Key West Hotels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
scarson

Key West Hotels

Post by scarson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:44 am

Planning to go to Key West, Florida this December for a week with wife and my boys aged 23 and 20. Need a good hotel or resort recommendation from Bogleheads who traveled recently. I used to rely on reviews on travel sites like expedia, however was badly burned several times as most of those reviews are fake and the properties when visited were a disappointment.

Thanks

Sam

Alexa9

Re: Key West Hotels

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:49 am

Have you used Airbnb or VRBO? I've had better luck with those than hotels and the reviews are fairly reliable. Nice to have a kitchen. Although a hotel with a pool might be fun for the kids since Key West isn't known for beaches. We stayed a ways away from the bars for quieter nights.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 am

I would think one would want very recent eyewitness accounts of anything due to hurricanes the past 2 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am

We stayed at the Truman and enjoyed it on our last trip there. You did not say much about what you were looking for in a hotel so it may or may not be a good choice for you. We were looking for a place that was convenient walking to Duval/Mallory/etc. and nice but not too expensive for KW prices. The hotel is well situated and has a great pool area. The room was smallish but that is pretty common in KW.

https://www.trumanhotel.com/
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:26 am

Stayed at the Coconut Resort last year before the hurricane. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and living room. Really enjoyed it. We would gladly stay there again.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 am

Not sure your budget, but the Westin right next to Mallory Square was fantastic. Not near the beach, next to a marina, so more pool then beach but a real nice property

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 am

scarson wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:44 am
Planning to go to Key West, Florida this December for a week with wife and my boys aged 23 and 20. Need a good hotel or resort recommendation from Bogleheads who traveled recently. I used to rely on reviews on travel sites like expedia, however was badly burned several times as most of those reviews are fake and the properties when visited were a disappointment.

Thanks

Sam
Have you tried Trip Advisor for reviews? I have found them accurate and very useful.

scarson

Post by scarson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks to all of you. Will check out your recs.

Sam :happy

tydas

Post by tydas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am

Stayed at the Southernmost Beach Resort a couple years ago and its a great hotel with real luxurious rooms. Its not the best location but it was within walking distance of Mallory Square area, we walked it every night with no issues.

scarson

Post by scarson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks tydas - will surely consider it.

Sam

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 am

We stayed here in June 2011. It was really nice and also low key.

The Marquesa Hotel
600 Fleming
Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 305-292-1919

scarson

Post by scarson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks TxAg

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am

cherijoh wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 am
scarson wrote:

Thanks

Sam
Have you tried Trip Advisor for reviews? I have found them accurate and very useful.
I agree about TripAdvisor. Read reviews, not just the rating numbers. Realize that there will always be someone who just can't be pleased. But the details about various places (hotels, restaurants, things to do) have always been useful to me.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 am

The Casa Marina is beautiful and near Old Town. Expensive but so is most everything near Duval Street.

http://www.casamarinaresort.com

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 pm

RudyS wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am
cherijoh wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 am
scarson wrote:

Thanks

Sam
I agree about TripAdvisor. Read reviews, not just the rating numbers. Realize that there will always be someone who just can't be pleased. But the details about various places (hotels, restaurants, things to do) have always been useful to me.
I look at the distribution of ratings (# of ratings of 4 or 5/Total # of ratings) and then read the recent ratings. I tend to give the most weight to reviewers who have lots of reviews under their belt and/or lots of thumbs up (i.e., helpful reviews). This info is found below the avatar for the reviewer (left side of the page). It can also be useful to filter the reviews based on traveler type (Couple, Family, Friends, Solo, Business) to match your traveler type.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm

The Southernmost is a beautiful property, with a nice restaurant on-site, and a beach (not natural, but lovely). It's about 2 miles away from the hub of Duval Street and Mallory Square. We like it, as it's more genteel, parking is easy, and the property is very relaxed, not party-town centric.

If you're going for the nightlife, you want to stay at the other end of the island, near Front St. So the Westin, the Hilton, or Pier House would be great. (The Pier House has a very small beach, and a very small pool - but is more old-world. NO elevator!)

Also - do yourself a favor, and book a dinner at Louie's Backyard, assuming it is still there. ;)

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

The last time I was in Key West (Dec 2015) we chose a B&B off Duval Street. Close to the action/sites but still quiet. Our choice was the Eaton and Duval area. We had spent a few days in Marathon with a rental car before Key West but returned in when we got to Key West. We walked everywhere, sites were all convenient. We have also stayed at the Southernmost properties many years ago. It was further from the touristy area (Mallory Square, bars/restaurants, etc) but easily walkable for us. Not sure this matters to you but if you choose to stay closer to Mallory Square you may have cruise ship passenger competition.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Conch55 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm
The last time I was in Key West (Dec 2015) we chose a B&B off Duval Street. Close to the action/sites but still quiet. Our choice was the Eaton and Duval area. We had spent a few days in Marathon with a rental car before Key West but returned in when we got to Key West. We walked everywhere, sites were all convenient. We have also stayed at the Southernmost properties many years ago. It was further from the touristy area (Mallory Square, bars/restaurants, etc) but easily walkable for us. Not sure this matters to you but if you choose to stay closer to Mallory Square you may have cruise ship passenger competition.
That would be my recommendation as well--particularly with sons the ages of OP's. We stayed at a B&B a few blocks off Duval St several years ago with our then-teenager. The area was safe enough that we allowed him to walk alone to Duval St to get us coffee at night. Choosing a location where you don't need to get in your car to travel a short distance is almost essential imo.

scarson

Post by scarson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Solid Tips - Thanks to all of you. I have my homework cut out

Sam

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:30 pm

We've gone to Key West every year, for 18 years, and have stayed in a wide range of places. First advice, as many say, be sure you stay within walking distance of Old Town. Don't stay on the outer ring where you have to drive in. The Southernmost and Westin are certainly classic hotels at either end of the Duval experience. I think the Westin is now a Jimmy Buffett property. B&Bs are fine, but you might need two rooms with the sons. It is actually a little late for the good places. I would recommend Banyon Tree, and ask about a two bedroom. It's a time share, and rent the units when owners aren't in town. Very well located. Another option is Truman Annex, check Compass Realty, though some listed on VRBO. 2 blocks from Duval, but quiet. I would not stay on the Shipyard side. These are condo units and there will be a community pool near each section. Typical rent is $2400 per week for two bedroom, Sat to Sat. This is a "safe" option for a first trip. Good luck.

scarson

Post by scarson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks a lot Beck49 - really appreciate it.

wcshaff

Post by wcshaff » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Recommend the Blue Marlin. Pretty standard motel, highly rated. good pricing, near the water and Southernmost point, and walking distance to town.

scarson

Post by scarson » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 am

Thanks a lot wcshaff

travelerfromsj

Post by travelerfromsj » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 pm

We stayed in a Harbor View room at Pier House a couple of years ago, and it was very nice. Big room, and a balcony overlooking the water. The hotel has a tiny beach that's private to guests. From the hotel it's an walk to Mallory Square and Duval street

pobox2001

Post by pobox2001 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 pm

tydas wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am
Stayed at the Southernmost Beach Resort a couple years ago and its a great hotel with real luxurious rooms. Its not the best location but it was within walking distance of Mallory Square area, we walked it every night with no issues.
We stayed here, too, for our 20th wedding anniversary. Very nice!

pobox2001

praxis

Post by praxis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 am
I would think one would want very recent eyewitness accounts of anything due to hurricanes the past 2 years.
We spent a week there last November. We flew into KW and also drove north to Marathon. Key West was back together after the recent hurricane. All the rest of the highway was piled with debris from the storm's destruction. Residents told us that Florida contracted a trash hauler from the mainland using semi-sized garbage trucks to clear the road shoulders. There was a deadline after which homeowners and contractors would have to pay for the hauling themselves. This was their solution. Most were hustling to clean up. We realized that there are almost no landfills in the Keys. Both sides of the highway were piled with trailers, refrigerators, drywall, boats, boards, mattresses. But the teams were making progress clearing it all. I have heard that things are nearly normal (at least for the Keys) after a year.

There was a flurry of construction and repair everywhere and businesses were open. In Key West itself, the only evidence we saw was damage to many of the trees and gardens. We had great luck with VRBO and AirB&B. Condo complexes that rent through these services sometimes have pools, gardens and even restaurants, if you are looking for resort-type accommodations.

Some of the things we enjoyed there were the seafood, a sunset sail, the music, Hemingway's house, the butterfly house, snorkeling, shopping and gardens.

Blondemommer

Post by Blondemommer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 pm

I spend time in Key West every year and typically rent a condo in Truman Annex. However, I spent a few days at Marker in Key West last year and really liked it. I agree the Westin, the Southernmost, Casa Marina, and the Hyatt on Front Street are all nice. Have fun. The weather can vary wildly in December. 55° with a north wind in Key West is pretty chilly; have a couple of warm sweaters.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I was in Key West less than 48 hours ago. Just got back to the Midwest. Spent two nights and covered just about every touristy thing to do.
- Drove the Overseas Highway from Miami
- Could not tell there was any hurricane damage along the way
- Airbnb had sanitary issues (it was a bedroom on a boat)
- Ended up staying at Simonton Court, which was the first place that had availability on short notice. It was ~$200 per night for a queen bed, but the property is worth it. Location and amenities cannot be beat.
- My Airbnb was also ~$200 per night, so figure out your own value equation
- OP mentions traveling with adult children. Simonton may have a 2BR or 3BR cottage to rent you that could work better than a motel
- If you have a car, there are exactly 8 spots at Simonton. If you don't get one, you'll have to find a garage

Notes on attractions:
- If you haven't already, do the Dry Tortugas National Park tour
- Hemingway House had A/C installed recently. The guided tour was beneficial to me, even though I have no familiarity with the author
- Visit Southernmost Point for sunrise, and Mallory Square for sunset
- The Wyland gallery is worth a visit. I had never heard of or planned to stop in, but I'm glad I did