book would provide any benefit over a Google search.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:40 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm
As a first time buyer <3yrs ago, there is an endless amount of information about this on the internet, I'm not so sure reading a physical book would provide any benefit over a Google search.
+1
As a first time buyer 6 months ago, I can tell you things change too quickly for books to be relevant. A lot will also depend on your local RE market, so what you read in one place may not be applicable to you at all. Some of the basics (financing, home inspection, etc.) are covered well enough in various articles you can Google.

As for actual reading, I recommend this to get you started on budgeting for your future housing expense: https://affordanything.com/is-renting-b ... nt-or-buy/