de-balling down comforter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Theseus

de-balling down comforter?

Post by Theseus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 am

Being stupid me, I washed my favorite down comforter in the washer and then dried in the drier. :oops:. I guess I should have sent in for dry cleaning.

Well, all the down feathers are balled up in its own squares and despite trying hard it won't get it back to what it was before - or even close. Before I go run out and buy another expensive down comforter, just wanted to see if anyone knows a trick that can fix this?

ResearchMed

Re: de-balling down comforter?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 am

Theseus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 am
Being stupid me, I washed my favorite down comforter in the washer and then dried in the drier. :oops:. I guess I should have sent in for dry cleaning.

Well, all the down feathers are balled up in its own squares and despite trying hard it won't get it back to what it was before - or even close. Before I go run out and buy another expensive down comforter, just wanted to see if anyone knows a trick that can fix this?
For starters, try putting it back in the dryer, with a few tennis balls.
Just use "air" or "cool".

See if that helps.

Is there any chance that part of the problem is too much soap was used, and there is residue sort of gumming things up?

You might contact a "down company" (or even Eddie Bauer/Lands End and ask for advice.
And depending upon price point of the comforter - or what you'd spend to replace - see if it can be professionally cleaned (NOT "dry cleaned", but cleaned by those who "do" down).

Good luck.

ETA: Uh, *clean* tennis balls, white ones, not colored! :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am

Clumping is a sign it's not completely dry. You'll want to dry it completely to prevent mold.

Drying on warm for longer than you think. The tennis balls are a great idea. It sounds awful, but it works.

My understanding is you can have it washed professionally, but never dry clean down. Front loader only!
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you. I will try this. But it has been dry for a few weeks now. So I am not sure there is any moisture left. But I have nothing to loose so I will try.

fposte

Post by fposte » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am

Depending on your investment level, if the drying with tennis balls doesn't work I might rewash it and then dry it with tennis balls. The fibers might be too intertwined to break up dry at this point.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:49 am

If you do rewash it (try no soap this time), consider taking it to a laundromat with those clean tennis balls, and put it in a LARGE dryer so it can really tumble freely. Bring a kindle.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:02 pm

CAsage wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:49 am
If you do rewash it (try no soap this time), consider taking it to a laundromat with those clean tennis balls, and put it in a LARGE dryer so it can really tumble freely. Bring a kindle.
Make sure that at the end of the drying cycle, or perhaps for the "final" drying cycle (it may well take more than one, so bring that kindle and some snacks), put it on air only, no heat.

That will give you a better chance to feel if there is any dampness. If there is even a tiny hint, send it through another cycle. It can be difficult to be sure it is fully dry through and through.

BTW, if it's anything other than a twin, "don't try this at home". :wink:
And probably best not even for a twin.
There just won't be enough space for it to sort of "float around freely" to let the down disperse enough to dry evenly.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I would rinse it (final rinse cycle) and use tennis balls or wool dryer balls or the plastic dryer balls. Or even clean tennis shoes will work (been there and done that it and it was fine).

I suspect the clean tennis shoes work best because they are much heavier than tennis balls and the rubber in the soles creates static electricity.