Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Nearly A Moose
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:34 pm

I need recommendations for a decent wine fridge. I'm finding this especially hard to research, as it's a niche enough product that it doesn't seem to get widely reviewed by the standard third parties, it seems easy to drastically overpay, and quality seems to be all over the place. I think I need something mid-range - I'm wary of the $300 Best Buy models, but I don't need a $4,000 model (yet!). We have nice but not amazing bottles we're storying ($100 range, not $1,000 range). We drink almost entirely reds. Here's our criteria:
-roughly 50 bottle capacity
-freestanding (ideally capable of being built-in later)
-pull-out drawers
-single-zone (for reds)
-lock (we have young kids)
-needs to accommodate non-standard 750 mL bottles (eg Cotes du Rhone)

Any suggestions?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7480
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:34 pm
I need recommendations for a decent wine fridge. I'm finding this especially hard to research, as it's a niche enough product that it doesn't seem to get widely reviewed by the standard third parties, it seems easy to drastically overpay, and quality seems to be all over the place. I think I need something mid-range - I'm wary of the $300 Best Buy models, but I don't need a $4,000 model (yet!). We have nice but not amazing bottles we're storying ($100 range, not $1,000 range). We drink almost entirely reds. Here's our criteria:
-roughly 50 bottle capacity
-freestanding (ideally capable of being built-in later)
-pull-out drawers
-single-zone (for reds)
-lock (we have young kids)

Any suggestions?
When we moved into our new house, there wasn't a cool "cellar" for wine (too much of it was finished, plus the furnaces, etc.).

So we looked through Wine Enthusiast, for simplicity, after not liking what we saw at the big box stores.

What we've had for about 16 years is very similar to

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/wine-ent ... igodigital

although I'm not sure it's the identical unit. It cost much less back then, no surprise.
They also have a category for 6-50 bottles, which are quite a bit less

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/storage/ ... fpid=17927

but at first glance, I don't see a category for 50-100 bottles (?).
Some of these look to be built-in's.
I'm not sure that the free-standing units can later become "built-in", at least not the way one intended to be built in would be, but maybe there are some (?).

It doesn't have a lighted interior (like some others shown seem to have), and it's single zoned, as we also drink reds exclusively.
It has a lock, and a lighted temp display.

We removed/re-arranged one or two of the shelves so we could arrange the bottles where we had full cases, and also we have some half bottles.
It's worked just fine, without any problem.

It's convenient, and the temp is perfect.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 pm

We bought a 40+ bottle, single zone, compressor, free standing, wine fridge from Sears for about $330 a few years ago.
Worked very well.
Similar to https://www.compactappliance.com/edgest ... 440SZ.html

Then, we renovated our kitchen and installed the Sub-Zero under the counter.
Works way better. Only $3500.
https://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/w ... anel-ready

User avatar
Info_Hound
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Info_Hound » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am

I installed a free standing wine cooler so it looks like a built in this past March. I needed the cooling fan to vent from the front. Mine is much smaller than what you are looking for but has many of the qualities you stated. I have an open concept home and I need the wine cooler to be very quiet as there are no walls between the kitchen and the living room. I did not want to hear a compressor running while in the living room. Like you, the reviews I saw for the big box coolers were not good for reliability. Since it has been only 6 months installed, I can't remark on reliability, but so far so good.

I bought one on line at https://www.winecoolerdirect.com/?gclid ... gIqo_D_BwE. A truck delivered the unit to my garage, no hassles.

My needs were in line with the Danby DWC276 model, however they did have larger versions available that might work for your set up. Since installation, the unit does run very quiet and has become the envy of my neighbors when we get together. In fact, they helped with stocking the initial set of bottles. :beer

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 2620
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:12 am

I had posted a similar question a year ago.

I ended up buying a vino temp from Costco using the Citi card to get an extra 2 years on the warranty. I'm very happy with it.

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Info_Hound wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am
I installed a free standing wine cooler so it looks like a built in this past March. I needed the cooling fan to vent from the front. Mine is much smaller than what you are looking for but has many of the qualities you stated. I have an open concept home and I need the wine cooler to be very quiet as there are no walls between the kitchen and the living room. I did not want to hear a compressor running while in the living room. Like you, the reviews I saw for the big box coolers were not good for reliability. Since it has been only 6 months installed, I can't remark on reliability, but so far so good.

I bought one on line at https://www.winecoolerdirect.com/?gclid ... gIqo_D_BwE. A truck delivered the unit to my garage, no hassles.

My needs were in line with the Danby DWC276 model, however they did have larger versions available that might work for your set up. Since installation, the unit does run very quiet and has become the envy of my neighbors when we get together. In fact, they helped with stocking the initial set of bottles. :beer
Thanks. Will check out the vendor. I infer you were happy with their service? My friends seemed more interested in helping empty the old built in one before we move...
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:12 am
I had posted a similar question a year ago.

I ended up buying a vino temp from Costco using the Citi card to get an extra 2 years on the warranty. I'm very happy with it.
How has the vino temp held up? Is it quiet? For some reason I didn't find your post when I searched, so thanks for the reference.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 2620
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:12 am
I had posted a similar question a year ago.

I ended up buying a vino temp from Costco using the Citi card to get an extra 2 years on the warranty. I'm very happy with it.
How has the vino temp held up? Is it quiet? For some reason I didn't find your post when I searched, so thanks for the reference.
So far so good.

It's in the open living room/kitchen and the sound is not noticible. It's quieter than the fridge.

I would buy it again.
Last edited by unclescrooge on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murgatroyd
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Murgatroyd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 am

We have a ULine. Too noisy.

User avatar
Info_Hound
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Freestanding Wine Fridge Reccomendations

Post by Info_Hound » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:30 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm
Info_Hound wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am
I installed a free standing wine cooler so it looks like a built in this past March. I needed the cooling fan to vent from the front. Mine is much smaller than what you are looking for but has many of the qualities you stated. I have an open concept home and I need the wine cooler to be very quiet as there are no walls between the kitchen and the living room. I did not want to hear a compressor running while in the living room. Like you, the reviews I saw for the big box coolers were not good for reliability. Since it has been only 6 months installed, I can't remark on reliability, but so far so good.

I bought one on line at https://www.winecoolerdirect.com/?gclid ... gIqo_D_BwE. A truck delivered the unit to my garage, no hassles.

My needs were in line with the Danby DWC276 model, however they did have larger versions available that might work for your set up. Since installation, the unit does run very quiet and has become the envy of my neighbors when we get together. In fact, they helped with stocking the initial set of bottles. :beer
Thanks. Will check out the vendor. I infer you were happy with their service? My friends seemed more interested in helping empty the old built in one before we move...
Yes, I have been very happy with it and delivery was not a problem. Would buy it again. The Danby models had consistently good reviews for both quiet running and reliability. As to your neighbors...maybe you need new neighbors, come on over. :)

Post Reply