TV recommendation for my father

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TN_Boy

Re: TV recommendation for my father

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 am
It sounds like the interaction b/t your father and the tv is the sticky widget here. Maybe a simple, programmable remote like this might help.

https://www.amazon.com/Tek-Pal-Button-R ... 5169&psc=1

Disclaimer: I've never used this or any other product like it. Just a simple google search. That particular brand might be a lemon, but surely there is something out there that fits your needs.
What I have seen "senior citizens" have the most problem with is the interaction with cable box and TV. Sometimes the cable box needs rebooting. Or they hit the cable box button on the remote (thereby turning it off ....and it needs to be turned back on, and sometimes there is a delay while it restarts and syncs). Or they hit buttons on the remote while the remote is .... pointed at the floor. It's kinda surprising how much trouble seniors can have with these things. In general, a solution that keeps them from messing with the cable box might be worth considering. Not needing a cable box would also make that easier, but that's very difficult nowdays.

The problem with the linked device is the lack of direct input for the channel. If you have 40+ channels, hitting + a few dozen times gets old.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 pm

The problem with the linked device is the lack of direct input for the channel. If you have 40+ channels, hitting + a few dozen times gets old.
If I were setting up a system for an elderly parent, I'd probably change the TV package to limit the number of channels so they aren't having to work their way through 40+ channels.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 am

Pay attention to the audio warnings. After not having one for 20+ years, I bought a small TV recently solely to watch MP4s off a USB stick or laptop while exercising. First surprise was the lack of standard audio jack for headphones, probably the first home audio-playing device I've had in 50 years without a jack. It had never even occurred to me to check before buying. It had only a fiber optic output requiring a sound bar, home media system, or clumsy adapter costing a significant percentage of the cheap TV, and which broke after a few months. Second surprise were the bizarrely useless speakers. Since 19" TVs are now considered tiny devices to stick in, idunno, bathrooms, I've no idea how they expected people to use it.

Seriously, I know several elderly people without relatives or nursing home staff within easy access who've eventually stopped watching personal TVs because they can't operate them.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:47 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 pm
If I were setting up a system for an elderly parent, I'd probably change the TV package to limit the number of channels so they aren't having to work their way through 40+ channels.
Every cable package I've seen has dozens of channels. I literally don't know how I would get a 10 channel package, for example.

Now, sometimes you can setup the TV or the cable box to skip channels, so you could possibly have a situation where you only had a few key ones to scroll through.

But as I said, what I see the most is trouble with the cable box and the TV both sometimes needing button pushing. But it seems like you always need a cable box of some kind (at least in my area) to allow usage of digital channels. Even if the TV can handle the digital signal -- the cable company wants that money ....

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:12 am

Is your dad vision impaired? A SD picture on a 50”+ TV is going to look horrible. And absolutely have black bands on the sides of the picture.

Nearly all modern TV’s are “smart”. You don’t need to turn on the smart feature. Just use it like a normal TV.

I would measure the room to figure out what size he really can use, go to Costco and get the one that’s the right size (if you just try to eyeball it, you’ll bring home a TV that’s much too large). Get a simple universal remote that he can manage, and convince him to upgrade to HD. If my dad could figure out the cable box dance, anyone’s dad can.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:12 am
Is your dad vision impaired? A SD picture on a 50”+ TV is going to look horrible. And absolutely have black bands on the sides of the picture.

Nearly all modern TV’s are “smart”. You don’t need to turn on the smart feature. Just use it like a normal TV.

I would measure the room to figure out what size he really can use, go to Costco and get the one that’s the right size (if you just try to eyeball it, you’ll bring home a TV that’s much too large). Get a simple universal remote that he can manage, and convince him to upgrade to HD. If my dad could figure out the cable box dance, anyone’s dad can.
" If my dad could figure out the cable box dance, anyone’s dad can."

Unfortunately no. I surmise you have not spent a lot of time visiting people in senior living facilities.

The rest of your post I agree with :D