Budget Coffee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Murgatroyd
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Murgatroyd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Sams has 40 ounce whole bean Caribou medium for I think 17.88. You can grind it there too.

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 2596
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I've fallen in love with Seattles Best...I get 2 12oz bags @ Publix for $6.99. Also Marshalls sells coffee cheap.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

02nz
Posts: 4986
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by 02nz » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Just found a Kirkland Signature Organic Whole Bean Blend at Costco, 2 lbs for $10. It's advertised as medium dark roast, but may be a bit closer to medium (looks like they mixed some lighter-roasted beans in there). I liked it a lot and preferred it to the other whole beans I've tried from Costco, and this one is actually the cheapest.

Vanguard Fan 1367
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:45 am

Slacker wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:50 pm
megabad wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 pm
Pete12 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 pm
Aldi donut shop blend whole bean coffee- $5 per pound and outstanding for the price!
I would buy Aldi coffee but they don't sell this in ground and I am too lazy to grind my own coffee. I switched to Simple Truth now. I can buy it on sale for maybe $6. I actually prefer it over some of the "hipster" local stuff.
I drink cheap coffee, but Aldi's coffee (forget which two I tried) was not to my liking. I think their medium roast had kind of a sour note on the after taste and I always drink my coffee black (no sugar, no cream) so it stands out to me.

I like the "Eight O'Clock" brand carried at most Kroger stores. About the same price as Aldi's coffee normally and you can often find sales that make it cheaper than Aldi's. I picked up 12oz bags 2 for $5.50 on sale not too long ago.

I also like the Kirkland signature whole beans, but it is a lot of coffee for me to go through before it starts to have the flavor quality change. A little darker roast than the Eight O'clock.
I like whole bean Eight O Clock brand coffee. Budget friendly and tastes great to me and my wife.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

RobLyons
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by RobLyons » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:44 am

Wife likes dunkin' donuts k-cups and I go with the cheapest dark roast k-cups on amazon which ends up being caza trail and solimo. The run 30-35 cents per cup.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

iamblessed
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by iamblessed » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:30 am

02nz wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm
Just found a Kirkland Signature Organic Whole Bean Blend at Costco, 2 lbs for $10. It's advertised as medium dark roast, but may be a bit closer to medium (looks like they mixed some lighter-roasted beans in there). I liked it a lot and preferred it to the other whole beans I've tried from Costco, and this one is actually the cheapest.
I buy the cheapest organic. I like them the best.

User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:42 pm

I went through the "semi-fancy whole bean coffee" phase for awhile. Thought Aldi was good for the price, and can second 8 O'Clock.

But nowadays? Kroger Breakfast Blend, ground, in a big ol' can. I save money and time, and to my untrained palate, it's actually quite good.
Stay on target...

Vanguard Fan 1367
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:54 pm

I like this "budget" coffee grinder, it is fast and easy to use. I think that grinding the beans gives superior taste.https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM- ... 182&sr=8-8
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4518
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I buy Costco brand Sumatran whole bean coffee. Two, 3 pound bags for about $45, including shipping.

Sometimes I buy the Costco brand Costa Rican coffee, it is a few dollars cheaper.

DW likes Donut Shop or Neuman's Own K-cups.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11041
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "budget" coffee if I only have one cup the morning.
Grind beans in a burr grinder then french press.
Mail order direct from the Kona Plantation. (free shipping).

KoaCoffee Kona Peaberry Whole Bean Coffee
https://www.koacoffee.com/p/pure-kona-c ... -bean-kona

I drank the most budget of coffees from a jumbo thermos on construction job sites, etc, for many decades.
Folgers then Kona Blend Grind (freely available in Hawaii)
Tried the K cups when that came out but it was too expensive.

Tried 8 oClock whole beans but seems a bit bitter.

Now retired. . .and moved to very flavorful Kona Peaberry Beans. :happy
Although $80/pound is a bit steep.
Anyone know what tastes similar but is cheaper?

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11041
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:19 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:28 pm
as long as it is wet and has caffeine - I am very happy.
Went through that stage for many many decades! :D :D

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Superleaf444
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Superleaf444 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Kirkland (Costco brand) and Chock Full O Nuts are my go to budget coffees

Arabesque
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Arabesque » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Wegmans Dark Roast is 2.99/12 ounces. You have to pay 4-5 times that for better

User avatar
windaar
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:31 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by windaar » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 pm

Just get Bustelo and be done with it! Cheap, tasty, and wakes you up!
Nobody knows nothing.

JeffAL
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by JeffAL » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:52 pm


User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 56th and Wabasha, Ashtabula, OH

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Nicolas » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:19 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:16 pm
Tried the K cups when that came out but it was too expensive.
Also bad for the environment, most go straight to the landfill.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Arabesque wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:37 pm
Wegmans Dark Roast is 2.99/12 ounces. You have to pay 4-5 times that for better
I promise to try it when Wegmans finishes building their new store 1.5 miles from my home. The construction is moving along, but is nowhere near complete.

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Cubicle » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 pm

I am a huge fan of Aldi's coffees. The k-cup breakfast blend is highly appreciated by a sibling. I highly praise their ground & instant coffee.

The regular plain varieties. I have not tried any of their single source or flavored coffees (bacon, burbon, etc...)
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Costco always has several excellent 2 lb bags of whole bean coffees from quality companies for $10-14 bucks a bag. Sometimes as low as 8-9 bucks for 2 lbs when on sale.

squirm
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by squirm » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:52 pm

store brand coffee, seems to work well for me.

EddyB
Posts: 1362
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by EddyB » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm

Jazzysoon wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:17 pm
Peets Major Dickasons - Target usually has it on sale for 7.99/12 oz. Roasted date printed on front of bag.
OP said light roast, and that’s dark even by Peet’s standards (which are from a different time).

Wannaretireearly
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:14 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:38 pm
Costco always has several excellent 2 lb bags of whole bean coffees from quality companies for $10-14 bucks a bag. Sometimes as low as 8-9 bucks for 2 lbs when on sale.
Dunkin donuts on sale at costco. Various biased tests at home prove it's the best coffee that costco sells
Buy Low, Sell High

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:01 am

Wannaretireearly wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:14 am
jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:38 pm
Costco always has several excellent 2 lb bags of whole bean coffees from quality companies for $10-14 bucks a bag. Sometimes as low as 8-9 bucks for 2 lbs when on sale.
Dunkin donuts on sale at costco. Various biased tests at home prove it's the best coffee that costco sells
I'm partial to their Mayorga brand Cuban Roast myself. Costco is an excellent source of fresh high quality whole bean coffees (pre-ground also) at really great prices.

02nz
Posts: 4986
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by 02nz » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:16 pm
Tried the K cups when that came out but it was too expensive.
Also bad for the environment, most go straight to the landfill.
Even the guy who invented K-cups feels guilty: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... er-did-it/

Nespresso is not the last word in great coffee and it's rather pricey, but it tastes pretty good, is super convenient, and has a good recycling program (prepaid bags for used capsules). Much better than K-cups in every way.

Vanguard Fan 1367
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:07 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:45 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:16 pm
Tried the K cups when that came out but it was too expensive.
Also bad for the environment, most go straight to the landfill.
Even the guy who invented K-cups feels guilty: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... er-did-it/

Nespresso is not the last word in great coffee and it's rather pricey, but it tastes pretty good, is super convenient, and has a good recycling program (prepaid bags for used capsules). Much better than K-cups in every way.
Thanks for the article. My wife loves her K-Cups. I read her some of the article and I don't think she will quit using them! :(
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Hogan773
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Hogan773 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Wow I gotta say that I just went and opened up the little French press carafe that I had asked for for Xmas and used it for the first time

Much better cup of coffee!

I think once I use up my current stash of K-Cups I am going to "cut the cord" on the Keurig machine and just buy regular bean coffee. Yes it takes a whole 5 mins, but I can budget that time into my life in the name of much tastier coffee, CHEAPER coffee, and less crazy environmental waste from all those little K-cups. I already spend time every week or two opening up the little cups to get the coffee out and throw in on my garden so now I won't have to do that...I can just dump the grounds from the French press into a container easily so some of my lost time returns

ballons
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by ballons » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:35 pm

How in the hell is $16/lb "budget?"

Warehouse clubs have 50oz cans for $10 meaning $3.33/lb for Folgers, Maxwell, or their respective house brands. Can't tell the difference in flavor.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11041
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:50 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:16 pm
Wow I gotta say that I just went and opened up the little French press carafe that I had asked for for Xmas and used it for the first time

Much better cup of coffee!

I think once I use up my current stash of K-Cups I am going to "cut the cord" on the Keurig machine and just buy regular bean coffee. Yes it takes a whole 5 mins, but I can budget that time into my life in the name of much tastier coffee, CHEAPER coffee, and less crazy environmental waste from all those little K-cups. I already spend time every week or two opening up the little cups to get the coffee out and throw in on my garden so now I won't have to do that...I can just dump the grounds from the French press into a container easily so some of my lost time returns
DW was glad free up countertop space after that huge Keurig machine left the house. (gave to son)
I tried all sorts of the K cups and also the filter cup thing that you put your own coffee. It never matched pure ground Kona Beans in a Fwench Press that I was used to in Hawaii, where even McDonalds serves Kona Coffee.

The French Press carafe seems to change or enchance the flavor and body of coffee vs drip or such.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by galawdawg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Another vote for Eight O'Clock whole bean coffee.

Hogan773
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Hogan773 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm

So now that I am going to be Mr French Press, what does everyone use for a burr grinder? I am a value guy. Seems like lots of places tout this Baratza Encore as the best, and it is $139. Anyone have good luck with something more in the $50 range? Maybe even a good performing manual grinder? I am only likely to need to grind a few handfuls per day as I am the only coffee drinker

User avatar
tvubpwcisla
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by tvubpwcisla » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Lukin is deeply budgeted right now.

:oops:
Stay invested my friends.

TSR
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by TSR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:36 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm
So now that I am going to be Mr French Press, what does everyone use for a burr grinder? I am a value guy. Seems like lots of places tout this Baratza Encore as the best, and it is $139. Anyone have good luck with something more in the $50 range? Maybe even a good performing manual grinder? I am only likely to need to grind a few handfuls per day as I am the only coffee drinker
I think the value choice is the Capresso Infiniti in black. I use mine every weekend and can tell you it does what it's supposed to do. It's a bit more than your $50, but a bit under the $139. https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Infinit ... 168&sr=1-3

Caboose
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Caboose » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 pm

This is great coffee - all organic and their light roast is Breakfast Blend - enjoy!
https://riseupcoffee.com/product-category/coffee/
"Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have" - America

User avatar
JAZZISCOOL
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Colorado - 5,700 ft.

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:16 pm
Tried the K cups when that came out but it was too expensive.
Also bad for the environment, most go straight to the landfill.
+1

The main reason I don't have a Keurig.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11041
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:21 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm
So now that I am going to be Mr French Press, what does everyone use for a burr grinder? I am a value guy. Seems like lots of places tout this Baratza Encore as the best, and it is $139. Anyone have good luck with something more in the $50 range? Maybe even a good performing manual grinder? I am only likely to need to grind a few handfuls per day as I am the only coffee drinker
If just enough for 1-2 cups, this is simple and works dependably. Grind size is adjustable.
Java Presse Manual Coffee Grinder Conical Burr Stainless.
$43.99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Makes even budget coffee beans taste richer.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

jlawrence01
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Cubicle wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 pm
I am a huge fan of Aldi's coffees. The k-cup breakfast blend is highly appreciated by a sibling. I highly praise their ground & instant coffee.

The regular plain varieties. I have not tried any of their single source or flavored coffees (bacon, burbon, etc...)
ALDI's medium roast coffees from Germany are quite good and they are about $6 per pound.

My preference is for Community Coffee's dark roast. The best deals from CC are available on their website.

Turbo29
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Turbo29 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Jose's Organic Mayan Blend, medium dark roast at Costco. Price is about $4.20/lb (comes in a 40oz bag).

Brewing some right now.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

finite_difference
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by finite_difference » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:13 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:28 pm
as long as it is wet and has caffeine - I am very happy.
For what it is worth, DW just seconded this opinion.
:D
Generally speaking, I think this is true, but not in all cases. I am not a coffee snob. For example, I think Starbucks is good.

However, low-grade American coffee, the kind which used to be found pretty much everywhere, can be really bad. Acid-like, runny, sour, vile-tasting brew. If you put enough sugar and cream in it, then it’s drinkable. I’d still drink it if desperate enough. But nowadays thankfully you’re much less likely to encounter it.

I don’t know if it was the old instant coffees, or Folgers or what.

I think the Kirkland brand Costco coffee is pretty good.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm
So now that I am going to be Mr French Press, what does everyone use for a burr grinder? I am a value guy. Seems like lots of places tout this Baratza Encore as the best, and it is $139. Anyone have good luck with something more in the $50 range? Maybe even a good performing manual grinder? I am only likely to need to grind a few handfuls per day as I am the only coffee drinker
The Wirecutter is a solid reference for burr grinders:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... e-grinder/

To me the encore is worth it even if you’re the only one drinking.

If you really want to get the most out of your coffee look into pour over as well:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/gear- ... at-coffee/

You can get a pour over dropper for not much more than $20 and it will complement your French press nicely. Some coffees will taste better out of the Press, others the Pourover.

Hogan773
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Hogan773 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 pm
Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm
So now that I am going to be Mr French Press, what does everyone use for a burr grinder? I am a value guy. Seems like lots of places tout this Baratza Encore as the best, and it is $139. Anyone have good luck with something more in the $50 range? Maybe even a good performing manual grinder? I am only likely to need to grind a few handfuls per day as I am the only coffee drinker
The Wirecutter is a solid reference for burr grinders:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... e-grinder/

To me the encore is worth it even if you’re the only one drinking.

If you really want to get the most out of your coffee look into pour over as well:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/gear- ... at-coffee/

You can get a pour over dropper for not much more than $20 and it will complement your French press nicely. Some coffees will taste better out of the Press, others the Pourover.
Do you grind fresh every day or grind several days' worth and put it into an airtight bag or something?

Turbo29
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Turbo29 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:14 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 pm

However, low-grade American coffee, the kind which used to be found pretty much everywhere, can be really bad. Acid-like, runny, sour, vile-tasting brew. If you put enough sugar and cream in it, then it’s drinkable. I’d still drink it if desperate enough. But nowadays thankfully you’re much less likely to encounter it.

I don’t know if it was the old instant coffees, or Folgers or what.

I think the Kirkland brand Costco coffee is pretty good.
Folgers used to run an ad where they allegedly went into fine restaurants and replaced the coffee with their instant.
Saturday Night Live did a skit on it once.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... tals/n9212
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 6346
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Kenkat » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Great Value (Wal-Mart house brand) 100% Arabica Columbian Medium Dark $2.98 / 11.3 oz. Surprisingly good for the price.

mdavis6890
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by mdavis6890 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 pm

I second roasting your own. Quicker than going out to buy it, available any time, always fresh, much cheaper and MUCH MUCH better than anything you can buy without going to a fancy boutique place and spending $16+ for a half pound.

You can buy 5-10 lbs of green coffee and it keeps forever. Roasted coffee is stale in two weeks tops.

Please roast your own.

Vanguard Fan 1367
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:24 pm

mdavis6890 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 pm
I second roasting your own. Quicker than going out to buy it, available any time, always fresh, much cheaper and MUCH MUCH better than anything you can buy without going to a fancy boutique place and spending $16+ for a half pound.

You can buy 5-10 lbs of green coffee and it keeps forever. Roasted coffee is stale in two weeks tops.

Please roast your own.
Where are you finding your 5-10 pounds of green coffee that is "much cheaper" than anything you can buy...?
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

mdavis6890
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by mdavis6890 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Sweet Maria’s is where I buy mine. I get the eight pound sampler (8 different one pound bags) for about $50 including shipping. I’m sure there are other places.

Socal77
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Socal77 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Gevalia.

This: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gevalia-Hous ... g/47333607

Or their other type of your choice. https://www.gevalia.com/bagged-coffee/

Around 10 bucks for 20 oz at Target or Walmart.

Extremely good for the price.

Trader Joe
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:10 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 pm
I tend to like light roasts and spend ~$16 / lb whole beans but got some New England Coffee the other day at about $6 / lb and didn't think it was all that bad. I'll probably stick with the local higher end stuff but am curious to try more of the cheap stuff.

What do you all like for coffee say under $10 / lb?
Great Value (Walmart) Instant Coffee:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... z/10315303

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 pm
Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm
So now that I am going to be Mr French Press, what does everyone use for a burr grinder? I am a value guy. Seems like lots of places tout this Baratza Encore as the best, and it is $139. Anyone have good luck with something more in the $50 range? Maybe even a good performing manual grinder? I am only likely to need to grind a few handfuls per day as I am the only coffee drinker
The Wirecutter is a solid reference for burr grinders:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... e-grinder/

To me the encore is worth it even if you’re the only one drinking.

If you really want to get the most out of your coffee look into pour over as well:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/gear- ... at-coffee/

You can get a pour over dropper for not much more than $20 and it will complement your French press nicely. Some coffees will taste better out of the Press, others the Pourover.
Do you grind fresh every day or grind several days' worth and put it into an airtight bag or something?
Grind fresh every day. Grinding only takes maybe 20 seconds, there’s no reason I can see to grind in bulk and then store.

In fact for best taste you’re supposed to grind as close to brew time as possible. Typically I grind them immediacy dump into the French press or pour over and pour hot water immediately.

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm

mdavis6890 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 pm
I second roasting your own. Quicker than going out to buy it, available any time, always fresh, much cheaper and MUCH MUCH better than anything you can buy without going to a fancy boutique place and spending $16+ for a half pound.

You can buy 5-10 lbs of green coffee and it keeps forever. Roasted coffee is stale in two weeks tops.

Please roast your own.
Roasting your own is a huge pain in the behind though. Plus aren’t the fumes toxic if your roast a whole lot?

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Budget Coffee

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:46 pm

That dark dank scary little tank of hot water in the Keurig machine? Reminds me of why I never drank airplane coffee - the hot water coming out of a hidden tank embedded in the galley wall. 35 years of flying, never saw a flight attendant drinking that stuff.

Post Reply