Help with Cox compatible modem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cobra Commander

Help with Cox compatible modem

Post by Cobra Commander » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 am

We are getting ready to switch from FIOS to Cox as our FIOS rate is going up and I see that Cox requires you to either buy a separate modem or rent one from them for $10 per month. It seems like buying the equipment would be a better option than paying $240 over the term of the agreement. I see that Cox's website includes this list of compatible modems: https://www.cox.com/residential/support ... odems.html

At this point I use the phone option for when I telework as the call quality is a little better than my cell phone so my question is which of these modems on here would be the best option for me (router recommendations welcome too!)? We stream a little bit using Vudu and otherwise use the internet for browsing and telework so I wouldn't think we need a top of the line modem. But, I see that only a few of the modems are listed as "compatible" with the voice service. Am I limited to only purchasing one of those modems or would all of them work with the voice service? I see that Best Buy has a list of modems that work (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/cable-modems-for-cox) but again I am hoping for one that is compatible with the phone service. Am I really limited to the few modems on the Cox website above that say compatible with voice or will any of the modems on that site work? If so, which one should I get?

mouses

Re: Help with Cox compatible modem

Post by mouses » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 am

Be careful that the box says Cox compatible. If it does not, Cox's system may not accept it. They have a database of serial numbers and will only allow modems with those serial numbers to connect.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

If you are going with 100mb (or around that speed), then you can go DOCSIS 3.0. You need a 3.1 for gigabit (300mb + speeds).

I have a very basic Hitron + Google Wifi router.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZyXEL-DOCSIS-3 ... :rk:5:pf:0

I like the modem only (not combo units). Then buy a 1 or 3 unit Google Wifi system. 3 unit if you have a large house with multiple floors.

The Google Wifi system is kind of spendy. $99 for a single unit at Best Buy currently. The modem is ~$40.

If you go DOCSIS 3.1, then they will be more. But, I agree that buying is better than leasing for $10/month.

As far as I know, they all work with voice over ip.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am
If you are going with 100mb (or around that speed), then you can go DOCSIS 3.0. You need a 3.1 for gigabit (300mb + speeds).

I have a very basic Hitron + Google Wifi router.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZyXEL-DOCSIS-3 ... :rk:5:pf:0

I like the modem only (not combo units). Then buy a 1 or 3 unit Google Wifi system. 3 unit if you have a large house with multiple floors.

The Google Wifi system is kind of spendy. $99 for a single unit at Best Buy currently. The modem is ~$40.

If you go DOCSIS 3.1, then they will be more. But, I agree that buying is better than leasing for $10/month.

As far as I know, they all work with voice over ip.
Thank you, that helps. So I can get any modem on that cox list on their web page and it will work with VOIP? I wonder what that notation means regarding voice capability on the cox website. Maybe thats for commercial phone systems or something.
I think our package will have the 300 mbps but do you think we really need all that speed for our stated purposes (streaming and teleworking)? If not, I would probably just get a simpler modem. Do I need dual band and all that or is single band sufficient? Seems like dual band is more for heavy users like gamers.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm

We have 100mb and we get 100% of 100mb. It is fast.

I can do 5 HD streams at once. Google Wifi isn't the fastest, but it is rock solid and easy to set up. We have 3 units. Wife's parents have a 2 unit system and my parents have 1 unit. All fast and no rebooting of routers.

I think you will have to ask Cox about the Voip features. Any modem/router supports it, but there may be ways to carve out a separate channel/bandwidth dedicated to Voip.

I just avoid the modem/router combos. Arris/Motorola modem only should also be just fine. Shop Amazon and eBay for the best deal. There are used Hitron/Zyksel for ~$25 on eBay. I do not know about the serial number range from a previous poster. The installer logs the serial number in the system and that activates the modem/service.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm
I just avoid the modem/router combos. Arris/Motorola modem only should also be just fine. Shop Amazon and eBay for the best deal. There are used Hitron/Zyksel for ~$25 on eBay. I do not know about the serial number range from a previous poster. The installer logs the serial number in the system and that activates the modem/service.
This is where I ran into trouble. The Cox people struggled for at least an hour trying to figure out why their system would not accept the serial number, and then found their system had a database of serial numbers and if the new one was not in that database, it would not be accepted.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 am

Cobra Commander wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm
Thank you, that helps. So I can get any modem on that cox list on their web page and it will work with VOIP?
Yes.
I wonder what that notation means regarding voice capability on the cox website. Maybe thats for commercial phone systems or something.
I don't have Cox, but it seems that is the case.
https://www.cox.com/business/phone/hosted-voice.html
The models that are denoted as "Cox Voip compatible", such as this one, have a VoiP bridge integrated :
https://www.cox.com/residential/support ... g1682.html

Not sure if that bridge can be used only with Cox voip service, or others too.
I think our package will have the 300 mbps but do you think we really need all that speed for our stated purposes (streaming and teleworking)?
300 Mbps is probably not needed unless you are streaming multiple 4K videos at once.
For teleworking, it is overkill.
If not, I would probably just get a simpler modem. Do I need dual band and all that or is single band sufficient? Seems like dual band is more for heavy users like gamers.
Dual-band refers to the capabilities of the Wifi router. All Wireless AC routers support dual-band. Single band routers are typically older N models, though there are N models that are dual-band too, just less common (and those are old, and should be avoided).
Most smartphones from the past few years support Wireless AC, and will be faster with a dual band Wifi router.
This is not just for gamers. Laptops can benefit from the higher AC speed, too.
I have a desktop upstairs that doesn't have an ethernet plug nearby. I put a PCI-E wireless AC NIC in it. I am able to do backups over Wifi at about 400 Mbps with wifi AC. With a single band router, the speed would be much lower, and backups would take hours rather than minutes.

For gamers, you really want to avoid Wifi because of latency. Use wired ethernet directly to the router, if at all possible. Wifi AC may have lower latency than N, though, so the dual band routers could help.

Personally, I use the following components :
Arris SB8200 . This is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Works well with Comcast Gigabit service (940 Mbps down/40 mbps up). Don't have Cox here.
Orbi wifi router, 3 units. Wouldn't recommend it as firmware updates often make it unstable, though it's been fine lately.
Ooma hub for Voip.

If you have separate components, vs an integrated one, you can later just upgrade one.
I have the same Ooma hub for VoiP for over a decade.
I have changed the cable modem 3 times over the last 5 years.
For the Wifi router, I also had at least 3 in the last decadE.
Separate components cost more, just like Hifi though. They are more flexible.

Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 am

madbrain wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 am
Cobra Commander wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm
Thank you, that helps. So I can get any modem on that cox list on their web page and it will work with VOIP?
Yes.
I wonder what that notation means regarding voice capability on the cox website. Maybe thats for commercial phone systems or something.
I don't have Cox, but it seems that is the case.
https://www.cox.com/business/phone/hosted-voice.html
The models that are denoted as "Cox Voip compatible", such as this one, have a VoiP bridge integrated :
https://www.cox.com/residential/support ... g1682.html

Not sure if that bridge can be used only with Cox voip service, or others too.
I think our package will have the 300 mbps but do you think we really need all that speed for our stated purposes (streaming and teleworking)?
300 Mbps is probably not needed unless you are streaming multiple 4K videos at once.
For teleworking, it is overkill.
If not, I would probably just get a simpler modem. Do I need dual band and all that or is single band sufficient? Seems like dual band is more for heavy users like gamers.
Dual-band refers to the capabilities of the Wifi router. All Wireless AC routers support dual-band. Single band routers are typically older N models, though there are N models that are dual-band too, just less common (and those are old, and should be avoided).
Most smartphones from the past few years support Wireless AC, and will be faster with a dual band Wifi router.
This is not just for gamers. Laptops can benefit from the higher AC speed, too.
I have a desktop upstairs that doesn't have an ethernet plug nearby. I put a PCI-E wireless AC NIC in it. I am able to do backups over Wifi at about 400 Mbps with wifi AC. With a single band router, the speed would be much lower, and backups would take hours rather than minutes.

For gamers, you really want to avoid Wifi because of latency. Use wired ethernet directly to the router, if at all possible. Wifi AC may have lower latency than N, though, so the dual band routers could help.

Personally, I use the following components :
Arris SB8200 . This is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Works well with Comcast Gigabit service (940 Mbps down/40 mbps up). Don't have Cox here.
Orbi wifi router, 3 units. Wouldn't recommend it as firmware updates often make it unstable, though it's been fine lately.
Ooma hub for Voip.

If you have separate components, vs an integrated one, you can later just upgrade one.
I have the same Ooma hub for VoiP for over a decade.
I have changed the cable modem 3 times over the last 5 years.
For the Wifi router, I also had at least 3 in the last decadE.
Separate components cost more, just like Hifi though. They are more flexible.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I think I am going to go with the Netgear CM500-100NAS. Funny you mention the N routers as I have an old one laying around (maybe like 10 years old) that I was toying with using. I will probably just bite the bullet and get a new router though and will probably buy the Netgear AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router. Both products have a lot of good reviews and I will be glad to have this purchase squared away so I can hop over to Cox before FIOS increases my rate!