How do you buy a mattress ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
parigi723

How do you buy a mattress ?

Post by parigi723 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:42 am

Hello everyone:
Is there a proper way to buy a mattress? I'm about to replace the one in my 5th W travel trailer and I'm curious to hear your advice.
Your input it's much appreciated!parigi.

ShowMeTheER

Re: How do you buy a mattress ?

Post by ShowMeTheER » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 am

I don't think there is a proper way, just do whatever works for you. I have become comfortable with memory foam mattresses so I just order online and a compact box shows up on my doorstep. Talk about a time saver versus the traditional runaround and delivery coordination.

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 am

I researched this site:
https://www.themattressunderground.com/

Gave up on all the variations of memory foam mattresses and decided to go with 100% latex.

Ultimately chose this brand and pleased with the decision:
https://spindlemattress.com/

That said, I wouldn't buy latex for a trailer since it is heavy. Weight should be a consideration for this purpose.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 am

ShowMeTheER wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 am
I don't think there is a proper way, just do whatever works for you. I have become comfortable with memory foam mattresses so I just order online and a compact box shows up on my doorstep. Talk about a time saver versus the traditional runaround and delivery coordination.
How do you dispose of your old mattress?

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 am

Ordered Tuft and Needle. It comes compressed in a box. We like that it sleeps cool and it's firm but not too firm. We now have three of them in the house.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:44 am

Consumer Reports has always said to go to the store and lay on them. Lay on the one you’re going to buy for at least 20 minutes. Try all the positions.

In a trailer...is it a residential size mattress, or RV size? RV forums have discussions about where to get good quality mattresses in RV sizes, or custom sizes. I haven’t had to buy a new one yet, so I don’t know the answer. I do know that our motorhome mattress is about 40 pounds, and our home mattress is much, much heavier. So pay attention to weight.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:20 am

My experience is that an RV bed may be called "queen" or "king", but they are often different sizes from standard. Do some measuring before you shop.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:33 am

I've done the "mattress in a box" thing (Leesa) and found the experience far superior to the mattress store. I did the lay on every mattress thing, but found it resulted in option paralysis and didn't really translate into overnight comfort. Price ended up about half.

Another thing I really liked about the mattress in a box is that you don't need a team of guys traipsing through your house with a bulky object. The mattress is quite manageable by one person until you unfurl it.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 am

My 5th wheel trailer uses a standard size queen mattress. Got it at Sam's Club. Be advised that any mattress you buy is going to be heavier than the cheap stuff that comes with the trailer. If you have storage space under your bed it's going to make lifting the bed much more difficult to get to that storage area, but it's worth it for a good night's sleep.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 am

After a good amount of research, I developed a good way to buy a mattress earlier this year. It worked well for me and I recommend it, and I posted about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249597

Buy a firm or very firm innerspring mattress. This does not have to be expensive, I got mine at IKEA for $300. Sleep on it a couple nights to find out if it is too firm for your tastes. Adding a 2 inch thick memory foam mattress topper can cost about $60 and will take your firmness to about medium. 3 inches would get you a very soft feel and would cost $100.

Now you have a mattress that won't hardly ever wear out- you can replace the topper as it wears- and was a good value and is easily adjustable in firmness depending on your preference. I also added a waterproof mattress protector sheet, this is probably overkill.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 am

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:42 am
Hello everyone:
Is there a proper way to buy a mattress? I'm about to replace the one in my 5th W travel trailer and I'm curious to hear your advice.
Your input it's much appreciated!parigi.
The cheapies which come standard with trailers aren't even comfortable for a child.

We bought a Nova grande memory foam from Costco for our trailer. Queen was $300. We love it. When one person moves it doesn't move the other person or the trailer. On the firm side. (We have plenty of excess weight capacity in both our trailer and our truck.)

These come in a box the size of a mini fridge that you just wheel out of the store. It expands when you open the box.

Apparently everyone buys mattresses this way now. The largest retail mattress chain just filed for bankruptcy.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackburnian

Post by blackburnian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:12 am

One thing to consider is if you care about the toxic chemicals (such as fire retardants) that are in many mattresses. If you look for one without these chemicals, you will have fewer choices, which can be a good thing. Some nontoxic mattresses are pricey, but futons are not that expensive.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:24 am

I bought Bed of Nails for $20 on Amazon. After lying on it for 10 minutes, it helps me to sleep better than any mattress.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am

For a camper, definitely just go to Ikea. They have a good selection and their prices are reasonable.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am

Select comfort. air mattress. Light weight, set firmness via remote, I have one that is 20 yrs old (Queen) feels as good as when it was new.

tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 am

We have tuft and needle. I think they have 100 day no questions asked return if you don't like it. Worth looking into. There are other similar mattress in a box brands too like Casper, Leesa.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:39 am

If you are considering memory foam, please review Consumer Reports on them. The firm you hear of most often is nowhere near the highest ranked. Also, Mattress Firm is closing stores and is higher priced than many others that sell new, but older models. Personally, we always purchase Simmons brand due to cost and past experience and use local stores rather than national ones.

Tim

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:24 am
I bought Bed of Nails for $20 on Amazon. After lying on it for 10 minutes, it helps me to sleep better than any mattress.

Victoria
Is there a whips and chains option to go with that bed of nails? Leather accessories, maybe?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:40 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Is there a whips and chains option to go with that bed of nails? Leather accessories, maybe?
Whips and chains are for when you do NOT want to sleep. Here is bed of nails: https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Acupre ... 9H575QZB6S

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Go into a store and lay on them. Remember, some things it's better to buy in person rather than online. Sleep is that important.

In addition, mattress/box spring prices are oftentimes negotiable, just like a car dealer.
I learned that the hard way. :oops:
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Mattress buying is one of those fields where it's by design, a near black-box purchase.

Common themes:
1. Difficult to shop around and compare brands --- extremely famous for slight model changes making "price matching" and price comparison extremely difficult
2. High overall markups... much like quality furniture stores
3. They're a PITA to move around. I'm not a small guy, and a Queen + mattress is difficult to maneuver by myself.
4. Once you purchase one, you're sort of stuck with it.
5. It also takes a few nights to adjust to any new mattress and/or determine what works best for you.
6. "Like New" mattresses that have been used one-night by an unhappy client cannot be resold (not sure 100% on this by state laws, but it's basically a sanitation thing... would you want a "newish" mattress slept on by someone else?) - You cannot fully clean the thing; I think it's basically cheaper to make a whole new mattress than professionally clean a one-day used mattress for resell.
7. Also, many of the mattress "review sites" --- they receive kickbacks from the mattress makers when you click the links on their sites. There are several famous mattress review bloggers that their full-time career (in NYC) is reviewing mattresses. They literally get more mattresses than they know what to do with as the mattress industry knows their "review" carries a lot of clout. Read up on the Casper Mattress lawsuit. It makes you never trust any online mattress review

Many retailers offer Money-back satisfaction guarantee policies, but be sure to read the fine print as sometimes you're charged a pickup fee, document fee, recycling fee... etc. I want to say one of the major mattress stores offers a money-back guarantee, but slaps you with like a $150 disposal fee.

Personally, I went with Costco on my last mattress as Costco offers a no BS, 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of their products. So, if I really hated or had an issue with a mattress, I would not have to argue with a commission based salesman, store, general manager, or anybody. I ended up getting the Novaform Serafina Pearl mattress (sold online, not instores) and have been very happy with it. If I'm not mistaken, Consumer Reports rates the Pearl very highly in the memory foam mattress category. (not that CR is the end-all, be-all nowadays, but I think it means something). FWIW, my parents bought one as well, and definitely liked it.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Go to several stores and try lots of mattresses. The differences are vast. Pick one you love and crush them on price. Go for half off,especially at Mattress Firm. We bought a fabulous mattress and love it. I hate to get out of bed!

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:40 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Whips and chains are for when you do NOT want to sleep. Here is bed of nails: https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Acupre ... 9H575QZB6S

Victoria
Nothing pointy or sharp, what's the fun in that? Guess I'll just have to stick to my Serta memory foam mattress. Seriously the most comfortable object that has ever supported me, sitting, lying, standing, whatever. I dread when the time will come to replace it.

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 am
Ordered Tuft and Needle. It comes compressed in a box. We like that it sleeps cool and it's firm but not too firm. We now have three of them in the house.
I too purchased a Tuft & Needle and like it very much.

OP, if you order one of the mattresses in a box (Tuft & Needle, Leesa, Casper, Purple, etc), keep in mind you may need to sleep on it for a couple of weeks to fully acclimate to the feel. My back was sore for the first week or so of using my Tuft & Needle mattress but then I read I needed to try it a bit longer before determining if it would work for me. After two weeks I had no more back soreness. So I kept it and have liked it ever since.

Additionally, I have read it may be better to order directly from the manufacturer rather than someplace like Amazon. I believe returning a mattress is easier if done directly thru the manufacturer. You may want to verify that though, as it may no longer be the case.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 pm

I go to Walmart, find the size I want, buy it,take it home, take it out of the box, and let it self-inflate.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Smoke wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am
Select comfort. air mattress. Light weight, set firmness via remote, I have one that is 20 yrs old (Queen) feels as good as when it was new.

I have had this since 2012. It has worked very well for me.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am

I think buying on-line with the 100-day guarantee is the only way to go now. We have bought two Saatva mattresses and love them both. And for a fraction of the cost of mattress stores. I would never step foot in a mattress store again. There is no way you can decide whether a mattress is right for you by laying on it for 15 minutes. I always thought mattress stores should have sleepovers.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 am

I've heard a lot of good things about Casper mattresses.

www.casper.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:57 am

Craigslist often has ones that have only been used a few times in someone's spare bedroom. Sometimes even new. Setup an email alert.

Mattresses have little to do with sleep. An argument can be made they actually are an inhibitor of restful sleep, ie sleeping on the floor would give you better sleep after an adjustment period. I've never tried it but I met someone who did and was shocked to learn it's actually a great way to sleep.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.menshe ... ess-floor/
Last edited by Cycle on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 am

Smoke wrote:
This requires electricity. Not always available in a RV.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 am

Has anyone tried Amerisleep or Loom & Leaf?

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 am
Smoke wrote:
This requires electricity. Not always available in a RV.
True, but it only needs electricity to adjust.
That being said I have only adjusted the air pressure in mine maybe 3x per yr.