Help: Potential car lease fraud?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
seashell

Help: Potential car lease fraud?

Post by seashell » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 pm

I received a letter from a car dealer saying that my lease for a Ford Escape is about to expire, and I can return my Ford to their dealership instead of the one from which I originally leased the car. However, I have not and have never leased a Ford Escape or any other car, and I have never done business with this car dealership. I have been a victim of identity fraud numerous times in the past, including having someone try to open a credit card using my real name and SSN. So I am concerned that someone may have leased a car or pulled off some kind of scam in my name.

I will call the dealership on Monday to ask how they got my name and address. I have already frozen my credit report with all three credit bureaus. Is there anything else that I should do to investigate whether someone has taken out a fraudulent lease in my name? Is there any way to figure out where the original lease is? What else can I do to resolve this?

denovo

Re: Help: Potential car lease fraud?

Post by denovo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:29 am

seashell wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 pm
I received a letter from a car dealer saying that my lease for a Ford Escape is about to expire, and I can return my Ford to their dealership instead of the one from which I originally leased the car. However, I have not and have never leased a Ford Escape or any other car, and I have never done business with this car dealership. I have been a victim of identity fraud numerous times in the past, including having someone try to open a credit card using my real name and SSN. So I am concerned that someone may have leased a car or pulled off some kind of scam in my name.

I will call the dealership on Monday to ask how they got my name and address. I have already frozen my credit report with all three credit bureaus. Is there anything else that I should do to investigate whether someone has taken out a fraudulent lease in my name? Is there any way to figure out where the original lease is? What else can I do to resolve this?

Also, you can still get your free annual credit report with a freeze, so monitoring your credit isn’t an issue, either.

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/everyth ... 1803139061

Pull your free credit report with one of the agencies through the free site , https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action, and see if there is a lease on it.

Also please update us. I would be intrigued to know if a scammer can still get a lease when there is a credit freeze.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 pm

seashell wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Any update?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:37 am

The typical car lease is 2-3 years, so if it’s about to end that means it was opened that long ago. You’ve checked your credit since then, right?

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 am

You might send a thank you card to whomever has been paying a lease in your name for adding another positive tradeline to your credit file. Also, check your credit more than once every {insert typical lease term here}.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:18 am

Somebody who fraudulently leased a car would not have been paying for it.

The car dealer just wants to get you in the door to sell or lease you something.

Ralph

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 am

ralph124cf wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:18 am
Somebody who fraudulently leased a car would not have been paying for it.

The car dealer just wants to get you in the door to sell or lease you something.

Ralph
Right?

I get pieces of mail almost daily for things like this, or that my factory warranty is about to expire on a car I've never owned. Why do people take the junk mail that they get on a daily basis so seriously?

PS. Check your credit. It's free, it's easy, it will answer questions like this.