When to change tires; and what brand

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

Re: When to change tires; and what brand

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:44 pm

barreg wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm
dm200 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:50 pm
Sometimes at Costco - they do not always have the desired tires in stock. It can make sense to check with them a bit before you need to have the desired tires installed.
If they don't have the tires in stock, you can usually buy them on their website and they'll be delivered to your local Costco within about a week
They never have my tires in stock, their selection is rather limited. I always order through them and have them installed upon arrival, usually about 1 week.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Looks like a lot of Michelin fans here. What do you think of the Continentals? I was looking at this test report from TireRack

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=236
My signature has been deleted.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:36 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 pm
Looks like a lot of Michelin fans here. What do you think of the Continentals? I was looking at this test report from TireRack

I bought 2 tires from Continental just 3 weeks back; but mainly because they were the brand that my BMW came with when the car was bought brand new

five2one

Post by five2one » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Ummm, the wear bars are there for a reason.

Beyond that, any abnormalities may trigger a tire swap.

Keep in mind the date of production as old tires are also dangerous.

Until you have experienced the joy of a blowout you really don't appreciate good quality tires.

I only buy name brand tires and usually michelin or goodyears.

Every manufacture has a cheap line, high end line, and some with bad history.

Don't cheap on tires, your life is literally riding on them.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 pm
It is October 17th, here in Ohio, I have seen snow at the Pumpkin Show, (google it, it started today) IF you won't see snow or heavy rain, go ahead and drive to the 3/32 level, IF you may see snow, soon, I would recommend, pulling them at 4/32.

I try to save money also, I detail my gas mileage on Fuelly, keep my tires rotated, balanced, alignment correct and yes, I check tire pressures monthly, and I did it weekly before TPS's became standard equipment.

IF you are down to 5/32 or lower, the tires are more prone to picking up a road hazard item, nail, screw, piece of wire, etc. The damage to a tire with less tread on it, makes it more prone to total failure on the road, unless you have run-flats.

I don't like to change them on the edge of the interstate, it is a safety concern.

Michelin makes the truest tires, their molds and build process turns out smooth rolling and long live tires.

I used to promote Cooper CS4 a really smooth riding tire with decent all season tread.

The other issue is HOW LONG will you keep the car post tire replacement, it is sorta false economy to buy a long life tire that will last 80K for a car that has 70K on it already, if you are gonna get new paint fever in 20K miles.

I have sold a lot of tires in my time, and I have seen some good value quality, and high priced quality and pure JUNK, (Mohawk in 1987) sometimes it is a matter of getting the right tire for the model of car you own. 1997 - 2004 Park Ave & Michelin Symmetry, for a smooth ride, the chassis seemed to echo any tire road force variances (Goodyear Conquest, standard factory built OEM tire). Second example some of the smaller Chrysler front wheel drive's in the late 80's would
not allow the Goodyear Vector to wear properly even with recommended rotation intervals. This issue was compounded by tire pressure deviations.

I drove a demo for a long time so I have no bought tires in many years the last set I purchased was Michelin.

Late here that is all I will add at this time. Shop, and good luck.
Thank you

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:32 pm

You are welcome !

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm
I remember an autocross DOT race tire that had a treadwear of zero. Why? Because someone running autocross wants the stickiest, softest rubber available. I could buy a Hoosier A series, which was a much better tire with a treadwear of 40. Can't cross compare.
That depends on whether or not the class you are competing in has a TW limit.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Just checked the older, front tires on my 1998 Camry. Lots of tread left AND the tires were made in late 2013 :)

I was afraid they might be too old for safety -- but looks good for a few more years (I hope) ;)

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:56 pm
Curious

1. When do you guys change tires ? I know that tire tread depth is 8/32 mm for a brand new tire and 2/32 mm for a completely bald tire. The tire shops try to scare you into buying new tires even at 5/32 mm. I myself have been buying as soon as they dip below 3/32 mm. I bought a electronic tread depth gauge to accurately measure.

2. What brand ? I myself buy mid priced brands like Cooper / Falken. I don't buy high priced ones like bridgestone / michelin. I don't buy the entry level brands either : Sentry etc.
I drive them until I start to notice traction issues in snow conditions... I live in California so I can only test this during the winter in the mountains. Otherwise I keep running them. I do keep a spare..

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:46 pm

This is turning out to be a big thread. The one thing I do is always look on tirerack.com to see what the user reviews are for ice and snow. As I live in an area that gets some, I will only buy tires that have all green ratings on those three measures (7+ on a scale of one to ten, I believe). I would do because even some top tires such as Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. have not been the best in these conditions. Michelin is better than most on its normal tires.

The tires I have bought the most have been Generals by Continental. The Altimax is a excellent all around tire that is excellent in ice and snow as well.

One way to look at how tires perform is to watch the comparison videos on tire rack. I agree not all tires are created equal.

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 pm

I generally end up with a nail in one of the tires at some point. If the tires are near replacement depth, even if a bit premature, I go to our local goodyear dealer and get Assurance WeatherReady tires. Been buying top of the line Goodyear All weather for as long as I can recall.

Tires are critical to your safety, don’t wait too long, this is not the thing cut in order to LBYM. You need to live to enjoy retiring.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks everyone.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 pm

itsgot8 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
I remember an autocross DOT race tire that had a treadwear of zero. Why? Because someone running autocross wants the stickiest, softest rubber available. I could buy a Hoosier A series, which was a much better tire with a treadwear of 40. Can't cross compare.
I expected I'd attract autocrosser comments. :D

I was more of a track rat, so ran roadrace compound everywhere.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 am

I used to buy only BF Goodrich tires generally because of a technology they had to reduce stopping distance on wet pavement. Michelin acquired Goodrich, and now my preferred tire is the Michelin Premier A/S, which I believe also has the excellent wet stopping properties formerly only available in certain Goodrich tires. The other tire I would consider is a Goodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S, but Michelins will be quieter tires and likely last longer. For a budget tire for an older car that one may not keep for very long, I think Riken tires can be a good choice. They are inexpensive and will not last a long time, but they generally have very good performance characteristics.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

Related question/puzzle to me -

Why, even within the same brand (such as Michelin) are there so many models and names for tires? Is it to confuse the customers?

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Different tires are designed to optimize different things: smooth, quiet ride, longevity, aggressive braking capability, traction on snow, tight handling on curves/turns as major examples. You can get tires that make a reasonable compromise across all of those, which are the most common tires sold, or choose ones that are more focused on some properties at the expense of others.

More expensive tires may achieve more of these design goals than cheaper tires. The latter may sacrifice longevity and a smooth, quiet ride and still be a safe tire to use. Because the installation cost is a fixed cost, using cheaper tires that are replaced more often may cost more per mile over the life of the tire.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is an organization funded by the auto insurance industry to do independent testing of car safety. I generally found their testing to be more reliable than that of tirerack or consumer reports. For years I just bought the tire they rated as having the shortest stopping distance on wet pavement whenever needing tires. That data was no longer publicly available the last time I purchased tires.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:42 pm

I had Michelin tires on my 99 Honda Accord. They wore out at 35k miles in 2 years. Been using Yokahama's ever since.

They last longer and have much lower road noise.

Chip

Post by Chip » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:24 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:42 pm
I had Michelin tires on my 99 Honda Accord. They wore out at 35k miles in 2 years. Been using Yokahama's ever since.

They last longer and have much lower road noise.
I have Michelin tires on my 2013 Accord. They have 30k miles on them after two years and still have 6/32" to 7/32" of tread left (out of an original 8/32").

It's pretty difficult to accurately generalize about an entire brand from the experience of one set of tires on one particular vehicle.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:49 am

indexfundfan wrote:

Michelin fan here too. I want the best quality high performance tire on my car because the life I save could be my own, and my wife's. Wet braking and cornering are very important.... I'm not worried about me but the other guy driving kinda crazy on bald tires scares me to death.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 am

Not all tire brands or types are the same for each car.

tirerack.com has reviews and recommendations based on actual miles of use. I have selected tires based on these recommendation the past several times and have been very pleased.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 am

dachshunddad wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 pm
I trade them out probably close to 5/32.
I was thinking about this. If a new tire has a tread depth of 8/32, and you "trade them out" at 5/32, you have consumed 3/32 of tread.

If you would continue using the tires until the legal limit of 2/32, you would consume another 3/32 of tread.

So by changing the tires out at 5/32, you have left half of the tread life on the tires. That means you are paying twice as much for tires as the guy who changes his at 2/32.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 am

Toons wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 pm
4/32
Michelin

:happy
+1. Check the reviews on TireRack and order from their or Costco.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 pm
itsgot8 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
I expected I'd attract autocrosser comments. :D

I was more of a track rat, so ran roadrace compound everywhere.
Pirelli scrubs?

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am

indexfundfan wrote:

We have Continental Control Contact Sport A/S tires on our Mazda 3, and we are pleased with them.

I'm getting ready to replace the tires on our Lexus RX 350. Initially, I wanted to get the Michelin Premier A/S tires at Costco. However, thanks to the Consumer Reports Tire Ratings, I'm leaning towards the Continental PureContact LS tires.

On some level comparing Michelin and Continental is splitting hairs because they both make great tires. I think there are more Michelin mentions because it's a bigger brand, and you can get it at Costco.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:46 am

Chip wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:24 am

It's pretty difficult to accurately generalize about an entire brand from the experience of one set of tires on one particular vehicle.
100% this. I suppose there was a time when tires were pretty much tires when it came to street applications, but the market today has splintered into quite a few segments. You have everything from a DOT legal track tire like the Michelin Sport Cup 2, to all terrain tires, to low rolling resistance tires, to snow tires. Each has a specific application and purpose. The difference between tire segments is quite a bit larger than the difference between brands.

Also, tire wear can be greatly influenced by the vehicle weight, alignment, suspension design, driving style, and roads driven on. Usually, the goal of a tire being long-lasting is at odds with other goals, like dry grip.

That being said, I do avoid the seriously bargain-basement brands. There have been examples out there of seriously unsafe tires at the very low price points. I also find that on the raw performance side, there tends to be a certain tire that is usually best. For example, autocrossers in street classes tend to have a strong preference for the Bridgestone RE-71R. However, I wouldn't recommend that tire to anybody who has something other than ultimate performance in mind or drives much in the rain.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm

I look up reviews on tirerack. I went with Michelins because those were rated the best and tires aren't something I want to skimp on especially when it comes to driving in rain, ice and snow. I also bought them from my local tire shop because the price was just as good and they offer free tire rotations.

I even "splurged" on a tire gauge instead of doing the penny test. It was something like $3 on Amazon :wink:

MnD

Post by MnD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 pm

novemberrain wrote:
1. When do you guys change tires ? I know that tire tread depth is 8/32 mm for a brand new tire and 2/32 mm for a completely bald tire.
10 or even 11/32nd's of an inch is decent brand new tire tread depth if you shop around. For example Michelin X-tour is 10/32.
A completely bald tire is 0/32nd tread. 2/32nd's is considered the worn out tread depth and most places will not service a tire other than to replace at 2/32. Assuming wear isn't ever quite perfect I usually replace tires at 4/32nd on the front, 3/32nd on the back. If it's going into or in summer I'll go 3/32nd on front 2/32nd on back.

Buying 8/32 and replacing at 5/32 is a tire salesman's dream.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm

MnD wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 pm
novemberrain wrote:
1. When do you guys change tires ? I know that tire tread depth is 8/32 mm for a brand new tire and 2/32 mm for a completely bald tire.
10 or even 11/32nd's of an inch is decent brand new tire tread depth if you shop around. For example Michelin X-tour is 10/32.
A completely bald tire is 0/32nd tread. 2/32nd's is considered the worn out tread depth and most places will not service a tire other than to replace at 2/32. Assuming wear isn't ever quite perfect I usually replace tires at 4/32nd on the front, 3/32nd on the back. If it's going into or in summer I'll go 3/32nd on front 2/32nd on back.

That is a very good point. I hadn't thought about that.
So I went back and checked out the available tires for 2 of my vehicles. One is an SUV and the other is a sports sedan. I noticed that for the SUV, there are lots of tires for 12 or even 13/32. But for the sports sedan, it ranges from 9/32 to 11/32 mostly.

So is it a fair conclusion that brand new tire tread depth depends on type of vehicle ?

MnD

Post by MnD » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am

novemberrain wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm
MnD wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 pm
novemberrain wrote:

That is a very good point. I hadn't thought about that.
So I went back and checked out the available tires for 2 of my vehicles. One is an SUV and the other is a sports sedan. I noticed that for the SUV, there are lots of tires for 12 or even 13/32. But for the sports sedan, it ranges from 9/32 to 11/32 mostly.

So is it a fair conclusion that brand new tire tread depth depends on type of vehicle ?
Yes but within a tire class suitable for a particular vehicle new tread depth can vary a lot as you point out.
There are even "special" same-model name of some tires that have a reduced tread depth to hit a lower price point for a retailer - yuck!

dachshunddad

Post by dachshunddad » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:23 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 am
dachshunddad wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 pm
I trade them out probably close to 5/32.
I was thinking about this. If a new tire has a tread depth of 8/32, and you "trade them out" at 5/32, you have consumed 3/32 of tread.

If you would continue using the tires until the legal limit of 2/32, you would consume another 3/32 of tread.

So by changing the tires out at 5/32, you have left half of the tread life on the tires. That means you are paying twice as much for tires as the guy who changes his at 2/32.
Correct but the traction below that decreases in rain and light snow. Tires that don't technically need replaced handle sub optimally. But you are correct that it costs more but for me I believe it is worth the extra money for safety.

mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 am

2001 Subaru 3.0 flat 6 LL Bean Outback Wagon - 120,000 miles (bought used in 2006 with 50,000 miles)
2009 Subaru Forester XT (turbo 2.5)- 90,000 miles (bought used in 2012 with 50,000 miles)

I use Michelin all seasons for the summer (Premier A/S Grand Touring All-Season most recently in May 2017), and Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter. I keep the summer tires on the original wheels, and buy steel wheels with plastic hubcaps for the winter Blizzaks. When I first order the winter Blizzaks for a new to me car, I buy the tires and wheels, mounted, balanced and shipped to my home address from tirerack.com. They tell me the proper size. When it is time to replace either the summer or winter tires on existing wheels, I order the tires from tirerack.com and have them shipped to my local, non-dealer car maintenance shop, and pay them to mount & balance. Seems to be the best cost/result for me. My local shops cannot order the tires for the price I get from tirerack.com, but my local shop gets the labor for mounting and balancing, so we all "win"; I save a small amount of cash, and keep good will with my local maintenance shop. At the change of seasons, I just take off the exit season tire/wheels, and install the coming season tire/wheels. Twice a year, two subaru's, eight tire/wheels. We live at 7,000 feet in the Colorado mountains. Works good for me. If you are going to change the wheels/tires twice a year yourself, get a good 3 ton garage jack, a jack stand for safety while the car is jacked up and you are working close, and a battery powered, 1/2 inch impact wrench and IMPACT sockets. And a torque wrench to check the final tightness of each nut. I used to use the car jack and lug wrench that came with the car when I was younger and much dumber. Now that I am in my 60's, I am way smarter, it is easier, faster and hurts less. Have not gotten "lazy" enough to pay the shop to switch out the 8 tire/wheels yet. I have the funds, but it is a good workout if I take it easy and enjoy the effort. Nice to do it in a heated garage if you wait too long and it gets cold and snowy early, like this year. I keep an eye on the wear bars when I switch twice a year. I order replacement summer tires after I mount the winter tires (usually good sales then) and order the winter tires in the spring after I mount the summer all-seasons (again, good sales then on the winter tires). Can just drop off the worn tires/wheels when the replacement tires have arrived, and pick them up the next day. Pay the old tire disposal fee. Simple and Easy. And works really, really well. Nothing like an all wheel drive Subaru with Blizzaks in the winter. Put, put along and you'll get where you are going every time. The Michelin All Seasons are really good in the rain, which is what I want for the summer.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 am

Michelins from Costco. Premier A/S which I ran on my Acura for the last 2 years year-round after my last set of snows got down to 4/32. Thought I would replace these with the Cross Climate+ when the time came. We don't get a much snow here and I don't have to drive the car anywhere that I will see alot and now that I am retired can chose not to drive if real winter weather hits. Van has Michelin snows for winter. Other family car has Premier A/S for summer and X-Ice for winter. Have always been happy with Michelins and get them when there is a rebate on at Costco.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain