Jury duty - already booked vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FB01
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 am

Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by FB01 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am

Hello,

I have been called for the jury duty in the week where I have already booked my vacation.

What are my next steps? Should I call them and let them know and I can come before or after that week?

Or what would their answer be?

Can anyone who have similar experience share the details?

Thanks,
JR

Rupert
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Rupert » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 am

Call them and tell them you have a conflict. Typically, they'll re-schedule you for another week. You don't get to pick the week.

treypar
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:55 pm
Location: GA

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by treypar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am

I have requested a jury service deferral once. The court waived my jury service for that date but said they would send another one in the future.

jadedfalcons
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by jadedfalcons » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 am

Where I live, they'll give a deferral for up to 6 months, tho I usually just request five months. I always call in and asked to be deferred since I work 60+hours a week every week of the year, so it's a real pain in the hiney to get stuck on a jury.

wilshuer
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by wilshuer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 am

I imagine if you contact them, they will reschedule.

Quite lucky where I live, they have online impaneling. The notice in the mail gives you a date to show up, however go into the online system and you can pick a week during a 8 week range, and as soon as the next week. Over the weekend they send an email with the details on which courtroom to show up to and on which day. If you're canceled, you'll get an email the night before, and you've met your commitment. Painless and no sitting around all morning waiting to be called from a room of 100s of people.

Get a notice about once a year, haven't had to actually serve yet.

omibogle
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:34 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by omibogle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am

Deferral is probably what you can do. In my situation I had already deferred once, so I ended up having to go to court. Although I didn't have vacation booked the day of the jury selection, I had vacation booked in the coming weeks and that disqualified me from being selected, so I was sent home.

sergio
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by sergio » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am

At one point you could call and ask for either a 3 month or 6 month extensions without having to speak to someone (IL). Back in college I got summoned on a day where I had a final exam. Asked for a 6-month extension so I'd get summoned during summer break. Never got called to come back in (and haven't been summoned in 10+ years).

ResearchMed
Posts: 7448
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 am

Most of the above comments reflect local court procedures.

You need to call the Court admin. to find out the process/rules in your jurisdiction.

Isn't there a phone number (or perhaps email these days?) to contact for situations like this?
If not, look online for one.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dcabler
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by dcabler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 am

The details are going to depend on exactly where you live and the jurisdiction for the particular court you'd be called for. As others said, contact them. I've had this issue before and it wasn't a problem.

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by livesoft » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 am

Follow the directions on your summons. The people employed by the courts are generally sympathetic to non-abusive and nice potential jury members.

Personal experience: Always got excused without issues.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Theseus
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Theseus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 am

I just had to go through with the same thing 3 months back. I was already booked for a Europe trip when I received the summons from our county court. I called them on the number provided in the summons. They requested the reservation details for flights etc. I provided it and they rescheduled me a month later (which I had to reschedule again due to work conflict - they were not happy and told me that was the last time they would do that).

So I don't think this should require you to cancel your vacation. They are usually aware of such things and able to work around your commitments.

Benbo
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Benbo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am

Perhaps the summons was lost in the mail and you didn't receive it.....?

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am

One time I had Federal Jury Duty, which involves being on call to come in if needed for four Tuesdays in a row. Just before the last of the four Tuesdays, a relative told me I needed to travel several states away to say my last goodbyes to a relative in hospice. I left several messages, but had to leave on my flight before a response came, and was worried I would be fined for not showing up.

Thankfully, when the response came, it was a recording that my services were no longer needed and "thank you for your service."

hq38sq43
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Bradenton FL

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by hq38sq43 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am

When near the end of my career as a government lawyer in Washington, DC, members of the bar became subject to jury service, I was glad to be summoned and to serve. When I requested deferral for valid reason the request was always granted without quibble.

Sure, jury duty is sometimes a nuisance, even a burden, but it is a essential part of our democracy. Service as a juror can also be a terrific learning experience. When my wife reported her experience whenever she served while I could not, I was awed and envious. When I eventually served (and was usually immediately elected foreman) my awe of juries and their role in our democracy grew exponentially. It is amazing how well and how seriously most ordinary people serving as jurors do their job. To serve with them always made me proud.


Service as a juror is both a civic duty and an honor, and should be gladly accepted as such when possible. It can also be an eye-opening and pleasurable experience. At least it always was for me.


Best wishes,
Harry at Bradenton

User avatar
jharkin
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by jharkin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am

+1 to all the replies. The summons should have information about deferrals, hardship exemptions and transfer requests + a phone number to call and discuss special circumstances.

Where I live, every summons allows one request to reschedule for up to a year in the future with no justification. Anything else you have to call and talk to them but they do seem fairly accommodating.

goblue100
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by goblue100 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 am

hq38sq43 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am
When I requested deferral for valid reason the request was always granted without quibble.
This has been my experience in the large metropolitan area where I live. I had a conflict once, and they were more than happy to have me come back on a better week. I had the sense they were grateful I didn't just no show, which I expect a large portion of people do.
Can't take it with you when you're gone | But I want enough to get there on - Rollin with the flow - Jerry Hayes

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by LiveSimple » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 am

Where we live, we do need to send in the document to show the planned vacation such as airline reservation and request to be rescheduled.

FB01
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by FB01 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:32 am

Thank you guys for all the feedback.

In my county, they gave me option to select a different week which I did. They did not ask for any documentation.

-JR

shell921
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by shell921 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:40 am

hq38sq43 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am
When near the end of my career as a government lawyer in Washington, DC, members of the bar became subject to jury service, I was glad to be summoned and to serve. When I requested deferral for valid reason the request was always granted without quibble.

Sure, jury duty is sometimes a nuisance, even a burden, but it is a essential part of our democracy. Service as a juror can also be a terrific learning experience. When my wife reported her experience whenever she served while I could not, I was awed and envious. When I eventually served (and was usually immediately elected foreman) my awe of juries and their role in our democracy grew exponentially. It is amazing how well and how seriously most ordinary people serving as jurors do their job. To serve with them always made me proud.


Service as a juror is both a civic duty and an honor, and should be gladly accepted as such when possible. It can also be an eye-opening and pleasurable experience. At least it always was for me.


Best wishes,
I served on 3 juries in - all over 15 years ago. YES you learn quite a bit and YES there are decent, intelligent people on juries who strive to do a good job but there are also
people who do not listen-who fall asleep during the trial and who have nothing to contribute to the deliberation process! There are also some people who want to prolong the deliberation process ! One woman worked at the DMV and hated her job so she was stalling because she did not want to go back to work! Made me want to never become involved in the litigation process in any way!

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 am

FB01 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am
Hello,

I have been called for the jury duty in the week where I have already booked my vacation.

What are my next steps? Should I call them and let them know and I can come before or after that week?

Or what would their answer be?

Can anyone who have similar experience share the details?

Thanks,
JR
Happened here, no real problem, we called the courthouse and they were agreeable to letting us reschedule the jury duty. This happens occasionally.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7448
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am

jharkin wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am
+1 to all the replies. The summons should have information about deferrals, hardship exemptions and transfer requests + a phone number to call and discuss special circumstances.

Where I live, every summons allows one request to reschedule for up to a year in the future with no justification. Anything else you have to call and talk to them but they do seem fairly accommodating.
This is what our jurisdiction does. For a single "deferral" up to a year, no need for a reason.
If one needs a longer deferral, e.g., for medical reasons, one needs to specify and have a physician's letter of explanation.

The first time I was called, I was about to move, to a nearby but different county. I called to ask what I should do, as I was happy to serve (and curious, too), but I'd no longer be a resident in the jurisdiction. "No, but thank you", etc.

I've only been notified 2 other times, and each time had to request a change of date, and each time, was never contacted again.

DH ended up being summoned, and selected. It was a murder trial. At least it wasn't terribly gruesome (as murder trials go, I suppose). He became foreman. Although I've been curious and would be happy actually to serve, I'm not sure about something like that...

I think a grand jury would be really fascinating, but that's a long process, I think. I wonder who they really are able to get for those.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jacksonm
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by jacksonm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm

I've reported for jury duty 3 times but I have never sat on a jury although I would like to have the experience. The first time I simply sat in a room in traffic court for an entire week while lawyers were plea bargaining and not one person in the room with me was ever called to sit on a jury. The next two times I got as far as jury selection and both times I was eliminated by one side or the other. The questions that eliminated me were 1.) Do you have any relatives in law enforcement? (I do). 2.) Have you ever been a party in a lawsuit? (I have) 3.) I see that you are an engineer by trade - does that mean that I will have to show you absolute proof to find the accused guilty? (asked by the prosecuting attorney - I answered "can you clarify the question" which probably sealed my fate) 4.) If I show you evidence that my client wasn't intoxicated will you find him not guilty? (same case but asked by the defense attorney much to my surprise that they could even ask such a question. I replied in the affirmative which may have also sealed my fate).

So I eventually concluded I was never going to sit on a jury but I kept getting jury summons and for a long time I kept getting them quite frequently for some unknown reason. Fortunately, the adopted a system in the county where you called in the night before to see if you had to report and I never did.

Eventually, it occurred to me that all the summons I was receiving in the mail were being sent by regular mail. There is therefore no way they could prove whether or not you actually received it. So when they next one came I simply ignored it.

The result was that I have never gotten another summons.

I would still like to have the experience, especially now that I'm retired, but I doubt that it will ever happen.

Gnirk
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Gnirk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

In Washington, we can request a one-time postponement and rescheduling of jury duty. Ours is all done on-line, so depending upon your jurisdiction, I would call the jury officer, explain the situation, and see if you can reschedule for a later date.

We are snowbirds, so I rescheduled last year from late November jury date to early May jury date.

camden
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by camden » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm

wilshuer wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 am
I imagine if you contact them, they will reschedule.

Quite lucky where I live, they have online impaneling. The notice in the mail gives you a date to show up, however go into the online system and you can pick a week during a 8 week range, and as soon as the next week. Over the weekend they send an email with the details on which courtroom to show up to and on which day. If you're canceled, you'll get an email the night before, and you've met your commitment. Painless and no sitting around all morning waiting to be called from a room of 100s of people.

Get a notice about once a year, haven't had to actually serve yet.
This is an incredibly common sense and efficient way to do it. When I requested and got a deferral recently, I enquired as to whether it was possible to “schedule” a week in the future so as to be able to arrange my work schedule so as not to burden my colleagues with an unplanned absence, and was told “no” in a way that made it seem as though I had asked to do something criminal. May I ask where you live that has such an enlightened way of arranging jury service?

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by GoldStar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Google "Postponing Jury Duty <State-Name>" to find out what you need to do.

It's state dependent. In some states it might be county/district dependent.
In most states I think one deferral is allowed - but not sure if that's true for all states/counties.

BigMoneyNoWhammies
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm

jadedfalcons wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 am
Where I live, they'll give a deferral for up to 6 months, tho I usually just request five months. I always call in and asked to be deferred since I work 60+hours a week every week of the year, so it's a real pain in the hiney to get stuck on a jury.
Where I was living at the time during the only instance I had a conflict with jury duty also did deferrals of 6 months. I received a summons again within the year. worth a try to ask.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48607
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

To those who suggested ignoring the summons, see: FAQs: Juror Information | United States Courts

Must I respond to my jury duty notice?

Yes, it is legally required, and there are penalties for noncompliance. Jurors perform a vital role in the American system of justice. Jury service is an important civic function that supports one of the fundamental rights of citizens - the right to have their cases decided by a jury of their peers.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
c.coyle
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:10 pm
Location: Eastern Pa.

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by c.coyle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Benbo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
Perhaps the summons was lost in the mail and you didn't receive it.....?
Really, really dumb and irresponsible advice. They can send the sheriff (or whoever the designated officer is in your state) to actually arrest you and haul you before the judge if you just fail to appear. Asking for a deferral is the way to go.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

User avatar
c.coyle
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:10 pm
Location: Eastern Pa.

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by c.coyle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm

jacksonm wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm
. . . Eventually, it occurred to me that all the summons I was receiving in the mail were being sent by regular mail. There is therefore no way they could prove whether or not you actually received it. So when they next one came I simply ignored it. . . .
Now that's some mighty fine citizenship right there. Would you advise your kids or grand kids to blow off a summons, too? A summons is a court order requiring you to appear. You are lucky the judge didn't send someone out to arrest you.

People who duck jury duty are often the same people who think they know it all and call jurors stupid and gullible when there's a big money verdict or when a defendant accused of something horrible gets acquitted.
Last edited by c.coyle on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

RickBoglehead
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm

jharkin wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am
The summons should have information about deferrals, hardship exemptions and transfer requests + a phone number to call and discuss special circumstances.
This ^^^^

jacksonm
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by jacksonm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 am

c.coyle wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm
jacksonm wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm
. . . Eventually, it occurred to me that all the summons I was receiving in the mail were being sent by regular mail. There is therefore no way they could prove whether or not you actually received it. So when they next one came I simply ignored it. . . .
Now that's some mighty fine citizenship right there. Would you advise your kids or grand kids to blow off a summons, too? A summons is a court order requiring you to appear. You are lucky the judge didn't send someone out to arrest you.

People who duck jury duty are often the same people who think they know it all and call jurors stupid and gullible when there's a big money verdict or when a defendant accused of something horrible gets acquitted.
I'm assuming you read my entire post and therefore aren't talking about me when you say "duck jury duty". It would be more accurate to say that jury duty ducked me. One thing I noticed on the last summons I received and returned in the mail was that it asked the exact two same questions that I listed as #1 and #2 in my post - do you have any relatives in law enforcement and have you ever been a party in a lawsuit? That may have actually been the reason I got removed from the selection pool and not my failure to respond. If so, I appreciate them not wasting my time by having me take a day off work to drive downtown and sit all day only to tell me I was rejected.

open_circuit
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by open_circuit » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:23 am

sergio wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am
At one point you could call and ask for either a 3 month or 6 month extensions without having to speak to someone (IL). Back in college I got summoned on a day where I had a final exam. Asked for a 6-month extension so I'd get summoned during summer break. Never got called to come back in (and haven't been summoned in 10+ years).
I'm surprised you weren't exempted. When I was in college, my state / county allowed full time students to claim jury duty exemption. No deferral required, just respond to the summons with your student status (and be prepared to prove it).

scrabbler1
Posts: 2229
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am

Back in the 1980s, I was called for JD and the week conflicted with an actuarial exam I was already signed up for. I wrote back asking for a postponement. It was granted.

Six months later, they called me again and it would have conflicted with the actuarial exams again. But lucky for them (and me?) I had stopped taking them after the last one (I gave up on them), so I was able to go on JD. It was almost like a vacation - I slept later, had a 15-minute drive to the courthouse instead of an hour+ on the trains to work, and still got paid full salary.

More recently, my ladyfriend was called for JD. She asked for a postponement but was able to pick a specific week. We looked up the calendar and saw a week the following April when Passover had just begun. Figuring the court docket would be lighter that week, she chose that one and it was granted. After calling in for 2 straight nights before, the recording told her not only not to show up and don't call in again - she was done. She has not been called back since.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 5654
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:29 pm

I had my first jury summons when I was 60. Unfortunately, it was the last day of working at Megacorp, which wasn't good at all. However, they allowed one automatic postponement, for which you could select a replacement week (although they didn't guarantee it). I chose a week with nothing scheduled at all. I did have to go down and sit in chairs at the courthouse, but I was not selected for a jury.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18763
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 pm

My wife was called to jury duty and, because she had a conflict, her duty was easily rescheduled.

Overall, I was pleased to serve on the juries I did.

In this area, you need to be available for two weeks, but may not need to go in on certain days. They also, for criminal trials, select 20 - then each side can scratch 4. On one two seek stretch, I chose to wear a suit and tie. I kept getting scratched. Someone said I looked like a lawyer - and that was why I kept getting scratched. On another stretch, I dressed more casually - and did not get scratched.

One guy during this time kept getting scratched because he was employed at the Drug Enforcement Administration.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7651
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Service as a juror is both a civic duty and an honor, and should be gladly accepted as such when possible. It can also be an eye-opening and pleasurable experience. At least it always was for me.
I generally agree, except for the one time I served on a grand jury. It was a while ago, but iirc it was one or two days a week for a long time (3 months maybe?).
1. My jury seemed to want to prove the old saw about a DA having so much pull they could indict a ham sandwich.
2. While illegal, my then-boss made it clear that she considered me a waste of space, because “any idiot can get out of jury duty.” It was easier to just get a new job than talk to her about civic duty.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

vested1
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by vested1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm

I've been on several juries and always enjoyed it, especially the attempted murder case. I had a boss in the past who told me to throw my jury summons in the trash, which of course I refused to do. He said he always threw his away, and I informed him that if he was ever stopped by a traffic cop he would be taking a ride in the back of the patrol car due to the bench warrants that had been issued for him.

My MIL was 90 when she received a summons to jury duty in a higher court, 65 miles from her skilled nursing facility. She was blind and unable to walk or stand. They refused to excuse her from jury duty, even when I explained her situation. Thankfully I was eventually able to convince someone higher up that she should be excused.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 pm

vested1 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm
I've been on several juries and always enjoyed it, especially the attempted murder case. I had a boss in the past who told me to throw my jury summons in the trash, which of course I refused to do. He said he always threw his away, and I informed him that if he was ever stopped by a traffic cop he would be taking a ride in the back of the patrol car due to the bench warrants that had been issued for him.

My MIL was 90 when she received a summons to jury duty in a higher court, 65 miles from her skilled nursing facility. She was blind and unable to walk or stand. They refused to excuse her from jury duty, even when I explained her situation. Thankfully I was eventually able to convince someone higher up that she should be excused.
Interesting. Where I reside, being 65 or older is a reason to be dismissed for a State summons if you do not wish to serve. In fact, I used that to be exempted about a year ago for a situation very similar to OP's. As I was told that was fine, I was also informed that my name would be put "back in the barrel" in six months. I have sat on a few juries and always found it interesting. DW has never been summoned and is very disappointed by that. Luck of the draw.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Company doesn't pay for jury duty, hence I claim a financial hardship

theplayer11
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm in my 50's and have never been called for duty. I'm self employed and business could not operate if I wasn't around. Would I just claim financial hardship if I were called?

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm
I'm in my 50's and have never been called for duty. I'm self employed and business could not operate if I wasn't around. Would I just claim financial hardship if I were called?
In my (state-specific) experience, people in that situation have reported as summoned, but in the initial stage the judge has asked if anyone is present who has a reason they can not serve. People who have been in your situation have always been excused at that point. YMMV.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18763
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 pm
vested1 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm
I've been on several juries and always enjoyed it, especially the attempted murder case. I had a boss in the past who told me to throw my jury summons in the trash, which of course I refused to do. He said he always threw his away, and I informed him that if he was ever stopped by a traffic cop he would be taking a ride in the back of the patrol car due to the bench warrants that had been issued for him.

My MIL was 90 when she received a summons to jury duty in a higher court, 65 miles from her skilled nursing facility. She was blind and unable to walk or stand. They refused to excuse her from jury duty, even when I explained her situation. Thankfully I was eventually able to convince someone higher up that she should be excused.
Interesting. Where I reside, being 65 or older is a reason to be dismissed for a State summons if you do not wish to serve. In fact, I used that to be exempted about a year ago for a situation very similar to OP's. As I was told that was fine, I was also informed that my name would be put "back in the barrel" in six months. I have sat on a few juries and always found it interesting. DW has never been summoned and is very disappointed by that. Luck of the draw.
Yes. Because of my age, when last called - I could have received an automatic exemption from serving. However, since I was semi-retired and had no problems with serving on a jury - I voluntarily agreed to serve.

Dave55
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Dave55 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Benbo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
Perhaps the summons was lost in the mail and you didn't receive it.....?
I knew a guy who that happened to for 30 years!

Dave

texasdiver
Posts: 2719
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by texasdiver » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Benbo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
Perhaps the summons was lost in the mail and you didn't receive it.....?
I knew a guy who that happened to for 30 years!

Dave
Yeah... DON'T do that. Some jurisdictions will issue a bench warrant for failure to respond which could get you arrested next time you cross paths with law inforcement such as a traffic stop. So you get a ride to the police station in the back of a squad car and get your car towed to the impound lot. Not fun. Every place I have ever lived has been flexible about accommodating schedule conflicts.

NOTE: If for some reason you don't get excused you can pretty much guarantee getting dismissed from the jury pool during voir dire if you take a bad attitude about your schedule conflict. All you have to do is say something to the effect of:

"I'm happy to do my duty and serve on a jury but I do have a vacation coming up and I would be extremely unappy if I felt like my time was not being respected due to unnecessary nonsense and delays that drag this process out longer than it needs to be"

No attorney is going to place you on a jury upon hearing that.
Last edited by texasdiver on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18763
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Dave55 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Benbo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
Perhaps the summons was lost in the mail and you didn't receive it.....?
I knew a guy who that happened to for 30 years!

Dave
Yeah... DON'T do that. Some jurisdictions will issue a bench warrant for failure to respond which could get you arrested next time you cross paths with law inforcement such as a traffic stop. So you get a ride to the police station in the back of a squad car and get your car towed to the impound lot. Not fun. Every place I have ever lived has been flexible about accommodating schedule conflicts.
Not a good thing -- if the police show up at your workplace.. ;(

iamlucky13
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 pm
2. While illegal, my then-boss made it clear that she considered me a waste of space, because “any idiot can get out of jury duty.” It was easier to just get a new job than talk to her about civic duty.
I was curious if anything interesting came up in the dozens of comments that followed the OP stating their question was resolved. This one seems serious enough to have been worth continuing the discussion for.

This is the kind of situation where it is good to try to have a trusted coworker around when having discussions about about the topic, or conduct them by email, so there is a witness or paper trail if any adverse and illegal action is taken. Even if planning to just leave the company, I'd want to be as prepared as possible in case they do something first.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7651
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:22 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 pm
2. While illegal, my then-boss made it clear that she considered me a waste of space, because “any idiot can get out of jury duty.” It was easier to just get a new job than talk to her about civic duty.
I was curious if anything interesting came up in the dozens of comments that followed the OP stating their question was resolved. This one seems serious enough to have been worth continuing the discussion for.

This is the kind of situation where it is good to try to have a trusted coworker around when having discussions about about the topic, or conduct them by email, so there is a witness or paper trail if any adverse and illegal action is taken. Even if planning to just leave the company, I'd want to be as prepared as possible in case they do something first.
In this particular case, her bad behavior about my jury duty was just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. She also gave contracts, significant contracts, to friends. She wasn't long for the world, and had already been found out before I left.

I agree, though, about having corroboration about certain things. I made sure that HR's legal staff knew one time that I was going to discuss a questionable series of payments that had been made by my department without my approval. I had a "sense" that the auditors knew about it, so I wanted ground cover if anything unexpected came HR's way. I never officially found anything, but the payments stopped, the audit department was reorganized, and the CIO office was replaced. I did get a friendly nod and smile from the CEO. It still gives me a warm feeling.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

User avatar
AJTrenkle
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 am
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by AJTrenkle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:33 am

This is not directed at the OP who has a legitimate reason for a deferral, but I find nearly all the responses disappointing in either substance or tone. For all the blessings we receive as Americans and considering that so many have given everything to preserve this republic, really the only civic duty required of us is jury service once in a blue moon.

Sorry to be a bit over the top but it really is important for all of us to serve.

Jags4186
Posts: 2541
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 am

Call and tell them “thank you for selecting me. I think I’ll make a great juror because I’m really good at spotting guilty people.”

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7651
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Jury duty - already booked vacation

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:49 am

AJTrenkle wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:33 am
This is not directed at the OP who has a legitimate reason for a deferral, but I find nearly all the responses disappointing in either substance or tone. For all the blessings we receive as Americans and considering that so many have given everything to preserve this republic, really the only civic duty required of us is jury service once in a blue moon.

Sorry to be a bit over the top but it really is important for all of us to serve.
I agree that serving on a jury is an important civic duty. I disagree strongly that it's the "only civic duty required." Not only do we need to vote, but we need to inform ourselves about the issues. Based on the woeful percentage of people who vote, not to mention some less than wise outcomes, I'm not sure that this civic duty has been met by the voters in this country.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Post Reply