Fairmark Forum (Tax Forum)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Goodman60

Fairmark Forum (Tax Forum)

Post by Goodman60 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 am

I noticed that the Fairmark (Tax) Forum recently reformatted. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to re-register and log in. Folks like Alan S. and other Bogleheads are over there. Any insight on what's going on and how to re-register/log in?

earlyout

Re: Fairmark Forum (Tax Forum)

Post by earlyout » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 am

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks for posting this........I had re-registered for the new forum and had actually posted there. I think
subsequent to that the format changed and I noticed recently that the forum was inactive with most posts
a wk or so old. I didn't have a need to post so never noticed that logging in was no longer obvious which possibly explains why the forum is inactive. Whoever registers/logs in may want to make a comment in the other topics forum about this why may make the forum active again.

I tried to register and the website says the user name is already taken which confirms that I re-registered but I
can find the log in button...........where is it....probably obvious but I couldn't find it....will try again.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 am

Apparently you cannot use your former user name to re-register. That's horrible and find it hard to believe. I would like my former user name and then be able to change my password to a new one. If anyone has luck re-registering please post here how you accomplished it. Thanks.
Tom D.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

tom....where did you see that?

only thing I see is:
"Sad to say, we haven’t been able to transfer registrations from our old message board, which ran on badly outdated software. Previous users will have to register again."

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Kaneohe - I just attempted to register with the link you provided. I entered my former user name and my current email address and two errors came up:
user name already registered
email address already registered
Tom D.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Tom..........not my link, but I attempted to register just adding a 1 to my user name and it came up with the e-mail address error like your (but not user name). Surely they wouldn't make us change e-mail address, and I thought
I already registered for new board, so I think I'm registered already. Now if I could find the link to log in, I could prove something...one way or another. Usually register and log in links are close together but I see nothing.

Electron

Post by Electron » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I registered with my original user name and email address on October 8 and the forum appeared to be operating normally. After a few days the log-in capability disappeared and it has been that way all week.
Electron

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 pm

After some quick surfing, I think they are using WordPress with a forum plugin.

I don't think anyone has thought about backwards compatibility. Not only are older posts gone, but they've broken all the links in the wiki. :annoyed

For example: Timing of transactions to reduce taxes (External Links)

Fairmark mutual fund tax guide - Oops! That page can’t be found.

A search shows the new link is here: Mutual Fund Tax Guide
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I have not signed up on fairmark.com. So, if I sign up, I shouldn't have any problem, right?

I am looking for suggestions as to what my user name should be on fairmark.com. :)

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Electron - As you were posting I was attempting to register again using a different user name but using my current and only email address. Fairmark's system replied I was not allowed to register because someone else was using my email address, which is not possible.

Kaye has a mess on his hands and I doubt he knows about it. I wish there was a way to contact him.
Tom D.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 pm

FWIW, I'm very familiar with forum software, WordPress, etc. However, I'm not going to conjecture on causes or solutions. I would assume the site owner has good intentions and had to go in this direction.

A better course of action would be to post a question in the Fairmark Forum and ask the site owner to explain what happened.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Electron

Post by Electron » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:00 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:25 pm
I wish there was a way to contact him.
This link provides information about Kaye and a way to contact him.

https://fairmark.com/about/about-the-author/
Electron

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Sent Kaye an email.
Last edited by tomd37 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.

Goodman60

Post by Goodman60 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm the original poster here. Thank you for the link. It worked for me. The traffic over there isn't anything like it is here, but it's a great forum at tax time. Hopefully they'll have it all up and running as we approach it. Particularly this year with all the big tax changes, the ability to chew on issues will be important. I feel better now that I see I wasn't the only one having issues. Again, hopefully they'll iron things out soon.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm

When I registered for the new forum I used a different user name and email address than I had used for the old forum.

I went back and looked for a place to log in to the new forum using my new credentials but could find nothing. Alan S. has a post on the new forum so perhaps he will chime in here or perhaps he knows a way to contact Fairmark regarding the missing login.

The really bad news is that all of the threads on the old forum could not be moved to the new forum and now they are no longer available.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:47 am

I was able to create a new user name and password following earlyout’s link. However, I absolutely could not find a way to log back in.

I think the fairmark site is so broken that it is virtually useless. I did see that Alan S and 47% posted a few comments. Will either care to tell us how they made it that far?

Paging Alan and 47%.....

Electron

Post by Electron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:14 pm

The Fairmark forum was operational for a few days before the login problem appeared.

A good alternative for Retirement Account questions is the IRA Discussion Forum sponsored by Ed Slott and Company.

https://www.irahelp.com/forums/ira-discussion-forum

The previous content on the Fairmark site might become available at some point. The top posting in each of the forum sections provides information. There is a comment mentioning that more than 80,000 messages have been preserved offline and they hope to make that content available in some form.
Electron

kaneohe

Up Now

Post by kaneohe » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm

It's up and working again. Log in is obvious. I logged in with old user name and password and it worked fine as long as I didn't have the CAPS on accidentally. No obvious explanations........maybe somebody rebooted something which is the only thing I know to do on most things. :happy

edit to add: I had sent message to KT using Electron's link and after I submitted post above, found e-mail from KT
indicating a software glitch fixed.
Last edited by kaneohe on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Sent a personal message to Kaye Thomas through his website and had a response from him indicating he had fixed the sign on issues. Looks like it is working again. Thanks very much Kaye!
Tom D.