tablet or small laptop for general and travel computer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
albireo13

tablet or small laptop for general and travel computer?

Post by albireo13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 am

I'm looking for a WIN machine to use in place of a tablet. I like to surf the web, read ebooks, watch a video, etc...

I had a tablet but hate entering text via touscreen.

A MS Surface is very nice but very pricey. I'd like to be < $800.

What do other folks use???
Recommendations??

AlohaJoe

Re: tablet or small laptop for general and travel computer?

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 am

If you hate entering text by touchscreen, why not just buy a keyboard?

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 am

Check out Lenovo Miix tablet/laptops. I think they are designed to compete with the MS Surface, but are a little cheaper.

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 am

Flippable Chromebook with touchscreen.

I got the Acer R11 Chromebook for $220 -- and Acer Flip 15 for $370.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 am

The Surface Go is well under $800.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:40 am

I have an android tablet and a foldable keyboard https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Bluetoot ... TXQS6J5DAG

That was all I took to Europe this summer and it did everything my little Asus 10" notebook did on previous trips. They are small and compact. The keyboard does have one little quirk where they chose form over function and the right shift key is out of place, but otherwise I am very happy with the pair.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 am

Samsung Tab 3 with keyboard. Works great!

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 am

I use a Kindle Fire. I have a keyboard for it but never use it. I found it more burdensome/clunky than typing on a touchscreen.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am

Folks, in the first sentence a Windows laptop or tablet is requested.

5 out of the first 7 suggestions are for non-Windows devices...

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:03 am

It's personal preference but if you don't like typing on the screen I'd start with a foldable/travel bluetooth keyboard with a stand for your existing tablet (if supported).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 am

albireo13 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 am
I'm looking for a WIN machine to use in place of a tablet. I like to surf the web, read ebooks, watch a video, etc...

Recommendations??
Surface Go is targeted at exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface ... surface-go
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 am

I love the Dell XPS-13 laptop for travel.

Andy.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am

Wow, $800 budget for a windows machine? You can get something very capable.

Look for:
- 8 to 16GB of RAM
- SSD (eg 256G)
- Beautiful screen

Tons of reviews here:
http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/

I always recommend Lenovo

albireo13

Post by albireo13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am

The Surface Go is possible. It's not that cheap. $699 and keyboard is an option. I'd have to see if I'd be happy with a 10" screen. I'll check that out today in a MS store.

Chromebook is interesting but, I'd like to run some WIN programs.

Lenovo Miix or Yoga seem possible.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm

onourway wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am
Folks, in the first sentence a Windows laptop or tablet is requested.

5 out of the first 7 suggestions are for non-Windows devices...
This is true, however OP states " I like to surf the web, read ebooks, watch a video, etc... " this in itself does not require a Windows machine at all. Perhaps the OP can clarify why they require a win OS.

albireo, Which Win programs are you referring too?

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 pm

I would definitely go Tablet with Bluetooth keyboard. Use the keyboard for typing, use the tablet on your lap for reading.

Different strokes, but for me I find that a Tablet is, in the words of Goldilocks: "just right". (I have a smart phone and a work laptop, but really like the tablet).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm

albireo13 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am
The Surface Go is possible. It's not that cheap. $699 and keyboard is an option. I'd have to see if I'd be happy with a 10" screen.
Where are you getting this info? Surface Go is $399 or $549, depending on the config you want. Even the higher end model equipped with the fancier Alcantara keyboard doesn't get all that close to $699.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Lenovo yoga is a great option. The keyboard is great and I prefer that over those add on keyboards you get with the surface.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 pm

My vote: Tablet. A good tablet. 100%!

Take all advice here (including mine) with a dash of salt. Bogleheads love chrome books and great deals on laptops. I use an iPad for almost all my personal computing and only use a “real computer” when absolutely necessary. I type on the iPad’s screen directly (as I’m doing now) and prefer it in almost every way to a physical keyboard.

Fun fact!
Jack Dorsey runs Twitter and Square — both multi-billion-dollar companies — from his smartphone (doesn’t use a computer, laptop or a tablet).

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 pm
My vote: Tablet. A good tablet. 100%!

Take all advice here (including mine) with a dash of salt. Bogleheads love chrome books and great deals on laptops. I use an iPad for almost all my personal computing and only use a “real computer” when absolutely necessary. I type on the iPad’s screen directly (as I’m doing now) and prefer it in almost every way to a physical keyboard.

Fun fact!
Jack Dorsey runs Twitter and Square — both multi-billion-dollar companies — from his smartphone (doesn’t use a computer, laptop or a tablet).
And I vote laptop - a good laptop.

IME tablets are toys:
- Can't really swipe and be productive, it's a glorified phone
- Can't really type, all solutions are half baked
- Not very fast
- Software is neutered

And if going tablet, at least go with Android. If going with something inexpensive for surfing the web, get a chromebook. If you have the funds, get a Macbook pro. Else - get a good windows machine. Tablet doesn't even appear on my radar. Kids use them for games but any real work they are a huge compromise.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

I spent a bunch of time on a similar decision not too long ago, including I'm sure over an hour playing with the display models at Best Buy.

I think any of these options can be quite reasonable, but my personal preferences led me to an ultra-thin 13" laptop (Lenova Yoga) for the larger, more ergonomic keyboard and screen, and better sustained performance.

The top detachables (Surface Pro, Lenovo Miix) have processors with really aggressively managed clock speeds, so peak performance actually can be nearly as good as similarly priced laptops, but they can't cool them as well, so they throttle themselves down literally in 15-30 seconds. That's good for opening programs or starting media playing, but not for doing tasks that required sustained high performance. The keyboards are also better than I expected for the detachables, but not in the same ballpark as a regular laptop. Overall, I thought they were really good compromises between laptops and tablets, but they were still compromises. Had compact size been a higher priority for me than performance and ergonomics, I probably would have chosen a Lenovo Miix rather than a 12" laptop, despite the higher cost.

Dedicated tablets obviously win for size, so if you don't need to type much, mostly browse or watch videos, and size is the top priority, they can be great. They lag in performance, ergonomics, and often in OS features, but for a lot of common activities, those factors don't matter much. I tried a Samsung model with a bluetooth keyboard, but found it pretty cramped, and packing a keyboard when traveling takes a lot away from main benefit of tablets.

As I've experienced numerous times lately, Best Buy had a better price on almost all the models I considered than Amazon. Quite a change from a few years ago.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 pm

You can get a chromebook equivalent Windows laptop like the HP Stream for about $220. You will probably want to the pay the $50(?) to upgrade from 10S to Home, but that would leave you with something with wider application support and similar specs to a chromebook for less than $300.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Fun fact!
But OP doesn't want to run a billion dollar company, they want to read ebooks, watch movies, etc. I wouldn't want to do either using a phone unless absolutely necessary, the screen is too small.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm

clemrick wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:40 am
I have an android tablet and a foldable keyboard https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Bluetoot ... TXQS6J5DAG

That was all I took to Europe this summer and it did everything my little Asus 10" notebook did on previous trips. They are small and compact. The keyboard does have one little quirk where they chose form over function and the right shift key is out of place, but otherwise I am very happy with the pair.
Looks like a nice foldable keyboard. Will this work with a Kindle Fire? I'm guess yes, as you said it works with your Android tablet, but i just want to confirm.

I just got a Kindle Fire and am thinking of taking this while traveling rather than my (older) iPad mini. Love the idea of using the keyboard with an iPhone to journal on trips.

Thanks in advance

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm

If you can wait a little bit there will likely be low end laptops that will be on sale during Black Friday week for less than $300. I would just start looking online starting the weekend before Thanksgiving.

You don't sound like you need something very powerful so pretty much any Dell or Lenovo with 8GB should be fine if it has even halfway decent reviews.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Whakamole wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm
3-20Characters wrote:
Fun fact!
But OP doesn't want to run a billion dollar company, they want to read ebooks, watch movies, etc. I wouldn't want to do either using a phone unless absolutely necessary, the screen is too small.
Not recommending a phone. Tablet. Just saying we don’t need dedicated computers as much as we used to for most things.

alwyn

Post by alwyn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:52 pm

My 2 favorites:
Dell XPS 13 (I'm using Linux, but you can use Windows)
Pixelbook (Windows is coming to chromebooks at some point, but not sure if it will need new hardware)

These 2 are amazing.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:42 pm

I would go to a store - Best Buy, Costco - and look at the different screen sizes and weights.

Tablets, even small laptops (10-11") are very portable and light. But they also have smaller screens and form factors. As they get bigger, I think they become more general purpose - movies may look a bit better with a 13" screen over a 10", but of course the laptop is bigger. 15"+ may make good desktop replacements but they are heavy.

I'd consider getting a Kindle Paperwhite for ebooks and a smaller laptop (10" to maybe 13") for movies and the web. Kindles are tiny and inexpensive, you can bring them out in the waiting area or read in bed without having to worry about finding a plug and clearing off your lap, and have a long battery life. The laptop you can save for watching movies onboard or surfing the web.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I was in a similar situation about four years ago. I didn't have a smartphone yet and couldn't decide whether to enter the Apple or Android ecosystem. I had considered a 7 or 8 inch tablet but, when I went in to look at them, I decided that 10 inches would be about the sweet spot. I was intrigued by the Asus Transformer Pad (Android) which had an optional detachable keyboard but ended up deciding on the Asus Transformer Book: similar, but with the keyboard included and a Windows 8.1 operating system (that I upgraded to Windows 10).

I've verified that I can detach and reattach the keyboard, but I essentially use it as a netbook. I assume you can read an ebook on it. In addition to web surfing and video watching, it's been nice to be able to read PDF documents when traveling. I paid about $200 for it in January 2015 and I've been happy with it. It's in the T100 series.

I now have a smartphone, but there are certain things that I find much more pleasant to view on a 10 inch screen than on a 5 inch screen.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:53 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm
Lenovo yoga is a great option. The keyboard is great and I prefer that over those add on keyboards you get with the surface.
I will put in a second for Lenovo Yoga. You can pick from several sizes depending on need.

albireo13

Post by albireo13 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Well I checked BestBuy and the Surface Go was $549 for the 8GB/128GB model. I prefer 8GB RAM. That's with no keyboard. The keyboard adds $129 so you're $678 .. not $699.

I also saw a Lenovo Yoga 720 which looked nice as well.

I think it's between these two.

albireo13

Post by albireo13 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 am

I may get a Chromebook after all. Much more frugal.
I could get a Kindle Paperwhite for reading and use the Chromebook for web surfing, watching videos, and casual file work.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 am

When I went for my MBA I used an Android tablet with a case stand and a bluetooth keyboard. It worked well for notes, spreadsheets, and for browsing the web during Saturday morning business law class.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:56 pm

I've been looking for the same thing.

So far, the top candidate at Best Buy is:

HP - Pavilion x360 with touchscreen.

with Microsoft Ink for about $500.

It folds into a tablet.

It only has about a 500GB hard drive, not a SSD.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 pm

I prefer a Linux desktop and my large screen iPhone as my only devices.
An iPad is okay for airplane movies but my iPhone is easier and it's good to make myself just read a book.
A Macbook Pro is okay but I'd rather use a desktop at home or iPhone on the go.
I would choose an iPad over a Macbook Pro unless you need a laptop for work or you use a keyboard a lot.
I've tried several Chromebooks and most of them were junk although ChromeOS is nice and simple.
Windows 10 ranges from a headache to a nightmare. I'd put Linux Mint on a Dell Laptop if you want a very simple clean OS.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Since I already have a high end big screen Android smartphone, I find a thin laptop is a good compliment to that. I have given up completely on owning tablets. My laptop is a 13 inch screen and only half an inch thick, with no moving parts (including fans), 8 GB, 256 GB SSD, weighs about 2.5 pounds, that I bought for $600 over three years ago from the Microsoft web site. With an Ipad plus keyboard, you are already at 1.5 pounds. I just slip my laptop into my backpack.

The only use case I would prefer the Ipad over a thin laptop is while using one on a plane, with its restricted space, but I only ever use my phone on the plane, anyway.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm
clemrick wrote:

Looks like a nice foldable keyboard. Will this work with a Kindle Fire? I'm guess yes, as you said it works with your Android tablet, but i just want to confirm.

I just got a Kindle Fire and am thinking of taking this while traveling rather than my (older) iPad mini. Love the idea of using the keyboard with an iPhone to journal on trips.

Thanks in advance
I don't know. Does the Fire have bluetooth? I gave up on the Fire last year when every software update made at least one of my apps not work and new apps didn't work on the Fire. That is when I bought my Lenovo tablet for my trip.

Good Luck!

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

For travel I use a Chromebook. It is good for general purpose use, including movies, facebook, web browsing, youtube, Netflix, light office automation (Google Office). Yes, you can use it to read Kindle books, but I use a paperwhite for that.

It's cheap so I don't worry as much about getting it damaged or stolen. Battery life and performance are great. I have a private VPN service so I can use public Wi-Fi safely.

We do have a full-fledged Windows laptop, but it's too big and has to be patched all the time. It's also much more expensive. It stays at home. It's fast and capable. We only use it for specific heavy-duty applications required for school or work (like programming and virtual machines.)

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:52 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm
For travel I use a Chromebook. It is good for general purpose use, including movies, facebook, web browsing, youtube, Netflix, light office automation (Google Office). Yes, you can use it to read Kindle books, but I use a paperwhite for that.

It's cheap so I don't worry as much about getting it damaged or stolen. Battery life and performance are great. I have a private VPN service so I can use public Wi-Fi safely.

We do have a full-fledged Windows laptop, but it's too big and has to be patched all the time. It's also much more expensive. It stays at home. It's fast and capable. We only use it for specific heavy-duty applications required for school or work (like programming and virtual machines.)
When we travel international, Chromebook and VPN is the perfect way to go.

sachatur

Post by sachatur » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:56 pm

I love my acer spin 5. I bought it at Costco.
https://www.costco.com/Acer-Spin-5-Touc ... 76409.html

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 pm

albireo13 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 am

Recommendations??
I use the MSFT Surface Pro 3 and love it, cannot recommend it enough. I don't think I paid that much from Costco when I bought it, but was 1-2 years ago, don't remember. (I see a new SP6 is $999... perhaps you can find an older model for much less on eBay or Newegg or Woot or somewhere). I truly think this is the ideal product for your use case.

I use an Amazon Fire tablet for work travel and flights and as a remote on the couch (Roku + Sonos apps on Fire are great). But no keyboard, I don't really type on it, just watch movies / TV on flights and kindle books.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:15 pm

clemrick wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm
clemrick wrote:

Thanks in advance
I don't know. Does the Fire have bluetooth? I gave up on the Fire last year when every software update made at least one of my apps not work and new apps didn't work on the Fire. That is when I bought my Lenovo tablet for my trip.

Good Luck!
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the keyboard, should arrive later this month.

Yes, the Fire should have bluetooth. I don't really have many apps loaded on my Fire, just a couple of news sites apps (not sure that really counts as an app).

I got a good price on the Fire during Amazon Prime Day recently (or whatever it was called). I was just curious to check it out and figured that I would possibly use it while travelling when I don't want to take potential cyber-security risks with my iPad.

So far, for what I paid for the Fire ($20, I think, and another $10 for the case) I'm satisfied enough. A very pleasant surprise was the high print and graphics quality of e-books. Far superior to my Kindle Paperwhite, and I love how I can "stretch" a page, particularly helpful for maps when traveling.