Sneakers with good arch support

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
clemrick

Sneakers with good arch support

Post by clemrick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 pm

It is time to put away my Birkenstocks for the winter. I gave up on sneakers several years ago and have been wearing Birkenstocks and Keens. However, I now I need sneakers because I go to a gym.

Can anyone recommend a sneaker with good arch support. If my feet don't like them, I have horrible back aches.

Thanks.

ArcticMike

Re: Sneakers with good arch support

Post by ArcticMike » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Fila shoes at Costco.

I recently bought Salomon trail walking shoes, Asics Gel Kayana (trail) but the cheap Filas are actually the most comfortable for me. Their looks are basic but they seem well made and are very comfortable for long walks.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Do you have a running store by you? If so, they'll likely measure and assess your feet and stride and let you try on many shoes. I would recommend going that route over buying online and getting something that doesn't fit or worth injures your foot.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm a big fan of Saloman trail hiking shoes for everyday use. I carry some extra body weight and no other brand that I have tried seems to offer the support that Saloman shoes do.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:40 pm

I second the recommendation to visit a running store to be fitted. Not an all-purpose sporting goods store such as Dick's. Not a general shoe warehouse such as DSW. A real running store. Such stores typically have great return policies and carry higher-end shoes. They can also recommend good orthotic insoles if the insoles that come in the shoes don't work well enough for you.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Rupert wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:40 pm
I second the recommendation to visit a running store to be fitted. Not an all-purpose sporting goods store such as Dick's. Not a general shoe warehouse such as DSW. A real running store. Such stores typically have great return policies and carry higher-end shoes. They can also recommend good orthotic insoles if the insoles that come in the shoes don't work well enough for you.
+1, especially if you have any injury issues.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

I have found that by putting the green Superfeet insert into any shoe gives great support, comfort and prevents injury.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

jezo

Post by jezo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:23 pm

I needed the same thing and even had gotten prescribed orthotics.

I saw a new podiatrist and she recommended the Asics Kayano. I love them. I no longer have shin splints or heel pain.

Brewman

Post by Brewman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Youngblood wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm
I have found that by putting the green Superfeet insert into any shoe gives great support, comfort and prevents injury.
+1 to this. I have been using these for about 18 months now and wish I would have found them years ago! They have made a tremendous improvement.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 pm

ASICS Kayano's are great; shoes that are marked for Motion Control or at least Stability will have a more arch support and will minimize pronation (roll-in of the foot while it flattens out).

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 pm

One of the most useful doctor’s appointments I ever had was with a podiatrist who showed me how to fit over the counter arch supports. It turned out that I didn’t need custom orthotic. The superfeet I was wearing were the wrong size, and I just needed the next size down.

So anyway, find a pair of orthotics that fit (either custom or superfeet). Take them to the store with you when you buy shoes.

deikel

Post by deikel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Not a sneaker at all, but I love the Nike Air Torch 3 - amazing foot support, super light and very good grip sole - I got rid of my back pain entirely since I wear them (not doing any sports, just normal use)
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Youngblood wrote:
+1000.
Several years ago I had stopped wearing a shoe orthotic, and my feet stayed pretty happy.
Then I started increasing the amount that I walked in prep for a trip, and my left arch started to whine. I managed to do the walking on the trip that I wanted, but it was with the benefit of "Vitamin I" and with a fair amount of "discomfort".
On my return, someone mentioned using an orthotic for bone spurs, sparking me to insert green superfeet into my shoe. Good relief in 24 hours, almost without symptoms in 72. Wow, what a relief.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:14 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:04 pm
Youngblood wrote:
+1000.
Several years ago I had stopped wearing a shoe orthotic, and my feet stayed pretty happy.
Then I started increasing the amount that I walked in prep for a trip, and my left arch started to whine. I managed to do the walking on the trip that I wanted, but it was with the benefit of "Vitamin I" and with a fair amount of "discomfort".
On my return, someone mentioned using an orthotic for bone spurs, sparking me to insert green superfeet into my shoe. Good relief in 24 hours, almost without symptoms in 72. Wow, what a relief.
+1 (up to 1004 on the superfeet!). For me it makes a much bigger difference than the shoe. I've also tried the SOLE softecs, and quite liked them too. Tough to explain the difference from the superfeet (they sell this whole "heat moldable") thing, but I don't know that it matters too much. Just a different cut with a little more padding. For me, I settled on superfeet as best. YMMV.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I pound the heck out of my New Balance playing tennis, would never buy anything else.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Superfeet carbon

GT99

Post by GT99 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:14 pm

I've had much more success with inserts than specific shoes. I haven't tried the superfeet (probably will after this thread). My favorites are Protalus, but Orthaheel also works well and is much less expensive.

Not something you can go cheap on. The $15 Dr. Scholl's and equivalents I tried are worthless.

NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Brooks...Ghost whatever....

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm going to buck the trend and say to retrain your body to get used to a natural footstrike. I was a candidate for a knee reconstruction after playing football for 20 years. I started doing my own research when the barefoot movement was new (some 12 years ago) and have been running/powerlifting/mountain climbing injury free for 11 years. About 2 years ago all pain even went away and I'm averaging about 20 miles/week running on the road (I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs - so no lightweight).

Something worth considering if you want to put the work in, reading this is an OK start: http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:26 pm

carguyny wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:12 pm
I'm going to buck the trend and say to retrain your body to get used to a natural footstrike. I was a candidate for a knee reconstruction after playing football for 20 years. I started doing my own research when the barefoot movement was new (some 12 years ago) and have been running/powerlifting/mountain climbing injury free for 11 years. About 2 years ago all pain even went away and I'm averaging about 20 miles/week running on the road (I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs - so no lightweight).

Something worth considering if you want to put the work in, reading this is an OK start: http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/
i like wearing Vivo Barefoot casual shoes at work, remove the soles. for running and the gym i just wear some super thin cheap bare-trek shoes, which are like $20 from amazon. some people swear by luna sandals.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Sauconys are good for support and are overall very well crafted with great workmanship.

Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 pm

I started getting shin splints when I was 25-years-old playing softball. I'm not just talking run-of-the-mill shin splints - I'm talking awful pain and barely able to walk type of shin splints. As a remedy, I started wearing Powerstep inserts in every pair of sneakers and dress shoes that I wear, including my softball cleats. My shin splints are now a thing of the past.

My wife is a teacher and is on her feet all day, and she started having issues with stress fractures. Now she uses Powerstep inserts and the stress fractures stopped.

They run about $25 for the standard shoe insert and can be found on Amazon. I usually buy a new pair for every new pair of shoes I buy. Worth every penny.

novillero

Post by novillero » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Friend of the family is a podiatrist. He recommends New Balance or Nike.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Reaffirm the suggestions to visit a quality running store. I tell you this so you can filter my advice… We are a family of runners… All Big 12 runner, multiple Boston marathons, etc.… we all get fitted by our local running company, even those of us who now only only walk. It’s not rocket science, but we get the right fit and that’s important especially those of us on the older end of the scale (59). All the major shoes are reasonably priced.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm

I use New Balance tennis sneakers because they are available in widths and I use Aetrex L 420 inserts with them. I used to use Superfeet inserts but found Aetrex to be superior.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 pm

First, buy good quality sneakers that fit your feet and usual locomotion. In general, running shoes aren't well suited to walkers. The stride and foot strike are quite different.

Second, get a pair of good insoles. Have your shoe person work with you. Note that Greenfeet has several styles: don't just buy a pair on Amazon... However, once you've found the insoles of your (feet's) dreams, buy a few pairs at the best price.

To get an idea of the range of insoles, you might look at https://www.verywellfit.com/best-insoles-4158640

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am

Another vote for Superfeet. I automatically remove the insole from any casual, walking or running shoe and replace them with Superfeet.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm

clemrick wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 pm
It is time to put away my Birkenstocks for the winter. I gave up on sneakers several years ago and have been wearing Birkenstocks and Keens. However, I now I need sneakers because I go to a gym.

Can anyone recommend a sneaker with good arch support. If my feet don't like them, I have horrible back aches.

Thanks.
You can buy any sneaker you like then add support via an insole. I like Spenco Total but many enjoy Superfeet insoles as well. Each of our feet are different so you need to try a bunch to see which works for you and your back. Once you find one, it's gold because it frees up your sneaker options.
BH contest results: 2018: #150 of 493 | 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:13 pm

I had lots of feet issues starting in my 40s from walking constantly on hard cement floors at work. I changed to New Balance walking shoes with a "Roll Bar" and special arch support. My feet loved them. I buy a pair or so per year and have for the last 20 years or so. They make the Roll Bar versions for running shoes and walking shoes and cross fit shoes. Go get fitted at a dedicated real New Balance store and try them.

Good Luck.

barreg

Post by barreg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 pm

I agree with the suggestion of just getting insole inserts if you're just looking for insoles with good arch support and which can be moved to most shoes (as long as their insoles are removable). I have several pairs of the green SuperFeet insoles (picked them up on sale over time) as well as custom orthodics I got when I was running regularly and having foot pain. That way, I don't need to switch them between shoes.

If you're going to be running regularly, then the suggestion of going to a good running store to have them evaluate your stride and recommend a shoe is a good one, but if you're just looking for gym shoes, this wouldn't be necessary.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm

My son pronates to the point that he has needed custom orthotics for the past few years. We have settled on New Balance Stability shoes to support his inserts, and he has been pain-free for several years now. NB's Stability Shoes are those with model numbers where the 10s digit is a 6--so he's wearing the 860 v5 now.

One important thing to note though--regardless of what you choose, inspect the outsoles every month or two. If you notice uneven wear, especially on the instep, throw the shoes out and replace them. You probably need more aggressive inserts, but need a new, flat platform to support them or they won't do you any good.

XCskiguy

Post by XCskiguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm

I have very flat feet and am also active. As mentioned above, if you will be doing any running or walking I would suggest going to a local specialty running store to get fit. I used custom orthotics for years but they weren't the most comfortable things. 5-6 years ago I went to a local running store for a "gait analysis" and they put me in a supportive pair of running shoes (happened to be Saucony) with blue Superfeet soles. The knee pain I had been experiencing went away and I have stuck to these same soles and similar shoes since.

I also suggest that you use running shoes for only running and walking. If you will be doing things like playing basketball, tennis, racquetball, or weight lifting you would be better off with a cross trainer for those activities. I used to wear my running shoes for all gym activities and ended up damaging one of my big toenails from getting jammed into the end of the shoe.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm

You have absolutely NOTHING to lose by going to a running store as has been suggested over and over here. They will have experience and the shoes to try and even run on a treadmill there. Also with the camera that focuses on your feet and foot strike.
They will probably have insoles to try.
If you want you can go look all around at other places and websites and spend hours and never even get to try on a shoe. Or go to the running store.
The time it takes to monitor the answers to your thread you could be out the door and visit a running store.

Topic Author
clemrick

Post by clemrick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Wow! lots to try out.
I live in a small town but will be going to St. Louis next Tuesday and may add a running store to my to-do list.

Thank you all.