My life saved by New subaru. Almost died.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jayk238

My life saved by New subaru. Almost died.

Post by jayk238 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am

I hope this story meets criteria.

I recently purchased subaru outback w all bells whistles. I asked for advice here and appreciate it.

Yesterday i was driving high way and pulled up to crest of a small hill. The road is a part of the city. I was driving early am to shoot an Ad for tv. Almost to the top while driving at speed limit I saw vehicles no more than 10 yards fully stopped. I braked hard to no avail. Approx 1 yard from ahead car my dash started blinking red -imminent collision detected or something- and then came to a screeching halt. Probably 6 inches from impact.

Thinking I was about to die I felt safer and my hands start shaking. I look up and in rear view mirror see 3 vehicles barreling down and start panicking. I know I dont have time to reverse but look to my right for an exit. Just then those three cars, likely wo my tech, fill that empty road to my right. They all must have swerved their regular braking too having failed. Screeching sounds the entire way. Just awful. My life flashed before me. Hands shaking I go to the shoot. Oddly calm the entire time for my first ever shoot. I guess near death gives perspective.

I am lucky I have this car. I am lucky the road to right was empty. Somebody was looking over me. The subaru was to come this Friday. Fortunate for me it came a week early. I am damn lucky.

People have said the safety stuff is superfluous. I dont care. It saved me. Love my outback 18 3.6 touring. Im probably a lifer unless the next gen is permanently going away with the 255 hp (which they might). I know next years refresh does away with it

Could I have slowed at crest. Sure. Shoulda coulda woulda. Moral of story-every bit of help is good!

Whats your take on your safety features?
If anyone cares im happy to share my negotiating process. I dont think I got best deal ever but the best one in my area.

celia

Re: My life saved by New subaru. Almost died.

Post by celia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 am

Did other cars collide? Or did everyone end up braking? If they were newer cars, they probably had automatic braking systems too (or slowed down a bit while climbing the hill).

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 am

I hope I was one that preached for such eyesight... love ours.
4nursebee

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am

I’m glad you’re safe but I don’t understand how if you started braking hard before the system said you were approaching an object too fast how the system helped?

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am

My niece is alive because her old Subaru Baja sacrificed itself in a very similar situation but two Semi-trailer truck hit her little car-truck. The structure of the vehicle absorbed the entire impact and was 100% destroyed (exploded into tiny pieces like you see in NASCAR, the engine was actually laying 50 yards away when all came to rest) but the cabin structure was retained. She and her passengers walked away with only glass cuts and shaking hands...

It is not just the electronic doo-dads, it is also the very good crash protection designed into vehicles since within the past 25 years.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am

jayk238 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am
Just then those three cars, likely wo my tech, fill that empty road to my right. They all must have swerved their regular braking too having failed. Screeching sounds the entire way. Just awful.
Yikes. Did they all die?

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

Glad your Subaru braked in time to prevent you from hitting someone. But your story also illustrates that what we really need to prevent getting killed is that the other guy is driving a vehicle with emergency braking; you probably owe your life to the fact that there was a way they could steer away from smacking into you. Luck is always the best safety device. The stuff in your car isn't really that important in the larger scheme of things.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am

Your car was able to stop in 10 yards? If so that hardly would have been a deadly collision for just about any modern car but don't doubt that automatic braking saved you from rear ending another car. Something about the distances in your story don't add up.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Pretty much every manufacturer offers automatic emergency braking as standard or an option, nothing all that special about Subaru.

While features like this are good, having a well engineered chassis that protects the vehicle’s occupants if the accident is unavoidable is crucial. Some vehicles are safer than others and have stronger safety cages and better crumple zones than others. Honda and Subaru have the best engineered chassis from a safety perspective in the low price segment. Mercedes, BMW and Volvo are the most advanced at the higher end of the spectrum

Unfortunately I was in a similar situation to you except the line of cars stopped in front of me was clear as night and day, I saw them and came to a stop as normal. The guy behind me driving a box truck wasn’t paying attention and plowed into me at full speed, pushing my car into a pickup truck which hit another car. There was no possible way for me to avoid it. Because of the rigid chassis and use of ultra high strength steel in strategic places, my little 3.5k lb BMW 3 series saved me from a 28k lbs cargo truck traveling at highway speed. I do have some back issues as a result, but it could have been far worse

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm

You were saved by an autonomous emergency braking system. It just happened to be installed in a Subaru. A Corolla would've performed the same deed. This will be standard feature on vehicles in 2022. AEB is the next ESC which was the next TPMS which was the next ABS and so on and so forth. AEB is top on my list of safety equipment for my next vehicle above other "safety sense" systems like blind spot monitoring and collision avoidance.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am
I’m glad you’re safe but I don’t understand how if you started braking hard before the system said you were approaching an object too fast how the system helped?
Humans are generally pretty slow to feel the resistance of the pedal and apply full braking pressure. Before sensor-based vehicle collision detection systems the previous best thing was “emergency braking assist” where if you stepped on the pedal hard and fast enough, the car would take over and apply the maximum braking force possible.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

All the times when I've almost died, I've actually almost died. Lol.

Glad to hear the autonomous emergency braking works in a pinch. I do wish it wouldn't go off from approaching vehicles on narrow roads.

JT

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks for sharing.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks for sharing. I will forward to my DW. She is thinking about a Porsche Macan. I suggested her a loaded Subaru Outback at 1/2 of the price of a base Macan.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm

jayk238 wrote:
Almost to the top while driving at speed limit I saw vehicles no more than 10 yards fully stopped. I braked hard to no avail. Approx 1 yard from ahead car my dash started blinking red -imminent collision detected or something- and then came to a screeching halt. Probably 6 inches from impact.

I look up and in rear view mirror see 3 vehicles barreling down and start panicking. Just then those three cars, likely wo my tech, fill that empty road to my right. They all must have swerved their regular braking too having failed.
I'm a bit confused by your story...
You were driving at the speed limit and saw cars fully stopped 30 feet ahead. What speed were you driving at the time?

You "braked hard to no avail." Didn't the car start rapidly decelerating when you mashed the brake pedal? If not, there is a malfunction/deficiency with your car's braking system.

Then, just 3 FEET from impact, you think the car did something to stop itself? The warnings going off don't mean the car did something beyond what you were already doing (standing on the brake). It was just alerting you that a collision was imminent. My car often alerts with sounds and a flashing "BRAKE" when people are slowing down and turning left in front of me, for example.

You claim the three other cars swerved because they "didn't have your tech" and "their regular braking failed." Actually, they took the proper action in this emergency scenario. You should have done exactly what they did, since you felt you were going to hit someone!

Your comment that "their regular braking too having failed them" indicates you may not understand these safety systems. There is no secondary/supplemental braking system. It can only apply maximum braking force via the ABS system, which is the same thing you did yourself during the panic stop (27 feet BEFORE the car recognized a potential collision).

It's great that you love your new car, but from what you described, the collision features did NOT have anything to do with you stopping in time.
Last edited by researcher on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm
Thanks for sharing. I will forward to my DW. She is thinking about a Porsche Macan. I suggested her a loaded Subaru Outback at 1/2 of the price of a base Macan.
Good luck.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Your Subaru Outback 3.6 Touring is a very poor performer when it comes to braking..

Braking is not the Subaru Outback’s forte. With a 70-mph-to-zero braking distance of 192 feet, our 3859-pound Outback 3.6R Touring didn’t just perform poorly among its competitive set, it simply performed poorly. Consider that a 2015 Ford Expedition, heavier by 2269 pounds, required 22 feet less to come to a halt from the same velocity. Adding salt to the Outback’s braking wound is a rather squishy brake pedal.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ver-page-4

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 pm

researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Almost to the top while driving at speed limit I saw vehicles no more than 10 yards fully stopped. I braked hard to no avail. Approx 1 yard from ahead car my dash started blinking red -imminent collision detected or something- and then came to a screeching halt. Probably 6 inches from impact.

I look up and in rear view mirror see 3 vehicles barreling down and start panicking. Just then those three cars, likely wo my tech, fill that empty road to my right. They all must have swerved their regular braking too having failed.
I'm a bit confused by your story...
You were driving at the speed limit and saw cars fully stopped 30 feet ahead. What speed were you driving at the time?

You "braked hard to no avail." Didn't the car start rapidly decelerating when you mashed the brake pedal? If not, there is a malfunction/deficiency with your car's braking system.

Then, just 3 FEET from impact, you think the car did something to stop itself? The warnings going off don't mean the car did something beyond what you were already doing (standing on the brake). It was just alerting you that a collision was imminent. My car often alerts with sounds and a flashing "BRAKE" when people are slowing down and turning left in front of me, for example.

You claim the three other cars swerved because they "didn't have your tech" and "their regular braking failed." Actually, they took the proper action in this emergency scenario. You should have done exactly what they did, since you felt you were going to hit someone!

Your comment that "their regular braking too having failed them" indicates you may not understand these safety systems. There is no secondary/supplemental braking system. It can only apply maximum braking force via the ABS system, which is the same thing you did yourself during the panic stop.

It's great that you love your new car, but from what you described, the collision features did NOT have anything to do with you stopping in time.
+1

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused as to what is being described. I would not want a "automatic braking system" that only works one yard out.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm
All the times when I've almost died, I've actually almost died. Lol.

Glad to hear the autonomous emergency braking works in a pinch. I do wish it wouldn't go off from approaching vehicles on narrow roads.

JT
Or vehicles slowly but steadily making a turn well in front of you. Drives me up a wall!

OP, glad to hear you are ok. Hope the people in the cars behind you fared as well.

pochax

Post by pochax » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 pm

+1

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused as to what is being described. I would not want a "automatic braking system" that only works one yard out.
...I braked hard to no avail.
and i would not want a car where only the ABS system works but the manual brakes do not :shock:

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Thank you for posting your experience. I bought the same car last Dec since I would be doing a lot of long distance driving at high speeds in winter weather commuting between states. I bought it for the whole bundle of safety features and they are all new to me as my old car was 15 years old.

You asked for others take on the new safety features. Mine is bit mixed but overall good. A lot of the constant beeping/blinking drove me nuts at first and I considered disabling a lot of it. Then what I found is that it is making me a better driver. I've always considered myself a very good and safe driver (I'm better than most), I am learning through the tech that I sometimes <10% of the time forget to use a turn signal, the steering fights me unless I have it on, it corrected my behavior and it has been months since I forgot. The eyesight is priceless for freeway trips with hills and truckers as the speed fluctuates quite a bit and it alerts me to changes. I guess I used to come up on cars from behind a bit more quickly than I should, now I slow earlier. The rear cross traffic detection is great in parking lots and I don't get honked at for just pulling out to where I can see anything around the behemoths on either side of me. Blind spot detection still bugs me but it is less so with time and it helpful especially at higher speeds.

All in all I think it improves safety in a couple of ways; avoidance and early warning of events caused by others and it also makes me less of a hazard of complacence to others.

Glad you're alive. :beer
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:39 pm

I love the safety features on my new Camry. Auto breaking braking is a great feature.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Kompass wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:49 pm
I've always considered myself a very good and safe driver (I'm better than most)
I read somewhere (maybe on this forum?) that over 90% of drivers consider themselves above average.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

FiveSixAce

Post by FiveSixAce » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm

A few years ago I asked my friend, a vehicular homicide detective, what the safest cars out there were. He told me to get the heaviest vehicle I could afford, and the laws of physics were the best safety feature.

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Wish I had automatic braking as it would have saved me from a crash in August.

I was driving a 2016 Dodge Durango that rear-ended a VW Jetta that was at a dead stop at 45 mph. Air bags & seat belts really do save one from injury. Automatic braking would have been even better, as then there would have been no crash at all.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm

KJVanguard wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I was driving a 2016 Dodge Durango that rear-ended a VW Jetta that was at a dead stop at 45 mph.
The Durango didn’t rear end anything...you did because you weren’t paying attention or didn’t maintain enough space to break in time.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:39 pm
I love the safety features on my new Camry. Auto breaking s a great feature.
I’d much prefer auto “braking.” :shock:

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

FiveSixAce wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm
A few years ago I asked my friend, a vehicular homicide detective, what the safest cars out there were. He told me to get the heaviest vehicle I could afford, and the laws of physics were the best safety feature.
Agree. Mercury Grand Marquis? 8-)

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm
Your Subaru Outback 3.6 Touring is a very poor performer when it comes to braking..

Braking is not the Subaru Outback’s forte. With a 70-mph-to-zero braking distance of 192 feet, our 3859-pound Outback 3.6R Touring didn’t just perform poorly among its competitive set, it simply performed poorly. Consider that a 2015 Ford Expedition, heavier by 2269 pounds, required 22 feet less to come to a halt from the same velocity. Adding salt to the Outback’s braking wound is a rather squishy brake pedal.

Very appropriate username :)

Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
MY Fiat 850 had the best "auto BREAKING" features of any car I previously owned, followed closely by a 1982 Camaro.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 pm

researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Is it possible that the 3.6R has hard compound rubber fuel economy/extra long life tread tires that if swapped out for some more performance oriented rubber would improve its braking performance ?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm

delamer wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
So true!

Fixed.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Gort wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm
delamer wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
MY Fiat 850 had the best "auto BREAKING" features of any car I previously owned, followed closely by a 1982 Camaro.
I had a 1976 Ford Pinto.

Talk about “auto breaking.” Although “auto exploding” is probably more accurate.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm
Gort wrote:
delamer wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
I had a 1976 Ford Pinto.

Talk about “auto breaking.” Although “auto exploding” is probably more accurate.
I knew someone in college with a 76 pinto...Always kept a package of marshmallows and a few sticks in the trunk, just in case there was a spontaneous reason to roast them.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Big Worm

Post by Big Worm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 pm

I don't get it either :-(

sambb

Post by sambb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 pm

agree with the OP - this is a great reason to lease and get new tech every 3 years. I think you'd have been in serious trouble in a 1999 camry.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
FiveSixAce wrote:
Agree. Mercury Grand Marquis? 8-)
VOLVO

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Ugh...I hate that situation, tech or no tech. Forced to a sudden stop and you glance back to see cars coming up fast behind you.

It happened to me once when somebody made a rather sudden stop to wait for a chance to make a left turn on a busy 2-lane highway.

I was paying attention and didn't have much trouble stopping, but I looked up to see a minivan barrelling down on my rearview mirror. I saw the front suspension compress as he hit the brakes far too late and pressed myself back in my seat to brace for a rear impact. Just in time, the driver gave up on braking and swerved onto the gravel shoulder, I'm pretty sure still going over 40 mph.

A relative nearly died recently in a nearly identical situation, because in her case, the at-fault driver swerved too late. He hit her off center, and spun her sideways into oncoming traffic, which had no time to brake

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 pm

FiveSixAce wrote:
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety researches this topic to help insurance companies set rates. The correlation between mass and safety is actually fairly spotty. There is a general size trend, but it is not entirely consistent within some categories, and there is quite a bit of variation between specific models that defies the correlation. For example, the Honda Civic has a lower driver fatality rate than the Nissan Titan.

See the data here (the newest model years don't have enough accrued data to be included, so the latest model year is 2014 currently):
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusrepo ... cle/52/3/1

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm
Gort wrote:
delamer wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
I had a 1976 Ford Pinto.

I had a friend who had a pinto with auto breaking. We were out on a cold winter night and the steering wheel broke off in his hands driving down the road.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm

jayk238 wrote:
I hope this story meets criteria.

I recently purchased subaru outback w all bells whistles. I asked for advice here and appreciate it.

Yesterday i was driving high way and pulled up to crest of a small hill. The road is a part of the city. I was driving early am to shoot an Ad for tv. Almost to the top while driving at speed limit I saw vehicles no more than 10 yards fully stopped. I braked hard to no avail. Approx 1 yard from ahead car my dash started blinking red -imminent collision detected or something- and then came to a screeching halt. Probably 6 inches from impact.

Thinking I was about to die I felt safer and my hands start shaking. I look up and in rear view mirror see 3 vehicles barreling down and start panicking. I know I dont have time to reverse but look to my right for an exit. Just then those three cars, likely wo my tech, fill that empty road to my right. They all must have swerved their regular braking too having failed. Screeching sounds the entire way. Just awful. My life flashed before me. Hands shaking I go to the shoot. Oddly calm the entire time for my first ever shoot. I guess near death gives perspective.

I am lucky I have this car. I am lucky the road to right was empty. Somebody was looking over me. The subaru was to come this Friday. Fortunate for me it came a week early. I am damn lucky.

People have said the safety stuff is superfluous. I dont care. It saved me. Love my outback 18 3.6 touring. Im probably a lifer unless the next gen is permanently going away with the 255 hp (which they might). I know next years refresh does away with it

Could I have slowed at crest. Sure. Shoulda coulda woulda. Moral of story-every bit of help is good!

Whats your take on your safety features?
If anyone cares im happy to share my negotiating process. I dont think I got best deal ever but the best one in my area.
https://one.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/Safety1nNum ... 812008.pdf

A car going only 20mph takes about 60 ft to stop. If it really was only 10 yds you could have only been going 15mph tops. Unfortunately I've hit cars from behind at 10-15mph. Fortunately I lived through it.

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm
The Durango didn’t rear end anything...you did because you weren’t paying attention or didn’t maintain enough space to break in time.
I really don't need a lecture. I know I screwed up and I will be paying for it for years to come on my auto insurance. I'm not perfect. I total a car every 29 years.

I have learned my lesson and am VERY conscious now about maintaining a LONG following distance, paying VERY close attention, and driving VERY conservatively. The lesson of this crash was not lost on me.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Way too much dramatization.
If you were driving speed limit there is small probability you would have died if if you hit the other cars without breaking.
If you braked and did not collide on a straight road the car did not do anything for you (except ABS).
Subaru's are cheap cars with no supernatural powers.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 pm

I would have bought the same car a couple of years ago, but it was just a little too small for me.
Best defense in driving is to be where there are no other cars.
Hey! What? That's What!

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am

jayk238 wrote:
Yesterday i was driving high way and pulled up to crest of a small hill. The road is a part of the city. I was driving early am to shoot an Ad for tv. Almost to the top while driving at speed limit I saw vehicles no more than 10 yards fully stopped...
Glad you are okay.

Got my first DL at age 17 while living in very rural Virginia. At the time, all new, young licensees had to attend a lecture by the county judge who thereafter handed out the licenses. To this day I remember him talking about the hazards of cresting a rural highway at the posted speed limit, only to confront in your lane a legally driving, farm tractor sporting a "slow moving vehicle" sign.

(as an aside... a bunch of kids also awaiting their licenses were sitting in the back of the courtroom and cutting up. The judge unceremoniously tore up their licenses (they were paper back then) and had them ejected)
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am

researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Your comment that "their regular braking too having failed them" indicates you may not understand these safety systems. There is no secondary/supplemental braking system. It can only apply maximum braking force via the ABS system, which is the same thing you did yourself during the panic stop (27 feet BEFORE the car recognized a potential collision).

I'm glad the OP is Okay.
I agree the distances cited must have been understated, but since my car is pretty old (2005)-- I've been thinking about upgrading my car to get some of these upgraded safety systems and I have never heard of the Subaru Eyesight system -I googled it. I found that in addition to applying brakes, the system applies
"Pre-collision throttle management" defined as follows: "Eyesight detects objects in front of the vehicle that you are likely to hit. It will reduce the power from the engine to help minimize the possible impact force and frontal impact damage."
https://www.subaru.com/engineering/eyesight.html

So, maybe there is a little bit of engine braking involved, too?

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am

2cents2 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am
"Pre-collision throttle management" defined as follows: "Eyesight detects objects in front of the vehicle that you are likely to hit. It will reduce the power from the engine to help minimize the possible impact force and frontal impact damage."
https://www.subaru.com/engineering/eyesight.html

So, maybe there is a little bit of engine braking involved, too?
What you described is not engine braking. It simply means the car "take the foot of the gas" if the driver is not paying attention.

In the OP's case, this does not come into play at all. He took his foot off the gas, and started braking, 27 feet before the car realized there may be a problem. So there was 100% braking and 0% throttle well before the car alerted the driver.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 am

KJVanguard wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I was driving a 2016 Dodge Durango that rear-ended a VW Jetta that was at a dead stop at 45 mph. Air bags & seat belts really do save one from injury. Automatic braking would have been even better, as then there would have been no crash at all.
I’m not sure that’s how the Automatic Braking systems work, avoiding the crash altogether, I think they are just supposed to lessen the impact. I drove a new Subaru Crosstrek recently with the Eyesight safety package, and I decided to test it by not braking while approaching a stopped car, expecting the car to start braking for me. It did not! I then had to mash the brake pedal to avoid the crash. Perhaps the level of autonomous emergency braking varies by manufacturer.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am

You were lucky. The Owner's Manual explicitly says NOT to try to test that system because of the danger.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 am

RudyS wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am
You were lucky. The Owner's Manual explicitly says NOT to try to test that system because of the danger.
When I get one of these systems there will definitely be a test with empty cardboard boxes.