Which one: Lyft or Uber?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WestUniversity

Re: Which one: Lyft or Uber?

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:57 pm

I’ve only ever used Uber and it has been a great experience each time...

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:13 pm

+1 for Lyft. Better app, I also prefer them out of principal: I’d rather not give my money to a company (Uber) who treats their female employees in such a pathetic manner.

I can’t always spend my money on principal, but when I can... I do.

EasternSierraEph

Post by EasternSierraEph » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:47 pm

"I HATE tipping and was really disappointed when Uber picked it up also."

We Uber drivers can't stand people like this!

I drive full time for rideshare after losing my job of 20 years. I do not expect every passenger to tip for every ride. However, tips and productivity bonuses are how drivers make ends meet.

Passengers are already getting a fantastic bargain compared to any other taxi / limousine service. If I drive 50 minutes out to the boondocks to be ready within 10 minutes of your call to pick you up at your door step, load your luggage, drive you 90 minutes through heavy a.m. traffic on a 45 mile trip to the airport and you can not even tip me a mere $10 so I can recoup my gas (I only get paid by Uber $45 for such a ride and its a loss to me without a $10 tip - 75% of my passengers dobtip on such a trip). Guess what? I'm giving you two star rating and not driving out to your area again. So now You can wait 30 minutes for another driver from the next county over or pay $120 for a taxi or limosine which may never arrive on time. The world was not created just to serve your needs.

523HRR

Post by 523HRR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

I have both apps; don’t see much difference between Uber and Lyft; many drivers drive for both services. I just bring up my ride search on both apps and just choose whichever is cheapest (usually Lyft).

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I have both, have used both more times than I can count. I think Lyft has two primary advantages: 1) my anecdotal experience is that it's usually cheaper; 2) with Lyft, when a driver accepts your request, they get a dot on your map showing where you actually are standing, in addition to the origination address you put in. If you're in an urban environment or somewhere with which you're not familiar, this is a MASSIVE advantage, because it can avoid a lot of confusion if you put the pin in the wrong place. (Uber may have this now too, I'm not sure -- a couple Lyft drivers commented on this to me a couple years ago and I began to notice the difference.)

as for the people complaining about Lyft's "politics" but not Uber's corporate culture... :confused

wander

Post by wander » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 pm

I used Lyft simply because at the first time I ever used this kind of service, Uber was giving me error after several trials using Apple pay.
Lyft worked at the first try.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Many drivers drive for both. A dear childhood friend is one of them, and he told me that Lyft is better for drivers than Uber. That's why I use Lyft.

Please tip. Tips are what keep the drivers driving. Without tips they often lose money. People who are driving for Uber/Lyft are often really struggling financially. It might be a second or third job, it might be what they're doing to pay bills after losing their regular job.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:37 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am
I have used Uber several times and all trips were good except the last one. I called Uber to take me to my hotel 2 miles away.The Uber driver proceeded to take me in the opposite direction. After several protests by me and showing the driver my hotel on Google apps she said I entered the wrong address. A 5 minute ride took 25 minutes and I was charged for the mistake. I complained to Uber later and they said it was my fault. It is possible I entered the wrong address but I had entered the hotel address in my GPS several times that day while traveling to the hotel. I am dubious that I would have entered that different of an address. The driver did not confirm my destination when she picked me up and I have no way of verifying what address I entered to Uber. The worst part of the whole experience was Uber's arrogance when I complained afterwards. It is time to check out Lyft.
How so? You can look at the map during the ride and see where it’s taking you. I’d say the chances of Uber being wrong on this one is pretty much 0 since they log what you entered.