Maserati Experiences

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Maserati Experiences

Post by watchnerd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 pm

I'm curious about people's experiences with Maserati.

My local dealer is having an incentive sale and I've always liked the looks.

What are Bogleheads collective experiences with Maserati cars?
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

henry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by henry » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Which model are you looking at?

I don't own a Maserati and have never known anyone who has one, but whenever i hear about Maserati, I think of these Doug DeMuro videos.

Here's Why the Maserati Ghibli Is a Terrible Way to Spend $85,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZnqnB6xDo

Here's Why the Maserati Levante Just Isn't Worth $80,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdunXzNNfqk

He felt the Ghibli sounds good and looks good but otherwise isn't competitive with other cars in its class. He actually liked the way the Levante drove, but felt the car lacked modern safety features and was overpriced. At the end of both videos, he also talks about how Maserati apparently has been having huge incentives for a while to improve their sales volume and become more mainstream.

DJN
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by DJN » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am

dearie me,
the Granturismo is just lovely and old style. Sounds wonderful and if you have the money buy one. Who needs an iPad when you are driving a great car. Who needs German mechanical complications.................and maintenance costs.
DJN

ladycat
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by ladycat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:53 am

I liked the looks of the Ghibli, but we passed. Test drive one. When you touch the brakes, make sure your passenger is prepared to feel like they're going to be put through the windshield. That was our experience.

TropikThunder
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 am

DJN wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am
Who needs German mechanical complications.................and maintenance costs.
Italian cars haven’t historically survived long enough to need maintenance, so there’s that.

Nissanzx1
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 am

Ferrari repair prices with the added bonus of double digit depreciation every year. No way sorry. Buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini instead.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by watchnerd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 am
Ferrari repair prices with the added bonus of double digit depreciation every year. No way sorry. Buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini instead.
I'm more in the market for a sport coupe / GT than a supercar.

An Aston Martin would probably be the next alternative. But I've heard they have crappy reliability.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

DJN
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by DJN » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:13 am

The interesting thing about the Maserati Granturismo is that it is a solid car with a lovely interior and old style mechanics and a pretty basic electronic set up, in other words it's a car rather than a IT startup. If you want a proper GT its the best and if you buy secondhand, it will cost a lot less than a similar 911 and will generally drive along without breaking down or have its electronics fail Aston Martin style. And I am guessing you want a proper four seater, you can forget that with the 911 and the Astons as they have silly rear seats. BTW the petrol engine is a Ferrari engine. Nothing sounds better..........

wrongfunds
Posts: 1885
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 am

Completely wrong forum to ask advice on purchasing Maserati! On the other hand, if you are asking about buying a $100K watch, feel free!

lazydavid
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 am

watchnerd wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am
Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 am
Ferrari repair prices with the added bonus of double digit depreciation every year. No way sorry. Buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini instead.
I'm more in the market for a sport coupe / GT than a supercar.

An Aston Martin would probably be the next alternative. But I've heard they have crappy reliability.
If you're looking for a reliable Grand Tourer, them's slim pickings. Might want to wait and get a look at the new Supra next year, though that might turn out to be too small. Lexus LC500 would probably be my first choice among current offerings, even if it's (surprisingly) a little hard-edged for the class. After that I'd be looking at the AMG S-Class coupe or AMG GT C.

If you take reliability out of the picture, Vanquish or DB11 all the way. Continental GT would also be a contender.

Valuethinker
Posts: 36371
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 am
Completely wrong forum to ask advice on purchasing Maserati! On the other hand, if you are asking about buying a $100K watch, feel free!
;-).

That is only because Toyota and Honda are not in the watch business? ;-)

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7982
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 am

I have never owned a Maserati but have watched prices since the 2005 introduction of the Quattroporte. What I've seen is that these cars do tend to hang around the dealerships for a while. By 2008, I could still see brand new 2005 $129k cars in dealer inventory at listed price of $89k. Because these cars are judged to be overpriced, their value drops like a rock. Search for 2005 Quattroportes for under $25k and you'll find them everywhere. As mentioned, it uses a Ferrari engine. The transmission is a dual clutch unit. Clutch replacements can ONLY be done at the dealer because a dealer machine adjusts tolerences. This costs about $3500. Parts can be had for around $1000 and I followed one DIY guy who did it himself. Because he didn't have the dealer machine and could not precisely adjust the tolerances, the car went a couple hundred miles before eating the new clutches.

I'd say that if you must buy one of these cars, try to buy certified pre-owned with a very good warranty. Or lease....also under warranty. I will tell you that I've been in a few of these cars and the interiors make any Lexus, Mercedes or BMW feel like a Yugo.

I have thought for years about buying one of these cars with engine issues and dropping in a Corvette LSx engine along with the rear mounted manual transmission. Since the Maserati also uses a rear mounted transmission (like a Nissan GT-R), I'd think it could be engineered relatively painlessly.

Maserati will give you semi-exclusivity. Not quite Aston Martin Vitesse, but more so than an S class or Panamera. Don't buy it as your first car. Also, leases tend to be advertised very low miles (like 5k a year) but Maserati will build a lease however you want for miles or years or both.

As mentioned, if you're considering the Levante, expect to feel like you're in a Dodge Caravan with a Maserati trident on the front for your hundred grand buy in. I expect these to also drop like a rock, so look for a year old Levante in the $50k area and 2 years in the $30k area.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by munemaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am

watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 pm

What are Bogleheads collective experiences with Maserati cars?
Bogleheads would buy a Toyota Camry and invest the rest.

rebellovw
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by rebellovw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am

This should help: (it’s a great read)

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/e ... g=en&cc=us

Though it does eventually get a happy ending.
Last edited by rebellovw on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigred77
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by bigred77 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am

My next door neighbor drives a Ghibli S.

Awesome car. The engine is very distinctive to my unsophisticated ear. I can tell my neighbors home from my living room once he turns onto our street.

It's in the shop from time to time for various reasons (maybe 2X a year) which I'm sure is (or would be out of warranty) quite expensive.

I personally would want the Quattroporte or I'd pass on the Maserati brand all together. Those kind of brands I feel like you need to get one of the flagship products for the full experience or it's not worth the money.

lazydavid
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 am

bigred77 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
I personally would want the Quattroporte or I'd pass on the Maserati brand all together. Those kind of brands I feel like you need to get one of the flagship products for the full experience or it's not worth the money.
I would argue that the Gran Turismo is even more of a flagship product with regards to the Maserati brand.

Valuethinker
Posts: 36371
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am
watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 pm

What are Bogleheads collective experiences with Maserati cars?
Bogleheads would buy a Toyota Camry and invest the rest.
And buy a $100k watch with the proceeds ;-).

DJN
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by DJN » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

I have a solution to those of you who are a bit reticent about Italian cars but seem to like watches and you know what, these are a lot cheaper and might suit you better:
https://www.maseratistore.com/dk_en/watches.html

wrongfunds
Posts: 1885
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am

In case somebody missed it, OP's handle is "Watch Nerd" and I suspect lot of his assets are in watches but I could be wrong.

User avatar
tyrion
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by tyrion » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am

rebellovw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
This should help: (it’s a great read)

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/e ... g=en&cc=us

Though it does eventually get a happy ending.
This was a great read, thanks!

My experience with Maseratis is limited to an occasional spotting in the wild. They seem more prevalent in Carmel than anywhere else I've been, which kind of makes sense.

Nova1967
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Nova1967 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am

Maserati is a poor mans Exotic Luxury car, Way behind Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Rolls Royce,
I believe the best bang for a buck is a Porsche 911, if taken care of maintenance problems are minimal, they have low depreciation and can blend into the landscape.

hicabob
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by hicabob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 am

My neighbor leases a GranTurismo. An absolutely beautiful looking and sounding car. He recommends a lease and not a purchase for those so inclined.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by munemaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am

Nova1967 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am
Maserati is a poor mans Exotic Luxury car, Way behind Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Rolls Royce,
I believe the best bang for a buck is a Porsche 911, if taken care of maintenance problems are minimal, they have low depreciation and can blend into the landscape.
Nova1967 --> It is a long way from a 1967 Nova to a 2018 Ferrari or Lamborghini. Have you actually owned an exotic car, or did you just read about them in Motor Trend?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by munemaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:09 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
This should help: (it’s a great read)

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/e ... g=en&cc=us

Though it does eventually get a happy ending.
Doesn't seem likely to sell with that ad.

I think of Joe Walsh's song LIFE'S BEEN GOOD:
My Maserati does 185
I lost my license now I don't drive

rebellovw
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by rebellovw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Here is the happy ending to the craigslist story - Italian tune-up.

https://jalopnik.com/someone-fixed-that ... 1819186921

User avatar
Igglesman
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Igglesman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:46 pm


cantos
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by cantos » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Funny story. Got a Maserati Biturbo 1985 in 2008. Reviews say it's a terrible car. I loved it. A beautiful rumble everywhere I went. Highway at night with a girl at high speed, great memories. Back seat a make out couch. Suede roof for heaven's sake. Broke down in a big city, overheated, lifted up the hood, in rush hour traffic, nobody honked, all good vibes. Doors didnt auto lock or unlock so gfs had to unlock for me after I unlocked their door. Good test of empathy up front. Sold it for what I bought it.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm

cantos wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 pm
Funny story. Got a Maserati Biturbo 1985 in 2008. Reviews say it's a terrible car. I loved it. A beautiful rumble everywhere I went. Highway at night with a girl at high speed, great memories. Back seat a make out couch. Suede roof for heaven's sake. Broke down in a big city, overheated, lifted up the hood, in rush hour traffic, nobody honked, all good vibes. Doors didnt auto lock or unlock so gfs had to unlock for me after I unlocked their door. Good test of empathy up front. Sold it for what I bought it.
Great story, and I love the "door lock test". The "door lock test" can be replicated on modern cars with failed lock actuators, a common problem. :-)

WildcatTofu
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by WildcatTofu » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:11 pm

watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wDpAqCTjrU, then buy a used one, and sell it when you feel bored of it.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14397
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:48 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 pm
What are Bogleheads collective experiences with Maserati cars?
I was once next to one for about 15 minutes Atlanta stop and go traffic when I was driving my old Honda Fit. Every minute or so we would go forward a few car lengths.

I revved my engine like I wanted to race him. He very purposely ignored me but I don't think he was amused.

I would suspect that a car like that would not be a good choice as a commuter car so consider how often you will actually get to drive it in an enjoyable situation.

sasquatch12
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by sasquatch12 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Another good choice although not as sporty looking I’d a Mercedes e63s with 603hp. My friend has one and it is very nice inside with the latest tech and safety features. Otherwise maybe a 911 or Panamera would be better and more reliable than Maserati.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by watchnerd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 am

Maserati will give you semi-exclusivity. Not quite Aston Martin Vitesse, but more so than an S class or Panamera. Don't buy it as your first car. Also, leases tend to be advertised very low miles (like 5k a year) but Maserati will build a lease however you want for miles or years or both.
Not sure what you mean "don't buy it as your first car"...I've owned cars since I was 21....

Do you mean don't buy it as your primary daily driver?
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by watchnerd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 pm

DJN wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am
I have a solution to those of you who are a bit reticent about Italian cars but seem to like watches and you know what, these are a lot cheaper and might suit you better:
https://www.maseratistore.com/dk_en/watches.html
No.

No no no no no.

Never ever never never buy a watch from a fashion brand.

Gucci, Armani, Masserati, Ferrari, Chanel, Dolce-Gabana, etc, etc, etc, no no no no no.

And if you own one, sell it right now, preferably someplace anonymous to hide the shame you should feel.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by watchnerd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:48 pm
watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 pm
What are Bogleheads collective experiences with Maserati cars?
I was once next to one for about 15 minutes Atlanta stop and go traffic when I was driving my old Honda Fit. Every minute or so we would go forward a few car lengths.

I revved my engine like I wanted to race him. He very purposely ignored me but I don't think he was amused.

I would suspect that a car like that would not be a good choice as a commuter car so consider how often you will actually get to drive it in an enjoyable situation.
That's true of pretty much everything with more drivability than the Honda Fit.

I could say the same thing about a Mazda Miata.

If your whole car buying criteria is to maximize for stop-n-go traffic, you might as well shop for a used Geo Metro and save thousands over that wasteful Honda Fit.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

DJN
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by DJN » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 am

watchnerd wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 pm
DJN wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am
I have a solution to those of you who are a bit reticent about Italian cars but seem to like watches and you know what, these are a lot cheaper and might suit you better:
https://www.maseratistore.com/dk_en/watches.html
No.

No no no no no.

Never ever never never buy a watch from a fashion brand.

Gucci, Armani, Masserati, Ferrari, Chanel, Dolce-Gabana, etc, etc, etc, no no no no no.

And if you own one, sell it right now, preferably someplace anonymous to hide the shame you should feel.
Well that's that then, people on here sure have some pretty strong views. But I appreciate the humour!
You want some guidance, go buy a secondhand Maserati Granturismo and enjoy the experience and stop asking for advice. Don't buy an Aston and seeing as you are on here, you certainly will not buy a Ferrari.

DJN
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by DJN » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:41 am

Just to show that I am not biased to Maserati (ha, ha) have a look at this one, its an Aston Martin but on a different level and has 4 real touring seats. Mind you I wouldn't bother checking the price. I have sat inside one recently and it is superb! Lagonda.
https://www.astonmartin.com/en/cars/taraf

NextMil
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by NextMil » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 am

rebellovw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
This should help: (it’s a great read)

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/e ... g=en&cc=us

Though it does eventually get a happy ending.
This is fantastic. I couldn’t stop laughing.

I think this was my favorite line.
I'm tired of sitting in it at night drinking and making engine noises with my mouth while I pretend it is not a huge pile of disappointment and debt.

Nova1967
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Nova1967 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:35 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am
Nova1967 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am
Maserati is a poor mans Exotic Luxury car, Way behind Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Rolls Royce,
I believe the best bang for a buck is a Porsche 911, if taken care of maintenance problems are minimal, they have low depreciation and can blend into the landscape.
Nova1967 --> It is a long way from a 1967 Nova to a 2018 Ferrari or Lamborghini. Have you actually owned an exotic car, or did you just read about them in Motor Trend?
I drive a Porsche 911 , Ferarri and Lamborghini cost 2 to 3 times as much which is beyond my budget. I've done my market research and in my opinion concluded Maserati is not worth the money. The name sounds exotic but it's way overrated.
Nova1967 is the car I drove in HS 40 years ago, if I wish I had held onto it.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by watchnerd » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:57 pm

NextMil wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 am
rebellovw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
This should help: (it’s a great read)

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/e ... g=en&cc=us

Though it does eventually get a happy ending.
This is fantastic. I couldn’t stop laughing.

I think this was my favorite line.
I'm tired of sitting in it at night drinking and making engine noises with my mouth while I pretend it is not a huge pile of disappointment and debt.
Hmm, maybe I should reconsider.

I don't mind pricey things, but I expect to get quality in return.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

ssquared87
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 am

watchnerd wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am
Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 am
Ferrari repair prices with the added bonus of double digit depreciation every year. No way sorry. Buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini instead.
I'm more in the market for a sport coupe / GT than a supercar.

An Aston Martin would probably be the next alternative. But I've heard they have crappy reliability.
The Aston is better looking, more advanced, better to drive, and I'd trust the AMG engine in the Vantage over the Maserati's engine which is derived from the Ferrari 360 engine.

DJN
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by DJN » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 am

I wouldn't have more trust in an Aston Martin engine over a Ferrari. Best Aston Martin is the Lagonda: https://www.astonmartin.com/en/cars/taraf
I have no idea of the price....but you get room for your elbows that isn't available in the Vanquish etc.

lazydavid
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by lazydavid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 am

DJN wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 am
I wouldn't have more trust in an Aston Martin engine over a Ferrari. Best Aston Martin is the Lagonda: https://www.astonmartin.com/en/cars/taraf
I have no idea of the price....but you get room for your elbows that isn't available in the Vanquish etc.
From their site, it sounds like it won't even be sold here, so that's kind of pointless. They describe it as a "strictly limited numbers series" that will be "offered predominantly in the Middle East, UK and Europe markets."

Jags4186
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:50 am

Why not an F-Type? Those are pretty much the best looking cars on the road that people actually have. I always stop and check it outnwhen it drives by.

ssquared87
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 am

DJN wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 am
I wouldn't have more trust in an Aston Martin engine over a Ferrari. Best Aston Martin is the Lagonda: https://www.astonmartin.com/en/cars/taraf
I have no idea of the price....but you get room for your elbows that isn't available in the Vanquish etc.
Aston doesn’t make the engines in the new vantage or the DB11, it’s the same Engine from the Mercedes AMG GT, C63 AMG, and E63 AMG and has has spectacular reviews. It came out about 3 years ago so reliability isn’t proven, but I’m willing to bet it will be pretty solid and cheaper to maintain than an the Maserati’s 20 year old engine Italian engine design.

The Aston also uses a typical ZF 8 speed automatic transmission which has been a solid performer and can be found in any BMW. The Maserati is known for having issues with its DCT transmission.

Another car certainly worth considering is the Mercedes AMG GT. It’s certainly a looker

NextMil
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by NextMil » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:33 am

watchnerd wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:57 pm
NextMil wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 am
rebellovw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
This should help: (it’s a great read)

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/e ... g=en&cc=us

Though it does eventually get a happy ending.
This is fantastic. I couldn’t stop laughing.

I think this was my favorite line.
I'm tired of sitting in it at night drinking and making engine noises with my mouth while I pretend it is not a huge pile of disappointment and debt.
Hmm, maybe I should reconsider.

I don't mind pricey things, but I expect to get quality in return.
Agreed on buying pricey things if the quality is there. Maserati's are a slick vehicle, but if I was plopping down that type of cash I would expect quality as well. This is one guy's experience, it might still be worth investigating though. I just commented because I thought it was comical.

User avatar
Flymore
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by Flymore » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 am

"My Maserati does 185, I lost my license now I don't drive. I have a limo ride in the back, I lock the doors in case I'm attacked" Joe Walsh :D

JackoC
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by JackoC » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Nova1967 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am
Maserati is a poor mans Exotic Luxury car, Way behind Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Rolls Royce,
I believe the best bang for a buck is a Porsche 911, if taken care of maintenance problems are minimal, they have low depreciation and can blend into the landscape.
The 'cheap' Maserati's like Ghibli are now common here (north NJ right near NY). But on a 6,500 mile road trip earlier this year in our BMW 3 (a *totally* pedestrian car around our house) we could count on one hand how many BMW's we saw in a number of states and mostly much older ones. I recall seeing one 911 (in Duluth MN) anywhere off the beaten path. But I don't deny your point entirely on blending in better with a 911 some places, though it's not really the same price as a Ghibli (with the huge options escalation on Porsche's), but I also agree the 911 is a much superior car by most assessments.

I recently considered a 911 in 4S form, but optioned up as I'd like it was fully twice as much as a BMW M2 which I ended up getting. I'm not saying I got the same thing for half, the kind of ridiculous statement people might make about $30k cars relative to an M2. Of course you don't. However as you and/or others said, there's a particular cloud of 'overpriced' hanging over the 'quasi-mass market' Maserati models of recent years, even among people who like cars and don't say 'get a used Honda' to every car inquiry :happy

typical.investor
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 am

Re: Maserati Experiences

Post by typical.investor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:50 am

New Tesla roadster when it’s out? Can’t wait that long?

Post Reply