Best way to complain about Hertz bait-and-switch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
prairieman

Re: Best way to complain about Hertz bait-and-switch?

Post by prairieman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:13 am

I recommend renting through Priceline.

Recently we rented a van at Ace through Priceline and when we arrived at the reservation counter Ace had nothing to fit our party of 6. It was a holiday weekend in Las Vegas so we were not sure we could get anything anywhere, certainly not at our quoted price. Ace was useless, so we called Priceline. They got us the van we needed from Enterprise for $320 more than our original quote at Ace. We paid the higher price at the counter and Priceline refunded us the extra $320 later. Thus, we ultimately did get the right car at the right price with minimal trouble, even on a terribly busy day at the airport!

I was highly impressed.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:37 am

Many car rental locations are not company owned, but owned by a franchisee. So, while you can complain to Hertz Headquarters, the franchisee may or may not be responsive to the complaint.

Just like with hotels. The Marriott or Hilton you stay in isn't owned by Marriott or Hilton, but by a local company.

I would complain to the General Manager of the location.

Since you already complained on Yelp, if they read that they'll be less likely to do anything for you. Of course when you posted the review, you saw they have bad reviews at that location anyway...

In SLC I've used Avis with success, great pricing sometimes.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am

I would write a letter of complaint.....

Mention that the actions of Hertz (and its affliated companies) are not the type that foster the sense of a welcoming airport that travelers find attractive.
Also state that it looks like a financial scam targeting the elderly (your dad for example) and is unethical in every form.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 am

Mingus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm
Why is everyone so ready to get outraged so easily?

Everything worked out by walking across the way to a competitor. Move on. It's not worth the energy.
if its not worth the energy why are you expending the energy to post in this thread? Heeding your own advice, you should move on and post in a different thread.

Happy Halloween. :beer

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:45 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 am
Mingus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm
Why is everyone so ready to get outraged so easily?

Everything worked out by walking across the way to a competitor. Move on. It's not worth the energy.
if its not worth the energy why are you expending the energy to post in this thread? Heeding your own advice, you should move on and post in a different thread.

Happy Halloween. :beer
It took relatively minimal energy to write three sentences. I wasn't the one crying about Hertz and having the tantrum because a vehicle was not there like a two year old. How about you chillax and you have a happy halloween.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

sperry8 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 am
whodidntante wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 am
Reservations don't mean much at rental car companies. It's more like an advance request. A complaint will get you a voucher at most.
To be fair, car companies are one of the few remaining places where you can make a non-binding reservation with zero penalty. You don't even have to cancel...just refrain from showing up and you'll never hear from them again. I'm not sure that business model is sustainable, but it's how it is today.
Bold my emphasis... it's been this way since at least 1990. 28 years. I'd call that sustainable.
Yes, and every once in a while the car reserved isn’t available. In my roughly 28 years of renting cars that happens maybe every 10 rentals. Usually a free upgrade is provided. But I have also had a case last year where no car at all was available. To expand on Leesbro63’s point, renters are also not required to return the car as scheduled. They can extend the rental or simply show up late and screw up the reservation of the next renter, especially at times of high demand or when a specialty vehicle is reserved.

Life is sometimes better when you accept that travel doesn’t always work exactly as planned. It’s generally not the case that United, Hertz or Hilton has someone assigned to screwing up your plans :)

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 pm

I was in car rental for over a decade. Raise hell with the area manager and ask for something tall (free week of rental, etc). You will get whatever you want. These places make so much money they just will want you to go away paid off.

jucor

Post by jucor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 am

As many have said, that's the nature of car rentals. Two years ago we had a one-way reservation with Enterprise for a compact car -- arrived and were told the only thing available was a 4-door 4-wheel drive Ford F250 pickup truck! We spent 20 minutes palavering to no avail, and ended up driving the behemoth. We did get comped gas and the rental upon complaining to Enterprise corporate. In your case, a letter "might" get you a coupon for a future rental, but as you did not actually rent from them I'd not expect more.

Trism

Post by Trism » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:18 pm

What would you have done if something had actually gone wrong?