trip to Grand Cayman & dieting [while on vacation]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
camillus

trip to Grand Cayman & dieting [while on vacation]

Post by camillus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi all, I'm going to Grand Cayman in November with my wife and kids, my parents, and my siblings' families. I suppose I'm looking for recommendations of things to do there that are enjoyable for a group of adults, but also with an infant and 4 year old (my kids).

Additionally, I've been on a calorie restricted diet for the past few months - losing weight and happy with my progress. I've also completely given up alcohol. I'm going to be sitting down for many fancy meals with my family, but I don't want to look frumpy or overly scrupulous. I wonder if anyone has advice for "luxury dining on a diet" - what to eat, what to drink - so that I can enjoy myself and that my loved ones see this is so, and my dieting isn't so conspicuous. I know that on the one hand I shouldn't care, but I also don't want dieting in the presence of others eating and drinking well to deprive the joy and celebration of the vacation.

I'd appreciate anything you might have to say. Thanks very much!
Last edited by camillus on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186

Re: trip to Grand Cayman & dieting

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:47 pm

My rule is don’t worry about dieting on vacation. Otherwise you know exactly what you need to do. The keep your mouth shut diet hasn’t failed.

Point

Post by Point » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:51 pm

WRT dieting: a few tricks- order what you want and put on another plate what you’ll eat up front; stick to diet drinks and no fruit juice; get soda water with a lime twist. Set your clock and get up at the same time each morning- then hit the gym hard first thing. Make it a strong habit- first thing you done each day.

We’ve taken a boat out to see the rays and have fed them.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm

There are many great dining opportunities in Grand Cayman, and the portion sizes are not usually excessive.

If you can, make a reservation at The Brasserie. It is so much better than the name sounds. It’s a Farm to Table restaurant, out of the way, but after resisting a friend’s recommendation for a while, it became our favorite place to eat. As healthy and “real” as it gets.

Enjoy Grand Cayman.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Skipping meals is often easier than just restricting portions, I've found. So you would just order a drink for breakfast/lunch and then eat like a king for dinner.

I do this 5 days a week, been doing it for a year. The previous year was the same, but a tin of sardines and an avocado for lunch. It's very sustainable.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Like Cycle, I intermittent fast, and was doing so on my trip to GC. Coffee for breakfast, water or iced tea to drink on the beach, and then eat like there’s no tomorrow for dinner.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:18 pm
Skipping meals is often easier than just restricting portions, I've found. So you would just order a drink for breakfast/lunch and then eat like a king for dinner.

I do this 5 days a week, been doing it for a year. The previous year was the same, but a tin of sardines and an avocado for lunch. It's very sustainable.
I'm curious what happened with your weight when you ate the sardines and avocado for lunch? Why did you stop this?

JohnSmith123

Post by JohnSmith123 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm

We love grand cayman been there so many times.

That being said — eating out so so expensive you will automatically do a diet! Going to a good restaurant be prepared for at least $75-$150 per person. Alcohol is

We normally rent a condo to have more space and keep costs down. Plus we also have diet restrictions so makes it much easier!

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 pm

camillus wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Additionally, I've been on a calorie restricted diet for the past few months - losing weight and happy with my progress. I've also completely given up alcohol. I'm going to be sitting down for many fancy meals with my family, but I don't want to look frumpy or overly scrupulous. I wonder if anyone has advice for "luxury dining on a diet" - what to eat, what to drink - so that I can enjoy myself and that my loved ones see this is so, and my dieting isn't so conspicuous. I know that on the one hand I shouldn't care, but I also don't want dieting in the presence of others eating and drinking well to deprive the joy and celebration of the vacation.

Enjoy yourself, but just be very selective about the quality and quantity of you eat, eating the foods that fit within your diet. There are foods that are tasty and healthy that you can eat in almost unlimited quantities--big salads for example (if you are careful what you put on them.)

As to not ruining things for anyone else-- just don't talk about it... Do not voice any concern over dieting, or explain that you are dieting, or show any angst over the choices -- just keep that to yourself and enjoy your food.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 am

Kennedy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 pm
Cycle wrote:

I'm curious what happened with your weight when you ate the sardines and avocado for lunch? Why did you stop this?
Nothing, weight wise, I've always weighed approximately the same in adulthood.

I stopped after a little experimentation with intermittent fasting. I realized you only need to eat one meal a day, and after a couple of weeks your body has no food cravings during the day. Breakfast and lunch are optional. I eat them on the weekend for social reasons.

Your body has what it needs to go days without eating. I ran a marathon the other day fasted, no lack of energy during that.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 am

Cycle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 am

Your body has what it needs to go days without eating. I ran a marathon the other day fasted, no lack of energy during that.
Your body must work differently than mine. After running a marathon, I was told I acted like a seriously intoxicated person before I ate something. My blood sugar was through the floor.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:44 am

Consult a Registered Dietitian, not a bunch of people on the internet who are interested in personal finance and investing.

Seriously, would you consult a Registered Dietitian on how to allocate your 401k?

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 am

I have a restricted diet due to acid reflux. I suggest that you try to maintain your diet without making a big deal of it. You should be able to order things that fit your diet. Just be disciplined on the quantity of food. I found that pushing my plate aside once I had ate what I needed to worked for me. Those suggesting skipping meals and then gorging on dinner are giving bad advice.

I was in my 50s the first time I had to diet. I went to a lot of business luncheons, often with a set menu. I would eat my salad and veggies but eat very little if in any meat. I would only take a couple of bites of dessert.

It sounds like you have done a terrific job on your diet. Congratulations. I am a creature of habit. If I start eating dessert every meal or having alcoholic drinks with meals, I would be tempted to continue doing that when i return from vacation.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am

Ask if any carb heavy sides like rice or french fries can be replaced with some kind of grilled vegetables. Stick to meals that don't have creamy sauces. Since you are going to an island, sticking to high protein seafood shouldn't be difficult either. Eat eggs for breakfast instead of pastries.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:47 pm
My rule is don’t worry about dieting on vacation. Otherwise you know exactly what you need to do. The keep your mouth shut diet hasn’t failed.
I try my best to avoid too much weight gain on trips.. we cruise frequently so it's an issue. You just have to give something up IMHO. I'm not giving uthe wine (Viking knows how to do wine) so that leaves out bread and deserts except for something special, but certainly not daily. I find that protein and vegetables with vigorous activity and exercise on shore excursions mixed with red wine while skipping bread, potatoes and such as well as deserts will being me back about the same weight I left at.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 am

midareff wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am
Jags4186 wrote:
I try my best to avoid too much weight gain on trips.. we cruise frequently so it's an issue. You just have to give something up IMHO. I'm not giving uthe wine (Viking knows how to do wine) so that leaves out bread and deserts except for something special, but certainly not daily. I find that protein and vegetables with vigorous activity and exercise on shore excursions mixed with red wine while skipping bread, potatoes and such as well as deserts will being me back about the same weight I left at.
Yes, I could see if you are someone who goes on cruises every 3 months that it could be an issue. I also rarely if ever go to all inclusive so I’m still ordering all my food.

If I go on a beach trip usually first thing we do is stop by a super market and get granola bars or something for breakfast (I could care less about break buffets, etc.) then get something simple for lunch—sandwich by the pool or along those lines—then you can all out at dinner and not too much damage. If you’re not boozing then you’re already wayyyy ahead of the game.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am

Cycle wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 pm
Cycle wrote:

Nothing, weight wise, I've always weighed approximately the same in adulthood.

I stopped after a little experimentation with intermittent fasting. I realized you only need to eat one meal a day, and after a couple of weeks your body has no food cravings during the day. Breakfast and lunch are optional. I eat them on the weekend for social reasons.

Now I'm curious what happened with your weight when you stopped the sardines/avocado lunch. Did you lose weight by eating just one meal a day?

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am

I have recently discovered the secret to weight loss.... for me.

Eating slow.

So, I eat what I want, but I take a bite, put down the fork, wait a minute or two, take another bite. 20 minutes later, I feel full, and I enjoyed the taste of good food for the entire 20 minutes.

I've dieted before, but it was always painful for me. If we were grilling hamburgers at the lake, I'd eat one in 5 minutes, it would taste so good, I'd want another one, and I'd have to suffer through using will power to fight off the urge to eat another.

Now I eat one, taking 15 minutes. I can look forward to another bite throughout the entire 15 minutes, so I don't have to fight my desire for more of that good taste, because I'm going to get another bite here in a minute, AND my stomach has time to send the full signal to my brain.

Talking with a group at a restaurant, eating slow should be fairly easy, since there's plenty of to do besides eat. You may get some comments about leaving food on your plate, it's true.
The J stands for Jay

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am

daheld wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:44 am
Consult a Registered Dietitian, not a bunch of people on the internet who are interested in personal finance and investing.

Seriously, would you consult a Registered Dietitian on how to allocate your 401k?
We tell people not to consult "registered" financial advisers on this site as well :)
The J stands for Jay

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:50 am

HomerJ wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am
daheld wrote:

We tell people not to consult "registered" financial advisers on this site as well :)
There's a difference in passing a FA exam and five years of education, a year's worth of supervised practice, passing a national registration exam and continuing education while in practice, which is what it takes to be an RD. But sure, any moron knows nutrition!

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 am

daheld wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:50 am
HomerJ wrote:
daheld wrote:

There's a difference in passing a FA exam and five years of education, a year's worth of supervised practice, passing a national registration exam and continuing education while in practice, which is what it takes to be an RD. But sure, any moron knows nutrition!
Point taken. :)
The J stands for Jay

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 pm

daheld wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
daheld wrote:

Overconfident morons with charts, graphs, and technical analysis for wallpaper are always trying to make my investing, microeconomics, and financial situation infinitely more complicated than it needs to be, perhaps even dangerously so given the behavioral aspect. Couple this with the daily tsunami of posts from bloggers, academics, book authors, "experts", "well-respecteds", "good guys", and everyone else peddling marketing or ego disguised as financial information, all of whom have interests unaligned with mine, and I could drown in a sea of "advice".

I've been in control of my diet since I was 21 (with one major exception) and the one time I consulted a dietitian I left really mad due to the waste of time as I knew more than they did. In my experience people who have talked to me about "eating healthy" do not have a clue as to what that really means in totality. Healthy living is a way of life, not a passing lifestyle.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 pm
daheld wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
daheld wrote:

Overconfident morons with charts, graphs, and technical analysis for wallpaper are always trying to make my investing, microeconomics, and financial situation infinitely more complicated than it needs to be, perhaps even dangerously so given the behavioral aspect. Couple this with the daily tsunami of posts from bloggers, academics, book authors, "experts", "well-respecteds", "good guys", and everyone else peddling marketing or ego disguised as financial information, all of whom have interests unaligned with mine, and I could drown in a sea of "advice".

I've been in control of my diet since I was 21 (with one major exception) and the one time I consulted a dietitian I left really mad due to the waste of time as I knew more than they did. In my experience people who have talked to me about "eating healthy" do not have a clue as to what that really means in totality. Healthy living is a way of life, not a passing lifestyle.
I agree with your last sentence. One person does not a profession make, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. However, the vast majority of people fall prey to BS and pseudoscience they read on the internet (like trusting people who know about 401k's and tax loss harvesting to provide advice about protein, carbohydrates and fat!) and have no concept of how the body actually works or any kind of basic nutrition knowledge. Kudos to you and good luck.

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 pm

daheld wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 pm
daheld wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
daheld wrote:

I agree with your last sentence. One person does not a profession make, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. However, the vast majority of people fall prey to BS and pseudoscience they read on the internet (like trusting people who know about 401k's and tax loss harvesting to provide advice about protein, carbohydrates and fat!) and have no concept of how the body actually works or any kind of basic nutrition knowledge. Kudos to you and good luck.
Totally agree with you there. I concur that trying to get advice from others will not be tailored to your own specific physiology. My secret is that I have a certain "diet" that I have lived since I was in my twenties. It's tailored to my physiology as well as my psychology in relation to food and exercise but I doubt it would work for anyone else. I've refined it and increased it's health impact over the years, but I would certainly never look to strangers on the internet for advice to my own situation. Like our financial life, much of diet and exercise comes down to self-discipline, self-mastery, and self-control, coupled with strong motivation, thirst for knowledge, and psychological pairing. Bottom line is Big Agra has synthesized the food supply and bypassed physiological triggers related to the body's need for nutrition. It takes behavioral awareness to overcome this. Interesting how much this parallels personal investing, finance, microeconomics.

camillus

Post by camillus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:32 pm

I really appreciate this board and all the replies above. I asked this question here because of a few reasons:

1) People here are exposed to luxury vacations
2) People here are typically conscientious, self-aware, and self-disciplined - in finance but also often regarding health
3) People here tend also to be socially sophisticated, that is, classy - important to me in the context of my family vacay

I think I'm going to try to do a bit of the intermittent fasting. One obstacle I anticipate is that I'm going to be sitting down to feed my 4-year old and 1 year old breakfast and lunch. Maybe I'll have to be prepared to have some veggies on hand. I don't know if I can get through that without also munching on something.
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm
If you can, make a reservation at The Brasserie.
This sounds like my kind of place. Thanks for the rec.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 am
Cycle wrote:

Your body must work differently than mine. After running a marathon, I was told I acted like a seriously intoxicated person before I ate something. My blood sugar was through the floor.
I've been there, back when i was on the standard american diet after a 20 mile run i'd feel shaky. I'd recommend reading up on fat adaptation for endurance athletes, the "primal endurance" book and "slow jogging" book have information on this. Trail runner nation podcast is good too. Running can be dangerous, my DW saw a trail runner die last year from a heart complication. It pays to err on the side of caution. I currently avoid HIIT, based on what I've read.

It might be hard to find a local dietitian or doctor educated on these topics, but there are plenty of authors who are appropriately credentialed and will give you advice backed by tiny sample size studies :)... occasionally in humans. As you read the literature, you'll find there are experts supporing SAD and others supporting paleo, both backing their claims with data. some common sense and personal experimentation is required. don't let anyone (including a doctor) make the decision for you.

anyone else having liver and onions for dinner tonight? :sharebeer

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Cycle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm
anyone else having liver and onions for dinner tonight? :sharebeer
You're not helping your case at all. :)
The J stands for Jay

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:00 pm

The term "diet" often means a way of eating that will end if/when the person achieves some goal OR gives up.

In my opinion, they don't work long term. What I have done is change my eating to something that, more or less, I will do the rest of my life.

I would look for ways of eating fruits and vegetables and whole grains and beans - to the extent possible and practical. Skip high sugar desserts - even if FREE. It is no "bargain" to eat things that are harmful to health -- even if free to you.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm

It has probably been 20+ years since I've been to the Caymans. So take my comments with a bag of salt (not really, a small pinch should do . . .)

You should have no problems keeping to your diet. Unless it is one of the strange ones. Eat as you would at home. When we were there we ate mostly local fish and whatever vegies they could grow. Half the stuff in the grocery stores was frozen. High end restaurants had pretty much what you would get anywhere (with a local flare of course). Local places had fish and carbs. I like to consume my carbs in the form of beer, so, as always ate mostly fish and veg. Food is not cheap there, but then nothing really is. It is a small out of the way island. We rented a condo with kitchen, ate most our food there.

I don't know if things have changed, but we really liked visiting a town called Hell. Up near the turtle farm if I remember right. We had many fun nights up there. Much more fun than the touristy hotels. The blow holes on the other side of the island are worth a visit.

If you are staying on 7 mile beach, rent a car for a day or so and explore the rest of the island. Just remember, they drive on the left.

Bring, or rent, snorkeling gear. Take a resort dive class. You'll have so much fun, and good exercise. If you do eat more than you prefer, no problem, take a longer walk or swim

Going back is on our list of things to do. We might try one of the smaller islands next time.

Enjoy!

p.s. number one tip - smile and be happy - share the child care duties with parents and siblings. Did I mention smile and be happy? If you smile and be happy nobody will notice what you are, or are not, eating. They will just see you being happy ;)

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:55 pm

My best advice is to use the good weather and pleasant surroundings to up your activity level, rather than worrying too much about your food consumption.

We go on cruises fairly often, and that works for me.

For instance, we always go for a mile walk on the Promenade Deck after dinner.

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I went to Grand Cayman with family twice, once in 1996 and once in 1997. We rented beachfront condos on Seven Mile Beach and enjoyed both stays.

The diving and snorkeling is excellent in Grand Cayman. The visibility was excellent.

I highly recommend a shore dive at Eden Rock (https://www.edenrockdive.com/). It's 40-50 feet of crystal clear water with lots of sea life and coral. There is a small rock formation that creates a narrow archway over a little chamber that you can swim through. There were large Tarpon inside the chamber both times we went, and they don't really spook; you can get close enough to almost pet them.

If you don't want to dive, you can snorkel. I recommend Cemetery Reef. It's close to shore on a quiet beach: https://www.thingstodocayman.net/cemete ... norkeling/

Everyone seems to enjoy Stingray City (though it wasn't my favorite excursion): https://www.thingstodocayman.net/cemete ... norkeling/

There is a decent World Gym on the island as well.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:55 pm
My best advice is to use the good weather and pleasant surroundings to up your activity level, rather than worrying too much about your food consumption.

We go on cruises fairly often, and that works for me.

For instance, we always go for a mile walk on the Promenade Deck after dinner.
Good advice. I gain very little weight on most of our cruises, because I'm walking a ton more than usual.
The J stands for Jay

beachlover

Post by beachlover » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 pm

On Grand Cayman, do yourself (and the reef) a favor - try the lionfish.

If you've been dieting for a while, you know what's good and what to avoid. On vacation it's just a matter of balance and moderation. Try to avoid breaded fried stuff, high carb stuff, fatty sauces and, of course, watch the portions. Go big on veggies if you can, which we admittedly found somewhat challenging in restaurants on Grand Cayman. Nevertheless, see if you can swap a side salad for fries at lunch. Drink water or sparkling water with lemon. Skip part of the big roll if that's all you can get on your sandwich. You know what to do, and don't be afraid to ask to substitute healthy sides for less healthy options. Worst is they'll tell you can't do that without an upcharge.

Re: not making a big deal about it around family, just eat and order what you want. If someone asks, tell them that you've been dieting, you're feeling good and that you'd like to maintain the new lifestyle. No need to feel awkward about it, for them or for you.

When we travel anywhere for an extended period, we try to stay in self-catering accommodations (i.e. with a kitchen) in a location where we'll be happy to hang out before, between or after our daily adventures. We pick up some healthy food at the local market (a visit to which I usually find fun in any case) so that we can have some things around for lighter eating, car snacks and/or to supplement whatever leftovers we might bring back from the restaurant. We tend to eat small and easy at home for breakfast (e.g. an egg and toast, with local fruit on the side). If we'll be coming or going during the day, we may have a salad, sandwich or light snack at home during the intra-day pit stop. That can hold us til dinner, which also frees up time for doing other stuff than sitting in a restaurant for lunch. Or on days that we eat out and big for lunch we'll eat light for dinner or vice versa.When eating out, we try to eat smart and keep an eye on portions. if there's something really tempting on the menu that isn't quite with the program, we may go for it anyway, but then we lighten up a bit for the rest of the day, or next day, or whatever. My wife and I often order a interesting dinner salad for one and hot entree for the other and then share. No one seems to mind.

BTW, none of this feels like we're depriving ourselves. We'd just rather not be stuffed all the time.

Our activity level on vacation usually goes up quite bit compared with winter lifestyle at home. We like to hike, bike, swim, snorkel, or just walk around to explore new places when away. That helps, too.

Eat less, move more.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Point wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:51 pm
WRT dieting: a few tricks- order what you want and put on another plate what you’ll eat up front; stick to diet drinks and no fruit juice; get soda water with a lime twist. Set your clock and get up at the same time each morning- then hit the gym hard first thing. Make it a strong habit- first thing you done each day.

Dieting is mostly about portion control. You can eat a little of everything.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I believe occasional dieting and fasting is a waste of time. When you skip meals your body thinks it's starving and will start turning the next thing you eat to fat. You might lose weight or maintain but you lose muscle mass because you don't have the energy to work out. People at my work have weight loss contests and the winner always loses 20-30 pounds, every year. Guess what, they're all still fatter than me. While they're counting the calories and making charts I'm at the gym or walking in the woods. Mix it up, surprise your body. Different types of lifting, not just the same routine. Walking, biking, or swimming for cardio. Body weight exercises like pull-ups, pushups, squats, lunges. Eat like a prehistoric person: meat, fish, fruit, nuts, veggies. Cut out the processed foods and sugar.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 pm
Point wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Dieting is mostly about portion control. You can eat a little of everything.
You stop with your insane rhetoric about portion control and common sense lifestyle modification. This is no place for reason and evidence based practice!

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 am
midareff wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Yes, I could see if you are someone who goes on cruises every 3 months that it could be an issue. I also rarely if ever go to all inclusive so I’m still ordering all my food.

If I go on a beach trip usually first thing we do is stop by a super market and get granola bars or something for breakfast (I could care less about break buffets, etc.) then get something simple for lunch—sandwich by the pool or along those lines—then you can all out at dinner and not too much damage. If you’re not boozing then you’re already wayyyy ahead of the game.
It's tough to go for the granola when they are serving Chateaubriand at lunch. ,,, and well, there's boozing and then there's wine with lunch and/or dinner. Methinks they are different.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: trip to Grand Cayman & dieting [while on vacation]

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:18 pm

I retitled the thread for clarity.

As a reminder, discussions on the health benefits of any specific diet is off-topic (medical advice). See: Medical Issues

Generic discussions on eating techniques are fine.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm

To me, vacation is to enjoy yourself and what is probably a few days or week isn't going to make a big difference in the long run. If you're sure you want to keep up the dieting on vacation, I would just eat less. Skip appetizers. Leave stuff on your plate for the entree. Don't have dessert or just a bite. Restaurants tend to use a lot of oil/butter in everything and if you start asking how they cook everything and ask for special preparations it might kill the vacation mood. Frankly, you cannot usually really tell from a menu how healthy something is. Broiled or grilled fish could be smothered with butter or oil and not any healthier than fried fish.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:18 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm
To me, vacation is to enjoy yourself and what is probably a few days or week isn't going to make a big difference in the long run. If you're sure you want to keep up the dieting on vacation, I would just eat less. Skip appetizers. Leave stuff on your plate for the entree. Don't have dessert or just a bite. Restaurants tend to use a lot of oil/butter in everything and if you start asking how they cook everything and ask for special preparations it might kill the vacation mood. Frankly, you cannot usually really tell from a menu how healthy something is. Broiled or grilled fish could be smothered with butter or oil and not any healthier than fried fish.
Maybe try to eat things that satisfy your appetite - so you are not so hungry. I believe regular consumption of various types of beans can do that. Fruit - fresh or dried can also be vary good, in my experience.

vpm8889

Post by vpm8889 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 am

camillus wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 pm
Hi all, I'm going to Grand Cayman in November with my wife and kids, my parents, and my siblings' families. I suppose I'm looking for recommendations of things to do there that are enjoyable for a group of adults, but also with an infant and 4 year old (my kids).

You're going on vacation and have been working hard as of late to lose weight. Enjoy the vacation and try not to think too hard about what to eat and what not to eat. Don't beat yourself up if you decide one night to have a cheeseburger and 7 beers. If you're a pretty disciplined person, you shouldn't have an issue going 4 or 5 days where you intake a lot more calories/fat/carbs/sugar than normal and as soon as the vacation is over, you go back into a clean eating diet.

I'd personally either skip breakfast completely, or eat a light breakfast. I may be different than most (I haven't eaten breakfast in 9 and a half months), but that's an easy way to cut back on eating/drinking. Eating 2 solid meals a day does not put your body into starvation mode and lead you to lose muscle mass and not have any energy to workout. Also, drink lots of water, 100 plus ounces a day.