Jury duty - already booked vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
drg02b

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by drg02b » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 am

FB01 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:32 am
Thank you guys for all the feedback.

In my county, they gave me option to select a different week which I did. They did not ask for any documentation.

-JR

Glad to hear... that's what they do in my jurisdiction... they even let me pick the week over the phone.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

Last year my wife was called to local jury duty and federal jury duty within the same month.

As it turned out, for both jurisdictions, there were no trials that actually happened and she did not need to serve at all.

Benbo

Post by Benbo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 pm
texasdiver wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Dave55 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Benbo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
Perhaps the summons was lost in the mail and you didn't receive it.....?
I knew a guy who that happened to for 30 years!

Dave
Yeah... DON'T do that. Some jurisdictions will issue a bench warrant for failure to respond which could get you arrested next time you cross paths with law inforcement such as a traffic stop. So you get a ride to the police station in the back of a squad car and get your car towed to the impound lot. Not fun. Every place I have ever lived has been flexible about accommodating schedule conflicts.
Not a good thing -- if the police show up at your workplace.. ;(
Relax. The police aren't going to come get you if you miss your first jury summons. You'll get second summons a few weeks after missing your first. No big deal. Sheesh!!

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Benbo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Relax. The police aren't going to come get you if you miss your first jury summons. You'll get second summons a few weeks after missing your first. No big deal. Sheesh!!
I dunno. You might not be safe even at the grocery store:
"Madeline Byrne was making a quick trip to the grocery store to buy some cheese when a sheriff’s deputy approached her car in the parking lot and slipped something through her open window. It was a jury summons.

Ms. Byrne, 64, was ordered to report for jury duty a little more than an hour later at the Lee County courthouse in Sanford, N.C. When Ms. Byrne protested, the deputy told her, “Be there or you’ll be in contempt.”

“I wasn’t too happy,” said Ms. Byrne, one of at least a dozen people handed summonses at random in March outside a Food Lion and a Wal-Mart."

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/us/29juror.html

In my jurisdiction, no problem in rescheduling.