Should we move to San Diego from east coast?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gunn_show

Re: Should we move to San Diego from east coast?

Post by gunn_show » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am
But for example how much would a place like this cost in San Diego - https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 56?view=qv Probably a 300-400% difference?
300-400% difference? where are you people from, fairy magic land?? no offense but it is clear many respondents, in a thread specifically about living in San Diego, have not ever lived here or perhaps even visited and looked at real estate. in my best keyshawn johnson voice: come on, man!!

Sure if you bought that exact house on the boardwalk in pacific beach or mission beach or La Jolla, where you could spit your silver oak cabernet wine onto the sand, yes, that would be a few million bucks. Any house would be. But you are talking top 5% real estate property in the US of A in that category. Not related to the OP.

that Philly link house inland a bit would be around $1.1-1.5M because it looks very finished HGTV style quality.

I recently bought a nice house in nice bay view walkable neighborhood, 4 bed 4 bath w/ pool slightly smaller 2150 sqft for 1.1m
My previous house 2 blocks away, they built 2 brand new ground-up custom homes 3 years ago next door, bigger than the house in the link you posted -3300 sqft, 4b/4b, roof top deck view of all of the bay, elevator, gated back alley garage entrance, and they sold for slightly under $1.5m

Do some home work folks... a standard 3 bed remodeled 2900 sqft home is not $4million all over San Diego.. y'all are nuts
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:29 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 am
ThankYouJack wrote:
But for example how much would a place like this cost in San Diego - https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 56?view=qv Probably a 300-400% difference?
300-400% difference? where are you people from, fairy magic land?? no offense but it is clear many respondents, in a thread specifically about living in San Diego, have not ever lived here or perhaps even visited and looked at real estate. in my best keyshawn johnson voice: come on, man!!

Sure if you bought that exact house on the boardwalk in pacific beach or mission beach or La Jolla, where you could spit your silver oak cabernet wine onto the sand, yes, that would be a few million bucks. Any house would be. But you are talking top 5% real estate property in the US of A in that category. Not related to the OP.

that Philly link house inland a bit would be around $1.1-1.5M because it looks very finished HGTV style quality.

I recently bought a nice house in nice bay view walkable neighborhood, 4 bed 4 bath w/ pool slightly smaller 2150 sqft for 1.1m
My previous house 2 blocks away, they built 2 brand new ground-up custom homes 3 years ago next door, bigger than the house in the link you posted -3300 sqft, 4b/4b, roof top deck view of all of the bay, elevator, gated back alley garage entrance, and they sold for slightly under $1.5m

Do some home work folks... a standard 3 bed remodeled 2900 sqft home is not $4million all over San Diego.. y'all are nuts
Ok, 300-400% was off for all of SD county but that’s why I put the question mark was asking for links to properties that are currently for sale. When I did my Zillow search I was looking just at La Jolla. If I moved there I would want to live in a great location. I lived in Santa Barbara (just across the beach) and was in SD 3 years ago looking at real estate but just the coastal neighborhoods.
Seems like prices have gone up since.

I do still think the OP should move or better, first visit for a while if SD and Philly are the only options.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:45 pm

shell921 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:04 am
I live about 22 miles north of downtown San Diego. There most certainly are wildfires in my area. In fact in October 2007 my house burned down along with 362 others in my planned community area. It was called the "Witch Creek Fire". I think in all, 1400 homes were totally lost in the Witch Creek Fire of 2007. Can it happen again? Yes it can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceeA6X0M3r4

In 2003 many homes burned in the Scripps Ranch - an area about 9 miles south of where I live. Right now we are having a Santa Ana condition with high temps and winds predicted for tomorrow and Saturday. This so called "mild" Santa Ana condition has been going on since Monday. The news
says we are in an "extreme fire danger".

I did have good homeowner's insurance and rebuilt in same location but was dropped by AAA because where my home is is considered a "wildfire area".
Even in the higher risk areas, the chances of one's home being burned down over a 20 or 30 year time period can't be more than a couple percent, right? And as you pointed out, that's what insurance is for.

To me it is crazy to make a home purchase decision based on this unlikely and insurable risk.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 pm

One option that may be worth considering is moving further inland to a lower cost area. There are some pretty nice suburbs where you get alot more bang for buck on your home and avoid much of the big city congestion during the work/school week if you can get a good job within the same vicinity.
I live in a pretty nice gated community in inland SoCal with 24/7 security patrol, a 9/10 rated elementary and middle school for my kids, and no kind of sketchy areas nearby. This suits me well as I have no time to do anything that a big city offers Monday thru Friday. For the weekends Im in easy driving distance to all of what San Diego, LA, and the OC has to offer.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:49 pm

The OP has not posted since the original post, so maybe has decided to move to Florida,who knows?

Even so, this has been an interesting thread, for my part it made me think about whether I would ever consider relocating to San Diego. Knowing SoCal very well, from Santa Barbara to S.D., but currently living in the NW, I think the affordability issue relates to living within ten miles of the coast. And from that perspective, it is affordable, but you just have to accept perhaps a small condo or a three bedroom 1800 sq ft house instead of what might be a larger home elsewhere. It is all about the location.

San Diego is a great location, and I could accept a move there to a downsized home, but it would have to still be in a good neighborhood, and the real estate investment would hold its value. Thinking about areas such as Carlsbad, or closer in as mentioned perhaps a condo in University City.

But with air travel today, I probably will stay in the NW, take sun breaks to different places, such as SD, Newport,Hawaii, and still enjoy the NW summertime, trips to Canada nearby, etc..Still, maybe I will, on a rainy day here, think about that surf on the beaches of San Diego.

OP, if you are still in Philly, yes, make the decision, you are young, go for San Diego!!

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:36 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:29 pm
Ok, 300-400% was off for all of SD county but that’s why I put the question mark was asking for links to properties that are currently for sale.
Fair enough, I appreciate you admitting fault. SD is expensive, but it is not wharf-front SF or central park Manhattan expensive. It takes all of 5-10 minutes to do your own search on Zillow or Realtor.com to find tens of 1000s of listings in SD. They are not all $3M and I would gather <5% are even over $1M. San Diego is a tremendously large area and most properties do not have beach or bay views.

ThankYouJack wrote:
When I did my Zillow search I was looking just at La Jolla.
I do not recommend selecting 1 of the top 5 most expensive zip codes in the USA as your basis for comparison. Pretty bad idea that gives many a false outlook on reality. Most of the (former San Diego) Chargers don't even live in LJ, they live in Poway or 4S ranch or larger properties inland.
ThankYouJack wrote:
Seems like prices have gone up since.

I do still think the OP should move or better, first visit for a while if SD and Philly are the only options.
God only created so many beaches and "America's Finest Cities" and SD is at the top of that list, so yeah, prices go up every year. Similar argument that internet people like to crow about SF bay area and waiting for RE to collapse... there may be year/years of slower pace or even slight dip, but overall places like SD or SF will never go backwards. Ever. I have lived in SD my whole life. The demand to live here has never been higher. Even the HVAC contractor that came out last week to bid my AC system just moved here from Cleveland. It never ends. It's going to be 80 degrees today.

Agree, I said it earlier in my first post, OP should either make several trips out, or make a long trip and stay in 3-5 areas of town to get a feel for where the best fit for his family would be. Then rent year 1. Or rent for several years in several parts of town and save more and buy when ready. Some folks end up leaving. It's paradise but not for everyone...
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am

gunn_show wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:36 am
places like SD or SF will never go backwards. Ever.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:32 am

I am inland several miles and 22 miles north of San Diego. It will be 90 degrees in my area today
and extreme fire danger.

Here is a spec house just completed in my neighborhood:

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/ ... azon-place

This house is not my cup of tea at all- I think it's a poor layout
BUT I hope they get the asking price as it will bring up the comps.

I grew up in La Jolla and loved it. Even if I could afford to live there now,
I would not. It is so overcrowded. Traffic in and out of LJ in summer is
dreadful.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:41 pm

gunn_show wrote:
God only created so many beaches and "America's Finest Cities" and SD is at the top of that list, so yeah, prices go up every year. Similar argument that internet people like to crow about SF bay area and waiting for RE to collapse... there may be year/years of slower pace or even slight dip, but overall places like SD or SF will never go backwards. Ever.
Manhattan has been expensive for how many decades now?

Paris and London have been expensive for how many centuries?

Expensive cities tend to stay expensive...
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 pm

gunn_show wrote:

Even the HVAC contractor that came out last week to bid my AC system just moved here from Cleveland.
It would have been more impressive if he moved from Hawaii than Cleveland. In my Keyshawn Johnson voice "Come on Man!" :wink: No offensive to people from Cleveland, I know a lot of great people from there.

I've lived in California, the Northeast, Southeast and Hawaii. I love warm weather myself, but also enjoy some seasonal change - Hawaii was almost too consistent day in and day out for my taste. Lots of great beaches and places to live and cities where population growth is rapidly increasing but yeah, SD is definitely up there

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 am
ThankYouJack wrote:

I've had my eye on SD for the last two years and wanted to start the process last year, life happened, so now I hope for next spring. I've been watching the RE markets and reading a lot on city-data.com. I have a few neighborhoods in mind and will start with a month to check things out and hopefully rent something, followed by move stuff then sell current house and maybe buy there. I agree with pretty much everything you've said in your posts.

Yes it's expensive, I lived in the Bay Area for a decade and moved for family reasons to a mcol town which is extremely popular for people fleeing CA right now. There is a reason coastal CA costs more and a reason the reasonably mcol town is cheaper. I and some of the other transplants who can do so are returning. It looks like quite a bit available for $1-$1.5m the market was much tighter a year ago but seems like more inventory in the last 3mo or so.

For some folks the fancier house, more land, and other things are more important. For me quality of life outside of the house is more important. Glad both options are available.
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

John88

Post by John88 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:44 pm

For me quality of life outside of the house is more important. Glad both options are available.
I can relate to this, we are in nor Cal and enjoy the outdoors especially the close by hiking trails btw it is supposed to be mid 80s this weekend and mid 70s next week. Time to break out the winter gear.

tin369

Post by tin369 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I think we have to adjust our mindset first of going for a smaller house and paying a lot more for it but that’s what costs to get year round good weather and living in California. What areas are where the jobs are and what neighborhoods have the walking and biking trails to go to the park or to the stores/ cafes etc.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:27 pm

tin369 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:18 pm
I think we have to adjust our mindset first of going for a smaller house and paying a lot more for it but that’s what costs to get year round good weather and living in California. What areas are where the jobs are and what neighborhoods have the walking and biking trails to go to the park or to the stores/ cafes etc.
Do you have kids or host a lot? If not, it may be an easier transition than you anticipate. When we moved to California's coast we went from a 2,600 sqft house to 700 sqft apartment and couldn't have been happier with the small place. But that was pre-kids and before we hosted a lot of get togethers, dinners, parties, out of town guests. So having a bigger place now adds more to our quality of life at this stage.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:40 pm

perfect weather for me is 4 distinct seasons..but to each their own

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm

shell921 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:32 am
I am inland several miles and 22 miles north of San Diego. It will be 90 degrees in my area today
and extreme fire danger.

dreadful.
Hmmm, interesting you picked THAT specific lot/house for this discussion where people are worried about fires! If I'm not mistaken the house that was originally on that lot burned down in the 2007 fire and a new house just got rebuilt to replace it?

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Kompass wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm
It looks like quite a bit available for $1-$1.5m the market was much tighter a year ago but seems like more inventory in the last 3mo or so.

For some folks the fancier house, more land, and other things are more important. For me quality of life outside of the house is more important. Glad both options are available.
I live in one of the neighborhoods that's been listed several times on this thread as walkable. Houses are often listed with value range pricing and there are usually multiple offers and very fast sales if the seller isn't living in a fantasy world about property value. What I've seen is that inventory is lower than its been since 2008-2010 and the houses are closing at the low to mid range of the value pricing zone this year. I think some sellers see that and decide to hold off listing the house and wait. Possible that when some potential buyers actually do their taxes this year they will see the impact of limiting federal SALT deductions is less than expected.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:45 pm
shell921 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:04 am
I live about 22 miles north of downtown San Diego. There most certainly are wildfires in my area. In fact in October 2007 my house burned down along with 362 others in my planned community area. It was called the "Witch Creek Fire". I think in all, 1400 homes were totally lost in the Witch Creek Fire of 2007. Can it happen again? Yes it can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceeA6X0M3r4

In 2003 many homes burned in the Scripps Ranch - an area about 9 miles south of where I live. Right now we are having a Santa Ana condition with high temps and winds predicted for tomorrow and Saturday. This so called "mild" Santa Ana condition has been going on since Monday. The news
says we are in an "extreme fire danger".

I did have good homeowner's insurance and rebuilt in same location but was dropped by AAA because where my home is is considered a "wildfire area".
Even in the higher risk areas, the chances of one's home being burned down over a 20 or 30 year time period can't be more than a couple percent, right? And as you pointed out, that's what insurance is for.

To me it is crazy to make a home purchase decision based on this unlikely and insurable risk.
Insurance doesn't replace mementos with sentimental value. Even worse if you have a valued pet that is lost due to fire (say a semi-outdoors cat that happens to be outside when a fire comes through).

I try to look into things such as Fire risk, Flood risk, nearby coal/oil/gas/mineral mining or extraction (or abandoned mines/wells), etc.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 am

ThatGuy wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:41 pm
gunn_show wrote:
God only created so many beaches and "America's Finest Cities" and SD is at the top of that list, so yeah, prices go up every year. Similar argument that internet people like to crow about SF bay area and waiting for RE to collapse... there may be year/years of slower pace or even slight dip, but overall places like SD or SF will never go backwards. Ever.
Manhattan has been expensive for how many decades now?

Paris and London have been expensive for how many centuries?

Expensive cities tend to stay expensive...
London in the 90s and earlier was very reasonable. In 2008-09 you could buy a flat in Mayfair for under 500k for a 2 bedroom. London has only really gotten out of control over the past 8 years with housing cost doubling every few years. I follow the London real estate market pretty closely.

My wife and I went to an open house for a townhouse condo on Coronado in 1989 soon after our wedding (my wife is a San Diego native). It was adjacent to the hotel Del, 1400 sf with 3 bedrooms for 250k. 250k in 1989 was a lot but not a crazy amount. My FILs house in Imerial beach at the time was worth about 120k. The townhouse in Coronado was on the market last year while we were in S.D. and was asking 1.4m. So my point is that the current market hasn’t always been like it is now in either London or San Diego. If you think I’m out of line with 250k in 1989 being a little high and that it’s essentially the same today when you factor in inflation, it’s not. I bought a house in Fayetteville NC in 1991 as a young Army officer and paid 120k for a starter home.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:37 am

stan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 am
HueyLD wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 pm
To summarize this entire thread:

Pros: The weather
Cons: Just about everything else

:wink:
Based on your response, I guess you don't know San Diego.

In my experience, SD area has the nicest people for a big city, much nicer than a lot of places of all sizes.
Right, I think he/she got confused with the parallel Los Angeles thread.
I lived in San Diego for graduate school - near the ocean (graduate housing). UCSD is a great place for graduate school, but aside from good weather (on the coast) and beaches, San Diego doesn't have much to offer, in my opinion (surfers would disagree). There are far too many other negatives associated with living in San Diego, as mentioned in this thread. Traffic, fire, inland temperatures, plus way too expensive housing all made leaving SD a no-brainer for me. I'm not saying there aren't some nice places, but it wasn't enough for me, and getting to them always meant fighting heavy traffic. The horrors of uncontrolled fire really left an impression on me.

The coast is nice year-round (80s in summer, 70s winter), but temperatures go up another 5-10 degrees even just 1 mile inland, and ten miles inland, it's very hot in the summer. As others have mentioned, fires are a real concern, and few can afford a house within a mile of the coast, where fire risk is the lowest, but still present - especially along canyons (keep in mind that all of San Diego is a desert - it may be irrigated along the coast, but it's still a desert). Fire risk all depends on the winds. The coast can burn in the right wind situation. Very expensive, new developments not far inland have burned. (Until the mid 2000s, the county didn't even have appropriate building codes for fire-prone areas). The risk goes far beyond the house burning. You or members of your family, or your pets, or friends could end up in life-threatening fire situations. This isn't hypothetical in inland areas. It's a real risk. I've lived in areas with tornadoes and don't find them anywhere near as threatening as fire (a tornado affects a fairly limited area and you go to your basement - but I wouldn't buy a mobile home in a tornado area - or at all). Earthquakes don't worry me at all - but have your earthquake supplies ready.

Houses not too far inland (5-10 miles) are far too expensive for what you get, and you're fighting non-stop traffic to get to the coast and beaches (unless it's between 11 pm and 5 am). Homeowners insurance is expensive due to fire risk. I personally thought the housing stock in San Diego - even near the coast - was poor quality. People put on a lot of expensive cosmetic finishes, but the underlying structure is garbage, compared to many areas of the mid-west to east coast. And you have termites to worry about.

In the summer in particular, being in San Diego is like being on an island. To the east is desert, and it's too hot (and dangerous) to do anything in the desert in the summer. To the south is Tijuana: border crossings, and Mexican drug wars. Traffic in LA (and even from San Clemente to Orange County) is almost always a nightmare, so unless you're traveling at 3 am, you're sitting in heavy traffic to get to anywhere north of San Diego. When you go through Camp Pendleton on 5 (or equivalent area on 15), the internal border patrol can make bad traffic intolerable at time.

People who bought houses years ago will pay far less in taxes than you will buying now - all due to proposition 13. They also paid less for their houses (unless they bought right before the crash).

tin369

Post by tin369 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 am

This question is more for families with kids and what Ian your typical weekend look like. One of the things as I mentioned earlier for us thinking to move to SD is that the weather here in philly or the northeast is starting to get grey and cold and you can’t go out and do things with kids, and there isn’t any outdoor activity to begin with year round in the area that we live in. The beaches are 1.5-2 hours away and super crowded and water is brown.

There are mountains within 2 hours for skiing etc. but I like warm weather not hot but warm, so that during winter it doesn’t look so depressing.

So wondering if you guys could give me an idea of a typical weekend, in SD specially for families. The zoo and the LEGO land and sea world will become old very soon. So what else to do with kids, how do you enjoy the weather with kids.

From this discussion I also have come to see that there is not many things close by to do, except beach. I mean if you want to go to Vegas it’s 5 hrs drive, snow mountain etc is also far, driving as you all have said north of SD is bad.

As most of you have suggested, we will have to make Multiple trips and see the areas we like, rent for a while and then decide. I thought this would be an easy decision but you guys have pointed too many negative.

I want to hear something positive besides weather, which I think is a big factor for us specially if we can live near the coast. Other wise living in mainland with hot temperatures, wild fires, traffic is not appealing to me.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 am

For the most part kids who live in San Diego go to playgrounds, play soccer or another sport, go on a hike with a scouting troop, do school projects, go to their friends house and play in the pool, and similar. Few families go to the beach every weekend. So I'd say activities are the same as everywhere else but you get to do it in a nice climate and you don't have to worry too much about weather cancellations and bundling up. You can get an annual pass to zoo or Legoland and some families do get one but it does get old and the kids go back to wanting to do things with their friends. Kids can play in the backyard year round so you don't need a basement or rec room to keep kids occupied.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:04 am

tin369 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 am
I want to hear something positive besides weather, which I think is a big factor for us specially if we can live near the coast. Other wise living in mainland with hot temperatures, wild fires, traffic is not appealing to me.
Aside from weather and being near the ocean there aren’t really any positives of SoCal. Many places offer more for less.

Aside from your typical family activities (playground, picnic, sports) people in SoCal spent a lot of time fighting traffic, shopping, surfing, or hiking.

The hiking gets boring here though, the scenery is always the same. Much more variety of plants and wildlife hiking back on the east coast.

I thought driving through NJ was bad with all the strip malls, but you drive through SoCal and it’s store after store of the same designer crap.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 am

stan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm
shell921 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:32 am
and extreme fire danger.

dreadful.
Hmmm, interesting you picked THAT specific lot/house for this discussion where people are worried about fires! If I'm not mistaken the house that was originally on that lot burned down in the 2007 fire and a new house just got rebuilt to replace it?
Yes- correct the house that WAS on that lot burned in 2007. The owners did not want to rebuild there right away but kept the lot and bought a place in Del Mar. They finally sold the lot 3 years ago and a development company bought it. The construction took 2 years! I posted that specific house precisely to show that even in wildfire areas expensive homes are for sale! I would not buy that house - it's "pole house" and has houses on either side very close. No privacy.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am

I think the beach / ocean would be the main reason I would move.

So, another question I have for the locals is how often do you get to the beach (and how far from it do you live)?
Does high tide go up to the cliffs for a lot of the beaches?
How many months can you swim comfortably in the ocean without a wetsuit?

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am

So, another question I have for the locals is how often do you get to the beach (and how far from it do you live)?
I don't get to the beach very often, but today is my third day in a row out on boats and still might go to my own boat tomorrow. We lived about 10 miles from Imperial Beach when we lived on our boat, less than 5 miles to the gliderport/ Black's Beach from our condo.

Some tides come to the cliffs on some beaches, but there are plenty of wide beaches as well. It is usually pretty clear where you should not cross without an understanding of the tides.

For swimming, it depends on you and your activity. I have a friend who is an ocean swimmer who only skips a couple of months in the dead of "winter." A lot of surfers always wear wetsuits.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am

sailaway wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am
ThankYouJack wrote:

I don't get to the beach very often, but today is my third day in a row out on boats and still might go to my own boat tomorrow. We lived about 10 miles from Imperial Beach when we lived on our boat, less than 5 miles to the gliderport/ Black's Beach from our condo.

Some tides come to the cliffs on some beaches, but there are plenty of wide beaches as well. It is usually pretty clear where you should not cross without an understanding of the tides.

For swimming, it depends on you and your activity. I have a friend who is an ocean swimmer who only skips a couple of months in the dead of "winter." A lot of surfers always wear wetsuits.
Thanks for the feedback. Where do you usually sail? When I lived in Santa Barbara I loved going to the Channel Islands. But I also love boating on the East Coast, especially the intracoastal and exploring uninhabited islands and different towns.

I know surfing is huge there, but what about wind surfing or other water sports? When I was there last I remember seeing about a million surfers but I don't remember seeing people do other sports - maybe conditions just weren't ideal.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am
sailaway wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am
ThankYouJack wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Where do you usually sail? When I lived in Santa Barbara I loved going to the Channel Islands. But I also love boating on the East Coast, especially the intracoastal and exploring uninhabited islands and different towns.

I know surfing is huge there, but what about wind surfing or other water sports? When I was there last I remember seeing about a million surfers but I don't remember seeing people do other sports - maybe conditions just weren't ideal.
There is tons of dinghy sailing, some wind boarding, slightly more kite boarding.

We day sail the bay or just beyond Point Loma, but have been as far as Ventura. We had an issue with the boat that kept us in Ventura harbor, rather than cruising the Channel Islands, but will do those before we leave California.

Surfing and the other sports just don't happen in the same places at the same time. Surfers hate wind, sailors require it. Even for boats, I have gotten on a motor boat at 7am and done our thing, get back to the marina and be on a sailboat by noon for racing in the afternoon Sea breeze. There also dead days, especially in the spring and fall. My mother wants to soar from the gliderport, but the winds have never been strong enough while she is in town. And I put more hours on my engine in a recent one week trip than in the entire last year, including a three week trip.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Kompass wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm

I've had my eye on SD for the last two years and wanted to start the process last year, life happened, so now I hope for next spring. I've been watching the RE markets and reading a lot on city-data.com. I have a few neighborhoods in mind and will start with a month to check things out and hopefully rent something, followed by move stuff then sell current house and maybe buy there. I agree with pretty much everything you've said in your posts.

Yes it's expensive, I lived in the Bay Area for a decade and moved for family reasons to a mcol town which is extremely popular for people fleeing CA right now. There is a reason coastal CA costs more and a reason the reasonably mcol town is cheaper. I and some of the other transplants who can do so are returning. It looks like quite a bit available for $1-$1.5m the market was much tighter a year ago but seems like more inventory in the last 3mo or so.

It's tough to do over an internet forum, but I'm still trying to get a feel for quality of life outside the house in SD. What would you (and anyone else) be the top things on your list?

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes.
You can watch the Red Sox win the World Series, and go to bed at 9pm.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 pm

tin369 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 am
This question is more for families with kids and what Ian your typical weekend look like. One of the things as I mentioned earlier for us thinking to move to SD is that the weather here in philly or the northeast is starting to get grey and cold and you can’t go out and do things with kids, and there isn’t any outdoor activity to begin with year round in the area that we live in. The beaches are 1.5-2 hours away and super crowded and water is brown.

There are mountains within 2 hours for skiing etc. but I like warm weather not hot but warm, so that during winter it doesn’t look so depressing.

So wondering if you guys could give me an idea of a typical weekend, in SD specially for families. The zoo and the LEGO land and sea world will become old very soon. So what else to do with kids, how do you enjoy the weather with kids.

From this discussion I also have come to see that there is not many things close by to do, except beach. I mean if you want to go to Vegas it’s 5 hrs drive, snow mountain etc is also far, driving as you all have said north of SD is bad.

As most of you have suggested, we will have to make Multiple trips and see the areas we like, rent for a while and then decide. I thought this would be an easy decision but you guys have pointed too many negative.

From this post, not really clear on your goals. Really,you can't go out and do things with kids where you live in winter? I grew up in the rainy NW and was out all winter on my bike, playing soccer, in the snow when there was snow. We were outside every day. In the cold areas like Minnesota, kids are out on frozen outdoor rinks becoming future NHL hockey players, or inside shooting hoops. In California, most kids are not surfing, they are probably playing soccer, riding their bikes,doing other sports, etc..

Part of the California lifestyle is what economists call "psychic income". You might live a mile from the beach and only go there once a month, but the psychic income is the income tradeoff ( or house size tradeoff) for knowing that you could go to the beach every day if you want.

I think the issue of fires is a serious one. Many fires in recent years have occurred under suspicious circumstances, from a homeless campfire spark to deliberate arson, and the consequences to beautiful areas such as Rancho Bernardo can be disastrous. If people did not build in those high risk areas, that would exclude much of SD county. A desert climate is by definition high risk for fires,and those chaparral covered hillsides have always burned periodically as part of the natural cycle.Yet people still rebuild because the areas are beautiful.I remember arriving in Orange County in October,1980, and the hills above Brea were all on fire, they were spraying with hoses from the Orange freeway. Yet the area still exists and thrives today.

I think mostly, whether you live in Phllly, Seattle or SD, typical weeks involve going to work, kids going to school, weekend sports, no matter what the climate. Here in the NW you can sail the San Juan Islands from March to December with good weather. There is no surf because these are inland waterways, so boating is easier but obviously no surfing and no beautiful surf beaches like SD.

If you are looking at California, perhaps you should look not only at SD, but up the coast as I mentioned, at Ventura, Thousand Oaks, San Luis Obispo.These are all areas with nice climates, and some are not as geographically trapped as SD.

As far as taxes, as another poster mentioned, Proposition 13 back in the 80's pretty well froze property taxes,allowing people to continue living in their homes as values rose, without being taxed out. The flip side of that is that it gives those people a windfall wealth accumulation, since when they sell and reap a huge profit, they don't have to then repay what would have been higher property taxes.

Instead, the increasing expense for schools, police and fire, etc., are paid by you, when you arrive and get to not only pay the seller a high profit on a home, but now the property tax for you is stepped way up, since your purchase basis is the new house value. Prop 13 is also why schools in California are pretty dumpy, the lower tax base barely covers teachers' salaries, you will see many schools that look like old portable classrooms, painted outside in dirty pink.

For people with no family, moving to SD can mean downsizing to a small condo by the beach and a lifestyle that may not work at all for a family needing more room. I don't think there is any evidence that kids in California really have more activities than kids in Philly or Minneapolis, perhaps the contrary.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 pm
tin369 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm
We are in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and annual combined income of 195k.

Our family lives in La Jolla and we surely would be looking at towards north country, SD. La Jolla is too expensive, we are seriously thinking about it but the plan is to move in a year or so if we do. Trying to see if we can keep our jobs remote. If not then that will be the biggest factor deciding.

We want to also our lives now not just in retirement and also kids will get to do a lot more activity. But just trying to rationalize it. I don’t want to small 1500 sq feet get a million dollar home.

Not sure what areas would be a good to raise a family that’s is close to beach. We don’t want to go too much inland and feel like we are living in a desert.

Any recommendation for areas where the weather is the same nice constant 70s and we can get a bigger house with good school district and 20-30min to the beach.
I don't think your annual income of 195K (remember that is pre-tax) is sufficient to give you a decent lifestyle in San Diego.My income is $250k and I don't think I can afford it. Are you willing to live in a neighborhood that you would not consider in your current location? Weather is great there, but an old ranch house in a marginal neighborhood, costing $800k or more, may not be so great.

If you can't afford private school for your kids, public schools may not be like back home.

If I were to move to San Diego, I would go to the North County (Carlsbad area), and settle for a nice condo, not a house. That condo would still cost about $800k at least, but at least it would be in a nice area. You would not want to do a large commute for sure.

Another post notes that SD is really not near anything else. To the East is the desert, south is the border, and to get beyond SoCal sprawl you have to drive several hours to get north of L.A.. Look at what you have now first, don't dismiss Fall colors, the proximity to country roads, there are a lot of things that are not in SoCal. . Yes, the weather may make up for all that. Just know what you are giving up and make sure the trade is a positive.

Bottom line, unless you can go out to SD and get an income 30-50% higher than what you have now, you are going to make major lifestyle sacrifices to get those beaches and that weather.

I think if I were a young family determined to move to SoCal, I would look at Thousand Oaks north of L.A., or Ventura County.
Your money will not go as far in San Diego as in suburban Philly (especially in regards to housing), but I think it's a bit silly to suggest that $195K income cannot buy you a decent lifestyle in San Diego. I have relatives in San Diego who have a very good lifestyle earning less.
I agree.

I was living on $75k when I lived in San Diego, 11 years ago. I was putting my ex through college and supporting her 100% so money was very tight. (My income was only $55k, but I managed to supplement my income through real estate speculation).

I lived in a very nice condo in a safe neighborhood.

Every Sunday, we would drive through Torrey pines/la Jolla down to PB and then take a long walk on the beach.

If she had been working, we would have been very comfortable.

If you can't live well on $200k, then you must have either really high student loans, mortgage payments, or expensive tastes. Or maybe just bad at math 😉

I live extremely well in Los Angeles now. We probably spend $150k/year, of which $75k is just housing costs.

We do not need to spend $6300/mo on a 3,300 sq ft house, but we can afford it. I personally think it's a waste, but it makes my wife happy. And she works much harder than me so I'm happy to go along with it.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 pm

After reading this whole thread, which is time I will never get back...

What do you do with the kids on the weekends? Pretty much the same thing you do in Philadelphia, except with better weather. Kids are on sports teams, they go to the pool (most pools are open year round), there are parks and beaches, libraries, school activities. I guess I don’t get the question. Most kids are already pretty over scheduled. The main lifestyle difference I see between San Diego and most anyplace else is if it rains, everyone stays home until it stops raining. And most of the year when you’re planning something outdoors, you can assume the weather will cooperate.

Having just been in Philadelphia last week, I’m pretty sure the traffic in San Diego is not worse than Philly. You will generally spend more time in your car in San Diego, even in the walkable neighborhoods, than you do in Philadelphia proper. There is that. But traffic in SD is really not as bad as a lot of other large cities.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Been in SD since '75.

I hope with all the negative things said about SD in this thread folks just stay away.

The rest of us here thank you.

What was that scene from Monty Python and the Hold Grail about Camelot? :wink:

cmdreset

Post by cmdreset » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:33 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 pm

What do you do with the kids on the weekends? Pretty much the same thing you do in Philadelphia, except with better weather. Kids are on sports teams, they go to the pool (most pools are open year round), there are parks and beaches, libraries, school activities.
Exactly - in the affluent areas people rush from one planned activity (sports/music/clubs) to another on weekends. Unless they are into surfing, few families I know go hang out at the beach on a regular basis.

I will add, though, that if you are outdoor people you are very near some spectacular hiking and camping compared to Philly (the local mountains, San Jacinto/Gorgonio, Joshua Tree, Anza-Borrego, the Sierras etc.)

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Newsweek put San Diego at 24 for best city to raise a family - https://www.newsweek.com/best-american- ... ly-1106807

Overland Park, Kansas was surprisingly #1.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Last year in San Diego there was a hepatitis outbreak due to too many homeless people downtown. It was such a mess- these
poor homeless urinate and deficate in the streets. Several deaths
due to hep and many people very ill. The city of SD had to power wash and sanitize streets and relocate homeless to
plastic huts with porta potties and hand washing stations.

The homeless population
is increasing everywhere it seems ! I live in Rancho Bernardo and in 2 community parks in this area in the past year there have been
more and more people sleeping in their cars. And using the public restrooms. The homeless and mentally ill have been responsible for
several fires in SD County in recent years. Many smoke and discard cigs-many cook outdoors on campfires. I grew up in La Jolla and
we never had homeless there until 1989 that I can recall.

It's only gonna get worse. Don't move to SD !
:confused

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 pm

We moved to Los Angeles last year from low cost Midwest. LA is not quite San Diego, but the calculations we made with respect to trade offs in cost of living are likely similar to someone moving to San Diego from elsewhere. We are a dual physician household. We also have been in practice for a while and have built up decent amount of savings, so we moved to LA with plenty of ammunition. That’s the beauty of living and saving up in an ultra low cost area first - leading a Bogleheadish lifestyle - before moving to an expensive area.

We bought a $1 million house in a nice suburb here; we had enough to pay cash for the house but decided to take a 30 yr fixed mortgage with a rate of 3.6%. We can pay this off anytime, which gives us peace of mind. Physician salaries in Los Angeles are about the same in absolute terms compared to where we came from, but the higher cost of living in SoCal means we are getting less for our money. However, since we are at mid career and already have saved a good sized retirement portfolio that frankly can be left alone to compound on its own without adding another dollar and still be sufficient for retirement, we are less bothered by the cost of living disadvantage. In fact, after a year here, I was pleasantly surprised to find that we were still able to save 18% of gross income. BTW, we intend to retire here and we are close to that point. The reason we still work is to allow our portfolio to compound for a few more years, and to use our current incomes from our jobs to prevent us from having to draw down the portfolio prematurely.

What I’m saying is, you need to come to San Diego or LA well prepared.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:06 am

shell921 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:14 pm
Last year in San Diego there was a hepatitis outbreak due to too many homeless people downtown. It was such a mess- these
poor homeless urinate and deficate in the streets. Several deaths
due to hep and many people very ill. The city of SD had to power wash and sanitize streets and relocate homeless to
plastic huts with porta potties and hand washing stations.

The homeless population
is increasing everywhere it seems ! I live in Rancho Bernardo and in 2 community parks in this area in the past year there have been
more and more people sleeping in their cars. And using the public restrooms. The homeless and mentally ill have been responsible for
several fires in SD County in recent years. Many smoke and discard cigs-many cook outdoors on campfires. I grew up in La Jolla and
we never had homeless there until 1989 that I can recall.

It's only gonna get worse. Don't move to SD !
:confused
In LA we are having similar issues. There’s currently a breakout of flea-born typhus also attributable to the increasing vagrant population.