Which one: Lyft or Uber?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Which one: Lyft or Uber?

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Think it's time for me to get an account as it would be useful for my trips to NY. Are there major differences that I should be aware of? I assume it's easy to set up/use the apps.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Alexa9

Re: Which one: Lyft or Uber?

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Lyft is cheaper I believe. I can't really tell a difference. Uber may have more options: taxi/XL/Black. I would set up both just in case one is slow to find a driver.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Get both. It allows you to price compare. Both increase prices when demand outstrips supply but sometimes one is experience a higher surge in price than the other.

If you are going to NYC, download Via also. It's a shared ride where you might be with other passengers (like Uber pool) and it picks up and drops off at a nearby corner rather than right at your starting place/destination, but it's a lot cheaper.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Get both. Some drivers drive for both. Both sometimes run specials

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:50 pm

I use Uber exclusively although I have the Luft app too just in case. Two reasons. 1. Uber was the pioneer and without it maybe the whole concept wouldn't exist as they fought all the tough battles. 2. Lyft has taken political positions and emailed me about them and I don't like anything political in my life anymore.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Here's a side by side price comparison website

https://ride.guru/#home-hero

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Here's a side by side price comparison website

https://ride.guru/#home-hero

Do the "Check Availability & Compare Fares" link

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:50 pm
I use Uber exclusively although I have the Luft app too just in case. Two reasons. 1. Uber was the pioneer and without it maybe the whole concept wouldn't exist as they fought all the tough battles. 2. Lyft has taken political positions and emailed me about them and I don't like anything political in my life anymore.
Same here. There seems to be a lot of virtue signaling among the Lyft users I know.

Also, Lyft built tipping into their model from the get-go. I HATE tipping and was really disappointed when Uber picked it up also.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I have both apps and choose whatever is cheaper.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 pm
Exactly. They are pretty much the same. Lyft will send a 10% off for a week which will make me choose Lyft for the week.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm
Get both. It allows you to price compare. Both increase prices when demand outstrips supply but sometimes one is experience a higher surge in price than the other.

If you are going to NYC, download Via also. It's a shared ride where you might be with other passengers (like Uber pool) and it picks up and drops off at a nearby corner rather than right at your starting place/destination, but it's a lot cheaper.
Does Via still require payment in advance for a certain number of rides?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 pm

oxothuk wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Same here. There seems to be a lot of virtue signaling among the Lyft users I know.

Also, Lyft built tipping into their model from the get-go. I HATE tipping and was really disappointed when Uber picked it up also.
That's unfortunate for whomever drives you. Tips are what make it worthwhile for drivers, love or hate it. The compensation from Lyft/Uber is rather low.

I have spent some time behind the wheel for Lyft. To make a real living at it you'd need to work six twelve hour days.

SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Would you use either to take you and your spouse from home to the airport? What worries me is that because of the bidding process, possibly hundreds of potential drivers would learn that a couple needs a ride from your house to the airport and know the house will be unoccupied for some period of time. More of a concern than a single taxi driver and a dispatcher. Am I being paranoid?

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 pm

SpideyIndexer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 pm
Would you use either to take you and your spouse from home to the airport? What worries me is that because of the bidding process, possibly hundreds of potential drivers would learn that a couple needs a ride from your house to the airport and know the house will be unoccupied for some period of time. More of a concern than a single taxi driver and a dispatcher. Am I being paranoid?
I know at least with Uber, no driver knows your destination until they accept the ride/agree to pick you up, and then only that driver knows. I think you are being paranoid. Your destination isn't being broadcasted to every Uber driver in town.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 pm

SpideyIndexer wrote:
Uber has provided billions of rides. That is not an exaggeration. A quick Google search found 2 instances in the news of an Uber driver robbing someone's home after an airport pickup. One guy did it in CO in 2015 and one guy did it (several times) in DE in 2017. Surely there are more instances that were not picked up by the news or were never connected to the Uber driver, but in the sea of billions of rides, the odds of this happening to you are incredibly small.

So yes, I think you are being paranoid.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 am

bsteiner wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm
Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Does Via still require payment in advance for a certain number of rides?
To get the best rates, yes you have to load your account with $s and then pay for your rides from those $s. I have mine set to auto reload another $25 when my account gets low.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 am

Uber is way better than Lyft

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:39 am

I've seen drivers (Uber) pull up with a Lyft sign on the dashboard. Many work for both.

I've only used Uber (probably around 20 times), largely due to some credits I get. I wanted to try Lyft but have yet to do so.

Are taxis ever any cheaper than Uber during surge pricing?

I got sick of dealing with dirty taxis and drivers trying to steal money from you, especially in LV, so since they weren't policing themselves, I've taken my business elsewhere.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks folks....is tipping included in the ride charge?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

engin33r

Post by engin33r » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 am

novemberrain wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 am
Can you be more specific? I find them to be virtually identical but with Lyft I often get friendlier drivers and a slightly better fare.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 am

J295 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm
Get both. Some drivers drive for both. Both sometimes run specials
True, most drivers here in the Chicago area will drive for both, no real difference imho. A fare difference may occur when they implement surge pricing.

For tipping, uber will ask you at the end of ride if you want to include a tip. I never add it here and give cash directly to the driver ensuring they get the full amount. It's always appreciated.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am

oxothuk wrote:
Good Listener wrote:

I have the opposite view. I travel a lot and have used these Apps frequently for many years.
I have both installed/ready but always try Lyft first. I have always found the Lyft App works FAR better (although Uber is catching up) in numerous ways (if I search by hotel name mine is listed in Lyft; with Uber I find myself having to find and type in an address many times / Lyft seems to do a better job estimating how long until your ride shows up / etc.). Also - I have had Uber drivers cancel on me numerous times - which was the original reason I switched to Lyft - never had that happen with Lyft (could be coincidence but ...). These are the two primary reasons I have used Lyft - better service and better App.
The issues you bring up are minor to me but:
Regarding tips - Lyft had a nice and consistent tipping model from the beginning. Uber kept changing their minds and for a long time didn't have tipping in their App and yet the driver expected a cash tip (defeating the whole purpose of using the App and not having to have cash). They went from "no tipping" to "well, maybe - take your chances if you don't have cash on getting a bad passenger score" to "okay, let's do it".
I have never gotten a political email from Lyft and I use them alot (so I'm confused there; are you sure they are coming from Lyft?). Nor have I investigated the political views of either company. From what I recall Uber is the one that had some pretty shady political history a couple of years back causing many (particularly females; quick google search finds many references on this: https://www.inc.com/salvador-rodriguez/ ... eline.html) to switch to Lyft. But not as important to me....

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 am

I like them both, but use Lyft more since they tend to be a little cheaper. And it seems like i pretty often get emails with "25% off for a week" when I tip using the Lyft App. Might be the same with Uber, I'm not sure.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am

I have used Uber several times and all trips were good except the last one. I called Uber to take me to my hotel 2 miles away.The Uber driver proceeded to take me in the opposite direction. After several protests by me and showing the driver my hotel on Google apps she said I entered the wrong address. A 5 minute ride took 25 minutes and I was charged for the mistake. I complained to Uber later and they said it was my fault. It is possible I entered the wrong address but I had entered the hotel address in my GPS several times that day while traveling to the hotel. I am dubious that I would have entered that different of an address. The driver did not confirm my destination when she picked me up and I have no way of verifying what address I entered to Uber. The worst part of the whole experience was Uber's arrogance when I complained afterwards. It is time to check out Lyft.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 pm
oxothuk wrote:
Good Listener wrote:

That's unfortunate for whomever drives you. Tips are what make it worthwhile for drivers, love or hate it. The compensation from Lyft/Uber is rather low.

I have spent some time behind the wheel for Lyft. To make a real living at it you'd need to work six twelve hour days.
+1 I have friends who drive uber. Without a tip its actually a money loser... as are many service industry and gig economy jobs :(

As to lyft pushing politics... well Uber basically ignored the law in most markets they pushed into, beat out competition with shady business practices, and was a poster child for corporate/management bad behavior and abuse. Id rather not support either one of them with my hard earned money.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 am

I've used both Lyft and Uber and never had a problem with either but in the U.S. and international (Uber). In NYC, I used Juno and it also worked well.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:22 am

engin33r wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 am
novemberrain wrote:
Can you be more specific? I find them to be virtually identical but with Lyft I often get friendlier drivers and a slightly better fare.
I've used both for years and emphatically say that Lyft is way better than Uber.
Here are my reasons:
1) Uber drivers have canceled out on me many times. They have a reputation for this (there are some lawsuits actually). I've never had the problem with Lyft.
2) Lyft's App is better at locations/navigation. I show up late at night and start typing in my hotel name - it comes up in Lyft. In Uber I need to go to Google - Look up the hotel - and then copy/paste the address in Uber (multiple times have had this issue). I also travel frequently to one particular place from an airport. Uber takes the longer route; Lyft sends drivers through the shortcut route.
3) Lyft's App is better at timings. With Uber it says my ride will be there in 4 minutes then they don't show up until 12 minutes. Lyft isn't always perfect but seems more accurate. My suspicion is that Uber estimates low for the people that actually take a second to check both apps to see who will show up quicker (The joke's on them when they go with Uber for this reason because Uber's timing is usually off).
4) Lyft has had a consistent/better tipping policy. Uber can't make up its mind.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am
Thanks folks....is tipping included in the ride charge?
After the ride is done you can select a tip in the App. With Lyft it has been consistent and easy - your app pops up at the end of the trip saying your trip is done and it has tip selections (none, $2, $3, $5, $6) - you just click one, click a driver rating, and your done. You get a receipt emailed to you that shows the total with the trip/tip breakdown and a picture of the driver and route taken.
Uber has changed the way tipping works several times and I'm not sure if I used them (Been a couple of months; using mostly Lyft recently) since they last updated the app so hate to state how theirs currently works.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am

I have used both Uber and Lyft, and I find them almost identical as far as pricing and service. However, Uber has rolled out a new option this year called “Express Pool”, which is about half the price of a normal Pool. It involves walking a few blocks to a pickup point instead of being picked up at your front door, and then possibly waiting a few minutes for the ride to show up. It sounds like it is one step above riding the bus, but it is an intriguing cheap option I hope to try out soon. An especially good option if there are no bus stops near you.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 am

I have both on my phone. Sometimes I get promotions (40% of Uber lately) so I use whatever one has the better promotion. If the quoted rate seems high, I check the other app. To me, they are virtually identical in function. Uber has had more bad publicity.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 am

SpideyIndexer wrote:
Put in a neighbor's address or get picked up on the corner if you are that worried. The driver doesn't know if everyone living in the house went out of town.

pmj78910

Post by pmj78910 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 am

I agree with getting both apps on your phone. It only takes a few seconds to compare the estimated fares on both. Plus, occasionally one will have "surge" fare pricing while the other has standard rates. For what it's worth, empirically I have found Lyft to be slightly cheaper overall.

For those Amex Platinum holders, you get $200 in Uber credits per year.
I think Lyft has a partnership with Delta Airlines.

gretah

Post by gretah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am

Lyft.

Uber has a history of treating women like dirt at its corporate office.

Lyft is the pioneer of ride sharing, not Uber. There's an interesting NPR show about Lyft on the How I Built This podcast. Scroll back - it was aired awhile ago.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am

We used to use Uber almost exclusively, but have switched to Lyft. It's not really for any difference in the ride or prices. Uber has become pretty famous for the immoral business practices they follow, although maybe they are turning that around now. That's our main reason for going with Lyft.

I really think more drivers drive for both than for just one. I think a couple of years ago drivers would tell us they prefer Lyft, but that was back when Uber didn't facilitate a tip. As others have said, we just tipped cash. Now it seems that drivers don't have much of a preference, although some seem to suggest they feel screwed over by Uber.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Lyft

Have used Uber in the past and had lots of issues with drivers accepting, I’d wait a few minutes then the driver would cancel the ride.

I’ve also found lyft drivers to be friendlier overall and safer drivers. Have had several frightening experiences in UBer hardly any with lyft

mneumann

Post by mneumann » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Myself and some colleagues have gotten in some pretty crap cars (smelly, poor condition) and were once speaking with a driver who drives for both services. They indicated that the vehicle inspection process was much stricter with Lyft. Uber was more interested that you had a car from a certain model year that held a certain number of people while Lyft actually wanted to inspect the car.

I have no idea if this was, is, or is still true. I mainly use uber because the cars usually come faster in my area. I have noticed that every time I've had a less than perfect car pick me up, they've never had a Lyft sticker, even though at least 50% of the cars I take have both stickers.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Lyft is the winner for me (although I do have both - switch to Uber if Lyft is unavailable somewhere).
Uber cancels rides willy-nilly, their App isn't as good; they take longer routes sometimes (seem to always favor major highways); poor history with woman at corporate and woman drivers; mixed-messages about tipping.

I don't know what the posters are talking about above concerning Lyft sending them political messages. I have over 200 emails in my inbox from Lyft; most are receipts while some are special promotions and credits - one or two inviting me to be a driver - none are political. Sounds like some people are getting SPAM and think its from Lyft when it really isn't.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:35 pm

engin33r wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 am
novemberrain wrote:
Sure. Uber is better than lyft in these ways
1. More number of drivers. Meaning shorter wait times
2. Better ETA. So if they say they will arrive in 5 minutes, they will most likely arrive in 5 minutes and not 15
3. Uber Maps is very good nowadays
4. Uber express pool prices can't be beat
5. Uber Eats

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm

LIke others have mentioned, I have Uber/Lyft/Juno (NYC) installed and just pick whichever is cheaper. Sometimes the difference is 10 to 20%.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 pm
Same here. Usually is Lyft. Timing might be another reason if hurried.
I don't care about their politics.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm
Think it's time for me to get an account as it would be useful for my trips to NY. Are there major differences that I should be aware of? I assume it's easy to set up/use the apps.
The other links above can hash out the differences/preferences. I've used both of many years and in many cities; you can't say that one is consistently more expensive than the other because the price variability can be pretty extreme at times.

The one thing I'd add if you're going to be using ride shares in NYC is Groundlink. You can put in your flight information and they'll meet you at the airport accordingly. For airports, it gives you another option.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 pm

For NYC don't forget the trains! Depending where you're going, Subway / LIRR / PATH can often be much faster than anything on the roads.

Edit: If you're bike inclined, Uber also has Jump bikes (e-bikes) in NYC.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Lyft.

It is not even close. Drivers get better pay from Lyft (I have asked drivers many times). Easy to tip via credit card. No hassle.

Uber....you just never know what you get. Kind of like that box of chocolates. :happy
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Both.

hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:46 am

Definitely get both apps. In general I have a better experience with lyft since the drivers tend to be happier and lyft has higher (or at least had) higher standards for the drivers and cars. Lyft also offsets the carbon pollution from the ride. If the price is meaningfully lower or a driver much closer I use uber though.