Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
ThankYouJack
Posts: 2244
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm

I know there's this chart - https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/ ... _food.html

So I'm going to toss eggs and yogurt.

I'm also wondering about frozen fruit, vegetables, bean burritos, black bean burgers that thawed and will be refrozen.

What about things in the fridge such as almond milk, shredded cheddar cheese, kale, hummus? Based on the chart, seems like I should toss the kale

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:29 pm

What was the temperature outside/inside and how often did you open your fridge? Kale should be fine especially if you cook it.
Last edited by Alexa9 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by mrc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:30 pm

If you kept the door shut ...

Looking over that chart, a run to Costco, Trader Joes, Wegmans, and the dry cleaners on a hot summer day means I should toss everything from the first store when I get home.

I leave eggs out on the counter overnight. They cook better at room temp.

Anything that smells or tastes off, I would discard. Anything in a sealed package will probably be fine. Especially the dairy.

IANAD This is not medical advice. Use your judgement.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

jebmke
Posts: 8418
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by jebmke » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 pm

If the eggs weren't really old they will be fine. I've taken eggs on a one-week sailing trip and not had them chilled much of the time. I wouldn't eat them raw -- but I wouldn't even if refrigerated.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6231
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by HueyLD » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Eggs should be just fine.

When I was a kid, my parents raised chickens in our backyard and we never ever refrigerated eggs even in hot summer days.

dknightd
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by dknightd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

It really depends on what temperature they were exposed to. And for how long.
I would not worry too much about things you were going to cook before consuming.
I might consider tossing open containers of yogurt, or milk. I would not worry much about kale.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7651
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm
Eggs should be just fine.

When I was a kid, my parents raised chickens in our backyard and we never ever refrigerated eggs even in hot summer days.
If you wash the eggs (and store-bought eggs are washed), you should refrigerate. Unwashed eggs can be kept on the counter. Your parents eggs are not like eggs today from a store (which are probably weeks old before they arrive at the store).
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

ReadyOrNot
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by ReadyOrNot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:03 pm

I thought if you did not open your refrigerator or freezer doors, most refrigerators were supposed to keep the food cold for 24 hrs. I guess you should be able to tell if your frozen food thawed or not.

ThankYouJack
Posts: 2244
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks all. Outside temp was about 70 degrees. Not sure what the inside temp got to but the stuff didn't feel cold. I opened the fridge twice quickly while the power was out.

I already tossed the eggs, but wish I hadn't as I bought them yesterday. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm guessing the hummus is fine too. We ate some of the stuff in the freezer for dinner tonight. I'd rather be extra cautious because it's only about $50 worth of food and I wouldn't want that to ruin any weekend plans. With that said, it seems like most everything is fine.

Starfish
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Starfish » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:12 pm

If you have a nose (and a tongue) you don't need to toss anything by default.
Thawed frozen stuff get disgusting and merge in a block though.

ThankYouJack
Posts: 2244
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:12 pm
If you have a nose (and a tongue) you don't need to toss anything by default.
Not according to foodsafety.gov:
Never taste food to determine its safety! You can’t rely on appearance or odor to determine whether food is safe.
They seem overly cautious, but I've had food poisoning before on food that smelt and tasted great and I hope to never have it again

Starfish
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Starfish » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Liability and fear mongering.
The reason why you have food poisoning so easily is exactly over protection (probably we can add here asthma and allergies too).

criticalmass
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by criticalmass » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 pm

As long as the refrigerator/freezer was never opened and was reasonably full, most or all of the food is likely just fine for 24 hours. Use your nose, eyes, and common sense to confirm. If the refrigerator door was opened then I would be suspect.

A lot of the guidance is super conservative and as another poster noted, you could never survive eating meat that was brought home from the supermarket on a hot day. The US Department of Agriculture at one point had a 45 slide powerpoint that explained why you would die if you ever ate unpasteurized cheese. According to that guidance, the entire population of France would be heading to the hospital each day, or worse.

MindBogler
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by MindBogler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 pm

If the doors were closed the whole time it's probably all fine. Eggs can keep on the counter for days but I wouldn't make hollandaise. 8-)

Momus
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Momus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 pm

If it doesn't smell or taste weird, it's good. I wouldn't toss a thing.

WanderingDoc
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by WanderingDoc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 pm
Liability and fear mongering.
The reason why you have food poisoning so easily is exactly over protection (probably we can add here asthma and allergies too).
Agree 100%.

We have been literally eating soil, mixed with excrement, raw muscle meat, raw organs, etc. for millions of years. People honestly think that a couple hundred years of refrigeration or 100 years of being overly sanitary has killed our genetic and evolutionary adaptation to eat raw and soiled food? Makes me laugh. Probably the same people that think eat a lot of salt (or meat) is bad for you.
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

User avatar
SevenBridgesRoad
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 am

WanderingDoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm
Starfish wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 pm
Liability and fear mongering.
The reason why you have food poisoning so easily is exactly over protection (probably we can add here asthma and allergies too).
Agree 100%.

We have been literally eating soil, mixed with excrement, raw muscle meat, raw organs, etc. for millions of years. People honestly think that a couple hundred years of refrigeration or 100 years of being overly sanitary has killed our genetic and evolutionary adaptation to eat raw and soiled food? Makes me laugh. Probably the same people that think eat a lot of salt (or meat) is bad for you.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... -man/n9887
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide | You should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

Chip
Posts: 2278
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Chip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 am

WanderingDoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm
We have been literally eating soil, mixed with excrement, raw muscle meat, raw organs, etc. for millions of years. People honestly think that a couple hundred years of refrigeration or 100 years of being overly sanitary has killed our genetic and evolutionary adaptation to eat raw and soiled food?
Of course not. Then again, people used to die a lot younger on average than they do now. Bad food and water were a big part of that.

I have a nice bottle of water from rural Mexico. Care to drink it? Better yet, some that I dipped out out of a stream in rural China.

MarkBarb
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by MarkBarb » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:23 am

Definitely throw out the Kale. You should do that based on even the flimsiest of excuses.

five2one
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by five2one » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am

Pro tip.

The cost of a generator is covered after one or two power outages.

It is very nice to have a comfortable house, wi-fi, coffee, and good food while your neighbors sit in the dark.

Trism
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am

Throw out the black bean burgers and the kale. It wasn't edible when you bought it.

ThankYouJack
Posts: 2244
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm

five2one wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am
Pro tip.

The cost of a generator is covered after one or two power outages.

It is very nice to have a comfortable house, wi-fi, coffee, and good food while your neighbors sit in the dark.
I would think a generator big enough to power a fridge, plus the cost of gas and maintenance would be quite a bit more. No?
Some of our neighbors have them and they seem finicky and need to be maintained.

I only lost about $10 of food for this outage and it would have been less if I kept the eggs.

trueblueky
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by trueblueky » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Here's a cheap test for needed future outages:

Freeze a cup of water now. Place a penny on it. When you open the freezer after a power outage, where is the penny? If it hasn't fallen to the bottom, your meat hasn't thawed.

WanderingDoc
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by WanderingDoc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Chip wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 am
WanderingDoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm
We have been literally eating soil, mixed with excrement, raw muscle meat, raw organs, etc. for millions of years. People honestly think that a couple hundred years of refrigeration or 100 years of being overly sanitary has killed our genetic and evolutionary adaptation to eat raw and soiled food?
Of course not. Then again, people used to die a lot younger on average than they do now. Bad food and water were a big part of that.

I have a nice bottle of water from rural Mexico. Care to drink it? Better yet, some that I dipped out out of a stream in rural China.
I am talking about soil and raw meat. Not water from sewers and streams. Certain things we are adapted to. I didn't say everything. Way to straw man.

There is a reason why children (and adults) immune systems suck today. All these skin conditions, autoimmune disease, etc. These are primarily due to overly sanitary practices. Moms in America wonder why their infants have food allergies, hay fever, eczema, etc. These are not normal conditions of development. They are the results of overly sanitary practices. It has only became worse as obsessive mothers try to create an overly sterile environment for their children.

I don't develop ANY skin conditions, I never have diarrhea. I get a cold maybe once every 3 years. Have never had a fever. This is due to purposefully exposing myself to all sorts of antigens from an early age. Using too much soap and chemicals on the skin is also harmful, esp. for young children. I honestly believe its child abuse and neglect what these children have to go through due to brainwashed mothers thinking sterility is healthy.
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

Chip
Posts: 2278
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Chip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:25 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm
I am talking about soil and raw meat. Not water from sewers and streams. Certain things we are adapted to. I didn't say everything. Way to straw man.
Not a straw man at all; you said EXCREMENT in your post. Therefore you shouldn't have any problem drinking from that stream in China. After all, people have been doing that forever, right?
There is a reason why children (and adults) immune systems suck today. [...] These are primarily due to overly sanitary practices.
Wait a minute. You said that nothing had changed our evolutionary adaptations and that we should be quite capable of tolerating raw and soiled food. Which is it? Do our immune systems suck or not?
I don't develop ANY skin conditions, I never have diarrhea. I get a cold maybe once every 3 years. Have never had a fever. This is due to purposefully exposing myself to all sorts of antigens from an early age. Using too much soap and chemicals on the skin is also harmful, esp. for young children.
How on earth does ANY of that relate to the OP's decision whether or not to eat the food?

WanderingDoc
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by WanderingDoc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Chip wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:25 pm
WanderingDoc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm
I am talking about soil and raw meat. Not water from sewers and streams. Certain things we are adapted to. I didn't say everything. Way to straw man.
Not a straw man at all; you said EXCREMENT in your post. Therefore you shouldn't have any problem drinking from that stream in China. After all, people have been doing that forever, right?
There is a reason why children (and adults) immune systems suck today. [...] These are primarily due to overly sanitary practices.
Wait a minute. You said that nothing had changed our evolutionary adaptations and that we should be quite capable of tolerating raw and soiled food. Which is it? Do our immune systems suck or not?
I don't develop ANY skin conditions, I never have diarrhea. I get a cold maybe once every 3 years. Have never had a fever. This is due to purposefully exposing myself to all sorts of antigens from an early age. Using too much soap and chemicals on the skin is also harmful, esp. for young children.
How on earth does ANY of that relate to the OP's decision whether or not to eat the food?
You have to understand human physiology and immunology. Doesn't seem like you do.

Evolution/adaptation is point #1. There is just the DNA (antibodies to antigens) that you are born with. That is my point that if we evolved such antibodies over 2M years, they are not likely to change.

The skin and gun conditions children get are not a result of a weak immune system, its a result of a hyperactive immune system. This is point #2.
Totally different thing. There is the stuff we are born with, then there is the complement system and immune system (which can change throughout life) that cannot adapt to NEW exposure due to mothers creating an overly sterilized environment for children. This results in hay fever, eczema, etc. which our ancestors never developed because they didn't over sterilize their children.

Two separate concepts. Don't try to lump different things as if they are the same. Both points are valid. There is plenty of bacteria and excrement that we take in, a non-sterile environment should be encouraged from birth. Unless, you enjoy taking your child to the doctor every month. Some people do! They are also those that throw away food after it sits on the counter for 3 hours, and probably also run away when they turn on the microwave :P
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4174
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by whodidntante » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm
Eggs should be just fine.

When I was a kid, my parents raised chickens in our backyard and we never ever refrigerated eggs even in hot summer days.
If you wash the eggs (and store-bought eggs are washed), you should refrigerate. Unwashed eggs can be kept on the counter. Your parents eggs are not like eggs today from a store (which are probably weeks old before they arrive at the store).
This is true. In some countries eggs are sold without refrigeration and can be stored without refrigeration. This seems wrong to an American, but it's safe because the eggs have not been washed.

User avatar
randybobandy
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by randybobandy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:30 pm

trueblueky wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm
Here's a cheap test for needed future outages:

Freeze a cup of water now. Place a penny on it. When you open the freezer after a power outage, where is the penny? If it hasn't fallen to the bottom, your meat hasn't thawed.
It seems easier to touch the meat to see if it has thawed.

bhsince87
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:34 pm

As they say, when in doubt, throw it out. Yes, I am positive that motto leads to a bunch of food getting tossed that probably perfectly fine to eat.

But this is a case where the potential downside outcome (hospitalization, death?) while of very low probability, vastly outweighs the upside (saving $50 worth of food).

I'd spend a few bucks for a recording thermometer for future use. It's nice to have even if you never have a power outage again. I set our fridge at 34-35 degrees F. Food stays fresh longer, plus it gives us some buffer when the power goes out.

https://www.amazon.com/HEALCO-Thermomet ... XSE17K32PN
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

madbrain
Posts: 5124
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by madbrain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:50 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm
Your parents eggs are not like eggs today from a store (which are probably weeks old before they arrive at the store).
I'll say. Parents eggs need to be frozen.
https://www.pacificfertilitycenter.com/ ... g-freezing .
Be sure to discard if not following those guidelines.
(sorry, I just had to).

chessknt
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:15 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by chessknt » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm
I don't develop ANY skin conditions, I never have diarrhea. I get a cold maybe once every 3 years. Have never had a fever. This is due to purposefully exposing myself to all sorts of antigens from an early age. Using too much soap and chemicals on the skin is also harmful, esp. for young children. I honestly believe its child abuse and neglect what these children have to go through due to brainwashed mothers thinking sterility is healthy.
You honestly think influenza virus infects people because their immune systems are hyper vigilant? What about bacterial meningitis in college kids? Or should healthy people never have a fever like you?

Fevers are a normal immune response. Acne is normal in teenagers from changes in the apocrine sweat glands. Diarrhea frequently occurs to prevent worse consequences from ingesting preformed endotoxin. It's amazing you've managed to avoid all of these almost universal human experiences.

WanderingDoc
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by WanderingDoc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 pm

chessknt wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 pm
WanderingDoc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm
I don't develop ANY skin conditions, I never have diarrhea. I get a cold maybe once every 3 years. Have never had a fever. This is due to purposefully exposing myself to all sorts of antigens from an early age. Using too much soap and chemicals on the skin is also harmful, esp. for young children. I honestly believe its child abuse and neglect what these children have to go through due to brainwashed mothers thinking sterility is healthy.
You honestly think influenza virus infects people because their immune systems are hyper vigilant? What about bacterial meningitis in college kids? Or should healthy people never have a fever like you?

Fevers are a normal immune response. Acne is normal in teenagers from changes in the apocrine sweat glands. Diarrhea frequently occurs to prevent worse consequences from ingesting preformed endotoxin. It's amazing you've managed to avoid all of these almost universal human experiences.
No one said anything about acne. We are talking about modern skin conditions in humans directly as a result of hypersterility. Many skin, gastrointestinal, and autoimmune conditions are on the rise especially in infants due to their mothers creating an abnormally sterile environment for them. These people are stuck with these conditions often into adulthood as a result of fear-mongering and poor education from the internet.

A normal physiologic response to an abnormal stimulus does not mean that it's healthy or encouraging. Obesity is a perfectly normal physiologic response to a whole host of unfavorable environmental and hormonal conditions. Just because something is a normal physiologic response does not mean it's healthy.
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7651
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:57 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:50 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm
Your parents eggs are not like eggs today from a store (which are probably weeks old before they arrive at the store).
I'll say. Parents eggs need to be frozen.
https://www.pacificfertilitycenter.com/ ... g-freezing .
Be sure to discard if not following those guidelines.
(sorry, I just had to).
Madbrain, :D

I just noticed the missing apostrophe, but even with an apostrophe, that wouldn’t have made me immune to the joke.

FWIW, I’m not weoghing in on the immunity/evolution discussion above.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14360
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Watty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:30 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm
I'm also wondering about frozen fruit, vegetables, bean burritos, black bean burgers that thawed and will be refrozen.
I would not freeze it again I would just eat as much as possible over the next few days.

Some things you could cook into something like a stew and then freeze the cooked stew.

trueblueky
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by trueblueky » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:29 pm

randybobandy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:30 pm
trueblueky wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm
Here's a cheap test for needed future outages:

Freeze a cup of water now. Place a penny on it. When you open the freezer after a power outage, where is the penny? If it hasn't fallen to the bottom, your meat hasn't thawed.
It seems easier to touch the meat to see if it has thawed.
Say you were gone for a week. You can tell the power was off because the clocks are blinking. Were they off long enough to thaw the meat?

AlphaLess
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by AlphaLess » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:50 pm

If you did not open your freezer, probably everything is OK.

Fridge: different story.

We could literally toss everything in our fridge out and not miss a thing.
Fridge turnover is a lot.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

User avatar
randybobandy
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by randybobandy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:58 pm

trueblueky wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:29 pm
randybobandy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:30 pm
trueblueky wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm
Here's a cheap test for needed future outages:

Freeze a cup of water now. Place a penny on it. When you open the freezer after a power outage, where is the penny? If it hasn't fallen to the bottom, your meat hasn't thawed.
It seems easier to touch the meat to see if it has thawed.
Say you were gone for a week. You can tell the power was off because the clocks are blinking. Were they off long enough to thaw the meat?
I'm going to have to open the freezer and touch the meat at some point, whether it needs to be tossed or is fine.

Starfish
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Starfish » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Chip wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 am
WanderingDoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm
We have been literally eating soil, mixed with excrement, raw muscle meat, raw organs, etc. for millions of years. People honestly think that a couple hundred years of refrigeration or 100 years of being overly sanitary has killed our genetic and evolutionary adaptation to eat raw and soiled food?
Of course not. Then again, people used to die a lot younger on average than they do now. Bad food and water were a big part of that.

I have a nice bottle of water from rural Mexico. Care to drink it? Better yet, some that I dipped out out of a stream in rural China.
However the locals have much less issues drinking that water.
My friends carry with them water filters or iodine when they go backpacking because people cannot drink water from mountain springs (or melted snow) anymore.

five2one
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by five2one » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:38 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm
five2one wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am
Pro tip.

The cost of a generator is covered after one or two power outages.

It is very nice to have a comfortable house, wi-fi, coffee, and good food while your neighbors sit in the dark.
I would think a generator big enough to power a fridge, plus the cost of gas and maintenance would be quite a bit more. No?
Some of our neighbors have them and they seem finicky and need to be maintained.

I only lost about $10 of food for this outage and it would have been less if I kept the eggs.
I have a 6500 watt generator that takes care of plenty. I keep fuel stabilizer in it and it last 6 months.
If you don't use it up then just run the generator. It burns five gallons over 8 hrs with a full load.
Maintenance is cheap with a dash of oil, air filter, and spark plug.

In my last house I had a separate plug on the breaker so I could back feed my house.
If you want to keep your windows closed, power the HVAC first then other systems.
Just basic load tests and you'll know if you have enough.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6107
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm
five2one wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am
Pro tip.

The cost of a generator is covered after one or two power outages.

It is very nice to have a comfortable house, wi-fi, coffee, and good food while your neighbors sit in the dark.
I would think a generator big enough to power a fridge, plus the cost of gas and maintenance would be quite a bit more. No?
Some of our neighbors have them and they seem finicky and need to be maintained.

I only lost about $10 of food for this outage and it would have been less if I kept the eggs.
Keep in mind that even a small generator can power a lot more than a refrigerator. We have a 2400 watt Yamaha inverter generator (very quiet), and it has powered our refrigerator, chest freezer, TV, modem, router, computer, and the neighbors' refrigerators simultaneously without skipping a beat. Worth every penny. That being said, an 800 watt pure sine wave inverter hooked up to your running vehicle's battery can also power the refrigerator at much lower cost than a generator.

Regarding the refrigerator losing power, they can generally keep most of the food good for up to two days with no power, especially if the door isn't open. Keeping some frozen water bottles in the freezer provides a sort of 'thermal battery' that can be moved into the refrigerator if power is lost, and when they melt, you have cool water to drink. Throwing a sleeping bag, blankets, and the like over the refrigerator will help to keep it cool for longer as well.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

LeeMKE
Posts: 1767
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by LeeMKE » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 pm

+1
Here's a cheap test for needed future outages:

Freeze a cup of water now. Place a penny on it. When you open the freezer after a power outage, where is the penny? If it hasn't fallen to the bottom, your meat hasn't thawed.
One outage is enough to make this a reasonable, cheap insurance to implement.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

User avatar
jharkin
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by jharkin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm
I know there's this chart - https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/ ... _food.html
WOW... Ive never seen this chart before.

If true we basically will have to start clearing the table and throwing out thanksgiving dinner halfway though the meal. Not to mention probably half of all the food I have eaten in my lifetime was rotten by these standards....

User avatar
jharkin
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by jharkin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:29 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm
five2one wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am
Pro tip.

The cost of a generator is covered after one or two power outages.

It is very nice to have a comfortable house, wi-fi, coffee, and good food while your neighbors sit in the dark.
I would think a generator big enough to power a fridge, plus the cost of gas and maintenance would be quite a bit more. No?
Some of our neighbors have them and they seem finicky and need to be maintained.

I only lost about $10 of food for this outage and it would have been less if I kept the eggs.
Keep in mind that even a small generator can power a lot more than a refrigerator. We have a 2400 watt Yamaha inverter generator (very quiet), and it has powered our refrigerator, chest freezer, TV, modem, router, computer, and the neighbors' refrigerators simultaneously without skipping a beat. Worth every penny. That being said, an 800 watt pure sine wave inverter hooked up to your running vehicle's battery can also power the refrigerator at much lower cost than a generator.

Regarding the refrigerator losing power, they can generally keep most of the food good for up to two days with no power, especially if the door isn't open. Keeping some frozen water bottles in the freezer provides a sort of 'thermal battery' that can be moved into the refrigerator if power is lost, and when they melt, you have cool water to drink. Throwing a sleeping bag, blankets, and the like over the refrigerator will help to keep it cool for longer as well.
+1. I have a 3200watt generator- the main reason I got it was to be able to power the basement sump pump in long power outages during big rains (has not happened yet). The few times Ive used it I don't think I've run it over half load, probably should have bought something smaller and quieter.

Even without it we could be fine for a really long time. If its summer you will sweat but you'll survive. In winter we have a woodstove for heat. We also have a gas stove to cook on (can use a grill or a camp stove if you don't have natgas). Being able to power the fridge is a luxury and it only draws about 400watts. When we get long outages it only needs to run a couple hours a day to stay cold. And honestly the droning of the generator is really annoying so when we do need it we try and run it as little as possible.

Unless you need 240volt power for a well pump to drink, or are prone to regular week long outages, these massive automatic backup systems are unnecessary IMHO.

fposte
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by fposte » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:37 am

jharkin wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 am
ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm
I know there's this chart - https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/ ... _food.html
WOW... Ive never seen this chart before.

If true we basically will have to start clearing the table and throwing out thanksgiving dinner halfway though the meal. Not to mention probably half of all the food I have eaten in my lifetime was rotten by these standards....
There's a reason why church picnics are famous vectors for food poisoning.

Nowizard
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Nowizard » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Here is something recently seen in an article on this issue for those with weather related loss of power: Put a water-filled can or something similar in the freezer with a coin on top of the ice. If power goes off and ice melts, the coin will be at the bottom of the can, even if refrozen. If so, throw out the items.

Tim

wfrobinette
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Starfish wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:26 pm
Chip wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 am
WanderingDoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm
We have been literally eating soil, mixed with excrement, raw muscle meat, raw organs, etc. for millions of years. People honestly think that a couple hundred years of refrigeration or 100 years of being overly sanitary has killed our genetic and evolutionary adaptation to eat raw and soiled food?
Of course not. Then again, people used to die a lot younger on average than they do now. Bad food and water were a big part of that.

I have a nice bottle of water from rural Mexico. Care to drink it? Better yet, some that I dipped out out of a stream in rural China.
However the locals have much less issues drinking that water.
My friends carry with them water filters or iodine when they go backpacking because people cannot drink water from mountain springs (or melted snow) anymore.
I don''t they ever could safely.

Starfish
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by Starfish » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Mountain springs used to be the symbol of clean water. But nowadays deer poops in it...
I have never carried a filter with me anyewhere with zero issues. And I backpacked a lot.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6107
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 pm

fposte wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:37 am
jharkin wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 am
ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm
I know there's this chart - https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/ ... _food.html
WOW... Ive never seen this chart before.

If true we basically will have to start clearing the table and throwing out thanksgiving dinner halfway though the meal. Not to mention probably half of all the food I have eaten in my lifetime was rotten by these standards....
There's a reason why church picnics are famous vectors for food poisoning.
Joe of the Stacking Benjamins podcast related how he got a nasty case of food poisoning from eating cole slaw that had been unrefrigerated for something like eight hours.

Certain foods go 'bad' much faster than others. I've eaten day old unrefrigerated pizza with no ill effects.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Everyone should buy themselves an inexpensive generator, like Harbor Freight, and keep a gallon or two of canned fuel around. Power goes out once in a while even in metro areas.

My in-laws lost several refrigerators of food over a couple years, probably $400/pop. I offered to buy them a generator but my MIL doesn't like outside help :? My kids were impressed that we had TV and cold beer through the outages :beer

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6107
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Lost Power for 24 hours - what food to toss?

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm
Everyone should buy themselves an inexpensive generator, like Harbor Freight, and keep a gallon or two of canned fuel around. Power goes out once in a while even in metro areas.

My in-laws lost several refrigerators of food over a couple years, probably $400/pop. I offered to buy them a generator but my MIL doesn't like outside help :? My kids were impressed that we had TV and cold beer through the outages :beer
For most folks, buying a generator solely for the purpose of protecting the contents of their refrigerator is not a good bet unless it is indeed a very inexpensive generator like the Harbor Freight kind. That being said, there are many other benefits to be had from a generator other than keeping one's chill chest chilled. As you note, keeping the kids and yourself happy when your neighbors are pulling their hair out, which will definitely happen by day two of a power outage, is very satisfying indeed. :mrgreen:

I'm seriously thinking of creating a thread with an OP detailing the pros/cons of generators, what items a generator can provide, the various types of generators out there with their pros/cons, the basic operation of a generator, and maintenance involved. It would be fairly long, but I think it would be beneficial to many.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Post Reply