Newer Steelcase Task Chairs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bb

Newer Steelcase Task Chairs

Post by bb »

Anybody have any experience with any of the newer Steelcase Task Chairs at home or work? Any good sites for either new or used?
Topic Author
bb

Re: Newer Steelcase Task Chairs

Post by bb »

Nobody?
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Sorry, our Steelcase chair is 13 years old. I'm sitting in it now, so I can vouch for the older Steelcase chairs. I've had no need to replace it, so I'm not familiar with the newer ones.
onourway

Post by onourway »

There are likely a wide number of possible models you could be talking about - Steelcase's lineup is different around the world, and so on. It'd probably help if you linked the specific model you were interested in. (Although this still strikes me as an obscure question even for Bogleheads :D )
Topic Author
bb

Post by bb »

Amia
Leap
Gesture
Think

It is actually a difficult item to buy. If you aren't happy with big box selection then you are dealing with a business that sells to other businesses. Since everything is custom ordered and built places somewhat close to me generally don't stock a whole lot of stuff to even try out. And if you buy something you can't return it - so you are stuck with it.
t3xn

Post by t3xn »

I have had a Steelcase Leap for 7 or 8 years. I think it is overrated. They had some very limited 50% off sale so that's the only reason I bought one. Mechanically it has held up well but the padding on the seat is horrible now. I just bought a memory foam seat cushion so hopefully I can get some more years out of it. I actually prefer my $120 seat from Costco w/ better cushioning and mesh back over the leap.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Ah, when I think of Task chairs I think of the lighter-weight office chairs for more temporary seating which is why I thought it was a somewhat odd request. :)

I've had a Leap for my home office for a number of years. It's a nice chair. I don't like it quite as much as my Aeron that I've used at my regular office for years, but it's leaps and bounds better than what you get at any office supply chain. I too got it about half price through a liquidation sale. Probably best to try and find somewhere you can sit in a few of these before pulling the trigger though.

As I said in the Aeron thread yesterday though, I gave up my Aeron at the office years ago and do a combination sit/stand with a plain wooden artists stool.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

We bought an office chair last year from a liquidator. Looked at all the major brands and models. We ended up with a Haworth zody. The amia came close but liked the zody better.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

I bought a Leap 3 months ago, direct from Steelcase. Came fully assembled in a very large box, with an option to return within 30 days for a refund. So far, I like it better than any chair I've bought from the local big box office supply stores over the years. Much better lumbar support. Time will tell if it's durable enough to last, but based on my experience at work with Steelcase office chairs I expect it to.
pyld76

Post by pyld76 »

I bought a Steelcase Gesture 5 months ago for the home office. Best desk chair I've ever had. For reference, I've had a haworth zody for approximately 5 years in my actual office (1 day/week, max) and prior to that had Herman Miller Aeron's since the dot-com era in the late 1990s. Bought the chair from steelcase via amazon. Word of warning: plan on letting the chair outgass for a week or so post-shipping.

The only thing I can't comment upon, given the duration of ownership, is the durability of the Steelcase. I see no reason in my initial experience to question it. I've never owned a chair which is as comfortable in many different seating positions.
BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney »

bb wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:01 am Anybody have any experience with any of the newer Steelcase Task Chairs at home or work? Any good sites for either new or used?
Not sure about getting the newest ones, but I've had luck getting Steelcase chairs cheap (under $100) on craigslist/letgo.
itaos

Post by itaos »

t3xn wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 am I have had a Steelcase Leap for 7 or 8 years. I think it is overrated. They had some very limited 50% off sale so that's the only reason I bought one. Mechanically it has held up well but the padding on the seat is horrible now. I just bought a memory foam seat cushion so hopefully I can get some more years out of it. I actually prefer my $120 seat from Costco w/ better cushioning and mesh back over the leap.
Ditto, the Leap is overrated. I have had it 3+ years and added a seat and a lumbar support cushion. Also had an occupational therapist out to review my setup and she was kinda meh on the chair too.