Maui - Ka'anapali Beach Hotel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dougger5

Maui - Ka'anapali Beach Hotel

Post by dougger5 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 pm

We have a trip to Maui coming up in January 2019. We're a bit tardy with lodging plans, and are finding limited/expensive choices. The Ka'anapali Beach Hotel came up on Trip Advisor at a considerable discount vs. your Hyatts, Sheratons, and Marriotts. Anyone have any feedback for this hotel?

I've read numerous Maui threads, and I know that condos are more economical...but DW wants full service. A running event in Lahaina we're participating in no doubt accounts for some of the premiums in lodging.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

anonenigma

Re: Maui - Ka'anapali Beach Hotel

Post by anonenigma » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Check Costco package deals.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:28 pm

My impression of the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel is that if I were a local I would be very upset at its existence. As a tourist I stayed in much more modest lodging, also on the west side of the island, and even I was offended by the existence of the monstrosity that is this hotel. However, by all appearances they served their customers very well -- the lawns are well-manicured and they have beach-side service (assuming you care about those things). The customers seemed very happy. To each their own.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 pm

A few years ago, we stayed at the Westin Maui just down the beach. Walked by the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel every morning on my daily walk. It looked fine, but perhaps a little more spartan than the Westin and the others.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm

AstroJohn wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 pm
A few years ago, we stayed at the Westin Maui just down the beach. Walked by the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel every morning on my daily walk. It looked fine, but perhaps a little more spartan than the Westin and the others.
+1 for the Westin Maui

Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Hyatt Regency many years ago. Still remember walking into the open-air lobby exhausted, with Hawaiian music playing. Woke right up; haven’t checked if is still a Hyatt.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 pm

We've stayed at several Ka'anapali resorts including the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.

Compared to the others it's a very low key property, older, family oriented, friendly, very old school Hawaiian with a lot of Aloha spirit. It's a comfy rather than glitzy. The restaurants are OK but not super great. It's an easy walk to everything on the Ka'anapali strip though so no problems with that.

I'd recommend it as long as you aren't expecting a Ritz or Four Seasons experience. More like a Best Western with hula lessons and lei making classes.

Topic Author
dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm

MP123 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 pm
We've stayed at several Ka'anapali resorts including the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.

Compared to the others it's a very low key property, older, family oriented, friendly, very old school Hawaiian with a lot of Aloha spirit. It's a comfy rather than glitzy. The restaurants are OK but not super great. It's an easy walk to everything on the Ka'anapali strip though so no problems with that.

I'd recommend it as long as you aren't expecting a Ritz or Four Seasons experience. More like a Best Western with hula lessons and lei making classes.
Thanks - no, we're not expecting Ritz or Four Seasons. Rather, I'm expecting to stay out of debt on account of the trip, but still meet DW's criteria for a full service hotel.

We're doing the 50-states running thing, along with another couple. As such we're kind of accustomed to a wide range of mediocre lodgings. So if it is indeed more akin to a Best Western - that's fine. And besides, it's still Maui! :D

We had planned on this being a bit later, allowing for a few extra months of saving. But the other couple got some insane flight deal notification for the earlier time frame, and here we are.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 am

We stayed there a few times years and years ago. Last time we could clearly hear the couple in the next room going at it. We haven't stayed there since.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 am

dougger5 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 pm
We have a trip to Maui coming up in January 2019. We're a bit tardy with lodging plans, and are finding limited/expensive choices. The Ka'anapali Beach Hotel came up on Trip Advisor at a considerable discount vs. your Hyatts, Sheratons, and Marriotts. Anyone have any feedback for this hotel?

I've read numerous Maui threads, and I know that condos are more economical...but DW wants full service. A running event in Lahaina we're participating in no doubt accounts for some of the premiums in lodging.
Just got back. Stayed in an AirBNB condo right on the beach, palm trees, had a kitchen. It was awesome. Booked it two weeks before the trip. Half the price of the hotels. Beats me why anyone goes to them. What service is it that your wife wants?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am

We stayed there 11 months ago. We chose it because it was the cheapest last minute option I could find in that area. The hotel is/was being renovated. Our wing had not been renovated yet and as such, the rooms were pretty old and dated. Room was clean and staff seemed ok. I didn't ever eat there and pretty much just used the room to sleep so it was fine for us, but pretty basic, certainly nothing fancy. It's a great location, but the Westin it is not.

Topic Author
dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 am
dougger5 wrote:

Just got back. Stayed in an AirBNB condo right on the beach, palm trees, had a kitchen. It was awesome. Booked it two weeks before the trip. Half the price of the hotels. Beats me why anyone goes to them. What service is it that your wife wants?
I'm with you, but simply put: She seeks to drive the level of routine housework to as close to zero as possible.

Although, I know we'll be doing laundry at some point, as we're not bringing 7 days worth of clothing.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm

dougger5 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 am
dougger5 wrote:

I'm with you, but simply put: She seeks to drive the level of routine housework to as close to zero as possible.

Although, I know we'll be doing laundry at some point, as we're not bringing 7 days worth of clothing.
We had a washer/dryer in the condo we used twice during the week. We had to put the dishes in the dishwasher and turned it on at the end of the week. We took the trash out the day we left. And I guess we had to make the bed (although we probably didn't). Pretty low bar to save $250 a night I thought.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Topic Author
dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm
dougger5 wrote:
dougger5 wrote:

We had a washer/dryer in the condo we used twice during the week. We had to put the dishes in the dishwasher and turned it on at the end of the week. We took the trash out the day we left. And I guess we had to make the bed (although we probably didn't). Pretty low bar to save $250 a night I thought.
Our room charge is ~$285/night, all-in. As to how much value that represents...I'll let you know in January :beer

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 pm

dougger5 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm
dougger5 wrote:
dougger5 wrote:

Our room charge is ~$285/night, all-in. As to how much value that represents...I'll let you know in January :beer
That's pretty good. I think we paid $250/night. My wife said that was half what the hotels were wanting.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 pm

We went to Maui in July. Stayed at the grand Wailela for 3 nights and then an Airbnb condo for 5 nights,

I used points for the hotel stay. The water park was nice, but the hotel was just OK.

We loved the Airbnb. I think we paid $150/night.

Would do it again. Close to food, grocery store, beach. Had laundry and nice kitchen. Was perfect.