How to take long trips?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

How to take long trips?

Post by RadAudit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 pm

I received a cruise line's "wish book." (Never take a cruise, your mailbox will never be empty.) For a mere $250k +/-, you and a significant other can take a 245 day trip around the world. Avoiding the obvious concerns about cost, my concern is how does one manage to be away from home for 245 days? How do you arrange to pay your bills? Or taxes? Or, pick up the mail? Or, cut the grass?

I'm sure there are a host of things I'm not even aware of; but, those are some of the things that come to mind.
Last edited by RadAudit on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

StevieG72

Re: How to take long trips?

Post by StevieG72 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Thats a LONG time to be on the same ship.

There are many around the world cruises that are closer to 3 months & approximately $30k.

3 months is no big deal, most of my imortant bills are on autopay. 245 days would take some planning!

I would like to do an around the world trip when I retire.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I spent 3 years traveling the world while still running a business. With technology, it's really not that hard. I sold or donated everything I owned (which wasn't much) and didn't have a house. Today, I buy all my houses with the intention of turning them into rentals after 12 months anyway, so every 12 months I have the opportunity to just up and go back overseas if I wanted to.

It's not as difficult as you'd think.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks as if the consensus answer is take shorter trips and / or unplug from the community as much as possible prior to shoving off.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.