Zion Nat'l Park & mosquitos in October?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
R2D2

Zion Nat'l Park & mosquitos in October?

Post by R2D2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am

First, thanks for all the advice on this board wrt visiting national parks.

We are going to be hiking in Zion National Park later this October, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to pack insect repellent. On the one hand, it's October (and not very warm!); on the other hand, I'm a mosquito magnet.

Any experience with this?

R2D2

Re: Zion Nat'l Park & mosquitos in October?

Post by R2D2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am

Anyone?

kdsunday

Post by kdsunday » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:22 am

We visited there last year (along with Bryce) in late October. It's a very nice time to visit - crowds should be pretty thin. I don't believe we had any trouble with mosquitoes - and I usually get bit a lot if they are around - or any other pests. That said, it can't hurt to bring the spray along (though it will probably be chilly enough that you are wearing long pants and sleeves) or to call the ranger lodge and ask them how bug conditions are.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. -Yogi Berra

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am

I would call the park and ask since it could vary from year to year and with where you will be in the park.

I don't know about Zion but I have been places where flies were more of a problem than mosquitoes so you might ask about bugs in general.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Just pack the repellent. What is the big deal. It is not even a large item for your luggage. Utah is not known for mosquitos. May be some. I have never worried much about any kinds of bugs out west.

If you pack it or not will it make a difference on your luggage use? Be realistic.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Kdsunday & Watty: Thanks for the helpful replies. Kdsunday, It's actually quite useful to know that you're a mosquito magnet like me. Watty, good idea about calling the park.

Shallowpockets: This is not helpful at all. I don't want to pay extra to check a bag, and bug spray doesn't travel well as it is. There are a zillion things I could pack "just in case" but I'd rather use my brain and be particular about what I bring.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Contact info for Zion NP
https://www.nps.gov/zion/contacts.htm

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm

MJS wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm
Contact info for Zion NP
https://www.nps.gov/zion/contacts.htm
Thanks MJS!

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Much more likely to have crowds than mosquitoes.

Oct. is a great time to visit - we went 2 or 3 years back. No mosquitoes, although my wife did get attacked by some wasps as we were washing off in the creek near camp. Turned out there was a nest up in the tree that we disturbed!
Oh yeah, crowds were pretty intense. Expect it to be at capacity if going on a weekend.

jonballs

Post by jonballs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 pm

We were just there last week and didn't even notice any mosquitoes. Maybe the recent rains had kept them at bay? Of course, we hail from middle TN, so pretty much everywhere else in the country has fewer mosquitoes than home, so maybe that's why we didn't notice any.

Now, if you can find some good crowd repellent, I'd definitely stock up! It's an amazing place though.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:22 pm

If you're flying and you want to bring bug repellant, they also sell it in the form of wet wipes, in sealed packets. These are easy to tuck into a backpack or pocket and don't trigger any of the TSA issues with pressurized spray cans. They're cheap, easy to apply, easy to pack, and are often available as free samples.

That said, we had no mosquito issues at that park when we visited in mid-July last year. Obviously conditions may have changed, but they were warmer at that time (and you're calling already).

Something that I've found works for me (and it's a little weird) is to eat more garlic starting about two weeks before the trip. (Maybe that's the crowd repellant?) Also, cut sugar completely from your diet in the same timeframe. Those two items may help you not to be a mosquito magnet. As an alternative, bring a hiking buddy and feed them M&M's constantly during the hike. :D

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Probably not this time of year. But if there are mosquitoes, there’s a town right next to the park. Literally walking distance from the entrance. You can buy some there.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:11 pm

We car-camped & day hiked for a week along Hole in the Wall Rd in the Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument at the end of September. No bugs.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm

AccuWeather has a mosquito forecast just for you:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/zion- ... /28252_poi

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am
First, thanks for all the advice on this board wrt visiting national parks.

We are going to be hiking in Zion National Park later this October, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to pack insect repellent. On the one hand, it's October (and not very warm!); on the other hand, I'm a mosquito magnet.

Any experience with this?
There aren't a lot of mosquitos at ZNP because it's a pretty arid climate. I never wear bug dope there. Of course, I grew up in Alaska so I'm a bit more tolerant of mosquitoes than most.

However, I think your risk now is VERY low given recent temperatures around here. The low tomorrow is 33 degrees there.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 pm
Kdsunday & Watty: Thanks for the helpful replies. Kdsunday, It's actually quite useful to know that you're a mosquito magnet like me. Watty, good idea about calling the park.

Shallowpockets: This is not helpful at all. I don't want to pay extra to check a bag, and bug spray doesn't travel well as it is. There are a zillion things I could pack "just in case" but I'd rather use my brain and be particular about what I bring.
There aren’t many mosquitoes in the desert, especially in cold weather. If you want sunscreen or bug repellent or water (which is critical) why drag it along in a suitcase? Just buy it locally between the airport and your destination. That’s what I do. E.g. if you fly into LAS, you can buy everything you need in Vegas before heading north or you can find a local Walmart (and many other stores ) between I 15 and Zion that sell things like bug repellent. The parks also have refillable water stations, I use a mix of store bought bottles and refillable bottles.

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 am

We were there a few weeks ago. Two things I usually pack but didn't for that trip - bug repellent and ponchos. We didn't need either!!

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm
AccuWeather has a mosquito forecast just for you:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/zion- ... /28252_poi
Wow, this is great! I had no idea there was such a thing.
Thanks for all the replies.